Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was bored out of my soul, and decided to try RIFT

2»

Comments

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81

If you've played WOW you don't really require an introduction to Rift since almost everything is the same.  Rifts are a carryover of Warhammer public quests.

That and when you first make a player the game will tell you how to spec based on your role.  You can follow their advice or look up builds since most people say the game suggested builds are useless.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

So, uh...you were killing things 5 levels above you with a dot that did 9 per tick? Cool story, bro.

As far as the rest, the lore is mostly forgettable. However, what RIFT shines at is gear and power progression. There are always new shinies to be had, and with three souls you're always getting new powers. The planarite mechanism means that even when you're not getting a drop, you're getting something that could be traded for a drop.

Rifts and zone invasions can be tedious or amazing, it depends on how much response you get from other players in the zone. At their best, Invasions produce the sort of emergent group gameplay that's been the holy grail of MMOs since Warhammer.

In fact, I played GW2 for 2 hours this morning, got bored and played Rift for six - had to make myself log off to do some chores. Different strokes.

Finally, I'm getting a bit tired of MMO hipsters who dislike gameplay simply because it's not revolutionary. It's OK that some games are standard gear-progression games, because standard gear-progression gameplay is fun to some.  Dissing a gear-progression game because it's a gear-progression game is like being pissed Battlefield 3 doesn't have spells.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Darkmoth

There are always new shinies to be had, and with three souls you're always getting new powers. 

Um, you stop getting new powers when you hit max level, which is very early on in the game's lifespan.   Technically there are a few PA abilities, but those arent what you meant here.  

You are essentially saying Rift does the best job of putting the gearcarrot on a stick and making you chase for it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I usually subscribe for a month then take a few months off. The soul system is interesting and the events are fun. It has rounded out pretty well since launch. Looking forward to player housing in the expansion.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

This sounds a lot like my experience with Rift.

And WoW.

And GW1.

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I don't remember my impressions of the story, but the OP's experience with the levelling system matches pretty close to mine.  I played it for a day, and every ability I got or had the option of getting was a single target nuke, or a passive buff to a single target nuke. Totally non interesting, and the lack of any challenge in the game didn't make me look forward to the new abilities either. 
    Originally posted by teakbois

You are essentially saying Rift does the best job of putting the gearcarrot on a stick and making you chase for it.

I'm not essentially saying that. I'm saying that, exactly.

Rift is the best (or very good at) being what it is intended to be. A gear progression game.

As a platformer, for example, it's not so great. No jumping puzzles.

Originally posted by Uccisore
     I played it for a day, and every ability I got or had the option of getting was a single target nuke, or a passive buff to a single target nuke.

I'm struggling to imagine what class you played, where all the souls offered only single-target nukes.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Murtak
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by gbooster

Rift is an amazing game with totally badass lore if you take the time to read the books and talk to the npcs.

The only problem with Rift is how bad it runs. It's engine is almost as bad as EQ2s engine and lags even worse. Unfortunately that is a deal breaker.

WTS are you smoking?  I have a laptop with a 9800m which is essentially an 8800 desktop card.  Thats what, 8 generations old?  I play it on my laptop at 1920x1200 with all settings at high and average between 20-35 fps.  on a 4 year old laptop.

On a box with a 5970 4GB (2x 5850's), 8GB of ram (1600) and a quad at 4.7ghz I too hit around 30-35 fps with all maxed.

Barely half of what it should be on this system.

It's a pretty game (ignoring the lack of real AA) but let's not kid ourselves, the engine itself isn't helping anything.

I have a  i5-2500K CPU oc'd to 4ghz, 12GB of ddr3 ram (1600), OCZ Agility 3 120 SSD, and am running a GeForce GTX 570 ( my 7970 took a dump =( ) and I get 45-60 fps on ultra.

The only time it drops below that is when I raid or during large scale rifts and I just drop from ultra to high and it's problem fixed.

Don't know whats wrong with your system but Rift seems to run fine for me.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

I currently play  Rift on AMD Phenom 1090t, 4gb ram and Radeon 5850 - on ultra with supersampling off I get 40-60 fps, about 30-35 during raids or mass events (with supersampling on I get about 35 fps and 20-25 during raids). I am not sure why you guys have such fps issues, but  maybe time to upgrade graphic drivers ;)

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I play rift on 2 5770's everything on max. Runs smooth. Skipped reading the lore until this thread came around. Took my time playing, I went super slow and made 50 in little under a month. Now that it's time to raid I havent really logged in :/
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

As a long time player, I have to agree with you.  The begining for the defiant is kind of confusing, the Guardian starting video better explains how you came back (although it's different between defiant and guardian).  But I soon learned, you'll find books, tomes, knowledge devices all over that answer all the questions and fill in the blanks.  It's hard to get them all, and it wasn't until my 3rd or 4th character before I started to get the backstory.  Once you get the hang of it and find alot of the lore books it's actually a good story, and it's what keeps me playing.

Trion could've definitely done a better job at explaining what's going on in the beginning.  The Guardian side gets a much better story to start out than the Defiant side,  but Defiant has a better late game story imho.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Hmm, the tone of the whole post tells a story in itself.

So you didn't find anything you liked AT ALL?

Somebody objective would have found SOMETHING.

Seems you went into the game with the objective of tearing it apart.

I don't play Rift anymore but I would still recommend it to others. Best MMO I've played in years.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

This is not an acurate view of the game, I don't play Rift anymore haven't in a long time, but the intro area of the game clearly tells you what is going on, also there is a horde of NPCs you can interact with outside of the quest text to let you know the deal. Hell on Defiant side you can WATCH someone bringing back a defiant ascended! 

I for one would not take the word of someone who failed to notice he had built up points to invest into his souls, on how little lore was explained, or how little he noticed.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sometimes a game just wont do it for you. And Rift might need a slightly better tutorial but that never was my problem with it. My problem was that it felt like I already played it for years after a few hours...

But no game is for everyone, just try something else.

Rifts great advantage is how the team supports it, they are great on upgrades and bugsquashing but it is no help if the game just isnt for you.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Rift ain't that bad... It got fine graphics, you get into the game easily, has few bugs, some interesting abilities and skills... It's just a well done theme park MMORPG. I bought it too, played it until about level 32 or something. Then I played something else. Not sure why. I think what I disliked most was the lack of paths to choose from while levelling up. Every character would follow exactly the same path, do the same quests and so on. Compare it with WoW. Even when WoW started, you could level up several characters, without seeing the same zone twice.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by maji
    Rift ain't that bad... It got fine graphics, you get into the game easily, has few bugs, some interesting abilities and skills... It's just a well done theme park MMORPG. I bought it too, played it until about level 32 or something. Then I played something else. Not sure why. I think what I disliked most was the lack of paths to choose from while levelling up. Every character would follow exactly the same path, do the same quests and so on. Compare it with WoW. Even when WoW started, you could level up several characters, without seeing the same zone twice.

it is a bit different now, you don't need to make the storyline quests anyomre after you hit lvl 10. You can lvl up your char only with pvp, instant advanture (you get paired with ppl with similar lvl and you need to complete quests like: defend a wardstone, kill x mobs, gather y items and as last stage you need to kill a boss) , events - all kind of invasions etc. there is possibility to lvl up only making dungeons, but it will take some time to find proper group (if you play as healer you find the group instantly ;)) and after lvl 30 there are few different places to lvl up (although WoW has more)