Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't even know what to play anymore

MMO gaming has to be at an all time low because the mmos today are just so bad. When I get some free time and want to play some mmos I try to pick out a mmo I like and well it never happens. It is like I been there done that and nothing is interesting enough to keep my attention for the long term. What the heck happened to mmos ? I rememebr back in the day when I played FFXI, it literally took you months and months to reach max level. It was all about the journey, a fun journey at that. Now today mmos are built just for the quick fix and off you go. Back in the day you played 1 mmo for years, today you play 3-4 mmos in a year. Quality is definitely lacking in the mmo department and I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

Comments

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by MrReality
    MMO gaming has to be at an all time low because the mmos today are just so bad. When I get some free time and want to play some mmos I try to pick out a mmo I like and well it never happens. It is like I been there done that and nothing is interesting enough to keep my attention for the long term. What the heck happened to mmos ? I rememebr back in the day when I played FFXI, it literally took you months and months to reach max level. It was all about the journey, a fun journey at that. Now today mmos are built just for the quick fix and off you go. Back in the day you played 1 mmo for years, today you play 3-4 mmos in a year. Quality is definitely lacking in the mmo department and I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

Many will call you a burnout, and that will be that.

The only small thing that popped out from your post to me (with regards to FFXI, which I played), was that it essentially had forced grouping due to it's difficulty. Through that forced grouping, many people made reputations for themselves etc and it promoted a true community.

Personally I think if a game were more pushed towards grouping (Vanguard is another good example, while not the same as FFXI), it helps one enjoy the journey.

As for those rushing for end-game? Yeah, I'm not huge on it either, and it does seem to be more prevalent than in the past. I cringe when seeing threads popup of "A player on X server made level 80 on day 2!". It ruins all immersion for me in a way, but alas it is their choice how they wish to play their game.

• MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    It really isn't burnout at all. These mmos of today are just not that interesting. Thank god for games like Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 coming to keep us all sane! :)
  • KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    I'm just revisiting some FPS RPGs (Fallout 3) in anticipation for Borderlands too. Unfortunately there's nothing new or exciting in the MMO horizon for the time being.
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

I hear you bro.  The only MMO I fully enjoy is EVE.   I'm sick of these online singleplayer games...

It really isn't burnout at all. These mmos of today are just not that interesting. Thank god for games like Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 coming to keep us all sane! :)

Sorry, I should reiterate, I wasn't calling you a burnout, if anything I'm likely in a similar position to you. I pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 and have played it very little, decent enough game, just doesn't keep my attention.

Personally Archeage looks like it could be something a bit different, the only other game that I've played heavily the past few months would be Dayz.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Stop looking for something thats different and just look for something thats good. Guild Wars 2 is showing that people dont want something different rather they just want a mmo that is fun and keeps them playing.
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Stop looking for something thats different and just look for something thats good. Guild Wars 2 is showing that people dont want something different rather they just want a mmo that is fun and keeps them playing.

Some people. Personally Guild Wars 2 is not pulling me in, though I'm going to give it more of a chance as I have invested the funds into it.

I am glad many are enjoying it though.

I certainly would disagree with "stop looking for something thats different", innovative games are what we should all hope for.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah. I am at same position.  Shallow, fast, linear and not creating a closed knit community.  Don't forget hand-holding,gazzilions of markers on map and mini-map,  arrows, high-lighting of items and objectives, games reminding you so you don't miss an obvious things.  Make me wanna puke. Mmorpg's of today.

Imo either give up on gaming (or take really long hiatus) or switch to single-player games. 

There is few good ones released in last 12-18 months and few more good coming in next year or so.  Also some decently looking games from kickstarter.

Mmorpg genre is just overfilled with big numbers of hand-holding, linear, streamlined and first and foremost BORING LIKE HELL poor games.

/rant end

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I can relate.  I love GW2 for various reasons and will continue to play it, but I secretly yearn for that old school experience where it does take six months to level.  EQ2 *almost* was it, but in the end I couldnt get over the dated graphics and engine.  But in terms of world size, content, lore and immersion... haven't found one better.

Looking forward to EQNext and/or ArcheAge

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by fenistil

Yeah. I am at same position.  Shallow, fast, linear and not creating a closed knit community.  Don't forget hand-holding,gazzilions of markers on map and mini-map,  arrows, high-lighting of items and objectives, games reminding you so you don't miss an obvious things.  Make me wanna puke. Mmorpg's of today.

Imo either give up on gaming (or take really long hiatus) or switch to single-player games. 

There is few good ones released in last 12-18 months and few more good coming in next year or so.  Also some decently looking games from kickstarter.

Mmorpg genre is just overfilled with big numbers of hand-holding, linear, streamlined and first and foremost BORING LIKE HELL poor games.

/rant end

Funny how that reminds me EXACTLY of consoles games. Reason why I left to switch to MMO / PC Gaming.   Sad to see the same invasion that destroyed my console gaming :-(

I want my 16-bit style, whimsical, deep combat mechanic, large, exploratory RPG that I can play between PC and mobile...

Unfortunately I think Im the only one who wants it .... :/

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I can relate.  I love GW2 for various reasons and will continue to play it, but I secretly yearn for that old school experience where it does take six months to level.  EQ2 *almost* was it, but in the end I couldnt get over the dated graphics and engine.  But in terms of world size, content, lore and immersion... haven't found one better.

Looking forward to EQNext and/or ArcheAge

Thats exactly what I yearn for. I want something modern but I also want something that plays old school.  Also I think EQ2 is still today one of the best looking mmos out there if you can max it out.

Originally posted by Decadentia

Some people. Personally Guild Wars 2 is not pulling me in, though I'm going to give it more of a chance as I have invested the funds into it.

I certainly would disagree with "stop looking for something thats different", innovative games are what we should all hope for.

Not me, I hope for games that are just fun to play. Innovation is always a welcome + though.

Not me, I hope for games that are just fun to play. Innovation is always a welcome + though.

I think that goes without saying, I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned anything about not enjoying a game that was fun. It is a relative term however, we all enjoy different video games.

The OP was saying he's not having much fun with current games, thus why innovation could be key for future enjoyment. That or of course, throwback games that play akin to those of our past.

Originally posted by Aori
    I need a game with player politics, tired of this factioned everyone is friends bullshit. I'm all for PvE but it is PvP that keeps me going and atleast for me i've not had a true PvP game since the earlier days of L2 and even RFO(which was factioned but it worked)

I have kinda given up on a real pvp game for now. Just dont see anything comming other then maybe ArcheAge.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

The only small thing that popped out from your post to me (with regards to FFXI, which I played), was that it essentially had forced grouping due to it's difficulty. Through that forced grouping, many people made reputations for themselves etc and it promoted a true community.

Personally I think if a game were more pushed towards grouping (Vanguard is another good example, while not the same as FFXI), it helps one enjoy the journey.

As for those rushing for end-game? Yeah, I'm not huge on it either, and it does seem to be more prevalent than in the past. I cringe when seeing threads popup of "A player on X server made level 80 on day 2!". It ruins all immersion for me in a way, but alas it is their choice how they wish to play their game.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Games focus too much on being casual and anti-social. If you have a game that requires teaming, people are going to team up and form bonds. Thats what made MMOs great back in the day. People actually made friends. And having friends to play with will make any MMO great.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has RL friends who refuse to play MMOs so making online friends that do would be the answer. It was a lot of easier back in the day though for some reason.

• MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Games focus too much on being casual and anti-social. If you have a game that requires teaming, people are going to team up and form bonds. Thats what made MMOs great back in the day. People actually made friends. And having friends to play with will make any MMO great.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has RL friends who refuse to play MMOs so making online friends that do would be the answer. It was a lot of easier back in the day though for some reason.

Agree 100%. You can't imagine how many online pals I met in game during my FFXI years that once we got together and played together for months. You know forming a solid community and actually doing teamwork to accomplish goals together. Today everything is all about the massive single player anti-social experience in mmos. 

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

I never could understand how that works.

Grouping and playign with friends is so great, but if you don't use a Big Stick to beat people into it they won't do it?  I'm thinking something is off with this idea, somewhere.

Like, maybe it's not so much that we've stopped 'forced grouping,' but instead that we're actively punishing the social aspect.  For example, by making it awkward and difficult from a UI perspective to actually interact with others and trimming rewards while grouped (for the progression-monkeys.)   That would actually explain why so many people aren't lining up for what most say is the best part of the MMO experience.

Notwithstanding those who shy away from it as a result of general bad experiences with the asshats who show up in every community anyway.