Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 things GW2 does better than any other game...

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by terrant

Anarchy Online called, it wins.

My first character I logged in after 90 minutes of timeouts and crashing. By the time my computer actually loaded the graphics (another 10 mintues) My character somehow autoran forward, fell in teh moat at Tir and died (it used to be toxic), respawned, did it again, respawned, And was just about to take a third dip when I stopped it. Then pronptly crashed again.

Actually AO, while had a bad launch, was not even remotely close to Earthrise. Plus it did redeemed itself overtime and is still alive and kicking after all these years.

If you recall the articles on here back in 2011, Earthrise actually has several server rollbacks in addition to unplayable glitches and performance issues. And there was no refund on those rollbacks either.

I can't ever recall any game launch that was even close to that level of bad.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Smitt3k
    Originally posted by DMKano

Sorry but the mechanics of Rifts invasions are FAR better - the rifts do not appear in fixed locations and the invasions can take over entire zones.

In GW2 dynamic events are a misnomer - they should be called SE's - scripted/static events - always happen in the same places have no impact on the world (some have minimal impact).

Anet should be ashamed for such blatant lying - there is nothing dynamic about running a triggerd script!!

So from this point forth I am calling them SEs 

I am not sure you are playing GW2. There are alot of dynamic and sweeping changes that events have on the landscape.

I just hit 72 - so tell me a single event in GW2 where the entire zone gets taken over by an event and needs multiple groups in each part of the zone working together.....

There is nothing that even comes close to large epic Rift invasions in GW2, it's small crap where a portion of the map gets impacted for a short time before the scripted event gets triggered again 5 min later.

Theres an event in the Sylvari lands that takes over the whole zone. Several DE's go off at once where you must fight these huge creatures as a smaller version of the creature. This leads to another DE if successful where you have to fight this frog chick that randomly turns you into different creatures. 

GW2 DE's are a great improvement over the static Rifts and invasions in Rift. Rift simply doesn't compare. The chains that spread out from the DE's that you find if you listen to the NPC's and follow them are awsome. Getting the full story of an area is also a wonderful thing for me. All these different things are going on but if you listen and read you get to see how it all ties in. One event leads to another. 

No GW2's DEs aren't completely dynamic, they are scripted after all. But they change up within set number of outcomes. Rifts are truly static and got boring very quick. 

Maybe you got GW2 and Rift mixed up? Because what you posted was simply flat out wrong and the big events start to happen in the second zone that you get too lol. Being 72 it's hard to believe you missed them all unless you simply bought mats and crafted to 72 like others or simply stayed in the first zone and never left. 

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

you forgot; no ninja looting or ninja mobs:)

This is the best. Every time I login, I feel like I can join others instead of compete with others for any achievement or quest in the area. Everyone is helping everyone else all the time in a place near you. (at least on decently populated servers) I love that!!!

I'll agree with the OP on those original 5 reasons too though. image

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by rodingo
    .  Oh well this will die down eventually or until the next mmo release is out.  

or when GW forums are open and people can go fawn over or hate their instead

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

My first character I logged in after 90 minutes of timeouts and crashing. By the time my computer actually loaded the graphics (another 10 mintues) My character somehow autoran forward, fell in teh moat at Tir and died (it used to be toxic), respawned, did it again, respawned, And was just about to take a third dip when I stopped it. Then pronptly crashed again.

Actually AO, while had a bad launch, was not even remotely close to Earthrise.

If you recall the articles on here back in 2011, Earthrise actually has several server rollbacks in addition to unplayable glitches and performance issues. And there was no refund on those rollbacks either.

Asheron's Call 2.

Age of Conan just for how radically different the released game was from how it was supposed to be, and how payed off the reviewers were.

Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by swtorfan

To the OP, The one and only reason i stopped playing is the down-levling. Down leveling sucks big time. For me i am not the best player out there and i do love a challenge but when i spent 3 hours for a level 8 quest at level 8 and was not able to complete it , it thought hey i will get to level 9 and that will help me complete the quest... boy was i pissed when i was down graded to level 8 and still could not handle the quest.

I am not saying anything bad about the game just saying i suck enough and get to frustrated when i do not even have a chance unless it was some kind of bug but anyway pissed me off enought to quit.

I do hope this games sticks around for the people that really love it because it does look like a nice game, just not for me. I guess i have to be honest and say world of warcraft is more my type of game. But hey each their own.

Good Luck GW2

Wait.. GW2 levels you down sometimes? Isn't that one of the main reasons why people chose WOW over EQ1? I was really considering GW2, but not anymore. Downleveling is a major deal breaker for me.

To help you stay even further away from the game you scaled down all the time it's not a choice lol.

Scaling just doesn't belong in RPGs, at all.

Your opinion, but scaling has been an inherent part of RPG's since the begining. Playing D&D you don't typically run a campaign where all the mobs are 20 levels lower than you. You make the campaign level appropriate for the people playing. If you did go back to an area you repopulated it with more level appropriate mobs. 1 shotting a dragon is pretty much the young kids way of looking at RPG's. 

Originally posted by IrishChai

This is the best. Every time I login, I feel like I can join others instead of compete with others for any achievement or quest in the area. Everyone is helping everyone else all the time in a place near you. (at least on decently populated servers) I love that!!!

Eh, but at the same time it makes the world feel more "gamey" and removes any kind of social interaction. By removing the barriers between grouping, you also remove communication. All throughout beta, no one said a single word during events, despite me trying to talk to them numerous times. You're all there, in the same place, doing the same  thing... but alone.

Its my only big complaint about the game. Its a better system than instancing and all the other WoW garbage, but its not perfect.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

To the OP, The one and only reason i stopped playing is the down-levling. Down leveling sucks big time. For me i am not the best player out there and i do love a challenge but when i spent 3 hours for a level 8 quest at level 8 and was not able to complete it , it thought hey i will get to level 9 and that will help me complete the quest... boy was i pissed when i was down graded to level 8 and still could not handle the quest.

I am not saying anything bad about the game just saying i suck enough and get to frustrated when i do not even have a chance unless it was some kind of bug but anyway pissed me off enought to quit.

I do hope this games sticks around for the people that really love it because it does look like a nice game, just not for me. I guess i have to be honest and say world of warcraft is more my type of game. But hey each their own.

Good Luck GW2

Wait.. GW2 levels you down sometimes? Isn't that one of the main reasons why people chose WOW over EQ1? I was really considering GW2, but not anymore. Downleveling is a major deal breaker for me.

To help you stay even further away from the game you scaled down all the time it's not a choice lol.

Your opinion, but scaling has been an inherent part of RPG's since the begining. Playing D&D you don't typically run a campaign where all the mobs are 20 levels lower than you. You make the campaign level appropriate for the people playing. If you did go back to an area you repopulated it with more level appropriate mobs. 1 shotting a dragon is pretty much the young kids way of looking at RPG's. 

Very good point! And in this game it is awesome, because I can continue to play at my own pace, and go back and play with my family who don't get as much time to play as me. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Good Luck GW2

RPGs are about progression. In D&D, what you'd have is... at level 1 you can fight 1 orc and its a challenge. By level 10 you're fighting 20 orcs. That's progress. The encounters scale, sure, but the monsters don't.

Thats why so many people hated Oblivion over Morrowind, the scaling made it feel like a bad action game, not an RPG.

The reason on other MMOs do this is because its not a very good system for RPGs based on progression, because it removes progression.

I just spent 80 levels getting stronger. Those bandits I was 3 shotting at level 2... I shouldn't STILL be 3 shotting them! They should die when I cough.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Good Luck GW2

Very good point! And in this game it is awesome, because I can continue to play at my own pace, and go back and play with my family who don't get as much time to play as me. 

Optional scaling and sidekicking is a MUCH better system for that sort of thing.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Actually AO, while had a bad launch, was not even remotely close to Earthrise.

Asheron's Call 2.

Age of Conan just for how radically different the released game was from how it was supposed to be, and how payed off the reviewers were.

Asheron's Call 2 was also up there, but it did lasted for 3 years before it died.

Earthrise, less than 1 year.

Eh, but at the same time it makes the world feel more "gamey" and removes any kind of social interaction. By removing the barriers between grouping, you also remove communication. All throughout beta, no one said a single word during events, despite me trying to talk to them numerous times. You're all there, in the same place, doing the same  thing... but alone.

Its my only big complaint about the game. Its a better system than instancing and all the other WoW garbage, but its not perfect.

Or does it make it more interactive? It may be time for us to take responsibility to just start forming groups. It is done in every other mmorpg, but for some reason in this game people keep complaining about this "problem". 

Once the playerbase levels out the feeling of everyone rushing around zerging will fade just like every other mmo. Give it a couple weeks and you will be lfg IMHO. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Good Luck GW2

Optional scaling and sidekicking is a MUCH better system for that sort of thing.

Just saying I like the scaling. Until there is or will be an option for it I'm happy! 

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

The post comes off as a bit, shall we say, starry eyed?  Still, these are definitely high points, and they make GW2 one of the best on the market.

My experience with pvp hasn't been so positive, but I'm sure it has also been more limited than yours, OP.

Or does it make it more interactive? It may be time for us to take responsibility to just start forming groups. It is done in every other mmorpg, but for some reason in this game people keep complaining about this "problem". 

Once the playerbase levels out the feeling of everyone rushing around zerging will fade just like every other mmo. Give it a couple weeks and you will be lfg IMHO. :)

Thats what everyone said in alpha. And in beta. And now.

Its a problem people keep discussing because its a real problem. I've TAKEN the responsibility. I've tried multiple times to interact with the people all around me. But, there's no reason for anyone to, so they don't.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

In fact, even modern pen and paper RPGs are trying different approaches to the same problem.  4E D&D had blatent scaling up of everything (with minion rules if you wanted them to be mooks).  5th Edition looks like it will keep armor class and attack scaling very low so that a low level enemies never become completely irrelevent.  I'm actually designing a game for my gaming group that approaches this from another direction.  Computer games can approach this from other directions, such as downleveling, which would be very difficult to seemlessly do in a pen and paper game.

Fundamentally, there's a reality issue here where it doesn't make sense that you can laugh at 10+ guys swarming all over you.

And to be fair, if you go back to a place you out level, you WILL be strong there.  I've done it.  You're definitely better than the people who are level appropriate.  However, you can't just ignore all the enemies and one-shot them.  The content stays relevant.  That huge.  It means that in 5 years a new player to the game is going to have a MASSIVE amount of content to enjoy, where everything Anet has now and everything they make in the future will be playable at any level without it becoming a joke.  That's huge on many levels and it is great for the consumers and the developers.  It means we get more content we can enjoy and visit again.

Compare this to WoW where most of their content is ignored by most of the community.  Vanilla, BC, Lich King raids?  Almost no one plays them anymore, and many of the dungeons aren't played either (even with LFG).  Special mechanics in those expansions?  Also mostly ignored.  Cataclysm will fall by the wayside too.  That's just a massive amount of dev work that is casually discarded.  Ugh.  I like a DL system and lack of progression-based design because it means all that content remains relevant and worthwhile no matter what level you are.  The difficult will change a bit, but it never becomes a joke (which is boring).

Good Luck GW2

RPGs are about progression. In D&D, what you'd have is... at level 1 you can fight 1 orc and its a challenge. By level 10 you're fighting 20 orcs. That's progress. The encounters scale, sure, but the monsters don't.

Thats why so many people hated Oblivion over Morrowind, the scaling made it feel like a bad action game, not an RPG.

The reason on other MMOs do this is because its not a very good system for RPGs based on progression, because it removes progression.

I just spent 80 levels getting stronger. Those bandits I was 3 shotting at level 2... I shouldn't STILL be 3 shotting them! They should die when I cough.

Yet Skyrim with it's level scaling was herald as epic...  and no you are still progressing. Your traits, skill unlocks, elite skills, gear, etc. are all still better. It's more akin to progression D&D than pretty much any MMO out with the exception of something like UO but that may just be nostalgia talking. 

I get it, you don't like it but... thats how RPG's started. Anet did nothing but get back to RPG roots. Simply walking through the campaing in D&D would have been boring... 

"Ok I know you guys are level 40 but tonight guys we are simply going to do a level 10 dungeon because I want to get this over with so you can get some skill points..." What fun could have been had with that... 

Its a problem people keep discussing because its a real problem. I've TAKEN the responsibility. I've tried multiple times to interact with the people all around me. But, there's no reason for anyone to, so they don't.

Eh, I don't have a problem here.  I've talked and made friends with people.  Made jokes and gotten responses.  I'll admit sometimes I get nothing, but that happens in any other MMO.

I grouped with someone today in fact and explored a small non-instanced dungeon.

Originally posted by Drachasor That huge.  It means that in 5 years a new player to the game is going to have a MASSIVE amount of content to enjoy, where everything Anet has now and everything they make in the future will be playable at any level without it becoming a joke.  That's huge on many levels and it is great for the consumers and the developers.  It means we get more content we can enjoy and visit again.

Compare this to WoW where most of their content is ignored by most of the community.  Vanilla, BC, Lich King raids?  Almost no one plays them anymore, and many of the dungeons aren't played either (even with LFG).  Special mechanics in those expansions?  Also mostly ignored.  Cataclysm will fall by the wayside too.  That's just a massive amount of dev work that is casually discarded.  Ugh.  I like a DL system and lack of progression-based design because it means all that content remains relevant and worthwhile no matter what level you are.  The difficult will change a bit, but it never becomes a joke (which is boring).

This I more or less agree with. It almost makes it worth it.

Originally posted by Drachasor

Eh, I don't have a problem here.  I've talked and made friends with people.  Made jokes and gotten responses.  I'll admit sometimes I get nothing, but that happens in any other MMO.

I grouped with someone today in fact and explored a small non-instanced dungeon.

It happens in other WoW clones... GW2 is supposed to be more social than your run of the mill instance solo quest grinding shallow clone. But, other than getting everyone into the same area... it seems I rarely get to interact with anyone.

But thank god there are noninstanced dungeons in the game.

It happens in other WoW clones... GW2 is supposed to be more social than your run of the mill instance solo quest grinding shallow clone. But, other than getting everyone into the same area... it seems I rarely get to interact with anyone.

GW2 is not a WoW clone.  It is a themepark.  There's a difference (assuming you meant to imply GW2 is a WoW clone).

Something that is friendly to play and doesn't force grouping is always going to be less social than a game that does.  On the other hand, you won't be spending a half hour to hours trying to find a group to play with.

I'm happy exchanging a comment or two then moving on.  Sometimes I talk more in the map chat.  I haven't gotten my guild of friends up and running yet since I've been very busy, but the social level is fine to me.  I can understand how it wouldn't be to others.  Personally, I also get value out of people just being friendly and helpful without uttering a word.  I like how you don't need to ask someone to help you out and often people will just work together without a single exchange.  But again, sometimes I say something or two, but at times it is difficult due to how fast the game moves.  I know I type fast and have had to stop saying something because another wave of bad guys came or an AoE appeared (in one of those areas they show up at random).

I think there'd be a lot more talking if the game had some sort of seamless voice chat system or the like.  Not sure how that would work though.

The social aspect is a great deal better in my experience. I was soloing in an area and someone started following me and helping me. We did this for about an hour and then I said "This is kind of fun, want to go do another area?" they seemed to like the idea and we went and chatted for a couple of more hours. This is simply one example of many. I'm part of a guild and that helps in the social aspect, I've met numerous random people that I now talk to, plus I have a lot of rl friends that play now as well. The only issue I have is the overflow system irritates me when I'm specifically trying to party with someone. 

The game mechanics simply allow for a friendlier atmosphere. You aren't restricted from who you can spend time with in game by barriers like class and level or race. You don't even need to be in party to hang out and do stuff together and recieve rewards and credit. Someone sees you in trouble they are free to jump in without fear of getting accused of Kill stealing and etc. 

They give you the tools to be social, it's up to your social skills at that point. This isn't like other games where people are forced to play with you if they don't want to. You have to work for that social interaction. You can't just play a healer or tank and expect the invites to roll in. 

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Good Luck GW2

I can see your point but I completely disagree.  The level scaling in gw2 is its greatest feature.  It makes the whole game relevant all the time.  

i suggest you practice and improve your skills to complete your level 8 quest. 

I think its a great feature to.  I have jumped back to the first zone and if I saw an event I know I can jump in and not have that feeling that the world is not relevant to me anymore.  Never had any issues with combat though.  The game does require some smarts and dodging otherwise you get spanked.  I personally hate levelling and then seeing all mobs turn white/grey because I am too powerful. 

I agree with the OP on all points.  People comparing crafting and exploration of Vanguard against GW2 are being a little unfair.  Vanguard was and is still the most insane crafting game I have ever seen.  However GW2 has that awesome feature to send off craft items.  That is pure brilliance in my book. 

GW2 is not a WoW clone. Never said it was.  It is a themepark.  There's a difference (assuming you meant to imply GW2 is a WoW clone).

Something that is friendly to play and doesn't force grouping is always going to be less social than a game that does.  On the other hand, you won't be spending a half hour to hours trying to find a group to play with. I never did that in other games, I just played until the group could form up and then we'd head off somewhere.

I'm happy exchanging a comment or two then moving on.  Sometimes I talk more in the map chat. That's a whole different problem. Global chat severely inhibits local chat. Sure it gives a sense that others are out there and its nice to waste time in... but it makes it so that no one ever talks face to face.   I haven't gotten my guild of friends up and running yet since I've been very busy, but the social level is fine to me.  I can understand how it wouldn't be to others.  Personally, I also get value out of people just being friendly and helpful without uttering a word.  I like how you don't need to ask someone to help you out and often people will just work together without a single exchange.  But again, sometimes I say something or two, but at times it is difficult due to how fast the game moves.  I know I type fast and have had to stop saying something because another wave of bad guys came or an AoE appeared (in one of those areas they show up at random).

I think there'd be a lot more talking if the game had some sort of seamless voice chat system or the like.  Not sure how that would work though.

I think there'd be a lot more talking if grouping was actually rewarded in any way. I like the seamless working together thing, but the side effect is nasty.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Optional scaling doesnt work.  Level 50s absolutely ruined Rifts and invasions for low levels.