Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire - GW2 edition

dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

93k hours 3 days ago

81k hours 2 days ago

73k hours yesterday

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Yes, it will continue. The same thing is happening here on this site.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Ok, who brought the popcorn?

EDIT: BTW, if you notice, the line also goes down on other ocasions. Why can't we wait for the game to be 1 month old and then check thing? Maybe it will go up again. Maybe it won't.

Would wait 1 month hurt people that much?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Damn it, why didn't I make this thread earlier? I was always wanting to post this thread up for a new game just so I got credit for it, because you can pretty much bet that a game will 'peak' no matter what game it is. :) 
  • HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

This should be a fun thread. I'm pretty sure the game is going to drop in playtime over the next few weeks but the question is where it stabilizes for hours played and users. But without a sub to worry about, does it matter?

/popcorn

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It happens with almost every game - high ratio of buyers playing right at launch, that falls off until it reaches an equilibrium.

It's going to happen with this game too.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

http://beta.xfire.com/games/lol

League of Legends:

3 days ago: 136K hours.

2 days ago: 128K hours

1 day ago: 118K hours

http://beta.xfire.com/games/cod4

Call of Duty 4

3 days ago: 82K hours.

2 days ago: 72K hours

1 day ago: 67K hours

http://beta.xfire.com/games/wow

WoW

3 days ago: 25K hours.

2 days ago: 22K hours

1 day ago: 20K hours

http://beta.xfire.com/games/swtor

3 days ago: 6K hours.

2 days ago: 5K hours

1 day ago: 4K hours

Weekend and August finished?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Harttz

This should be a fun thread. I'm pretty sure the game is going to drop in playtime over the next few weeks but the question is where it stabilizes for hours played and users. But without a sub to worry about, does it matter?

/popcorn

In the past, this evidence has been used as proof that a game had bad player retention, which has equated to an MMO being a failure.

This notion includes F2P games, which also do not require a sub.  The money is in the cash shop, and people don't buy if they aren't playing.

An MMO that fails to retain players long-term, no matter the payment model, is usually considered a "failure" as an MMO.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    GW2 is a BP2 MMO so i compare it to like of COD and Battlefield when it comes to staying power. So GW2 isn't going anywhere in term of high rankings on Xfire for a very long time.
  • vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Compared to other MMO's Guild Wars 2 actually gained hours yesterday.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    3 days ago was Sunday,but yes numbers are always highest at release will be interesting to see where they level off at in a month. I predict 40 - 50 K weekdays  and 60 - 70K weekends

I miss DAoC

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

League of Legends:

Call of Duty 4

That explains the drop from 93 to 81k, but it doesn't explain the drop from 81k to 73k.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you're going to waste time in an analysis of XFire numbers, at least do a proper job of it. You need to show the statistics for the overall population of XFire, and the population for other games in the same genre. Make sure you note the time of day at which you've taken the numbers, whether it's an hourly average or a daily total of hourly samples. Be sure to note any system issues XFire users are experiencing that could affect the numbers. If you want to get even more in depth, categorize the people who are putting data into XFire by their Median and Mean time played per game.

I am not saying XFire numbers have any validity, but if they did, the people on this forum would manage to bork the numbers so that they didn't have any validity.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

League of Legends:

Call of Duty 4

That explains the drop from 93 to 81k, but it doesn't explain the drop from 81k to 73k.

People got tired with work and go sleep earlier?

COD4 and LoL have a similar trend.

EDIT: Also note GW2 has less players than either LoL and COD4, so on average these players have been playing more hours than COD4 and LoL players.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Rohn

/popcorn

In the past, this evidence has been used as proof that a game had bad player retention, which has equated to an MMO being a failure.

This notion includes F2P games, which also do not require a sub.  The money is in the cash shop, and people don't buy if they aren't playing.

An MMO that fails to retain players long-term, no matter the payment model, is usually considered a "failure" as an MMO.

Lol can't wait for the fanboys to come and deny this. Always 4 - 5 fanboys in every GW2 thread. You know who you are, let's see you deny this thread just because it's GW2 and it's "perfect"

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Every time someone post this brilliant thread a week or 2 after a game sets up I try to explain that first of all do a lot of people actually take a few days off when a new MMO comes out.

Secondly did at least here the universitys start this week, and most people play more on weekends

Every singhle game have gone down a bit a week or 2 after launch.

Now if the game continue to slide more and more for a few months we can discuss this again but right now it is just a waste on bandwidth and our time.

Oh, yeah, did I say that Xfire is useless unless you have a dip for at least 20%? Or compared it to how other MMOs went up and down the same period?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    You know, it's monday - wednesday right? People work you know? The players are almost the same : Players: 14,213 , but they play less, since those are working days! Same goes for other games. Starting from friday, it will raise again, don't worry :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I would wager that if you look all games drop appx 20% from week end to week day play. Sundays wil always be the highest day of the week for some reason. But I am sure the same old haters will come into this thread and troll. You know who you are

I miss DAoC

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

League of Legends:

Call of Duty 4

People got tired with work and go sleep earlier?

COD4 and LoL have a similar trend.

from monday to tuesday:

lol: 7.8% drop

cod: 7% drop

gw2: 10.2% drop

edit: from sunday to monday:

lol: 5.8% drop

cod: 12.2% drop

gw2: 12.5% drop

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

SHOCKING NEWS: People play more during the weekend!!!

I think the XFire numbers will go down soon enough, because release is always the busiest time for an MMO. Nevertheless, this thread is stupid and pointless.

Originally posted by sr7olsniper

Lol can't wait for the fanboys to come and deny this. Always 4 - 5 fanboys in every GW2 thread. You know who you are, let's see you deny this thread just because it's GW2 and it's "perfect"

I have denied it for every game no matter what I think about them just after release. Most of us MMO fans play more the first week then we do in the future, I just cant play 10 hours a day for that long since I actually have some kind of life.

GW2 is far from perfect but you need at least 2 months to have any useful data for anything.

I never even played TOR and yet I said the same there (go ahead and check), these threads are just regular trolling.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I'm sure Labor Day Weekend had nothing to do with it

/endsarcasm

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Kids are back in school in my country (and most Europe too), that helps dropping hours played of ANY game.

So long for the doom sayers ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

/popcorn

I don't deny that the numbers are important but I'm not sure that it should be expected that the game could retain anywhere close to the playtime from launch. I think retention is somewhat less important for GW2 than for sub-based games. A sub-based game requires a large amount of players paying a sub to be profitable while a BTP game like GW2 needs to only retain the dedicated fans of the game who are likely to spend money in the cash shop (evidenced by the thread where some players have admitted to spending $200+ in the cash shop already!). They also need to attract new players in order to sell more boxes. I think the business model for GW2 more closely resembles a AAA single player game with paid DLC than a traditional sub-based MMO like WoW or SWTOR. The question is whether that means they will struggle to sell boxes over time like a AAA single player title does without the aggressive discounting that most single player games have 3-6 months post-release.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Kids are back in school in my country (and most Europe too), that helps dropping hours played of ANY game.

So long for the doom sayers ;-)

Yeah, that will teach them... Wait, logic have never worked in a dropped on Xfire thread before.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Most of the northeast started school this week also. But that is just the fanboi in me talking.

Vivik-Cerberus
This discussion has been closed.