Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Storm Legion Details Revealed!

garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Trion Worlds, the leading publisher and developer of premium games for the connected era, today announced that Storm Legion™, the highly-anticipated first expansion to the hit MMORPG RIFT®, is scheduled to launch simultaneously in North American and European territories on November 13th. Purchase either the Standard or Infinity Editions of Storm Legion today and receive early access to the Exodus of the Storm Queen dungeon and an exclusive Plane of Air-themed cape for your characters.

“Work on Storm Legion literally began before the original game launched last year, so the development team had the rare opportunity to evolve the expansion alongside the live game.” said Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer and Trion’s Chief Creative Officer. “The result is shaping up to be a carefully crafted and extremely polished experience that will completely enthrall players.”

Trion is offering Standard and Infinity Editions of the expansion, both of which grant players extra in-game items sure to set them apart from other Ascended. Additionally, those who buy through one of Trion’s digital or retail partners will receive one of five plane-themed capes.

Storm Legion Standard Edition - $39.99 USD

·       STORM LEGION EXPANSION

·       STORM WARDEN’S CAPE - Bound with the power of a living storm from the Plane of Air

·       EARLY DUNGEON ACCESS – Discover how the story of Storm Legion begins in Exodus of the Storm Queen during a World Event sometime in mid-October

Storm Legion Infinity Edition – $59.99 USD

·       STORM LEGION EXPANSION

·       BREVANIC PORTAL GENERATOR - An ancient device used by the citizens of Brevane as a personal transporter to any gate in the porticulum network.

·       CYCLONE MOUNT - Faster than an oncoming storm front, this denizen from the Plane of Air can only be controlled by the most powerful commanders of the Storm Legion.

·       MINI REGULOS - A strange creature created by the Master Shapers. Contains all the evil, destruction, and mischief of the original in a pint-sized package!

Check out the Pre-Orders Here.

:p 

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Not a very competitive expansion price for a P2P mmo trying to survive in an otherwise F2P landscape..

I'm sure this was not meant for new players, so perhaps they will rely on the dedicated base to support this.. If they fail to, RIFT may be following in the SWTOR footsteps in the near future.

• ninfanlinkninfanlink Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Not a competitive price??? The exp is twice the size of rift now. I think people are way to cheap...
  • Hobbes92Hobbes92 Member Posts: 8

The issue with a monthly sub as opposed to a F2P model doesen't necessarily lie with the companies . The issue really lies with people just not wanting to pay for anything, and expecting everything. Games like this, SWTOR, TSW, and others are enormous projects that require a lot of risk taking for a company. $15 a month allows a company to project it's earning and be a little more agressive with server expansions or hirings.

Regarding the price, I don't see the issue. Games are expernsive to make, and the more complicated the techonology becomes the more expensive they will become. The gaming community can't expect companies to throw them expansions for practically nothing, it's unrealistic from a business standpoint. Furthermore a player SHOULD have to pay for a persisten experience that requires constant monitoring and updates such as MMOs.

This trend towards F2P is disconcerting to me because it means companies will be less staffed, will take fewer risks, and we won't see anything innovative. 

I really hope  RIFT maintains it's playerbase and I will be coming back to play Storm Legion; It is one of the last bastions for a more sustainable MMO business model.

P.S. I don't know anyone with even a minimum wage job who can afford $15/mo for an mmo. If you really care about gaming, just don't eat out as much. And if you really can't afford to pay unfortunately you can't afford to pay.

Originally posted by ninfanlink
    Not a competitive price??? The exp is twice the size of rift now. I think people are way to cheap...

Well, couldn't it have been a standalone product at that price point? Does it have content for all levels, all experience barriers for all players new and old? Or is it simply an add-on to the highest 10% to have to buy in order to continue progression?

I have not done my homework, but before I go all Matlock on the web we have to ask ourselves, what would make a new player want to spend mone on this?

Because ins't that what they want? New players as well as old returning ones?

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Is it normal to cut and paste a company's press release? This sounds a bit biased.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Vyeth

Not a very competitive expansion price for a P2P mmo trying to survive in an otherwise F2P landscape..

I'm sure this was not meant for new players, so perhaps they will rely on the dedicated base to support this.. If they fail to, RIFT may be following in the SWTOR footsteps in the near future.

LOL! Have you seen the expansion prices of LOTRO? Or DDO for that matter?

And Turbine delivered and still delivers way less than what this expac offers.

LOTRO Mines of Moria  expac was the only expansion worth it's money. Every expac after that has been lackluster and ridiculously overpriced.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This expansion is a lot bigger than MOP.

Nothing wrong with the price.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I have no problem buying this expansion...

Edit: My wallet's falling apart with all this opening, but here you go Trion :)  Can i get a free wallet with my expansion :D

Edit2: I mean this expansion, MoP, subs, new car payment, full coverage insurance...dang you money, why don't you stay with me longer...it's because I sit on you isn't it!

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This expansion is a lot bigger than MOP.

Nothing wrong with the price.

We don't know that.  They say they are 'tripling the world size', but Ill believe it when I see it.  Pandaria is roughly the size of Telara, that we do know.  

That said, dimensions sound pretty awesome.  Probably not enough for me to return to the extreme currency grindathon that is Rift, unless the new zone design is a huge improvement over the old ones.

40 isnt a bad price though.  Its not like they dont bust their asses.  Its a fairly small sub base but puts out a ton of content, devs gotta get paid somehow.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

go read the dev posts about pvp , they do not know how to even fix the broken pvp system in this game and admit it, thats why they are just throwing out the normalcy for pvp gear and then if that doesnt work throwing out something else. Then go to riftstatus and look at the population trends for the last 60 days and you can easily see where this game is heading.

My thing about Rift after leveling 4 characters to 50 is this game cannot come up with something orginal to save its life and they listen to the vocal terrible community there that dont know what they want. This game is dead in the water if they do not pull out something way more exciting with their expansion because as it is right now NOT ONE american server has gotten above medium population once. They better come up with a better pvp design then copy and pasting wow's horrible pvp design and start thinking other things besides token grinding and boring raid content that majority of players do not want or have time to do every night to grind gear in the first place.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Now people want xpacs for free? Dont know what to say. Thats just pathetic.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's tempting.. I don't even need a new game right now but I'm still tempted.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tiddytiddy Member Posts: 23

It just blows my mind how much of a freaking bargain this is.

<3 Trion. 

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

Do all of you rift players forget that trion has not charged anything  since release for all the content, features , ember isle ect. they have added?

..The 15 bucks a month you have been paying has gone to the updates and content you have been getting for the last year.Isnt that what your paying for?

I guarantee any other mmo would have charged you for all the content, feature updates.

Give me a break  there asking 40 and if im correct this also includes the entire base game includes new players with 30 free days. So subtract 15 from 40 for the free month you pay 25 bucks.

After that im sure all content added for the next 6 month to a year will be your hard earned 15 dollars a month at work.

Damn what more you want?

Incase you forgot here ya go ....

The End...

Originally posted by cronius77

go read the dev posts about pvp , they do not know how to even fix the broken pvp system in this game and admit it, thats why they are just throwing out the normalcy for pvp gear and then if that doesnt work throwing out something else. Then go to riftstatus and look at the population trends for the last 60 days and you can easily see where this game is heading.

My thing about Rift after leveling 4 characters to 50 is this game cannot come up with something orginal to save its life and they listen to the vocal terrible community there that dont know what they want. This game is dead in the water if they do not pull out something way more exciting with their expansion because as it is right now NOT ONE american server has gotten above medium population once. They better come up with a better pvp design then copy and pasting wow's horrible pvp design and start thinking other things besides token grinding and boring raid content that majority of players do not want or have time to do every night to grind gear in the first place.

Grinding tokens for raid gear exist in almost every mmo to date. Its an option that you chose to do. Obivously you enjoyed the game because you leveled 4 characters to lvl 50 hmm.

To comment on not enough content there adding triple world size for end game levels from what i know if thats not enough content to make you happy for awhile with mentoring and housing for end game then nothing will .

Find a new game , well guess you already have. What game is it? I want to see if they have any sort of token currency grinding in it at end game , just curious?

Thanks... I dont pvp so i cant feel your pain there , i cant comment on something i have no clue about. Im not trying to offend you here eaither but there are some things about rift i do not like eaither as in having to spec into a certain build for it to be viable at endgame as in pyro/lock pyro/?  They need to really fix the other souls wich i read and heard they are doing in the expansion , so i have my issues as well with the game..

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by firewater4176

there asking 40 and if im correct this also includes the entire base game includes new players with 30 free days. So subtract 15 from 40 for the free month you pay 25 bucks.

no offfense but i dont use that logic for any mmo new acct

Originally posted by Nadia

there asking 40 and if im correct this also includes the entire base game includes new players with 30 free days. So subtract 15 from 40 for the free month you pay 25 bucks.

no offfense but i dont use that logic for any mmo new acct

I do guess its a matter of difference of opinion.

Well we could talk about a game called world of war---- that makes you buy all of them.

Not only are you getting the x pac your getting the base game free so subtract that then , eaither way your getting a deal. If your new or even starting over fresh .

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Best game on the market, well worth that price.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by fivoroth

For free?  What have I been paying for?

Do all of you rift players forget that trion has not charged anything  since release for all the content, features , ember isle ect. they have added?

..The 15 bucks a month you have been paying has gone to the updates and content you have been getting for the last year.Isnt that what your paying for?

I guarantee any other mmo would have charged you for all the content, feature updates.

Give me a break  there asking 40 and if im correct this also includes the entire base game includes new players with 30 free days. So subtract 15 from 40 for the free month you pay 25 bucks.

After that im sure all content added for the next 6 month to a year will be your hard earned 15 dollars a month at work.

Damn what more you want?

Incase you forgot here ya go ....

The End...

They have been charging me a monthly fee.  They have offered around $45 or so in additional rmt additional content in the form of account upgrades and special mounts.  Since I'm an existing subscriber I don't get an additional month or anything else.  I just get to pay $40.  By the way, new players pay $50 not $40.

It's a good game, but P2P seems to have died with Lineage.  Now it's P2P + xpac fees + additional content.  What more do I want?  I want a straight forward payment model.  If it is cash shop and micro transaction supported fine.  If it is P2P then fine.  But don't try and double dip with both.

You can tell my why I should throw my money at it all you want, but it gets the pass from me.  When my account expires then I'm done and done with subscriptions.

Your right sorry guys i miss read the price it is 50 for new players thanks for correcting me and 40 for current players.

Well man the special mounts were  also available free in game via carnival of the ascended , so those are optional. Gw2 has armor for sale, wow has mounts for sale. Every f2p game has mounts/iems for sale so good luck with ya. Rift has no armor for sale, items so if those 2 mounts that are optional and were released with the game as collectors items offend ya then i dont know what to tell you.

EVERY game i know of that has collector edition gives away these kind of  free items at least rift gives ya the option to still obtain them for 10 bucks if YOU want.  Can anyone tell me if GW2 gave away free items.mounts with the collectors edition? curious..

The tiger mount i did not buy i dont care for cash shops so you have a point there. if rift ever goes cash shop route i wont be playing it anymore as well. Well anyway thanks for your comments . One item here and there is ok with me but if they start doing it all the time im gone.

So i agree wiht you on that subject.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Hmm.. If you can link me one time where I specifically said I wanted an Xpac for free I will gift you a game of your choice on STEAM..

That being said, all I was stating is that, for what this game is going up against (which is a HOST, a GANG of new quality F2P games by the end of the year), creating an xpac and remaining a P2P game (which is already a tough market to stay solid in), the price point is a bit dubious to me.

I didn't say not to charge anything for it, not once (but my offer still stands my friend). But in an age where P2P's are falling down left and right an xpac at that price just doesn't seem like something that would "fly off of the shelves"..

Games like Lotro, that went F2P, can sustain themselves off of xpac prices because the core game is free. Guild Wars could sustain itself off of addons (even though each one was its own game theoretically) because there was no monthly fee..

In the current state of the genre and even the current state of the game, I find it hard to put so much into an Xpac for a P2P game that may very well be seeing the eventual light of F2P'ness by the end of the year perhaps early next year..

And for that matter, what's in it for the new player? Ya know, the one that will take your medium servers to high or full? If this is a high end only xpac, it will not benefit at all from the guy who would buy it as he begins his adventure in Telara.

The xpac looks decent, but I just don't agree with that price point in an almost P2P-less market..

Well im off to go game , i appreciate all the arguments/opinions everyone has a right to there own including me , im glad were human and dont all think the same (what a boring world we would live in).

Well in whatever game you choose best of luck , as long as were all having fun thats all that really matters.

Peace ,. im out ..

Oh yea one last thing , F2p is coming in at an alarming rate but how long will it last ?

Im not sure because in reality there really not free to play , there free to log in and explore.

Eventually you have to pay for something right?  Well maybe you dont but then can you still play ?

Yes you can but do you want to keep playing without the content/dungeons/gear/banking/chr slots/gold/qsts/areas/mounts/auction houses ect ect.. I highly doubt it.

What ends up being more? if any free to play people out there can tell me honestly what they spend a month or year that would be awesome. Im serious id like to know if i can play cheaper then the p2p. Bills are a little tight right now. Thank You!

Oh and yea If free to play is so cheap2play  how are these companies staying afloat with it?
    Deep down i think people are paying more then they would just a sub otherwise WHY would companies be going free to play besides the game is dying ?

This doesnt hold true because ALOT of games coming out are free to play from the get go why? BECAUSE people are buying and spending MORE from the cash shops then what a sub costs and there blinded buy the term FREE..Its the only logical explanation, I can come up with anyhow.

And how come my posts are being posted with spaces between the praragraphs hmm.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Lorkii
    Best game on the market, well worth that price.
    Id have to agree. Its all around the best mmo out right now. The xpac is adding some legit features that only reinforce my opinion.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

If you are Wow you can charge that much, if you are Rift, you are overpricing it.  And no you should not have to pay for the expansion, you pay a sub fee to play.

Anyways, give me Eve any day in the week, never charged for any expansions ever.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Vyeth
    Games like Lotro, that went F2P, can sustain themselves off of xpac prices because the core game is free. Guild Wars could sustain itself off of addons (even though each one was its own game theoretically) because there was no monthly fee..

Core game is free in LOTRO? Since when? There are few free areas(starting for each race + lone lands) but every other will send you to store. Same for every expansion - moria, mirkwood and isengard. Add crafting guilds, mount, bags, currency cap, trait slots and you paid quite some for the core free game.

I have yet not found single F2P game which I can play long term without heavily reaching to my pocket or suffering heavy grind, that exist only for the purpose to sending me into store(In LOTRO it's about legendary items). All F2P games are nice for is as side MMO to spnd some time in.

As for Trion it's currently one of best MMO developers out there, core game + expansion is well worth price if you are into tradiotional MMORPGs. Not my piece of cake, but I was pleasantly suprised by their dedication wehn i tried it. Even respected Anet compared to them looks bad with all the trouble - trading post offline, hacking, official forums down, goldspam and mail/guild/party problems. Trion had best realease I've seen(side from queues) and fastest hotfix reactions. No idea how it's now but seeing praise they're getting I think it's still good.