Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally made it back, whats new about EVE that you like?

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Well peer pressure did me in this time and got some of the low down. It has been years since I last played out of 6 years total.

Just getting acclimated is tricky, so any new insight would be helpful.

I just read through plenty of the other Eve forums and checking out this sites information as well.

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Might help if you mention how long it's been since you played, so we know roughly how long you've been out and therefore what you missed.

Where's the any key?

• keviebyokeviebyo Member UncommonPosts: 31

I've tried to like Eve on and off for years now. Try to keep my account active so that I can keep my training going, but I just lose interest quickly. Recently, I started a new goal! Play the minimum amount I can, and make enough isk to buy a plex every month. That being said, I go between a few activities.

• Level 4 missions + salvage them - (best isk, but I don't find them fun)
    • Solo Hi-sec Exploration - Radar sites are often worth decent isk. (Or Gravimetric if you/your corp likes to mine)
    • Hauling - Use alts and websites to buy low at a popular trade station, haul to Jita or elsewhere and sell for more. Sometimes you can make 3-5 mil per jump. Sometimes you will go for hours without finding many deals.
    I read that Mining is more profitable now that it had been in the past. If you're in a 0.0 corp, doing plexes are always fun. Whenever I try to do small scale pvp, I rarely find a fight. 

Of course if you don't just want to make isk, you can do epic mission arcs or something? I started the Sisters of Eve one, but never finished.

And if you want to do naughty stuff, you can ninja salvage peoples missions, or try to find some miners and go can flipping.

Good luck!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Seems like EVE content development is on hold. Last 2 expansions were just tweaks and polish...

imo, CCP is still struggling internally and did not really recover from Incarna so the game stales.

• OldBikerOldBiker Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Seems like EVE content development is on hold. Last 2 expansions were just tweaks and polish...

imo, CCP is still struggling internally and did not really recover from Incarna so the game stales.

Depends on what you define as "content".  There have been plenty of new features in the last two patches.  They may not have been of interest to you or I but there are players benefiting from them.  Rebalancing frigates so that people actually want to fly them again was a good thing.  The mining barge rebalance was nice too.  Now I don't have to have a Hulk, Skiff and a Mackinaw out in nullsec because the Hulk can now mine everything.

I am disappointed that we have to wait two more patches for the POS changes.  From reading the last CSM minutes it sounds like CCP opted for a massive redesign of POS instead of just tweaking the major pain points.  What the have planned for POS sounds crazy but it might be cool if they can pull it off.  I would love it if my members could have thier own POS and would stop bugging me to manage stuff for them. :)

Originally posted by OldBikerDepends on what you define as "content".  There have been plenty of new features in the last two patches. 

I did acknowledge that there are tweaks and polish made but any expansion consist of those + content that actually expands the game, push the game forward, builds up the game and make it "bigger".

We have not seen content addition for 2 expansions now.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by OldBiker

Depends on what you define as "content".  There have been plenty of new features in the last two patches. 

I did acknowledge that there are tweaks and polish made but any expansion consist of those + content that actually expands the game, push the game forward, builds up the game and make it "bigger".

Patience. The big addon they're working on is Dust 514, and I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right. I don't see any issues or "lack of content" from the previous two patches.

Where's the any key?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by OldBiker

Depends on what you define as "content".  There have been plenty of new features in the last two patches. 

Apocrypha was the last expansion that really expanded EVE in terms of things you can do in a spaceship.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1809992#post1809992

Still, the "tweaks and polish" year was long overdue and very welcome. It's easy to take these small changes for granted, but it really is a hugely improved game to play compared to a year ago. I am hoping that CCP will rediscover their ambition and give us another Aporcypha style expansion soon.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Well, the GUI of the market is now a bit better..
  • helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449
    How can you not see the introduction of TiDi as game expanding? It's done wonders for the large battles.
    Originally posted by helthros
    How can you not see the introduction of TiDi as game expanding? It's done wonders for the large battles.

In the sense that it doesn't add anything new to do. Fleet fights were always in EVE; now they work much better than they used to. That's fixing the game, not expanding it.

OK, Incursions did add a new thing to do if you care all that much about PvE. But ~meh~. At the end of the day, EVE is about player interaction. Incursions were a welcome but small step in expanding that.

Originally posted by Malcanis

Apocrypha was the last expansion that really expanded EVE

No, it wasn't - Incarna, Incursion, Tyrannis, somewhat Dominion.

Whether you put your personal bias behind "things you can do in a spaceship" formula has no bearing on factual content of the expansions.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

T1 frigate changes are much better than I expected. Certain nullsec alliance blocs are handing out slashers instead of rifters to newbies for throwaway tackle now, while perhaps not the biggest change it shakes up the status quo fairly significantly. The T3 battlecruisers have greatly altered everything from massive fleet to solo pvp. Logi frigs will be a big deal this winter no doubt, the other vaguely discussed changes will too I imagine. While the revamp to faction warfare has been bumpy, it certainly brought new life to what was previously one of the most ignored features in EVE.

Before I get some pedantic response that most of this is not new just revamped, the truly new features such as tier 3 battlecruisers and ancillary shield boosters may have not been monolithic additions in themselves but their impact upon playstyles have been. From what has been previewed so far for the winter expansion it looks like EVE development is moving towards creating new roles from old hulls and continuing to add brand new modules into the game; I wouldn't be surprised if entire new T2 or T1 tier classifications are added next summer expansion. While another Apocrypha level expansion would be welcome, i am more than content with recent development.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Wycliffe

T1 frigate changes are much better than I expected. Certain nullsec alliance blocs are handing out slashers instead of rifters to newbies for throwaway tackle now, while perhaps not the biggest change it shakes up the status quo fairly significantly. The T3 battlecruisers have greatly altered everything from massive fleet to solo pvp. Logi frigs will be a big deal this winter no doubt, the other vaguely discussed changes will too I imagine. While the revamp to faction warfare has been bumpy, it certainly brought new life to what was previously one of the most ignored features in EVE.

Before I get some pedantic response that most of this is not new just revamped, the truly new features such as tier 3 battlecruisers and ancillary shield boosters may have not been monolithic additions in themselves but their impact upon playstyles have been. From what has been previewed so far for the winter expansion it looks like EVE development is moving towards creating new roles from old hulls and continuing to add brand new modules into the game; I wouldn't be surprised if entire new T2 or T1 tier classifications are added next summer expansion. While another Apocrypha level expansion would be welcome, i am more than content with recent development.

If they do add logi frigs, I may have to come out of retirement to see it for myself.  Now all they need to do is give a small boost to the EAF's and you could form an interesting frig gang.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Apocrypha was the last expansion that really expanded EVE

No, it wasn't - Incarna, Incursion, Tyrannis, somewhat Dominion.

Whether you put your personal bias behind "things you can do in a spaceship" formula has no bearing on factual content of the expansions.

Selectively quoting the part the sentence and missing off the qualifier doesn't make you right and me wrong. It just makes you a bad poster.

Anyway I'm happy in a wormhole now (apart from remembering why people hate POS so much).

It just makes you a bad poster.

It doesn't.

I quoted relevant part of your post, pointed out that there are other expansions that did expand the game which put your statement into a light of factual evidence instead of your distorted perception.

Then in next paragraph I addressed your funny, irrelevant qualifier.

All fine, no problem here.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by helthros

In the sense that it doesn't add anything new to do. Fleet fights were always in EVE; now they work much better than they used to. That's fixing the game, not expanding it.

OK, Incursions did add a new thing to do if you care all that much about PvE. But ~meh~. At the end of the day, EVE is about player interaction. Incursions were a welcome but small step in expanding that.

Yes, they have added things that are new. Just because you aren't into the PvE things that they have been adding recently doesn't invalidate the fact that things have been adde to the game.

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I fell in love with the new nebulaes the moment I saw them. Immersion is always nice

Catch you on the planetside!

Yeah when Crucible came out I was actually pretty surprised by how much of a difference the new nebulae made to my motivation to undock. I spent a few hours just... flying around. Just to see the nebulae move as I jumped from system to system. Kinda blew my mind a little that "fluff" like that would have such an effect.