Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Wayback Wednesday Recap

Welcome everyone to another edition of the Wayback Wednesday recap.  I managed to pull myself away from a certain MMO long enough last week to sit down with the fine folks over at Sony Online Entertainment responsible for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.  As it turns out those fine folks do have names and they are: Salim Grant, Creative Director for Vangaurd, and Andy Sites, Director of Development.

Check out the full article here.

Comments

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

Still the best PvE MMO on the market.

The best virtual world, the best exploration, the best dungeons, the hardest content. GW2 is the only game in recent memory that has come close. I'm glad SoE finally woke up and realized the reason it wasn't doing well was because they didn't put any effort into it.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    silius sounds like he just inhaled an ounce of dope

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555
    This guy nees to learn some interview techniques... After a nice long talk by the devs he says "that's great to here" he's to busy playing the game not paying attention to the devs, alot of their answers could have lead off questions.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

What you are missing in this interview is the part regarding the monumental lag, the glitches, and crashes that the players have been reporting on the Vanguard forums for weeks now.  Even though they brought in some Dev's for this F2P "re-launch", many see its current state as being a dealbreaker, especially for how the lag affects mob encounters when raiding.  Sillius briefly acknowledged one of the threads (out of a dozen) but nothing has been done to improve the situation. 

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by momodig
     "that's great to here" 

I'm standing by that being a pretty solid follow up (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

Lag lag lag and more lag, errors and glitches and crashes galore.

By far the worst piece of sofware I have tried in a long time.

If they manage to fix all of this then there's a solid game in there, but as of now it is unplayable to say the least.

Try it yourself and have your evenings ruined... go go go :)

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Yeah it needs the lag fixed and a PvP server, then it would be great fun.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• add3addadd3add Member UncommonPosts: 5
    'unplayable' i wonldnt say that, infact its very playable. Yes it has a few lag issues but ive been having a blast playing it since it went f2p ( havnt yet spent any cash). Even with the lag and some more, its still the best pve game out atm.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Still the best PvE MMO on the market.

The best virtual world, the best exploration, the best dungeons, the hardest content. GW2 is the only game in recent memory that has come close. I'm glad SoE finally woke up and realized the reason it wasn't doing well was because they didn't put any effort into it.

i dont think GW2 can be made to a reference for VG, yes, well i kinda get what you mean, the feel of GW2 reminds me of VG too

but somehow, deep inside my heart, i still think VG's PvE exploration is twice / even way more better than GW2's 

people who play VG in the early days will totally get what i mean..

So What Now?

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49

Having come back and tried out the 'new and improved' VG, I would still label this game as one of the worst games I've ever played. I encountered many of the same crashes and bugs as I did 3 years ago. Then, I would blame my hardware. But in 3 years I've improved my hardware so I know that isn't the issue anymore. Too bad the dev team are not able to fix anything and the game is still vitrually 'unplayble'.

Haha - having watched the interview now, must say how amusing it was to see the game crash back to the load screen while the interviewer was playing. Kudo's to him for politely assuming he caused the crash by hitting the wrong key.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Going f2p this summer was a huge let down because of all the other MMOs that came out this summer, TSW, D3, GW2....VG just got lost in the mix.  Where was the f2p last year? The execs really screwed up the timing on this one.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
        Tried to download it after the game went f2p and just crashed to desktop every time it fired up....Onyl game I ahve ever had taht issue with....THis game just never meshed for me but I never felt much of a loss either.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I wish they'd gone with a different F2P setup. But since housing and most any kind of gear upgrades aren't available to F2P members, I won't bother with a download. Bummer.
  • DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    The game isn't even f2p
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Its clear that vanguard going free to login was nothing more than a short term cash grab. Virtually no bug fixes or performance work done in the months they wasted dicking around with destroying the start areas or reitemizing.

Nothing done regarding the raid crippling lag months before free to login announcement.

A horrible matrix thats actually worse than either eq1 or eq2

Pushing forward with release despite major lag and performance issues,even worse than before free to login. You simply do not repeat the mistakes of the original launch that drove 250k+ away shortly after release if you are serious about giving the game a shot.

It is amusing to see people continue the ridiculous claim about this is the best pve game around if not ever made.

• usual_foolusual_fool Member Posts: 2

• usual_foolusual_fool Member Posts: 2

Such terrible video quality as in game definition, and the reviewer should have played Vanguard before at least to have some knowledge on how the game worked and showed more locations of areas you can see at various levels.

He had at least by the video length an hour of the Developers time and managed to waste their time by asking silly newbie questions which is obvious when the Devs said earlier on that it was a small world it did not register with him, I played reguarly a few years back and the world is absolutely huge.

The review should have been carried out with someone with more experience of the game (not necesarily a fan boy) and more questions asked and better looking game action.  As it stands it looks as though he was trying to kill the game off!

It is a good game, just takes more time and skill than a lot of players are prepared to put in, and the lack of updates and players deeply affected the game.  But still worth a shot and I am gonna give another go tonight to see for myself and now as F2P I would recommend all to at least try.