Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need GW2 to fail

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

The secret world sucks , SWTOR was a disaster and hopefully GW2 will bomb.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

For God sake! Make your son some damed toast will you? .............and stop making bad analogies.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Brilliant.  From now on, when people say they are entitled to their opinion I'm going to immediatly suffle that opinion into the delusional category if it differs from mine.  You learn something new every day!
  • LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

{... A bunch of stuff...}

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

First of all, go make your kid some toast. You're setting a bad example for your kid with your flawed reasoning!

Secondly, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. The Secret World, SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 are fine games despite their faults and others enjoy them even if you do not. Not everyone thinks like you and if you are in fact a parent, that's lesson number one to learn both for you and your child.

Thirdly, building user-generated content and basing a profitable MMO on it has never been proven profitable most likely because most people who play, the games currently called MMO's, aren't interested in a second job or a second life but rather scripted glimpses into the life of Heroic Characters in another world. Name one UGC-based game that is as big as those F2P giants from the East or even WoW?

Uploading MP3's and our own graphics into a public server??? You clearly have no idea of how troubled that proposition is from a business point of view what with trademark laws and all.

Just about the only thing I can agree with in your post is that we need one server architecture!

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224

I get up in the morning about 6 A.M., have a little jelly, have a little jam.

Take a piece of bread and put it in the slot, push down the lever and the wires get hot.

I get toast!

YEAH TOAST!

^my constructive response to this pointless thread.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I don't think I would mind if every mmo failed and there wasn't even any light at the end of the tunnel, matter of fact, cave that fucker in... no tunnel.

I'll help pick off the fallout gamer stragglers and maybe a percentage will convert to table top lol

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    So basically you say, that nerds who play MMOs all of the time are bad husbands and bad fathers?

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    You've got it backwards. Your lil spawns are supposed to be making toast for YOU.
  • FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

I disagree. Failure does not go on to make people innovate, it's success that does that. If GW2 does in fact fail, then it would only discourage people from further innovation and lead them to choosing the 'safer' alternative (see SWTOR).

I don't understand why people think that games are not continuing to improve over the years. All you need to do is look for yourself without being biased. The reason why GW2 even exists is because of GW1 and had that failed I doubt we would have seen GW2. Starting to understand? They wanted to improve on GW1 and created GW2, so what now if they decide to do the same thing? Chances are you'd get a better game or at the very least a push in the right direction.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I didnt feel motivated to make good toast

How does one make 'good toast'?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Sorry, I had to block this.

The amount of hate filled threads on this site are close to driving me away from here.

Nothing seems like a discussion on this site lately. Everything seems like bait threads intended to generate arguments.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

for that reasons you want GW2 to succeed otherwise the WoW will ghost the industry and its products...

btw all these you mention are in EVEonline and the ArcheAge Online...

also in GW2 you can upload the music you want ...Choose Your Own Music in Guild Wars 2

finally there is a reason devs wants premade logos for guilds, cause of the innapropiate manners of some guys who walk around with a penis on their back ...

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Toast is a crap breakfast.

I'll have to go with this. Make your kid some real breakfast.

• itsneoitsneo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by loulaki

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

for that reasons you want GW2 to succeed otherwise the WoW will ghost the industry and its products...

btw all these you mention are in EVEonline and the ArcheAge Online...

also in GW2 you can upload the music you want ...Choose Your Own Music in Guild Wars 2

finally there is a reason devs wants premade logos for guilds, cause of the innapropiate manners of some guys who walk around with a penis on their back ...

LOL Penis on their back... gives new meaning to being Fkd from behind.

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

OP is funny

Al the people saying "make your son a god damn toast!!" are even more funny

This is a funny funny thread.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP since you said all these mmos should fail to show the devs they gotta stop copying but didnt mention WoW im sure you mean all wow clones should fail. GW2 is the mmo that i have seen the most different to WoW and the older ones. All other mmos after WoW and before GW2 copied WoWs exact gameplay progression of gear grinding and holy trinity (even TSW being "classless and levelless" still has a full holy trinity and gear grind). Also, WoW started the copy paste thing if i remember correctly. It copied the older mmos but succeeded at making it million times better and smoother than the rest. All mmos after WoW that copied it, failed to do exactly what WoW did to succeed when copying the older ones.

Also dont wish mmos to fail, wish companies to learn and replace the person demanding crap ideas for moneymaking only instead of making fun content for players to enjoy. To do that you need to change many heads of the companies that dont even know how to run an mmo or arent even gamers to understand what gamers want.

So far GW2 is providing the greedless fun that i and many more want

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.

I agree with Eir_S

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Oh.  So you want to play Second Life.  Cool story.

I'll play GW2 as it succeeds, and enjoy myself, thanks.  You can look into Second Life. :)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    How hard is it to make toast? Put bread in toaster, push button down and wait.

dont be too hard on this guy, he is an mmo player and the toaster prolly has 2 buttons so its realy confusing....lolz.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

Wait, pause.

You thought of all that when toast was involved? Good god man, what're you thinking when you butter the toast, or worse yet, when you put jelly on it? image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by tom_gore

It really depends on what you put on the toast...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by tom_gore

It really depends on what you put on the toast...

and whats the toast made of...

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

Get a new wife.

And a new kid.

Red was by far the best part

It's like... LOL

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Lost me at the headline...

And people say things about negativity on this forum. Really >.>

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Loke666
    The crash have already happened. Wow started to bleed players fast over a year ago and EAs most expensive game ever failed miserably and decided to go F2P less than 8 months after release. While a few games have done OK like Rift most of them have gone really bad.

We do need GW2 to be a success or noone will invest in the genre again, and we would have to live with really badly made indie games like Mortal online for a long time.

But it shouldt succeed to well either.

In my perfect scenario the MMO genre are topped by 3 large and different game. GW2, Class 4 and World of darkness online would be perfect. GW2 becuase it actually tries to be different and while it is nowhere near so newthinking like games like Archeage it is the first AAA MMO trying to be different, and it is really well made.

But someone also needs to prove that other games than fantasy level based game can make money.

Class 4s different mechanics and zombia apocalypse world is perfect addition since it try to do things very differently but still have some really great names working on it (like lead designer Jaff Strain) and a really good budget.

World of darkness online both because it is a player driven sandbox and because it tries to make a MMO as close to a pen and paper RPG as possible, and CCP is probably the most competent sandbox devs out there in the MMO world at least.

But if GW2 fail as well as TOR while Wow continue to loose players many investors might consider MMOs as a sure way to loose money and might pull the plug on many promising projects. Someone must prove that you still can make money on MMOs, preferably without copying Wow.

Very good analysis.

This discussion has been closed.