Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 things GW2 does better than any other game...

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Slythe:
    Stick to wow type games then, gw2 is not the game for you, it is not a loot grinder.
    Rifts in rift are NOT RANDOM

They always spawn in the same places, you might get a different sort of rift each time, but they always spawn at the same spots.

One thing I would like is for some of the hearts to be multi stage - like tsws quests or wars pqs. I like the way the big quests in tsw took like half an hour, you could log in and do one as a mini adventure and still get a sense of accomplishment if you didn't have much time. There should be some hearts that work like that, with say 8 stages and take half an hour to complete.

Perhaps there are further into the game, not got that far yet?
  • Smitt3kSmitt3k Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Smitt3k

Sorry but the mechanics of Rifts invasions are FAR better - the rifts do not appear in fixed locations and the invasions can take over entire zones.

In GW2 dynamic events are a misnomer - they should be called SE's - scripted/static events - always happen in the same places have no impact on the world (some have minimal impact).

Anet should be ashamed for such blatant lying - there is nothing dynamic about running a triggerd script!!

So from this point forth I am calling them SEs 

I am not sure you are playing GW2. There are alot of dynamic and sweeping changes that events have on the landscape.

I just hit 72 - so tell me a single event in GW2 where the entire zone gets taken over by an event and needs multiple groups in each part of the zone working together.....

There is nothing that even comes close to large epic Rift invasions in GW2, it's small crap where a portion of the map gets impacted for a short time before the scripted event gets triggered again 5 min later.

Theres an event in the Sylvari lands that takes over the whole zone. Several DE's go off at once where you must fight these huge creatures as a smaller version of the creature. This leads to another DE if successful where you have to fight this frog chick that randomly turns you into different creatures. 

GW2 DE's are a great improvement over the static Rifts and invasions in Rift. Rift simply doesn't compare. The chains that spread out from the DE's that you find if you listen to the NPC's and follow them are awsome. Getting the full story of an area is also a wonderful thing for me. All these different things are going on but if you listen and read you get to see how it all ties in. One event leads to another. 

No GW2's DEs aren't completely dynamic, they are scripted after all. But they change up within set number of outcomes. Rifts are truly static and got boring very quick. 

Maybe you got GW2 and Rift mixed up? Because what you posted was simply flat out wrong and the big events start to happen in the second zone that you get too lol. Being 72 it's hard to believe you missed them all unless you simply bought mats and crafted to 72 like others or simply stayed in the first zone and never left. 

This^^^^ And then some. There are single events that occupy as much space as an entire zone in Rift. Comparing the DE's in GW2 with rift invasions is well, it is silly, and led to my earlier statement that we must not be playing the same game. You can not like the game and that is okay but your info is just wrong.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Slythe
    Originally posted by Meridion

2. Exploration and down-leveling - And no. I DO know that this game is not free roam columbus style like Dark and Light or Star Wars Galaxies. It even has zoning. But it REWARDs people for exploring, not with crap, but with actual progression related stuff. And downleveling guarantees that no matter how epic you think you are, a level 5 drake CAN kill you. Love it. 

That's the thing that I hate most about the game, to be honest. It totally kills any sense of character progression and getting better equipment. You never feel powerful, you never feel like all that time you spent playing and leveling made a difference.

When four level 10 mosquitos can kill your level 60 character, there's a problem.

When every zone that isn't for max level content becomes obsolete and you get no xp, have no reason to ever set foot in it again, can't group with lower level friends, and have zero chance of dying there's a problem.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Slythe:
    Stick to wow type games then, gw2 is not the game for you, it is not a loot grinder.

I'm sorry for being this offensive, but, really, get off your high horse.

He didn't say anything about gear grinding or wow type games. And he IS right, to some extent.

It's not just GW2, but in almost every mmo, rpg and general video game. As we progress further, we become more powerfull allowing us to face stronger challenges.

If i start out week, and keep getting stronger to the point i can face the most powerfull enemies in Tyria face to face and keep strong, it' somewhat stupid if, when facing a farm worm with my legendary gear and weapons, i get killed in 3 shots.

Look, i'm not saying i hate sidekicking. I do like it because, when at 80, all the map becomes equal. Before there's stil level gated content, which i don't like, but after it's all endgame.

But i can still understand what Slythe is talking about when it can feel very weird. The solution is not optional scaling, IMHO since jerks can ruin DE's for the "lolz", but it's still a valid way of looking at things. To me, GW2 progression systems feels bad in many areas from what i tried in beta.

Attacking him with that kind of phrasing only makes you look bad. There's good and bad points to side-kicking.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Slythe:

I'm sorry for being this offensive, but, really, get off your high horse.

He didn't say anything about gear grinding or wow type games. And he IS right, to some extent.

It's not just GW2, but in almost every mmo, rpg and general video game. As we progress further, we become more powerfull allowing us to face stronger challenges.

If i start out week, and keep getting stronger to the point i can face the most powerfull enemies in Tyria face to face and keep strong, it' somewhat stupid if, when facing a farm worm with my legendary gear and weapons, i get killed in 3 shots.

Look, i'm not saying i hate sidekicking. I do like it because, when at 80, all the map becomes equal. Before there's stil level gated content, which i don't like, but after it's all endgame.

But i can still understand what Slythe is talking about when it can feel very weird. The solution is not optional scaling, IMHO since jerks can ruin DE's for the "lolz", but it's still a valid way of looking at things. To me, GW2 progression systems feels bad in many areas from what i tried in beta.

Attacking him with that kind of phrasing only makes you look bad. There's good and bad points to side-kicking.

Just want to add that the person you quoted is also wrong, GW2 is a loot grinder game, I am currently grinding to get my first legendary, you need to grind to get better looking gear from instances and you need to grind karma to buy better gear, you even need to grind money or materials to craft gear.

So yeah he is wrong in that respect, what GW2 isnt, is a game where loot is absolutely tied to character progression.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Sorry but the mechanics of Rifts invasions are FAR better - the rifts do not appear in fixed locations and the invasions can take over entire zones.

In GW2 dynamic events are a misnomer - they should be called SE's - scripted/static events - always happen in the same places have no impact on the world (some have minimal impact).

In Rift there are periods when you can relax - lulls between rifts and invasions - this feels more natural. GW2 is non stop same scripted events that happen around the clock repeatedly - its way too forced and annoying.

Also Rifts invasions can encompass entire zones - needing multiple groups of players working in different areas of the zone simultaneously. GW2 scripted events happen in small concentrated areas 

Anet should be ashamed for such blatant lying - there is nothing dynamic about running a triggerd script!!

To each their own. Rifts to me were the most boring, reperitive and annoying thing ever conceived in a game.

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

With the Gorfang and later on Badlands merges we've had 200+ vs 300+ keep sieges/defences in Warhammer with no lag. I doubt GW2 can handle this kind of stuff.

Also for your info, not a flame here, none cares about PVE anymore in warhammer as it's all PvP (scenarios) and RvR (lakes) from level 1 up till rr100.

GW2 is a niche game and I'm enjoying my time, but for the RvR it's still war. I still play both.

It's not a grind if you're not forced to do it to be competative. Sure you can grind for better looking gear in gw2, but its a personal choice. Not doing it won't lead to getting 1 shot in pvp or falling behind the pve progression curve.

So its not really a grind.
  • AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97
    One thing I would like is for some of the hearts to be multi stage - like tsws quests or wars pqs. I like the way the big quests in tsw took like half an hour, you could log in and do one as a mini adventure and still get a sense of accomplishment if you didn't have much time. There should be some hearts that work like that, with say 8 stages and take half an hour to complete.

So basically turn the Hearts into Dynamic Events? Remember Dynamic Events are not single events but a series of smaller events that form a chain where each Event is affected by the one that preceeded it, and its this fluidity and change, that is based on player outcomes that makes them 'Dynamic'. It many ways I would compare the Dynamic Events to these 'multi-stage' quests that you speak of. Actually much of what you suggest is already fulfilled by the Dynamic Events, where entire chains can take an hour to compete, effect the enfiroment around you, and may end in an epic boss battle. Remember people the Hearts were added not to replace traditional questing but to help guide players in their progressions, vary up the gameplay a bit, and if you talk to the scouts that direct you to the hearts - add a bit of depth and context to the world as you explore.

Also to the people complaining that the Dynamic Events seem 'static' have you ever failed a Dynamic Event?

The success and failure of an event can completely change the area around it. Fail to destroy/stop the rebuilding that bridge? Monster spawns double and the area behind it gets saturated by Centaurs. Fail to build/defend that ice sculpture? Those neutral Ice Elementals become hostile and the craftsment and merchants that were in that cave go away till you neutralize the Elementalists again. The water supply gets poisoned? Toxic blobs will keep overruning that area until someone develops a cure. Its also these success/failure states that determine what other events are available to you. Get on at an odd time at night, or an underpopulated map and fail some events and you will begin to see exactly why Dynamic Events are called 'Dynamic'.

It's not a grind if you're not forced to do it to be competative. Sure you can grind for better looking gear in gw2, but its a personal choice. Not doing it won't lead to getting 1 shot in pvp or falling behind the pve progression curve.

So its not really a grind.

No thats bullshit, its a grind if you want to achieve something and the only way to achieve that something you want is to "grind" which is widely defined as a repetitive task, your definition of grind is your own and its not the widely accepted definition. 

It has nothing to do with progression curve or being 1 shot in pvp, I have seen you making these strawman arguments constantly.

The end result does not come until later in the equation the grind is simply in the act of attaining something you want, it could be getting a pet rock, if it requires you to kill 1000s of mobs to get it its a grind, the only thing I would argue is that if you like to kill mobs over and over to get a pet rock you might not consider a grind something you enjoy doing.

Originally posted by Raven

No thats bullshit, its a grind if you want to achieve something and the only way to achieve that something you want is to "grind" which is widely defined as a repetitive task, your definition of grind is your own and its not the widely accepted definition. 

It has nothing to do with progression curve or being 1 shot in pvp, I have seen you making these strawman arguments constantly.

The end result does not come until later in the equation the grind is simply in the act of attaining something you want, it could be getting a pet rock, if it requires you to kill 1000s of mobs to get it its a grind, the only thing I would argue is that if you like to kill mobs over and over to get a pet rock you might not consider a grind something you enjoy doing.

You are misrepresenting his point. He is saying it is not a grind because it is entirely optional.

Unlike other games Guild Wars has always followed a 'Horizontal' rather than 'Vertical' gear progression model. Once you reach a level of gear, all gear will have the same base stats (minus slotted sigils, runes, inscriptions), and the only reason to grind is for cosmetic ones.

In his case I would agree, you don't have to grind to remain competative, and the grinding there is totally optional and is done for vanity, rather than progression purposes.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I became bored of rifts very fast. they became repetitive. just random mobs spawning from time to time. I prefer des b/c they tell a story. They are not perfect but I don't do any de more than 1 time unles it is a big boss battle. They give a reson for all those npcs walking around and speaking and doing something. B/c there are only des and hearts in gw2 the whole game feels alive.
    Originally posted by Ariolander

You are misrepresenting his point. He is saying it is not a grind because it is entirely optional.

Unlike other games Guild Wars has always followed a 'Horizontal' rather than 'Vertical' gear progression model. Once you reach a level of gear, all gear will have the same base stats (minus slotted sigils, runes, inscriptions), and the only reason to grind is for cosmetic ones.

In his case I would agree, you don't have to grind to remain competative, and the grinding there is totally optional and is done for vanity, rather than progression purposes.

His point was very clear, he states that you dont have to grind to stay competitive -> TRUE 

He states that you can grind for cosmetic gear -> TRUE

He states that because its optional its not a grind ( right there the end of his post ) -> UNTRUE

If you want to attain cosmetic gear you need to grind, it doesnt matter if its to stay competitive or not, there is a gear grind in GW2 for cosmetic gear. So if you want any of those you will have to grind. My point was quite clear the end goal of the item does not come into the equation at all, saying something is optional doesnt remove the grind needed to acquire it.

He and you now apparently are arrogantly assuming that people wont want to play the game to acquire the legendary cosmetic gear and the dungeon gear which plenty will, those people have a grind waiting for them when they reach maximum level, optional or not, its a grind to acquire the items.

Edit: Actually even reading his statement out loud, it doesnt make sense.

"There is a grind for cosmetic gear, but because its optional its not a grind" 

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

In Rift there are periods when you can relax - lulls between rifts and invasions - this feels more natural. GW2 is non stop same scripted events that happen around the clock repeatedly - its way too forced and annoying.

Also Rifts invasions can encompass entire zones - needing multiple groups of players working in different areas of the zone simultaneously. GW2 scripted events happen in small concentrated areas 

agree 100%....resubbed back to Rift yesterday

For people that like grinding - they can do it.
    But.. arenanet is not FORCING the rest of us to join the gear grind train

Therefore to me it is not a grind, its something some people will choose to do.

I'm sure some people will have a problem with gw2 in that they can't poopsock to win at pvp or lord it over people in pve because they don't have the right gear. But I'm glad, I want them to feck off back to their generic EQ/wow clones, it will be good for gw2 community.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

you forgot; no ninja looting or ninja mobs:)

Yup.  That alone, griefer control, it does better than any other MMO.  At least, in my humble.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

I must have been imagining it all then, as I was pretty sure the events I did in game had very clear and rational impacts to the surrounding world... Obviously not everything is world changing as there are billions of events but those are in there too.

His point was very clear, he states that you dont have to grind to stay competitive -> TRUE 

He states that because its optional its not a grind ( right there the end of his post ) -> UNTRUE

If you want to attain cosmetic gear you need to grind, it doesnt matter if its to stay competitive or not, there is a gear grind in GW2 for cosmetic gear. So if you want any of those you will have to grind. My point was quite clear the end goal of the item does not come into the equation at all, saying something is optional doesnt remove the grind needed to acquire it.

He and you now apparently are arrogantly assuming that people wont want to play the game to acquire the legendary cosmetic gear and the dungeon gear which plenty will, those people have a grind waiting for them when they reach maximum level, optional or not, its a grind to acquire the items.

Edit: Actually even reading his statement out loud it doesnt make sense.

This statement in itself doesnt make sense.

Again I think you are misreading his argument.

He is not saying that "grinding does not exist" but rather "grinding is not something you have to do". I don't think anyone is going to argue that there is 'no grind' but I think one of Guild Wars's main design philosphies has always been to minimize the amount of it REQUIRED.

Example: It is possible to grind monsters for EXP all the way to lvl 80. So yes, you can level grind to 80.That being said you don't have to level grind to 80, in fact level grinding mobs is probably the single most inefficient way of leveling to 80. The grind is there, you can choose to grind, but you don't HAVE to do so if you don't wish to. In fact, I think many people would call you a moron for making that choice, but at least, the choice is there for you to make.

Likewise I think to strive to have a completely 'grindless' game as you suggest, would be possible, but it would make for a very boring goal. One of the advantages of 'Horizontal' progression is that it is easy to maintain competative, but even at your peak competative-ness there is still a reason to come back to the game. Get rid of that reason (grind) makes for a game that no one wants to play, and people complaining there is "no endgame".

Personally, I would rather have an optional grind for cosmetic items than nothing at all. For those of us who like the default armor, or maybe don't mind spending on a cash shop, I am glad those options are there too.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    For people that like grinding - they can do it.
    But.. arenanet is not FORCING the rest of us to join the gear grind train

Therefore to me it is not a grind, its something some people will choose to do.

I'm sure some people will have a problem with gw2 in that they can't poopsock to win at pvp or lord it over people in pve because they don't have the right gear. But I'm glad, I want them to feck off back to their generic EQ/wow clones, it will be good for gw2 community.

Please stop talking as if GW2 is some alien MMO compared to others.  It's the same thing in a different package.  Ive gone through 2 zones (plus begginer zone and city) and am currently level 20 norn warrior....every "dynamic" event is a rinse and repeat fest of repitition....it's all kill quest grind it out or collect this...you may get a boss battle at the end sometimes, but it's a zerg fest where you do your best to stay alive and everyone dps's.  I have yet to find a dynamic event that is not within stone throwing distance of a heart quest and I have ALL the exploration points and got the chest from both areas.  In other words, Ive been in every part of all those zones...let no stone unturned.

So I make it to the 3rd zone and whaddya know....more brainless whack-a-mole DE's where u just kill them as they spawn...My gear looks have still not changed since I logged in for the first time and my skills have not either.  Crafting is okay, but I still think they need to do away with having to craft components to make the gear...why not just make the gear?  

I think ANET pooped a big on on this game as far as PVE goes.  It's one of the worst PVE games Ive played in a long time.  The fact that someone brought up the fact that rifts arent better than DE's is insane.  They are, and on top of that, they are not there for questing and exp purposes (you can gain exp from them though).....nope there are a plethora of regular quests to partake in as well as find lore.  

Lastly, the worst decision ANET made was to not include mounts....I dont want to beam up to different parts of the map....this aint star trek man....I want a fast mount to take me there....

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

DE's in 1-about 25 zones are a bit zergy, after that they are so much more fun because you'll generally have a lot less people, more complex events, longer chains, and more difficult encounters.

Makes me use my "only battle rez an idiot twice" rule quite often.

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

you forgot; no ninja looting or ninja mobs:)

Best mmo i have played. there is always people, never feel lonely.

Kudos on the ninja looting. Thats one of my fav parts about this game.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

" Gear and progression becomes worthless because you're never overpowered on low level zones."

^ Why this game is the game I have been waiting on. I can ACTUALLY play with my friends who just got into the game. Power leveling, Trinity and Raiding be damned. It's about exploration and story for me.

Seriously, have prob purchased 20 games this year and THIS is the game I have been waiting for, for all the reasons the OP has expressed.

Originally posted by Ariolander

Edit: Actually even reading his statement out loud it doesnt make sense.

This statement in itself doesnt make sense.

Again I think you are misreading his argument.

He is not saying that "grinding does not exist" but rather "grinding is not something you have to do". I don't think anyone is going to argue that there is 'no grind' but I think one of Guild Wars's main design philosphies has always been to minimize the amount of it REQUIRED.

Example: It is possible to grind monsters for EXP all the way to lvl 80. So yes, you can level grind to 80.That being said you don't have to level grind to 80, in fact level grinding mobs is probably the single most inefficient way of leveling to 80. The grind is there, you can choose to grind, but you don't HAVE to do so if you don't wish to. In fact, I think many people would call you a moron for making that choice, but at least, the choice is there for you to make.

Likewise I think to strive to have a completely 'grindless' game as you suggest, would be possible, but it would make for a very boring goal. One of the advantages of 'Horizontal' progression is that it is easy to maintain competative, but even at your peak competative-ness there is still a reason to come back to the game. Get rid of that reason (grind) makes for a game that no one wants to play, and people complaining there is "no endgame".

Personally, I would rather have an optional grind for cosmetic items than nothing at all. For those of us who like the default armor, or maybe don't mind spending on a cash shop, I am glad those options are there too.

You are completely misrespresenting my view, are you and Shaky related or something why do you keep bringing up progression and competitiveness. When did I mention that and why do you believe I give two shits about competitiveness, I just want to have FUN you know what you guys have been preaching for 2 years on these forums.

For me to have FUN with my legendary sword, I do not care if its optional for you and for your aunt, uncle and grandma, I want to get the cosmetic gear to continue having FUN with my character, and for that, ANet did not go out of their way to make that achievement interesting, they just introduced a grind the same way WoW had a grind to get items that I wanted because they looked kickass and sure I had lots of fun doing bosses the first time but then it just became a grind because the damn thing never dropped.

Your grinding mobs to level up analogy is not suitable becuase there is no other way to get my legendary weapon other than grind for materials or grind for gold to buy said materials. On top of that I need to grind levels to get 200 skill points.

I also didnt suggest anything, that is your own speculation and your own opinion and I have nothing to do with it, I never even once talked about endgame, progression or competitiveness.

Originally posted by Randayn

Please stop talking as if GW2 is some alien MMO compared to others.  It's the same thing in a different package.  Ive gone through 2 zones (plus begginer zone and city) and am currently level 20 norn warrior....every "dynamic" event is a rinse and repeat fest of repitition....it's all kill quest grind it out or collect this...you may get a boss battle at the end sometimes, but it's a zerg fest where you do your best to stay alive and everyone dps's.  I have yet to find a dynamic event that is not within stone throwing distance of a heart quest and I have ALL the exploration points and got the chest from both areas.  In other words, Ive been in every part of all those zones...let no stone unturned.

So I make it to the 3rd zone and whaddya know....more brainless whack-a-mole DE's where u just kill them as they spawn...My gear looks have still not changed since I logged in for the first time and my skills have not either.  Crafting is okay, but I still think they need to do away with having to craft components to make the gear...why not just make the gear?  

So wait? You are saying that you are 1/4th through the level progression, haven't even unlocked your entire skillbar, dungeons, exploration mode, and probably have less than 15% map completion and you can say decisively that GW2 has shitty PvE? Seious props man.

Also for anyone who says that the Dynamic Events are 'nothing special' and is nothing but killing/fetching things I would like to ask: What did you honestly expect? Realistic expectations people. The Dynamic Events are a nice departure from your traditional Quest Hubs, and add a layer of depth to the game world that you simply don't get from the old 'wheel and spoke' quest systems of old.

Likewise anyone who things you can zerg through PvE really needs to wait until their first Dungeon. The game doesn't really open up till lvl 30, when you get your final skill on your skill bar, and are able to experience Dungeons and Dungeon Bosses. Zerging and auto-attacking may have worked before, but most people are in for a rude awakening when they first visit Ascalonian Caverns (the first dungeon)

Edit: Final reply to Raven - Enjoy your grind. You literally brought it upon yourself.

Personally, I am glad that GW2 is not a game of 'instant gratification' sometimes it is not having something that makes it worthwhile, but all you went through to have it. If everyone had access to Super Epic Flame Sword of Awesomeness skins right from the start, it wouldn't be anything special, and having it wouldn't mean anything to me.