Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I cant bring myself to log in

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

More nonsense from Mr stratasaurus... You have a gun, if there are two people facing you, one shouting insults and the other holding a gun, if you shoot the one shouting, you are a dead idiot, just like the stupid mobs in threat based trinity games.

EDITED from my PC to add: "you" here doesn't mean "stratasaurus" of course, it's a "generic" you.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Ya... It was much more fun having a tank round up the mobs while someone spams heals and everyone else nukes the mobs to death.
    /sarcasm

Yes it was. Or are you seriously shitting on the way MMO's have played for almost everyone all these years?

If he's not I will. MMOs have been stale for years, and the trinity is one of the reasons why.

EDIT - Heh, just read the rest of the thread. 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Well I'm VERY happy that GW2 has no holy trinity involved because the soooo praised "grouping aspect" in which everyone had a specific role turned out to be the biggest problem in most games.

Most of all in dungeons or other parts in which:

- oh you don't have this skillset or this skill? Sorry we can't take you a long!

- oh you don't have these stats? Sorry but we can't take you along

- oh you are a tank? we already have one sorry find someone else to group with (same with healers and dps)

So to be able to group up for a dungeon you needed luck to have whats needed or the luck to be wanted/needed at all or you wouldn't be able to enjoy the content.

So it promoted less acceptance, partially bad blood between players, forced skillsets, blaming 24/7 like "you didn't heal properly even we were allover the place and you actually wouldn't had been able to but since you are a healer lets blame it on you cause the others are better no matter what", among many other things.

In GW2 instead I run the Ascalon Catacombs once with a group of: 1 thief, 1 warrior, 1 mesmer, 1 guardian and me (elementalist).

The other time we had 2 rangers, me as elementalist, 1 engineer and 1 warrior.

Both times we died at some boss battles but both times we all had fun, collaborated with everything we had, learned to utilize our skills for a better approach and were successfull at the end anyway instead of failing after hours and hours only because the healer can't keep up or the tanker can't keep aggro or the dps can't kill fast enough among other things.

So in my opinion the grouping in GW2 is much more accessible and much better. Most of all it doesn't take hours to put a group together because you can team up with ANY class and be successfull.

As about the OPs comment that the survivalability of all the classes or their armor and damage is the same, I can only say that he definately didn't bothered to check the other classes beside his nor did he play with them.

If he had then he would actually know that the armor difference plays indeed a role.

As a elementalist I'm taking indeed more damage than a warrior and can die faster but its all skill dependant and healing/defensive abilities dependant aswell.

If I have various shields or buffs in my skillsets while the warrior goes only for damage then its obvious that I will survive longer against a tougher opponent.

Why? Because I can remove status effects immediately, can shield and heal myself with my skills while he takes everything and goes fast since doing damage alone won't help him against a tough opponent that applies all that.

Most of all if its a opponent that can take you out with like 3-4 hits.

I even got one shooted from enemy rangers in dungeons where warriors needed 2-3 hits to go down.

Status effects are playing a big role, how bad your armor is damaged plays a role, what skills you are using play a role.

How much damage one does plays a role aswell and is different because you can have a weapon that adds to the power while mine adds to healing. Additionaly you have traits that indeed make a difference aswel so balanced or not, not everyone does the same damage, nor everyone can receive as much damage as the OP says.

As about grouping prior to 30:

Yes you can participate in events without being in a party since everyone gets grouped when they are near, that doesn't mean that you don't heal, buff, support or rez each other, the approach is just different.

Other than that it depends if you really wanna solo or not cause the game gives you both options.

If you take more people with you in your story, things are harder, if you got together in a event things are harder.

I even was in a event with undeads in the sylvari area that was actually hard and people died a lot.

So it depends on the event and the amount of people involved as also if you wanna go do events or other activities with guilds, friends or even strangers or if you rather wanna be alone.

This game gives you two things in overall:

1) freedom

2) choice

Both great and refreshing in my opinion.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Its too easy.

Theres absolutely zero reason to group up until u hit lvl 30. Then by the time u get 30 and head to AC,, no one knows how to play their characters in a group environment; and your left with one big clusterfudge of a grouping experience.

Characters are too balanced. - Yes - I said too balanced.

A mesmer can stand and take a melee beating just as long as a Warrior or guardian.. (somethings wrong here)

Vice versa a warrior can melee hit for the same damage that a caster can drop a nuke... (somethings wrong)

Why cant a tank be that and only that,, just a tank,, and why cant a caster be taught a painfull leson when he gets too close to melee range.

It feels like soccer moms created this game.. this game where everyone wins; despite no scorekeeping and you all go home with gold metals and a false sense that somehow youve earned it.

Join a guild. The open world in all MMOs are too easy, particularly for the first half of the game. GW2 is actually the hardest open world MMO I seen the last 10 years or so but the gap to the dungeons are still really big.

Having a tank being a tank does not help in other games though, all MMOs are full of soloplayers that gained max level and then start on the group content for the first time.

No, join or make a small guild and train people up yourself instead of PUGing, that is the only way.

Oh, and play some mesmer, they are not so easy to play as you think. First time I ever heard anyone say that the balance was too good in a MMO.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Gibbonici
    Ya... It was much more fun having a tank round up the mobs while someone spams heals and everyone else nukes the mobs to death.
    /sarcasm

Yes it was. Or are you seriously shitting on the way MMO's have played for almost everyone all these years?

If he's not I will. MMOs have been stale for years, and the trinity is one of the reasons why.

The biggest problem with it is the base combat is stale.  Everyone stands still and does one thing.  There's no depth to it.  Trying to make it interesting requires gimmicks which then become stale.  It doesn't help that they tend to follow the WoW idea of making the gimmicks follow a timer, making things all the more predictable and boring.  The only thing unpredictable about such fights is the players...which is lame.

• JJOnewayJJOneway Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    /sarcasm

Yes. Not all MMO's played this way and yes it's old and overdone. 

It's not old and overdone that is just the way combat is.  It was not invented for video games by MMOs if you look at the old NES final fantasies you had warriors with guard abilities to take damage, and healers and mages that usually did the most damage.  Oh hey lets look at how fighting really happens on earth.  You send in Tanks(yes literally tanks in this case) they roll up and take damage, you have snipers and people with grenade launchers that nuke crap from range, hey you even have combat medics that don't even really fight they just patch up people that are hurt or egineers that just patch up machines that are hurt.  Hey lets go back further.  How about medievil times.  You had knights in armor that would attack point blank and keep "aggro" off the people launching arrows from range, hey you even had those guys in robes that would go around tending people's wounds.  Trinity was not created by wow or any MMO and has been part of battles for a very very long time.

No, it isn't. Please don't compare traditional MMO combat with the real world, that's just ridiculous. It's a game mechanic and that's all it is. I really don't understand all the bitching behind "Trinity Gate".

It was said from day 1 there would be no trinity so unless you just walked into a shop and grabbed the box without ever hearing about the game then you knew you were going to play a game without your favourite combat mechanic. There are many games out there that use the trinity and many that don't, so pick one that suits your playstyle and leave it at that.

For my money the way GW2 does it is much more engaging. 3 of us took on a champion mob in Gendarran fields last night and I knew I couldn't just sit back and spam dps while the tank held aggro. I had to keep on my toes and watch for the mob to decide when it was my turn to take a hiding. Without being in a group or discussing tactics we simply fell into taking turns at dps, buffs/condition removal or rezzing when necessary. To me it feels a much more organic and natural way to play than the "traditional" setup.

Like I say, if it's not your cup of tea then fine, I hope you find a game that you do enjoy as much as I enjoy this one.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260
    you need to try a elem i seem to be dieing all the time at lv6 :)
  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Seems to me like your complaint is more about the lack of a trinity system and not about the difficulty of the game. Among other things players have to learn how to use their abilities to benefit a group without pre-defined roles, which if anything is harder. It's one thing if you know the tank isn't holding aggro, the dps isn't sufficient, the healer just isn't on the ball, etc. but it's another if you wipe and you have no idea why. Especially within GW 2's highly flexible ability section that has class abilities changing with changes in weapon sets.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Good one! comparing RL combat to a (holy)trinity :)

Oh wait, you were serious ?

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Dont worry OP, better games are comming.

Well it sure as hell isn't Final Fantasy XIV: a band-aid is applied.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well I must be doing something wrong. I don't have one toon that can take the same dmg as the other. There is no ..wait after the 1st 30-60 days blah blah because its free. People IN GAME talking about things need to be fixed yet.. wow so understanding. No one is going on and on about PVP or PVE and how its bad blah blah.. 

No matter where I go.. OMG tons of people ... very fun.

"Jesus coming soon.. are you ready?"

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Zeblade

Well I must be doing something wrong. I don't have one toon that can take the same dmg as the other. There is no ..wait after the 1st 30-60 days blah blah because its free. People IN GAME talking about things need to be fixed yet.. wow so understanding. No one is going on and on about PVP or PVE and how its bad blah blah.. 

No matter where I go.. OMG tons of people ... very fun.

"Jesus coming soon.. are you ready?"

What?

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

Its too easy.

Theres absolutely zero reason to group up until u hit lvl 30. Then by the time u get 30 and head to AC,, no one knows how to play their characters in a group environment; and your left with one big clusterfudge of a grouping experience.

Characters are too balanced. - Yes - I said too balanced.

A mesmer can stand and take a melee beating just as long as a Warrior or guardian.. (somethings wrong here)

Vice versa a warrior can melee hit for the same damage that a caster can drop a nuke... (somethings wrong)

Why cant a tank be that and only that,, just a tank,, and why cant a caster be taught a painfull leson when he gets too close to melee range.

It feels like soccer moms created this game.. this game where everyone wins; despite no scorekeeping and you all go home with gold metals and a false sense that somehow youve earned it.

i am glad u have come to this realization. time to wake up.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    /sarcasm

Yes. Not all MMO's played this way and yes it's old and overdone. 

It's not old and overdone that is just the way combat is.  It was not invented for video games by MMOs if you look at the old NES final fantasies you had warriors with guard abilities to take damage, and healers and mages that usually did the most damage.  Oh hey lets look at how fighting really happens on earth.  You send in Tanks(yes literally tanks in this case) they roll up and take damage, you have snipers and people with grenade launchers that nuke crap from range, hey you even have combat medics that don't even really fight they just patch up people that are hurt or egineers that just patch up machines that are hurt.  Hey lets go back further.  How about medievil times.  You had knights in armor that would attack point blank and keep "aggro" off the people launching arrows from range, hey you even had those guys in robes that would go around tending people's wounds.  Trinity was not created by wow or any MMO and has been part of battles for a very very long time.

Excellent point.

This games playsyle does not exist in real combat.

This game is the pruduct of "everyone wins soccer kids" and "yugi-oh fighting".

@colored: Ähem.. no. You got well armored knights because they were noble mens and could afford the horse and the armor. And they were not the first either.. they send the unarmored, worst equiped into the fight first.. cannonfodder.. they were replaceable. And it is in any real combat.. there is no such thing as a tank. (and a tank isnt the first rolling into battle either)

And medics are much more a thing if the battle is done.. no healing during a battle ;) Yeap.. medics run around during a battle to try to avoid dying.. but those "fighters" dont fight any more after a medic was there.

But there is nothing wrong with diverity, but it is not well done that 1 guy tanks everything and 1 guy does all the healing... and all other do just dmg. Thats a little bit to simple. And GW2 have some diversity, but the truth is, almost noone knows how to play or what specialities their class has or of what is capable. But that wasnt much different in the first mmo with holy trinity, it was a simple tactic, but it also took some time. And in GW2 it is a little more complicated, because you can basicly do the job with any 5, but you have always to adapt with any different 5.

And 2nd.. i am a pvp player. And pve and pvp should be handled similar in combat. And no player could be forced to only attack the tank. ;) But, i liked the way it was in DAoC with the ability of the "Tanks" to Guard(block for other players), but not a lot of player/groups were capable of doing so. But that was a good mechanisnm.. and that is the way you should think. How to improve a game, how to bring more tactics, more diversity into a battle. And not how to make a battle as simple as possible aka Holy trinity in pve.

But that is just my 2 cents.

And i enjoy gw2 at the moment.. but no game is perfect by any means, everything can be improved.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    The trinity is there its just not a focused one the idea wasnt to completely get rid of the tank healer dmg it was only to diversafy it and put people on their toes. Sure an engi can throw on alot of heal power gear and then their med packs give ALOT of hp bacl but its up to the tank and dps to pay attention to that and grab them. And sure a war can build up their tuffness but they still have to be aware of the big attacks and move. I play a thief and am constantly xhalllanged in dungeons because i have to know what skills i need to survive a certain fight. Cm em is a place where in some fights i need more traps to getting the mobs away from the partu or on the ground where in some i need blind dield and multi vanishis so i dont die 3 seconds in. I see tge trinity but the way gw2 has pulled it off makes group xontent a challange again and i cant c any reason to complain.
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by 7star
    /sarcasm

Exactly.

In the meanwhile, you still have that game with the tank + healer + dps waiting for you with or without a sub. Isn't that great, too?

Ehehehe the same old crap mechanics thats why the last 3 years i was just playing aion pvp without any instances, stand combat its not more for me , no skill at all and boring to death, in GW2 or tera you really need skill or you get pawned in secs

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

This is EXACTLY the vibe I get from honeymooner GW2 fans. The "you're supposed to have FUN" and "GW2 doesn't need dmg meters" type stuff.

While it's nice, warm and fuzzy, it comes off as non-gamer. Doesn't sit well with me.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    /sarcasm

Yes, god forbid that everyone can have a go at being the mighty hero.  We casters and healers are supposed to hang back in our girly robes buffing and healing the mighty warrior so he can save the day.  I am really enjoying not being a glorified pet for a tank, which is what so many other games do...

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by nsignific

This is EXACTLY the vibe I get from honeymooner GW2 fans. The "you're supposed to have FUN" and "GW2 doesn't need dmg meters" type stuff.

While it's nice, warm and fuzzy, it comes off as non-gamer. Doesn't sit well with me.

Wow, having fun comes off as non-gamer? are you on crack? video games are for entertainment which equals fun mate. don't be so ignorant.

Originally posted by LytheEmber

(All DEs are zergs...I for one heal others and set up combos and stun mobs, etc.). 

But do you ask yourself, is it really required? Would your group have failed, had you not healed/set up combos/stunned mobs, etc?

In all likelihood, no. It's just a choice you made. Like hopping along a cobbled sidewalk avoiding cracks on the floor. It's fun to do, but it's not very useful.

I'm guessing it comes into play in the harder dungeon modes, otherwise it's a huge missed opportunity, because it does actually sound fun (the support part at least, aoe healing others is mind-numbingly boring).

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Shock horror an mmo has imabalanced classes in PVP . Thats never happened before has it !!!!! lol
    Originally posted by Butch808

Wow, having fun comes off as non-gamer? are you on crack? video games are for entertainment which equals fun mate. don't be so ignorant.

I'm sorry, but games are about competition, achieveing goals and bettering yourself. Fun is a part of that in the sense that it's a consequence. Only toddlers play for pure fun, and even then there's an innate instinct to prepare for the world through play.

Please be careful when assigning ingorance to otthers. Dangerous.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

i agree with the op

I posted before launch on this forum the same issue.. and got bashed away offcourse..

the pve is enjoyable tho... but there seems to be lack of tactics in gw2..

As i am a heavy pvp freak.. i don't see any tactics involved in teamcombat.. besides the things that you can aeo sync on the tournaments

Another problem which also mentioned in my post before launch is that the WvW is limited to 500.. this means quees..

this is already a problem on my server.. where you have to wait for 1 too 4 hours to join the WvW..

i played gw1 alot.. and only for the tournaments.. which are better tactic wise..

- you can see what your enemy is casting and interrupt it for example..

this GW2 system is more based on the individual and not teambased..

If a partymember is in trouble when taking alot of dmg.. i cannot heal fim for example..

they should have sticked with the old classes..

i see major problems coming for gw2.. when everyone is leveled up to 80 and want to enjoy the WvW and needs to wait for 1/4 hours to join it

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by Butch808

I'm sorry, but games are about competition, achieveing goals and bettering yourself. Fun is a part of that in the sense that it's a consequence. Only toddlers play for pure fun, and even then there's an innate instinct to prepare for the world through play.

Please be careful when assigning ingorance to otthers. Dangerous.

That's a restrictive definition of "game" reflecting your preference for a certain type of game.  The term gameplay for what games do in general ought to alert you to that fact.

There are several different types of gameplay in MMOs to suit different kinds of gamers.  (A famous early MMO designer called Richard Bartle created the famous Bartle types: Achiever, Socializer, Explorer and Player Killer - it's not necessarily the best categorization but it gives you some idea of just how different the things people want out of games can be). 

Achievement (competition) is only one aspect of what MMOs offer, and any MMO has to have a blend of different types of gameplay or it risks failure.

It just so happens that Achievers are most easily addicted to ladders of achievement and hamster wheels, and most willing to pay for the privilege of being addicted, so their kind of gameplay has been over-represented in subscription MMOs.

Not the least virtue of GW2 being B2P lies in the fact that the developers need not be so beholden to the Achiever mindset - i.e. grinding and competition can fall back into proper balance in GW2.

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by kulhat

I can't bring myself to log out :)

^^

This ...