Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[poll] Was it ready?

Comments

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Glad I didn't pre-order and I will wait a while for some patches and anet to be fixed. People that still pre-order are only supporting sub-par development cycles and it saddens me. The terminology of alpha, beta, and retail have changed drastically over the last 5-10 years and is only kept going because of players that support such nonsense. I will buy the game when it is release ready, and this further supports my reason to not pre-order any game anymore. As long as idiots keep pre-ordering games sub-par releases will keep taking place and only get worse(this goes for any game on PC and even some console games now like BF3). Hopefully in a month or so the game will be where it should be on a release and I will then purchase it. To many people have been corrupted to a good release lately and compare this game to disasters such as AoC, Rift, WoW and other releases in the past 5-10 years. This has been a progression since WoW released and has only gotten worse since people pour money into pre-ordering anything that sounds somewhat interesting.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

The poll results are hilarious.  This game is a ton of fun and im having a blast playing, but to say this was ready for release is absolutely ridiculous.

Im level 71 atm.  1-15 zone was ok, had 2-3 broken events that was about it.     Fast Forward to now - lvl 71.   Personal Story quests have been bugged since level 30.  Mobs resetting, NPCs resetting, mobs lost in walls, random instance boots, etc. 

Currently in Sparkfly Fen. I cannot complete the map because a skill point challenge is so bugged it doesn't work at all. Not to mention the average number of DE's that are broken per map increases exponentially.

It's very easy to see what happened here.  They tested the lower level zones thoroughly.   The ones that were open to the public that pre-purchased the game. After that, they did not test sufficiently. Anyone who has ever been to Iron Marches or Fireheart Rise would be able to tell you this game wasn't even close to ready.

I'd be willing to bet the majority of the people saying this game was released "ready" have not made it past level 30.

Not to mention the account issues, trading post STILL being down, etc...

However the trading post, I can't tell if it is a ploy to get us to spend money on gems, or if their "free to play" model just isn't projected to make them enough money to have adequate support / QA.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Apparenlty I'm playing a completely different "Guild Wars 2" than everyone else because short of the trading post, I'm having virtually no problems.  On the rare occassion I am having problems, it's something along the lines of a lag spike during peak hours or a queue into wvw.(omg how dare they put me into a queue!!!  *cough*aion, swtor etc*cough*)

So um... which MMO have you guys been playing and which prior MMO launches have you been a part of that were so head over heels above this one?  It sure isn't the world's best mmo launch but it's far above average.

*scratches head*

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

i just DON'T understand why i am not suppose to expect much from an mmo developer these days?  is quality REALLY un-obtainable?

the poll looks to be about fifty - fifty (within a couple of percent)... is that proof that GW2 was not ready?

it is sad the developer was not more ready.  it is sad that the developer is defended for not being more ready.

it is sad that the people on this site LOVE mmo's and the mmo's do NOT love us back.

have a GREAT day!

SZ

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Cavod

Apparenlty I'm playing a completely different "Guild Wars 2" than everyone else because short of the trading post, I'm having virtually no problems.  On the rare occassion I am having problems, it's something along the lines of a lag spike during peak hours or a queue into wvw.(omg how dare they put me into a queue!!!  *cough*aion, swtor etc*cough*)

So um... which MMO have you guys been playing and which prior MMO launches have you been a part of that were so head over heels above this one?  It sure isn't the world's best mmo launch but it's far above average.

*scratches head*

Is it really far above average? The launch that is, not the game itself. Other launches to compare to are the ones from SWTOR, TSW, Rift, FF XIV, Aion, Warhammer, STO, AoC, etc.   Asking because I am not sure myself. 

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Of course it was ready.  Anyone saying it isn't comes off as somebody not very familiar with mmo's.

Active gameplay has run perfectly for me from the start with not one case of lag yet.  I can't say I've run into any bugs either in this area either.  I can't say that about ANY of the mmo's I've played in the last several years. 

The things that haven't been quite 'right' were working just fine until the servers got hit with giant masses of people.  It's been just a week and there are improvements noticed.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, I think it maybe should have been released 2 weeks later but at least that is pretty close. Usually MMOs are 6 months early or more.
    Originally posted by Clob

Of course it was ready.  Anyone saying it isn't comes off as somebody not very familiar with mmo's.

Active gameplay has run perfectly for me from the start with not one case of lag yet.  I can't say I've run into any bugs either in this area either.  I can't say that about ANY of the mmo's I've played in the last several years. 

The things that haven't been quite 'right' were working just fine until the servers got hit with giant masses of people.  It's been just a week and there are improvements noticed.

I don't know about you, but if it is winter outside and I ate my breakfast, took a shower, brushed my teeth and put some clothes for indoors use, I would still not be ready for a 15 min walk outside  unless I get some adequate outdoor cloths as well, no matter how good that breakfast tasted, how well I showered, etc.

• wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74

It is absolutely impossible to release nowdays a bug-free mmorpg, BUT what Arenanet meant by saying ready or not ready, was not about beeing bug-free, but content rich. All mmorpgs that released the recent 6-7 years, were lacking content, people didnt leave swtor cause of it's bugs, they left because of the lack of major content, and because of many things were just missing. Nobody really stopped ( well maybe some did ) because of the problems that occured in Illum, but they left because they had NOTHING to do, once they hitted 80. And many many many many options were not even in game.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Anet repeatedly said they would release GW2 "When its ready"

What do you think?

Of course it was ready. I mean you don't ask the Messiah if he is ready do you? He might turn you into a toad or whatever it is those religeous types do...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Ender4
    I have known for a while that the current player base of games had no basis in reality but this poll just solidifies it for me. You can complain aboout a bunch of facets of this game and they are very valid complaints, I won't diminish that for anyone. But if you honestly think this game is not ready compared to the rest of the games released in the past 20 years you are living in a dream world with no basis in reality. This is so much more polished than most MMOs that it is a breath of fresh air in the genre. They have a ton of work to do but it is so much less work than the majority of these MMOs that it is a pretty silly thing to complain about.
    Did the AH or mail system work at launch? Those are two pieces of the game that was not ready at launch.

Yes, it had the usual bugs that every MMO has at start up, but it was not ready as advertised due to missing features. A-Net made a huge point about "not releasing until ready", which they failed to do. They failed part of their own manifesto.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• tachiboitachiboi Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Pre-Purchased and still enjoying the game. (In between stupid HW assignments :[)
    Originally posted by wutae

It is absolutely impossible to release nowdays a bug-free mmorpg, BUT what Arenanet meant by saying ready or not ready, was not about beeing bug-free, but content rich. All mmorpgs that released the recent 6-7 years, were lacking content, people didnt leave swtor cause of it's bugs, they left because of the lack of major content, and because of many things were just missing. Nobody really stopped ( well maybe some did ) because of the problems that occured in Illum, but they left because they had NOTHING to do, once they hitted 80. And many many many many options were not even in game.

If you can find an official statement from Arenanet stating that is precisely and only the extent for which they intended to use the phrase "when it is ready", I would be happy if you could provide it. I was under the impression that it was far more general than that, and having too little customer support  = not ready for a big launch, in my opinion.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Sitting at 80 atm.  Only major issues I saw were getting stuck in personal stories with friends on the first night of headstart.  The Trading Post being down.  Some minor graphical glitches.  Character model got stuck a few times but was freed up with use of a skill.  Had one personal story bug out at lvl 72, but I reset it and it was fine.  Some DE's were bugged and not functioning properly. 

As far as CS complaints I've had none of those issues.  I submitted a CS ticket about a password reset issue and it was answered, I responded, and they responded back again within a few hours.

However none of this impeded my progress through the game or caused much if any frustration at all.  While not perfect a pretty damn good launch.  Most fun I've ever had at launch, but I think this was largely due to GW1 nostalgia and reconnecting with old friends.

Steam: Neph

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but people who are saying "if you think it wasn't ready you are X" are not being fair.

You can not prove it was ready, that is subjective, the only way we get a good idea of whether it was ready or not, is based on whether it retains lots of players and gives them a fulfilling experience. 

GW2 is the first game to start hemmorhaging players this shortly after launch... not a good sign...

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It wasn't ready, there is still work to be done, bugs to be fixed, but it was ready enough.

The higher level areas are less polished than the areas that were showcased in the BWE's.

imageimage
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Nope

Market down most of the time.

Still working on daily fixes in WvW. Mind you it is a good thing but this should have been mostly resolved in beta.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

What do you think?

All you established was that there are 50% fanboys and 50% haters.

Did you really think this people would answer honestly and this poll would be accurate?

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    I don't know. Haven't made it to Orr yet. So far it seems alright. Not the smoothest launch ever but not a fiasco either.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    The game was more ready than the company was.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    The Black Lion trade post needs some work and so do a lot of the higher level zones. It was about as ready as most mmorpgs are at launch. Not the best or worst launch I have ever seen it's some where in the middle.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

What do you think?

All you established was that there are 50% fanboys and 50% haters.

Did you really think this people would answer honestly and this poll would be accurate?

Are the polls ever answered accurately on this website, not. the meer fact that the haters have any say even tho 99% of the haters aren't playing the game is bias enough.

• heavy3p0heavy3p0 Member Posts: 16
    I feel the game was ready but thier servers we not.
  • warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

There is no way to catch everything prior to release.

The game is stable and runs well. I have seen exactly one bugged event/quest, not bad.

Most of the issues have been from the surge of players and I feel that Anet has handled those issues as gracefully as one can expect.

The company is very focused on updates to correct emergent issues and on expanding their infrastructure as needed to support the game and it's player base.

Personally I give them an A for the launch.