Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry GW2, Tera, and Rift, I am returning to WAR!

After having tried the above referenced games and having been left with a less than exciting experience. I am returning to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

WAR is the only mmorpg to give me those "Oh, $#!+" PvP moments. An honest feeling of peril and loss exists with every keep loss and battleground defeat. Players of the above referenced games should ask themselves, what is the point of our PvP? Where does it leave the world (in which we have chosen to escape) as far as consequence to our faction's side? Is their any win or loss consequence? Only WAR has provided that experience.

Despite declining population, I choose to play that which is fun and not chase the next best thing. Otherwise, your desktop begins to look much like mine--until this very moment.

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I started to miss Warhammer Online alot again when playing GW2.

what I dont miss is that I was locked at endgame. No one wanted to have me in their sieges since all had private parties.

If just War Online would go f2p instead of SWTOR....

EA WHY WOULDNT YOU MAKE WAR ONLINE F2P!!!!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

agree -  i have no interest in swtor

hope EAs other games DAOC, WAR get some ftp love

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by marsmercer

After having tried the above referenced games and having been left with a less than exciting experience. I am returning to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

WAR is the only mmorpg to give me those "Oh, $#!+" PvP moments. An honest feeling of peril and loss exists with every keep loss and battleground defeat. Players of the above referenced games should ask themselves, what is the point of our PvP? Where does it leave the world (in which we have chosen to escape) as far as consequence to our faction's side? Is their any win or loss consequence? Only WAR has provided that experience.

Despite declining population, I choose to play that which is fun and not chase the next best thing. Otherwise, your desktop begins to look much like mine--until this very moment.

Really? Before you do, have you considered DaoC?

Because DaoC have all that and a lot more, even if it have aged rather badly.

Personally I like holding stuff in GW2 but everyone have different likes, but if you havnt tried DaoC give it a go first before going back to WAR, it might be worth it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I played war for nearly 2 years, while it brought some good things to mmos like pvp tanking, the tok and pqs sorry but gw2 is the better game.

I agree that war is a better game than swtor though. Imagine how good war would be if it even had a quarter of the money spent on it that they wasted on that crappy space wow.

One thing I don't like in gw2 though is the no names in pvp thing.

I suggest daoc / war fans look at gw2, ps2 & maybe TESO. There's no way ea will ever support war properly or make a daoc 2, in fact I hope they never make a daoc 2 as they would turn it into a stupid instanced to hell wow clone.
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

agree -  i have no interest in swtor

hope EAs other games DAOC, WAR get some ftp love

It will not work so well for them. If you think about it, all games that have done a good transition are PvE games. PvP games that are F2P tends to be a disaster since they sell gear that makes you better than anyone not paying. That is no real disaster in a PvE game like TOR but WAR and DaoC would become P2win in a second, and real pay2win unlike GW2 and LOTRO.

Or you might have some suggestion how they could make them F2P, earn money and not make it P2win? I cant think of any myself except giving you a single scenario in war and charging you for every other one, or something else that would turn away all players fast.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

WAR still exists? Haven't heard anything about it for ages.

When I bought the game, I played up to level 20 or 22 or something. But then I got bored. Though I like the character models and graphics.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I played war for nearly 2 years, while it brought some good things to mmos like pvp tanking, the tok and pqs sorry but gw2 is the better game.

I agree that war is a better game than swtor though. Imagine how good war would be if it even had a quarter of the money spent on it that they wasted on that crappy space wow.

One thing I don't like in gw2 though is the no names in pvp thing.

I suggest daoc / war fans look at gw2, ps2 & maybe TESO. There's no way ea will ever support war properly or make a daoc 2, in fact I hope they never make a daoc 2 as they would turn it into a stupid instanced to hell wow clone.

WARs budget was $80M. TORs budget was more than GTA4 ($115M) so it was more expensive and we dont have an exact number but 1.5 to 2 times the cost is the likely sum, not more than 4 times.

Neither war or gw2 quite gets daoc

Gw2 has the 3 sides, low gear dependancy, one large pvp area rather than lots of small lakes and pve content with the pvp areas

War has the separate classes and pve content for each faction, renown ranks, strong roles for each class / spec and good rivalry by getting to know & recognise your enemy.

Planetside probably came closest to the greatness of daoc rvr despite being a mmofps rather than a mmorpg.

I would put gw2 at 3rd at this kind of pvp after daoc & planetside.
    Loke:
    This is my worry with planetside 2 being f2p, would rather pay a sub or like Asian wow, prepay for time in game.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Seriously? I'm not trying to troll or anything but WAR was a farcry from a good PvP game. To me it was the first modern example of the downfall of PvP in an MMO...mainly due to the importance of instanced pvp, lack of exploration and worlds that are so very roped off and guided and instanced. Being able to just fast travel to any land in a heart beat. Capital city battles that effected no one in the actual city....because its just an instanced mini game.

Im coming from UO, EQ, DAOC days and I even played Warhammer fantasy table top since I was 9 years old so I have love for Warhammer. But once you put such an emphasis on removing players from a world to get their pvp done...it feels fake and worthless to me. We need a modern version of DAOC with a little shadowbane and AoC features mixed in that actually works, is fun and gives players the freedom and flexibility to do what they want.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Thanks for letting us know. If you didn't my life would have been incomplete.

*sighes with relief*

Originally posted by ZigZags

Seriously? I'm not trying to troll or anything but WAR was a farcry from a good PvP game. To me it was the first modern example of the downfall of PvP in an MMO...mainly due to the importance of instanced pvp, lack of exploration and worlds that are so very roped off and guided and instanced. Being able to just fast travel to any land in a heart beat. Capital city battles that effected no one in the actual city....because its just an instanced mini game.

Im coming from UO, EQ, DAOC days and I even played Warhammer fantasy table top since I was 9 years old so I have love for Warhammer. But once you put such an emphasis on removing players from a world to get their pvp done...it feels fake and worthless to me. We need a modern version of DAOC with a little shadowbane and AoC features mixed in that actually works, is fun and gives players the freedom and flexibility to do what they want.

ESO seems to be trying that, lets see how that goes.

Personally I hope someone evolves what GW2 starts into a game with full PvP servers, a game where the entire games is WvWvW and not so gear dependant. Say, half DaoC, half GW 2 but a fully open world and PvE or PvP servers to choose from.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    This game has what 2 servers? How War is not F2P or shutdown when City of Heroes is closing doors is a mystery.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

Yeah.

I'm having fun in GW2 but for the RvR War is still far far ahead of anything else on the market.

Just so you know devs have messed up a bit City Siege. It has been moved to 60vs60 but they forget to upate the UI accordingly.  Someone has written an add-on to fix it temporarely although.

Welcome home mate

Nidwin

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by nilden
    This game has what 2 servers? How War is not F2P or shutdown when City of Heroes is closing doors is a mystery.

My intuition says contractual obligations to Games Workshop.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Well I miss WAR too but for other reasons than what OP said. Because I feel WAR, as well as all ThemeParks, have pointless PvP in the sense that it just goes around and around and losing or winning a keep does not do much. However what I miss is all the cool stuff like offensive and defensive target, the intense and well designed scenarios and the innovative classes like the ArchMage, the Bright Wizard with their interesting mechanics.

GW 2, Rift etc just feels more copy/paste of old existing games with the added twist of "dynamic" events etc. WAR I felt was much more innovative but alas they failed when they cut all that end game content like reducing capitals down to two and an end game which was just plain boring. Now EA has put the game on life support and it will never be able to reach its full potential.

It's a shame that companies like Mythic get involved with big producers like EA. Sure they will get alot of money but their games become dilluted and just generally crap. Same with Bioware now.

More to do with licensing issues between ncsoft and former coh devs cryptic.

I don't like ea, but... not only war but daoc and uo are still running.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

OP: I will probably be joining you.

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I like about GW2, but so far I don't see myself playing it long term. Also, it reminds me of Warhammer Online.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I liked the classes and artstyle of WAR. 

Sadly thats enough to keep me going until level 30 or so... then I got bored.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Enjoy your re-visit to WAR, after all choosing to play what is fun to you is a personal choice...

I will be sticking with GW2 because i choose to play what is fun to me...;)

Playing GW2..

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Declining population is putting it lightly, the game is all but dead.

Go have a look at the state of things on the official forums, it's all true.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Thanks for letting us know. If you didn't my life would have been incomplete.

*sighes with relief*

*Gasp*

Someone didn't like Guild Wars 2 and decided to return to another game.

*Gasps again*

• marsmercermarsmercer Member UncommonPosts: 26

I suppose my overall point is the persistent need for gamers alike to fall for that 'next bing thing'. It seems very much to be a case of addeled fanboi's melting into their Ritalin laced juices. Where's the prolonged satisfaction in a game? 

Certainly, I have fallen for it recently. Well, not anymore. 

I began my trek back in 1999 with the original EQ. Played DAoC for five years. WoW for two. LotRO for five (which I continue to play). I jumped into Warhammer Online during the early access pre-order days and have only briefly left that world. My entries into GW, Rift, AoC, GW2, and Tera were all short lived. 

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I'm sure the four other people still playing that POS game will welcome you with open arms.
  • marsmercermarsmercer Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Oh, to hate that which we don't understand.