Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Class Changes & Balance for v1.4 Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new developer blog has been published on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site that lays out plans for class changes and addressing balance issues in update 1.4. Developer Austin Peckinpaugh lays out the details including how the team will address "crowd control and the Resolve system, the subsequent class changes made to harmonize with those control adjustments, and a reevaluation of stealth spec gameplay".

Our goal for crowd control in The Old Republic is to provide abilities that allow the player to take control of a fight, turn the tables, and feel great for taking charge. We know that this can be improved, so I want to explain our philosophy and our motivation for change before going into detail on the changes themselves.

Prior to Game Update 1.4, it was simple to control a target from a great distance and do so instantly, often as a surprise opener or from an unseen location off-screen. The way control abilities were designed encouraged this behavior, and the resulting gameplay could be frustrating.

Read more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    To the devs (as if they would read this :D ) ; Add proper space combat... super instancing + onrails shooter makes me a sad panda.
  • xtrabulletsxtrabullets Member UncommonPosts: 44
    They would do better to make a new Star Wars mmo. It must hurt to be apart of the biggest costing mistake [mod edit] ever...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by xtrabullets
    They would do better to make a new Star Wars mmo. It must hurt to be apart of the biggest costing mistake [mod edit] ever...

I loves me some politics.

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126
    Pff. As if crowd control was the game's only shortcoming.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I don't care what they change, I'm not playing this game again until it's free...and even then I might not play it.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    does anyone else wish old school SWG was still around?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    They are still addressing things that needed to be polished for release.  What a horrible design team they had all around.  I was never happy for their failure until I saw how much ANET got right in GW2.  Bioware compeltely ignored the genre and market and tagged an MMO descriptor to another KOTOR game with some instances.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Hrmmm  is Erickson and Ohlen still with the company?  You dont see them anymore pushing the game like they did
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    They are still addressing things that needed to be polished for release.  What a horrible design team they had all around.  I was never happy for their failure until I saw how much ANET got right in GW2.  Bioware compeltely ignored the genre and market and tagged an MMO descriptor to another KOTOR game with some instances.

You know?, there is really a lot of people who still love and enjoy the game, and you are talking about Anet did it right?, one week after release and the game is already full of gold sellers, bots and cheaters, sure they did it right.  SWTOR is an awesome game,  by the end of the year it will be even better and sadly for really a lot fo people here, we will find more people playing swtor a than gw2 with the F2P model. 

• LangsdorffLangsdorff Member Posts: 29
    Are we having the same song and dance routine with swtor again. Seems it wasn't too long ago where it was getting all the hype, now it's gw2, and archeage. We get it, you hate TOR. Move along.

Langsdorff

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    The game is ok to me, but it doesn't have that blizz or Arena net polish to it to keep me hook and want to play for very long..

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I will come back for sure after that gw2 disaster. Have enogh of empty  games and now i miss that swtor story. Problem is only that wow is again in my blood
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by hikaru77

You know?, there is really a lot of people who still love and enjoy the game, and you are talking about Anet did it right?, one week after release and the game is already full of gold sellers, bots and cheaters, sure they did it right.  

Isnt this usually a sign of a game's success?  If the gold sellers arent around, thats actually a bad sign for your game.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    You people are friggin pathetic. I see you on GW2 forums tirelessly defending your game, but then anytime there's a post on SWTOR, I see you here running your mouths. You may be too stubborn to admit it, but TOR is a great game with the best storylines I've ever seen in an mmorpg. Sure it has a lot of similarities to WoW, but it also doesn't. It's a really fun game that a lot of people still play, and when it goes f2p, many, many players will return. You finally have your mmo God, so just go back and play it already. And BTW I own GW2 (yes I truly do, because mmorpgs are my favorite genre) and while it is fun, it didn't revolutionize jack and the personal storylines don't even come close to those seen in TOR. I play a Norn Warrior, Charr Guardian, and Human Thief on The Tarnished Coast server for those that think I'm fos.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

is it just me or is anyone else missing the details in this post?

topic failed! F, sit.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VugluskrVugluskr Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Well, they try to explain reasons behind changes. This is a step in the right direction. I would like to see more posts from developers with information about 1.4.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by xtrabullets

Actually for me have nothing changed since day 1. SWTOR remain for me best game ever of any kind. Most polished, fun, no bugs, every movement obeying to laws of physics, ... But is true never pvp-ed and no edngame for me as I could not care less for this two.

I'm really wondering what EXACTLY was so wrong with SWTOR? I'm not blind, I see subs are far from what I was expecting or producer hoping to have .... But I simply can not see after playing it for 7-8 months, averaging i guess 6 hours of gameplay per day, why. If not for pvp or endgame.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Btw, even if I have for now left SWTOR for CO and now for MOP where I guess will stay minimum 3 months if not more, ... I love so much SWTOR that I will continue to be subscribbed. As support. I'm not very rich, but that miserable ammount I pay to be entertrained every day is nothing compared to what some people spend every single day for smoke, drinks, ... etc.
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Played Sentinel to cap. Flew to Ilum. Uninstalled game. That is all.
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

when are people gonna learn its not about how many promises they make its how much content they deliver. To those who think its a "good" game so was kotor 1 but i dnt have to pay a sub for it and its more enjoyable and bug free then swtor will ever be.

People can bash gw2 all they want but when you look at gw2's cut scenes and swtors cut scenes gw2,s cut scenes seems a 100000000 better and it looks like thier actually talking when you watch it where as swtor it looks like the muppet show still. Its gotten better but it still looks like rubber chicken puppets talking where as gw2 thier mouths actually move and are in sync and it looks like thier "really" talking. Which is sad b/c swtors big thing was VO and story and all this but gw2 story blows tors out of the water.

No game that has to go f2p before a year is doing good they can spin that all they want but it flat out means the game tanked. Its not a normal mmo thing to lose that many subs to go from millions down to a number they wont even release or say is bad.

They should have spent more time analyzing swg and less analyzing wow. B/c as weve seen 2 times in a row now we have 2 star wars game that tryed to copy wow and the majority said if we want to play wow well go play wow not a crappy star wars imatation of it.

All i see in the patch is crap that they should have alread done before maybe in 5 years it will catch up to current mmo standards and be obselete again lol

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by starwarsnut

People can bash gw2 all they want but when you look at gw2's cut scenes and swtors cut scenes gw2,s cut scenes seems a 100000000 better and it looks like thier actually talking when you watch it where as swtor it looks like the muppet show still. Its gotten better but it still looks like rubber chicken puppets talking where as gw2 thier mouths actually move and are in sync and it looks like thier "really" talking. Which is sad b/c swtors big thing was VO and story and all this but gw2 story blows tors out of the water.

Are you sure you're not mixing the two up there?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by grimal

Are you sure you're not mixing the two up there?

I completely disagree. SWTOR cut scenes don't have a match in any MMO. Period.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Kind of a day late, dollar short approach to fixing this game.  Didn't PVP'ers already leave?  PVP realms were the first to die.

I guess since the Roleplay servers are dying next, soon they will add chatbubbles .. at EA's release rate, sometime around 2013-2014.

If they really wanted someone to feel like their were taking charge in PVP, wouldn't they fix the broken game&graphics engine and remove every classes ability to have multiple CC's and knockbacks, pulls, pushes and other dumb frustrations?  Oh well, it's still fun to read about this game for a good lesson in why history should not repeat itself.

One day there will be a SW MMO with passion and innovation .. and when it does come out I think the name "A New Hope" will only be fitting.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    call me when their is a real Space Game
  • DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107

Um, yeah you have that completely 100% backwards. I've been playing GW2 and the stories aren't even on the same planet of quality, intensity, drama as they are in TOR. You can actually make serious decisions where as in GW2, you make a decision here and there, but you can ONLY be "good". And in GW2 when in a cutscene you go into this weird stage setup with some kind of animated painting for a backround, and only two characters, your character and one npc can appear on this "stage" so if another npc enters the convo, the previous one disappears. They both stand in the same exact position, and your character answers every single question for you! In TOR, you don't suddenly appear in an animated painting, you actually stay where it is you are, every character that was there you actually see, you make decisions, answer questions and they all emote very realistically.