Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4 x as many Xfire users playing GW2 than WOW.

1235»

Comments

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I'm just going to assume you guys aren't going to ever learn xfire and raptr numbers are accurate within a 'not' with a margin of error of BS.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I only care about the GW2 numbers a month after MoP is out.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by otacu

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

In the mmorpg genre

Guild Wars 2 (48.6%)

♦ World of Warcraft (21.5%)

♦ Star Wars: The Old Republic (2.7%)

♦ Aion (2.6%)

♦ Other (24.6%)

Even Swtor at his peak at start didn't top WOW. It was half of wow at best. Xfire users must really like Gw2

This has to be wrong.

....I mean there's no way that many people are playing SWTOR!  =P

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Originally posted by otacu

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

In the mmorpg genre

Guild Wars 2 (48.6%)

♦ World of Warcraft (21.5%)

♦ Star Wars: The Old Republic (2.7%)

♦ Aion (2.6%)

♦ Other (24.6%)

Even Swtor at his peak at start didn't top WOW. It was half of wow at best. Xfire users must really like Gw2

This has to be wrong.

....I mean there's no way that many people are playing SWTOR!  =P

a lot of my old guildies stil are playing TOR, was talking with one on vent just before I logged off GW2 to come here and yes the population is still very stable on my old server. He was using Black Hole population when he runs his dailies  as a guideline. He said most people are migtrating to just a few servers so that is helping.

Oh and just my opinion but I fail to see how pandas will re energize WoW

I miss DAoC

• Sup3rnovaSup3rnova Member Posts: 69

These statistics make no difference, your flapping over nothing... Wait till MOP comes out and give it a few months then flap if GW2 is still dominating it.

Honestly these threads get boring.. it doesnt even make a difference if GW2 kills WoW. Most of the Anti WoWists are just ex players who got bored of the rinse and repeat cycle.

Additionally Xfire is just a pointless program that was useful during Steams early years.

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Sup3rnova

These statistics make no difference, your flapping over nothing... Wait till MOP comes out and give it a few months then flap if GW2 is still dominating it.

Honestly these threads get boring.. it doesnt even make a difference if GW2 kills WoW. Most of the Anti WoWists are just ex players who got bored of the rinse and repeat cycle.

Additionally Xfire is just a pointless program that was useful during Steams early years.

xfire predicted SWTOR's dramatic player loss in early January, 4 months before any official data was available and before anyone in the press took a serious look at SWTOR's problems

there's 2 threads here about xfire and swtor.

it's almost insane how accurate xfire predicted this.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000
    Originally posted by Sup3rnova

xfire predicted SWTOR's dramatic player loss in early January, 4 months before any official data was available and before anyone in the press took a serious look at SWTOR's problems

there's 2 threads here about xfire and swtor.

it's almost insane how accurate xfire predicted this.

No it's not.

SWTOR was a major failure.  Anyone playing it for any length of time could see that.  The writing was on the wall.  Noting a major failure is not "insane", but to be expected.  Frankly, average players also noticed people leaving quite early on as well, if they hadn't left themselves.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm better than Guild Wars 2.  100% of xfire users think I'm the sexiest man alive 1% of the time ;)

xfire mean nothing, not everyone use it

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Silok

why do people not understand how polls work.

do you think everyone is polled in the polls you see on CNN?

nope. they poll exactly 1000 people.

and a 100k xfire users are not enough for you?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Wow, I have literally seen three of these exact same threads in like the past 5 minutes. You would think there would be only one, you know, the entire hive-mind thing...

Wow, you ever here of simultaneous thread creation?    It's happened to me.  I've seen others do the same.  

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Wow, I have literally seen three of these exact same threads in like the past 5 minutes. You would think there would be only one, you know, the entire hive-mind thing...

Agree... Fanboyism..

Serious stop these threads.. We allready got it. Gw2 pwns and WoW will lose 10 mil subs within 2 months.. Theres no more to prove.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Silok xfire mean nothing, not everyone use it

Indeed. Why don't people understand how polls work?

** edit **

The premise of your thread depends on XFire working properly, and apparently, it's not working properly for WoW.

http://forums.xfire.com/showthread.php/265236-World-of-Warcraft-with-new-x-64-exe-(New-Patch-5-04)

Thank you forum poster (whom I've already forgotten because it's early and I haven't had coffee).

** edit edit **

Magenets?!? How do they even work?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

those numbers probably say more about xfire than anything else

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Apparently, because they're never entered or passed a first-year statistics course.  Not unusual, most Americans haven't.

No matter how often its explained, it's still magic voodoo, unless you're educated to the math language required.  Reporters don't understand it either; why so many bad polls make it to the national news level.

That's ok, reporters understand the hard sciences even less.  The "hype" for Kahoutek was generated in the media, not by the scientists.

Anyway, we don't need this thread again--the last one's still going.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000 why do people not understand how polls work.   do you think everyone is polled in the polls you see on CNN? nope. they poll exactly 1000 people.   and a 100k xfire users are not enough for you?
    Apparently, because they're never entered or passed a first-year statistics course.  Not unusual, most Americans haven't.No matter how often its explained, it's still magic voodoo, unless you're educated to the math language required.  Reporters don't understand it either; why so many bad polls make it to the national news level.That's ok, reporters understand the hard sciences even less.  The "hype" for Kahoutek was generated in the media, not by the scientists.

Anyway, we don't need this thread again--the last one's still going.

I had to look up Kohoutek to know what you were talking about. This is my day off. I'll thank you to stop doing that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Silok

no.. that still mean nothing, even you CNN polls argument mean nothing. this is hardly reflect the reality of how many people really play the game.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

The issue with polls, any poll, is sampling bias, 1000, 0r 100,000 really doesn't matter if there is a bias.

With X-fire, are the X-fire uses a consistent and true representation of the the generall MMO playerbase, or are they representative only of a certain game, or are they representative of only one type of gamer.  This is why X-fire is not considered reliable, there is no clear way to answer those questions. 

Lets take a couple2 common or inferred stances on the market for argument sake. 

1.  X-fire is used by people who like games, are familiar enough with games and gaming to even know what x-fire is, let alone have downloaded and use it. 

2.  WoW - many people have stated over and over that many/most of WoW's playerbase play only wow, and have either no knowledge or very little knowledge of other games.

If those 2 statements are true, that alone invalidates X-fire's use when comparing WoW to any other game because, again if those statements are true, the majority of WoW's playerbase will not have even heard of X-fire.

Again I am not stating those statements are true, just using them as an example.  Until the question of sampling bias is clearly understood, X-Fire is not a valid or reliable source.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    This thread seems immune to mod locks. Weird, because every other xfire thread gets locked immediately. What makes this thread so special?
  • NikecowNikecow Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I'm better than Guild Wars 2.  100% of xfire users think I'm the sexiest man alive 1% of the time ;)

The problem with polls, xfire numbers, and anything else that doesn't consider the whole of something...It's easy to skew the numbers into whatever you want them to be.  So the demographic is WoW players with Xfire that are now playing GW2...I think that's a really really small portion of the MMO market. GW2 fanatics should go into Politics, they'd do great lol

Actually comparing X-fire stats is an excellent way of measuring activity. You learn this @ basic economics.

They see me lurkin' they hatin...

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

There have been a few post up that have popped up referring to GW2 and Xfire. These post have been locked by The Staff at MMOrpg.com  what they say is for good reason.  So my question is to the Staff that locked these and anyone else who would like to answer.  

What is the difference between people saying GW2 is the greatest, most popular MMO ever based on xfire numbers at the release and a post that ask the question has GW2 peaked on xfire?  The 1st part never got locked and The Staff allowed those post to continue.  The 2nd got locked within minutes.  

Also to the Staff that "loceked" those threads before you decided to delete  this thread and issue me a warning please explain your non-bias reasoning.  

Is MMORPG.COM BIAS?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Gaborik

There have been a few post up that have popped up referring to GW2 and Xfire. These post have been locked by The Staff at MMOrpg.com  what they say is for good reason.  So my question is to the Staff that locked these and anyone else who would like to answer.  

What is the difference between people saying GW2 is the greatest, most popular MMO ever based on xfire numbers at the release and a post that ask the question has GW2 peaked on xfire?  The 1st part never got locked and The Staff allowed those post to continue.  The 2nd got locked within minutes.  

Also to the Staff that "loceked" those threads before you decided to delete  this thread and issue me a warning please explain your non-bias reasoning.  

Is MMORPG.COM BIAS?

Simple. The reliability of XFire numbers is highly controversial, as shown by any discussion involving them, and as such these thread topics ultimately stop becoming about the game itself and instead become a discussion on the reliability of Xfire data on the whole. The SWTOR XFire thread has been restarted once after it got too large and at almost 700 new posts in its second incarnation people are still debating whether or not usage of XFire numbers to make these sorts of points is even a valid exercise. These particular forums are for the discussion of Guild Wars 2 and if these threads are just going to devolve into this same sort of back and forth (already seen in this very thread) there is really no reason for us to commit resources to dealing with multiples of them in different game subforums.

My best advice is to create an XFire thread in The Pub where you can discuss this topic and compare numbers from all the top MMOs in one shot. I'll even be glad to sticky it for you. There's simply no way we're going to be able to keep up with multiple 700+ post threads for each major MMO release going on simultaneously, especially when they all ultimately break down to the same thing: a debate over the use of XFire numbers.

Locking this.

This discussion has been closed.