Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally a developer that cares about making art and not a profit

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    there is one main reason this game was made.. and yes thats to make them a profit and thats all they care about..

That's a heck of a sweeping (and arrogant) insult to blanket a team of hundreds with.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by RogueTroopa

If they care so much about making Art and not a profit then I want my money back. I paid £45 for a repetitive yawnfest. Refund me now and all will be forgiven.

LOL, felt the same way but now I dont own the game anymore and I got most of my money back.image

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390
    The 20 euro it took for a extra bag slot and bank slot disagree's with you OP.
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    It's ok if they care about profit as long as they provide a quality product. That's all I need to know. And about people commenting about voice overs, I am playing human (noble) and think the voice overs and overall storyline is superb. I thought the storyline would end up at the queen's throne, how wrong I was.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    there is one main reason this game was made.. and yes thats to make them a profit and thats all they care about..

That's a heck of a sweeping (and arrogant) insult to blanket a team of hundreds with.

Team of hundered means squat when their head honcho wants to beat wow in sales and populairty.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

anet has a long time plan:

step 1: collect underpants.

step 2: ?

step 3: PROFIT

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by lifeordinary

Team of hundered means squat when their head honcho wants to beat wow in sales and populairty.

And that isn't accomplished by building a more fun or engaging game than WoW?  Reel back the rage against The Man for a bit and you might see how there's little logic to your stance here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

The fact is that they want to make a profit.  However, there is this strange thought that making 'art' and making profit are mutually exlusive.  They aren't.  There are plenty of examples of games that people really enjoy and make a profit.

Of course you need to realize that just because you don't like a certain game or consider it 'art', doesn't mean that others agree.

I self identify as a monkey.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

And that isn't accomplished by building a more fun or engaging game than WoW?  Reel back the rage against The Man for a bit and you might see how there's little logic to your stance here.

Rage? i just quoted the guy himself on last page. I am not making anything up and rage is the last thing i feel while discussing GW2. 

All devs have been trying to build a game more fun and engaging than WOW, something which has always been looked down by the community. And yet if Mike O brien says he wants to beat WOW....it is all good. 

Such double standards.

Rage? i just quoted the guy himself on last page. I am not making anything up and rage is the last thing i feel while discussing GW2. 

All devs have been trying to build a game more fun and engaging than WOW, something which has always been looked down by the community. And yet if Mike O brien says he wants to beat WOW....it is all good. 

Such double standards.

Ah, that's why your post seemed so odd - I completely misunderstodd where you were coming from with that. Makes more sense now. Thank you for clarifying that.

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by oubers

imho Anet realy had made this game with alot of passion for gaming itself (this can not be sayd about EA games for exsample, there games are as shallow as they can get lately).

You honestly think the people developing games under the banner of EA don't have a passion for gaming? Say what you will about the suits in the EA publishing business, but I'm sure all the folks working on the games themselves are just as passionate about gaming as the people at ANet. You could say the same thing about the suits at NCsoft that you say about EA, by the way...they bought out ANet after taking notice of the way ANet stays profitable by keeping costs down compared to their MMO competitors.

Back on topic, it certainly is nice to have a highly polished, fully featured (well, once all the features are in working condition) MMO release without a subscription model, but that doesn't mean ANet isn't focused on profit. Keep in mind that, while other features of GW2 have been up and down all week, their cash shop was always available to 100% of the players. Also, reports of players being double and triple charged for cash shop purchases and ANet sticking to its No Refunds policy have popped up several times. Lastly, a lot of the cash shop purchases that are permanently applied to an entire account in other cash shop games (bag space, bank space, cosmetic and novelty items) only apply to each individual character in GW2. Of course, gems can be bought with in-game gold, so you can argue that only the most impatient people with cash to burn are going to buy all that stuff, but I'm sure ANet is hoping more players fall into that category than not.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

In capitalism, the way to make a profit is to give a lot of people what they want at a price that they're willing to pay, and to do so so efficiently that it costs you less to give people what they want than they'll pay you for it.

Losing track of the "give people what they want" or "at a price that they're willing to pay" doesn't make a company greedy.  It makes the company stupid.  But companies don't really lose track of those things entirely.  Some are just better at it than others.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Quizzical

In capitalism, the way to make a profit is to give a lot of people what they want at a price that they're willing to pay, and to do so so efficiently that it costs you less to give people what they want than they'll pay you for it.

Losing track of the "give people what they want" or "at a price that they're willing to pay" doesn't make a company greedy.  It makes the company stupid.  But companies don't really lose track of those things entirely.  Some are just better at it than others.

I love your posts. They are a breath of fresh air, sanity, and coherence in these forums. 

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by Kraylor

Art?  I feel like this GW2 forum is the audience at Obama's DNC convention from 4 years ago with the crowd passing out and crying. 

Get real, they care about making money just as much as anyone else does, they just feel they can lure more people in without a sub fee and they have a cash shop that they will tweak when they see what is selling and what isn't.  If they see they are not making their targeted revenue from what is in the cash shop now, they will put in things that players will either need or want badly to make more money.

Really clever people care about both art and money - after all, money's fairly easy to make.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

Really clever people care about both art and money - after all, money's fairly easy to make.

Anyone who creates for a paycheck shares the same quality.  Not particularly unusual, or clever.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Thane

anet NCSoft has a long time plan:

step 1: collect underpants.

Burusera?  Old creepy dudes!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Art?  I feel like this GW2 forum is the audience at Obama's DNC convention from 4 years ago with the crowd passing out and crying. 

lol This made me laugh and its kind of true but if thats the case I would have to say all the haters and trolls would be playing the role of 

O you betcha, GW2 will fail because it has no endgame ya know

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by thunderC

lol This made me laugh and its kind of true but if thats the case I would have to say all the haters and trolls would be playing the role of 

<whydidyoumakemeseethat.jpg>

O you betcha, GW2 will fail because it has no endgame ya know

OK, I just nearly cried, I laughed so hard. If only because there's a certain contingent among GW2 detractors that reminds me of the worst of the Tea Party/Birther nuts.

In honesty, back to the OP's topic...I disagree. the GW2 team is making art AND trying to make a profit. They're a business. Of COURSE they are in it to make money. That's not a bad thing, as long as they provide a product worth the price tag.

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by bonzoso21
    Originally posted by oubers

imho Anet realy had made this game with alot of passion for gaming itself (this can not be sayd about EA games for exsample, there games are as shallow as they can get lately).

You honestly think the people developing games under the banner of EA don't have a passion for gaming? Say what you will about the suits in the EA publishing business, but I'm sure all the folks working on the games themselves are just as passionate about gaming as the people at ANet. You could say the same thing about the suits at NCsoft that you say about EA, by the way...they bought out ANet after taking notice of the way ANet stays profitable by keeping costs down compared to their MMO competitors.

Back on topic, it certainly is nice to have a highly polished, fully featured (well, once all the features are in working condition) MMO release without a subscription model, but that doesn't mean ANet isn't focused on profit. Keep in mind that, while other features of GW2 have been up and down all week, their cash shop was always available to 100% of the players. Also, reports of players being double and triple charged for cash shop purchases and ANet sticking to its No Refunds policy have popped up several times. Lastly, a lot of the cash shop purchases that are permanently applied to an entire account in other cash shop games (bag space, bank space, cosmetic and novelty items) only apply to each individual character in GW2. Of course, gems can be bought with in-game gold, so you can argue that only the most impatient people with cash to burn are going to buy all that stuff, but I'm sure ANet is hoping more players fall into that category than not.

Ermm. no. NCSoft bought Anet way before GW is released. Pretty sure Anet was running out Mike or Jeff's own apartment at that time. NCSoft had the smarts to realize these are the talents behind Blizzard's games and made a good gamble to support them.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Such double standards.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. Anytime previous companies dared to challenge Blizzard , posters around here ate them alive for it. Yet when Anet does the same thing, all is good. Hypocrites.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I like how people are for the most part ignoring the part where Arena net has possibly the greediest game corporation on earth NCsoft publishing them. I seriously want to know how ANET managed to gain enough juice with NCSoft to talk them into selling only B2p games, say what you want, but be serious, subbed GW2 still would have made a killing. Doubt many one have skipped it because it had subs.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

every time I read this guy posts i feel like im being trolled

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by yaoming36

I don't know about you, but when was the last time a gaming company stopped making money just to give players a better experience.

I believe Darkfall did, but then it was because they where bad developer who could not get there shit together according to the community.