Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Anybody else getting bored?

Comments

• KnightblastKnightblast Smithtown, KSPosts: 1,798Member

About the "rushing to 80" comments, I think it needs to be clarified what this means.  If you are taking an hour or so per level, that's 80 hours, which is about 8 hours a day over 11 days, a bit less.  That's a LOT of playtime, equivalent to a full-time job. People who play 2-3 hours per day are nowhere close to 80, which is why it seems like people who have played 70-80 hours are "rushing" -- it's really a word to describe dumping a massive amount of hours into a game in a short period of time (and 8 hours a day is a massive amount as it's the same as a full-time paid job).  It's fine if people want to play that way, but it's also a pretty extraordinary amount of time to put into a video game in a short period.

• FoxxenFoxxen Fort Worth, TXPosts: 20Member

Hmmm, I've been playing MMO's since 2001, Dark Age of Camelot.  Played it for 6 years, then went to WoW and played that one for 7 years.  Between all that time I also tried several other MMO's, did Beta Tests on a few here and there.  After that much experience in playing MMO's, I'm naturally a fast leveler as almost every MMO that has come out, has the same basic way of leveling.  Point, Target, Click and Kill!  Pick this quest up, that one, all of them, finish them and turn them in!  Rinse and Repeat then move to the next zone....

Well at least with GW2 here, while it's still repetitive just like ALL games are.  I've yet to play even a single player that isn't repetitive to some degree.  But at least with this one, you don't have to rush anything.  Heck, I was level 26 in the 1-15 zones on my Asura Elementalist.  Not even finished with the 15 - 25 zone I have gone in to and I'm almost 34.  Typically by now I'd be almost level capped in other games.  I'm considered some what of a fast leveler, only because I know how to figure out patterns in games design pretty quickly.  I could easily level super fast here, but!  This time around I have chosen not to.

Thing is, I don't care who you are, what you think, how you go about it.  If you're 70 to 80 within the first week?  The only thing responsible for your burnout is you.  Nothing wrong with enjoying the game so much you can't put it down for a second.  But instead of just flying through zones and such, goof off once in a while, have a bit of fun.  Don't be in a hurry to do a dang thing and just try to make friends and get others to join you.  Try socializing in the game more.  I mean, there are a lot of ways to distract the so called grind to max level ( Not that this is all that much of a grind, I hit my 30's without even trying ).

This is a problem I see with all games that come out, hell even Skyrim which is NOT an online game at all.  I've heard about the ones that beat that game completely within it's first week and that's no small task mind you.  But that is what burns you out on stuff, when you go that hard at it.  Problem is, since all games have similar design factors, you find yourself doing it in every game you go to.  This is largely due to gaming companies rushing products out for one main reason, Money!  Games have gotten away from being quality over quantity, especially the MMO market.  MMO's used to be the games no average person would play because it was fee based.  But because of it being fee based, they could put a lot of work into expansions ( Both downloadable free expansions and the once a year to two year paid for expansions ).  But they've gotten away from this, thus, we get short lived MMO's that barely last six months before people are whining and complaining ( for that matter, like Rift, a Month ).

Personally I'd like to see MMO's go backward a bit, go back to where everything took a long time to do.  Back to where you gained if you were lucky, 2 levels a day at the mid to high end.  Also put challenge back into it, be more creative and come up with rich story lines with quests that follow and flow with the story as apposed to having the story just be some sideline thing you read here and there.  Get away from the lets put more out faster then end up dumping the previous one to focus on the new ones because you already made your profit off of it for six months if you're lucky.  I'd like it to be more like what a MMO should be, not just some game like a stand alone you buy and next month you're thinking of the next game to purchase.

When I can take a character in WoW from 1 to 85 in far less than 10 days played time with crafting going up with it and doing other sideline things like PvP and such?  Yeah, it's too easy to level and that in itself does nothing but rush people to the end and leave them wanting more and having to wait which bingo! Burnout happens!  All gaming companies are guilty of this now and I think they should reverse this a bit and stick to their guns.  Stop making everything easy mode!

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

• Chilli2kChilli2k New York, NYPosts: 14Member
    Originally posted by jarosujo
    LVL 20 and bored already. Not a bad game, it's just same things over and over. WvW was fun at first, but there is no long term goal. 

But you haven't found out who killed your parents yet! Don't you yearn to find out who killed your parents?!

• Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Gainesville, FLPosts: 18Member Uncommon

Someone, way, way back, made comparison of Guild Wars 2 to Skyrim, and that’s hitting the nail precisely on the head. Guild Wars 2 plays a lot like a better Skyrim. But that’s not just damning with faint praise. Despite the fact that some people view Skyrim as the bee’s knees, despite the fact that I too was waiting with a horde of people outside of a Gamestop at midnight last November to get my copy of Skyrim at minute one, I found Skyrim overall to be meh. I must have started almost 20 different characters, and I never got one to level 20. I loved parts of Skyrim - the artwork, much of the level design, the overall attention to detail - It’s just that the game seemed too static. It was a self-contained dead world on my pc. And since I didn’t find the overall gameplay to be as much fun as other solo player crpgs (like Dragon Wars or even Baldur’s Gate), I just didn’t see the point to keep playing.

Guild Wars 2 seems perfect for the Skyrim-type player though: It has a persistent if still not a fundamentally changing world, the sense that something other than NPCs on a hard disk exists to interact with (if the player wants to!), and a big world (with crisp graphics and detailed art design) to explore in. This is a better Skyrim. And that is a good thing for people wanting this type of game. For me, I think I will easily get 6-9 months out of Guild Wars 2 and have a lot of fun doing it. And ANet will have gotten my $60 in exchange. A very fair trade. But is Guild Wars 2 the game changing mmo? No. And given the diversity of wants from players in the now very broad and stratified mmo community, it is an open question if any game developer will ever be able to produce it.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain New Orleans, LAPosts: 132Member
    Im bored with this game as well. Im level 25 and started at the head start. A buddy of mine asked me what I thought about this game and summed it up for him. Its Warhammer 2.0.
  • nate1980nate1980 Evans, GAPosts: 1,829Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

Probably just hitting GW2 burnout - but not feeling any aspect of GW2 lately - even WvW is feeling uninspiring to me. I am stting at 75 and no will to even get to 80. Crafting is boring and sort of a deja vu from countless other MMOs I've played. PvE I feel I am just completely fed up with - can't stand to do another DE.

I think I need a break - maybe I'll load up Vanguard - had a max toon there years ago and a mid 30s shammy that was fun.

I'm not bored at all. I have 3 characters: 22 Guardian, 9 Thief, and 15 Warrior. I play on average 2-3 hours a night.

I think you're just overdoing it. Sounds like you've been playing obsessively. Everything gets boring when you do it too much.

• ZigZagsZigZags Modesto, CAPosts: 328Member
    Originally posted by donjuanagain
    Im bored with this game as well. Im level 25 and started at the head start. A buddy of mine asked me what I thought about this game and summed it up for him. Its Warhammer 2.0.

I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine too. Thats how I feel.

Now: Skyrim
    Later: ?
    Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
    BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member
    Originally posted by donjuanagain

I honestly don't find that as a bad thing since the game is much better PvE wise and has crafting worth a shit unlike War. It isn't a cc clusterfuck either like War was.

War was actually a lot of fun in the lower tiers from a PvP standpoint.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• fyerwallfyerwall Posts: 3,155Member Uncommon

Not bored yet, but can't really play for more than an hour before wanting to do something else. Most games keep me glued to the screen for at least a month, this one however I don't have the drive to keep going after a short period of time. I just get this "Eh, it will be there later" feeling and go watch TV.

Strangely though when any game did this to me in the past I would just stop playing. This one has me wanting to log in, even if I know I'll just playing for an hour before I get the urge to do something else...

I'm conflicted....

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member
    [mod edit]

Funny

I think they simply have a different opinion than you. Happens in the gaming world. Go figure...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Barrie, ONPosts: 202Member

I try to ignore my level and instead spend my time just adventuring.

I almost wish there were no levels at all but that feature is almost required in order to create some sense of progression.

I understand why some people struggle with the bordom. There is nothing wrong with that. These posts sound more like a recruitment for troll discussions instead of observations about the game and it's features.

I don't understand why people come to a forum to inform the world about why a game is now boring to you. Do you need to feel validated for you feelings and opinions by strangers?

I don't like raisins, I don't troll the California Raisin Board web site complaining about them trying to get people to agree with or argue with me. I just don't eat them and avoid them at all cost.

I do like currants though. I could eat them all day, sundried cherries too. Yum Yum!

I know, it makes little sense to me as well, but I try not to make my issues become someone elses issues.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Gotham, FLPosts: 426Member

There is a big dfference between getting "bored" and "burning out".

Those that shot to level 80 are burning out due to the amount of TIME they are playing...not due to being bored from content.

A lot of people are saying, OMG I cant keep playing this long...I need a break.

Not many are saying, OMG I did everything there is to do a bunch of times and now im bored to tears. Outside of those that cant get passed the old idea that you only do low level content once and then it isnt done agian...to those types, this game was never meant for them...im almost level 30 and am still in the upper level teen area because the content there is so fun and im having a blast leveling guildmembers as they join the game. in fact, only a few of us have actually stayed in our level ranges areas.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

[mod edit]

I would agree that a lot of us who played many WOW-clones are biased  to a certain extent. It is hard to know to what extent, though.

• UkiahUkiah Austin, TXPosts: 273Member
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

GW1 and GW2 are based around the player, not the character.

So when you max your character the point is to develop yourself as player.

Know the best builds, know the best party builds, know when and how to combo, know all the professions strenghts and weaknesses, etc.

So if all you want is to develop your character and not yourself as player at the same ime you get those cool looking skins for your character, yeah, you will have that feeling.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

The entire ethos of the GuildWars experience, started in GW1 and extended into GW2, is for the PLAYER to improve, not the character. I've had several 'A-HA!" moments playing my ranger, guardian, necro and mesmer. Seriously, I just realized how COMPLETELY different I could play my ranger from the way I'm currently playing him. Particularly in WvWvW.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Boston, MAPosts: 387Member Uncommon

As much as I hate to admit it....yes...and faster than I did with SWTOR.....

Its a beautiful game, but if you want to do crafting such as armorsmithing and weaponsmithing, you will spend your game time grinding low level mobs for crafting ingredients that are needed to grind creating gear towards your next gear level and/or with the discovery feature.

The game economy is shot....too many exploiters salvaging 1000's of crafting materials from store bought items (nerfed now) have saturated the market with items at too low a price as they bet on large quantity and low cost to provide them wealth.

• UkiahUkiah Austin, TXPosts: 273Member
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

[mod edit]

I don't have to think it's the best game ever to appreciate all the things it gets right. Best game ever? That's still a tie between Asheron's Call and Eve Online. To date, I've NEVER had the level of satisfaction, immersion, fun, committment, excitement and overall pleasure of participating like I have had in those two games.

But, I no longer play them. AC was a first generation MMO and its graphics and mechanics are outdated 13 years later. Eve is still gorgeous and it's mechanics are so singularly it's own that they aren't outdated yet. However, you can only eat so much cake and pie.

Is GW2 better than WoW? PVP wise, HELL FUCKING YES. PVE wise, I don't know. They're different. I don't miss the trinity. But WoW had some cool stuff.

• fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

135 hours in and not bored, at all. I just hit the first of the Orr region zones and it rachets the entire game up another notch. I love this game. Level 76 and only 38% world completion, following a natural progression through the game. I had 150+ hours in beta, so 285 total hours with GW2 and I'm not bored, at all. I haven't hit any speed bumps in enthusiasm and I feel even more confident in my hopes that this game, at lauch, has enough content, world space and game play to provide me with over 1,000 hours of enjoyable play.

In a genre were most games in recent years have failed to provide me with more than 50 hours of game play, I'm blown away by what this game offers. Plus, no subscription fee.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• insideout321insideout321 frankfurt, MSPosts: 71Member
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I am a bit bored too.

Although in my case it´s because i have been forced to play without my friends due to constant overflow, not being able to craft productively due to the trading post not working for a week, and several instances when i was really looking foward to play after my daily duties yet i found myself unable to log-in, thus forcing me to play/do something else.

It may sound silly to you, but this kind of things make me go all "...meh" on a videogame.

So i decided to give it a few days of rest till everything is fixed and begins to work properly, and then i will give it another go.

At least it has no monthly fees so i have the luxury to do that.

.50 cents a day for a sub some people  act like there saving so much its funny . Sorry but i just keep seeing these posts about no monthly sub.. Nothing personal towards you.  Its half the price for a mc donalds value meal cheese burger per day.

In two hours of work at minimum wage anywhere in the us youve payed for a month sub 2 hours out of a whole month worked for 30 days entertainment I dont get it.

Im not saying your complaining but ive heard and read alot of others. Also seen a post for gw2 here somehwere were some guy spent 200.00 on gems already in game . The world amazes me..

Diablo 3 is free to play i own it and just because its free doesnt mean its a good game but guess what , i can go back and play it free anytime , but do i want to ? ..meh Anyway just my thought on the whole deal .. Glad your enjoying the game though. 

• AdiarisAdiaris RomePosts: 381Member
    Originally posted by fiontar

135 hours in and not bored, at all. I just hit the first of the Orr region zones and it rachets the entire game up another notch. I love this game. Level 76 and only 38% world completion, following a natural progression through the game. I had 150+ hours in beta, so 285 total hours with GW2 and I'm not bored, at all. I haven't hit any speed bumps in enthusiasm and I feel even more confident in my hopes that this game, at lauch, has enough content, world space and game play to provide me with over 1,000 hours of enjoyable play.

In a genre were most games in recent years have failed to provide me with more than 50 hours of game play, I'm blown away by what this game offers. Plus, no subscription fee.

Yep, Orr really surprised me. Glad I went north to level now going to fully explore Orr.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Barrie, ONPosts: 202Member

Originally posted by papardelios
    to see if the game is group friendly just think. you have participate in so many DE so far, do you remember any of the other players names? i m not. you dont care about anything in this game. you just run to catch an event and leave. you dont mind if others die, if they need heal or anything. i can guess that in the open world you havent even talked to anyone. you just want to be there for the XP. thats all

I think the communities will develop into a closer knit group after a month or two. Once the players that are never satisfied leave the people will remember names for content situations and pvp.

As of right now the initial starter area zerg is finally dieing down. There is content that is more challenging with only a couple of people or a small group, which is what is intended.

I suspect that many higher level players have skipped a majority of the content in favor of trying to hit cap as fast as they can. The big group zerg will propel many into a mid level range but as they spread out the challenges are starting to take effect. The content as not as faceroll when you are doing it with two or three people instead of twenty.

A few months down the road the people that are playing are going to know a large number of the others. You will see them in the same areas. You will pvp with them. Trading and crafting will be far more developed at that time. It will change. Right now there is no need to know all these people. Many of them will leave to try a new game or return to a previous game stopping by now and then and so on.

For me, I have no need to make new internet friends. I have plenty of other things to do outside of gaming. I play games to spend some time away from real life. It is not a duty or a job. Years ago I could play 80 hours a week and not care; today that is not an option, or a need. I might only play a couple of hours a night and even skip a day here and there.

I am an official casual player and I am happy to be that at this point in time

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain New Orleans, LAPosts: 132Member
    To be honest, Skyrim has ruined me on all games. I can play that game for hours and lose track of time. GW2 takes about an hour and I'm over it. Maybe thats a good thing. I dont know.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Sandpoint, IDPosts: 1,526Member
    I am only level 3 and I am bored. I've spent most of my time trying out the PVP and I haven't had any fun with it so far. This game is nowhere near as fun as the original. I havent tried the WvW yet. I am trying the different weapon types for something unique but I sure do wish that there were more spells/skills like the first one.

NEWS FLASH! A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore Darkfall Online player and knew just what to do.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Just explore. I find that simply exploring aids in this burn out. I will write a "review" soon on how I feel so far on. The game, and I will comment on this issue.
  • JonokuJonoku Cool, PAPosts: 645Member
    Hate to break it to you all but if you cant even enjoy GW2, and u cant even enjoy the recent mmo releases chances are your just burnt out from mmorpgs or games in general. You guys might want to take a 2-3 year break from it. if you cant even enjoy all these games other chances are your waiting for a game that mostlikely will never come back like SWG for example, as much as I want it to return its just not going to happen.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• mmofanaticmmofanatic Ellington, CTPosts: 136Member
    Originally posted by Aconsar
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm
    I skimmed throught his thread and just wow, seriously, LOL. Its like all of you 'getting bored' have never touched an MMORPG in your life... personally I never found the hearts repetetive and instead I'm just having problems deciding what to do: Complete 100% of a map, play an alt(s), play spvp, play wvwvw, craft, gather, market, work towards godmode epic legendaries.... All I can say is i pity those who don't enjoy this game.

These are the bare-minimums of what I would expect of an OLD mmo, much less one released in 2012.  100% map complete consists of doing the SAME repetitive hearts, while I admit finding vistas is a bit fun to figure them out, but they're all listed on the map, no real exploration.

Doing dynamic events (which are hit or miss) and finding hearts to grind is boring, there's no variety.  And the gameplay is so shallow it's just boring.  I was really enjoying the game at first, but I honestly think GW1 had more depth and I didn't even like that game as much mechanically.

Not trying to call you out specifically on this, but I have seen this a lot and wanted to reply. I believe if the vistas weren't on the map you would hear people complaining on forums how they wander all around and never find any vistas. Or you would get the type of people who claim there is no exploration because when they wanted to complete a map they simply googled "Locations of GW2 Vistas" and just watched on to find them on Youtube.

Also I find it funny claiming this game as more repetitive than any other MMO seems sort of funny to me. Granted I haven't played SWTOR, because I know a game I won't like just from reading about it, but I have played many. They are all repetitive. Quests don't change, just the names of mobs and their model changes. I don't understand why people think every heart quests needs to be some epic Lord of the Rings adventure. Take them for what they are, "quests" you don't need to talk to a '!' for.