Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire - GW2 edition

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

93k hours 3 days ago

81k hours 2 days ago

73k hours yesterday

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Ooh, I wanna play trends too! Let's see...

93K on a Sunday during a holiday weekend in the U.S.

81K on the holiday itself, when many families are having cookouts and the like.

73K on the Tuesday people are going back to work and many kids are starting the new school year.

Definitely a trend here. People play less when they're not playing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Right.  What you forgot to mention, OP is that GW2 is still ranked #2 OVERALL.  And has been for the last 5 days.  So, while the numbers have dropped (probably as people have gone back to work/school), so have the numbers of most, if not all of the other games there.  I guess based on the number drop you can call GW2 a failure, but considering its ranking of number 2 overall and I believe number 1 for MMORPGs, I'd say it's successful so far.

Nice try though.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

You can't compare it with swtor, the game is pretty much dead. Its numbers fluctuate and say pretty much nothing.

You don't want to compare it with WoW, it is on the steady decline.

If GW2 wants to be successful it needs good player retention.

Dead or not it is the number 3 MMORPG in XFIRE in time played.

We've seen a decline in all the top 5 titles in the XFiRE ranks from Sunday->Monday->Tuesday.

So that isn't a GW2 exclusive.

WoW is the #5 and a MMORPG-> it shows a similar decline to GW2 during Sunday->Monday->Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure there are more players playing WoW than GW2 and clocking more hours than there are GW2 players, regardless of GW2 being a massive success so far.

Sunday->Monday (holiday in US)->Tuesday and End of August->return to work school aren't good base periods. Neither is launch time.

Did you ever heard about "seasonal adjustments" or "seasonal corrections"?

A better measurament would be to build a trend based on the next 5 or 6 weekends.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

These numbers are VERY alarming.

I am not sure why?

But, I KNOW that I am alarmed!

SZ

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I love when people respond to an obvious attempt to get fans of a game all riled up.
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

A better measurament would be to build a trend based on the next 5 or 6 weekends.

This is correct, but those numbers are all we have right now. But yes in the next 1-2 months it will become clear if GW2 was a success or not.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

This is correct, but those numbers are all we have right now. But yes in the next 1-2 months it will become clear if GW2 was a success or not.

Seems like the intelligence has peaked on mmorpg.com.

• vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    What is X-Fire?? Something you sign up too??  I dont get how the numbers on X-Fire could even be relevant to how well any game is doing when it is only using it's own members for  the study! Makes no sense, unlees it's only to be used by X-Fire for X-Fire's member population and who's playing the game as a member of X-Fire. I dont use X-Fire.. So I guess, add one to the list on X-Fire???
  • lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

http://beta.xfire.com/games/lolLeague of Legends:3 days ago: 136K hours.2 days ago: 128K hours1 day ago: 118K hourshttp://beta.xfire.com/games/cod4Call of Duty 43 days ago: 82K hours.2 days ago: 72K hours1 day ago: 67K hourshttp://beta.xfire.com/games/wowWoW 3 days ago: 25K hours.2 days ago: 22K hours1 day ago: 20K hourshttp://beta.xfire.com/games/swtor 3 days ago: 6K hours.2 days ago: 5K hours1 day ago: 4K hoursWeekend and August finished? 

This

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Damn it, why didn't I make this thread earlier? I was always wanting to post this thread up for a new game just so I got credit for it, because you can pretty much bet that a game will 'peak' no matter what game it is. :) 

Pretty much bet? Im gonna go with logic on this one and say its a certainy that a game or anything you a population graph will peak...

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Damn it, why didn't I make this thread earlier? I was always wanting to post this thread up for a new game just so I got credit for it, because you can pretty much bet that a game will 'peak' no matter what game it is. :) 

Didn't WoW peak 4 years after its release?

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    People still use x-fire?
    Originally posted by coretex666

The period in question is not long enough to base a trend on it.

However, it will be proven wrong only when / if there are higher results again, will it not.

Whether or not this happens is not my concern.

No.

The OP doesn't limit itself to saying it peeked.

It also says "it will be interesting to say if this trend continues" and the trend in question is a downtrend.

And some have also interpreted, based on the posts, that what this means is GW2 is dying and players are leaving by droves.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by tawess

X-Fire... serious stuff...

That being said i see Gw numbers ping back and forth over the comming months as people come and go from MoP and the next batch of people can afford to buy the game.

Wait was it not serious when people were making this thread? http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/363225/4-x-as-many-Xfire-users-playing-GW2-than-WOW.html

Did it suddenly become less serious now?

I am pretty sure i did not post in that thread... So why you are qouting me i have not the slightest.

But yes i was being sarcastic. X-fire are good for broad general trends but it is very fickle for short time.

This have been a good conversation

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Interesting thread, but it's far too early to draw any conclusions.

Next to that, you need to a couple of other things in mind:

- weekend hrs will be higher than weekday hrs, simply bc Xfire measures players during the day and number of hrs, and ppl play more on average in a weekend day

- if you want to compare, better do it with the same day in different weeks, like a sunday with a sunday, a wednesday with a wednesday etc.

Another thing, which isn't Xfire related but regarding other tracking tools: the peak concurrent users is often higher during weekdays than weekends, bc more people will play around the same time at a weekday evening than other times. However, this only applies when a regional player base is tracked, not a global one.

As for what we can see so far regarding GW2:

- the number of hrs for this week's tuesday (73.1k) is lower than that of last week's tuesday (81.1k), but the number of players is higher (13k vs 14.2k) in Xfire

- the number of players now is about 150% of the number when they said they had over a million pre-sales

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    What do you expect to happen when you track a game's hours played from Sun - Tues? Try it again from Thur - Sat and you will get increases in all games. Think before you post.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by demonic87
    People still use x-fire?

The half a milion hours logged every day by xfire people would suggest there are still one or two of them yes.

At last a good old thread....Gratz to OP...Keep the tradions alive.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by coretex666

The period in question is not long enough to base a trend on it.

However, it will be proven wrong only when / if there are higher results again, will it not.

Whether or not this happens is not my concern.

No.

The OP doesn't limit itself to saying it peeked.

It also says "it will be interesting to say if this trend continues" and the trend in question is a downtrend.

And some have also interpreted, based on the posts, that what this means is GW2 is dying and players are leaving by droves.

However you can't call it a down trend when all games are showing the same population changes for the same exact days. It's simply a bump as a result of outside factors, in this case the holiday weekend in the U.S. and school starting for a huge number of players at the same time. To claim it's a trend for any one game you'd have to show it being relatively specific to that one game over a longer period of time. Say for example the next four weekends show a 20% drop in players from the one before them. That's a trend forming. But if there's a dip on one weekend and not the others you need to look at outside factors that may have affected that one weekend.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    OMG!  The holiday weekend ended, school started, and the XFire numbers are down!  Stop the presses :)!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by smh_alot
    Interesting thread, but it's far too early to draw any conclusions.

Next to that, you need to a couple of other things in mind:

- weekend hrs will be higher than weekday hrs, simply bc Xfire measures players during the day and number of hrs, and ppl play more on average in a weekend day

- if you want to compare, better do it with the same day in different weeks, like a sunday with a sunday, a wednesday with a wednesday etc.

Another thing, which isn't Xfire related but regarding other tracking tools: the peak concurrent users is often higher during weekdays than weekends, bc more people will play around the same time at a weekday evening than other times. However, this only applies when a regional player base is tracked, not a global one.

As for what we can see so far regarding GW2:

- the number of hrs for this week's tuesday (73.1k) is lower than that of last week's tuesday (81.1k), but the number of players is higher (13k vs 14.2k) in Xfire

- the number of players now is about 150% of the number when they said they had over a million pre-sales

Just to add that last tuesday was a) game launch for non pre-orders and pre-purchases and b) it was an august tuesday aka as  holiday month in the northen hemisphere.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

That being said i see Gw numbers ping back and forth over the comming months as people come and go from MoP and the next batch of people can afford to buy the game.

Wait was it not serious when people were making this thread? http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/363225/4-x-as-many-Xfire-users-playing-GW2-than-WOW.html

Yeah the logic is really bogus with the GW2 crowd. Basically "all hail X-fire" when it benefits them, but when it is used against them "X-fire is not accurate" . Gotta love the double standards 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

Originally posted by sr7olsniper

Yeah the logic is really bogus with the GW2 crowd. Basically "all hail X-fire" when it benefits them, but when it is used against them "X-fire is not accurate" . Gotta love the double standards 

LOL really?

Do you really think that people don't play games more on weekends than weekdays?

That said, I fully expect GW2 hours to drop off a bit from the initial weekend even next weekend.  Folks are basically getting out of their "MUST PLAY" phase.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Not really

I find it pretty stupid and useless in both cases

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Been gaming online for 12 years and in MMOs for 9. In all that time, I used xfire for about 2 months. My online friends which number in the hundreds do not use xfire. I take that back, A few did and might still do. The guild I am currently in which I joined with Age of Conan and now play GW2 in does not use xfire. 

I do not use xfire as a gauge for a game. I will now return to the shadows and let you continue.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Not really

I find it pretty stupid and useless in both cases

It's not perfect, but I think it has some merit...you just have to take it for what it is.  A pretty badly sampled portion of the gaming population.  It's basically better than just randomly guessing about things, but you can't really draw any conclusions from just a bit of data in it because of its imperfections.

Still, I think that XFire does tend to reflect LARGE gaming trends, it's just not very useful for minor trends because of its issues.

This discussion has been closed.