Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why I Didn't Buy Guild Wars 2

24

Comments

  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by yhar

    Seriously, artifical scarcity is a marketing ploy, used to create a false increased demand.

    maybe you havent heard how some players have had to wait almost 4 days to get support for their GW2 accts?

     

    more players means more support needs to be hired too -- its not just add more servers and walk away

    A low estimate for revenue per server is $90,000 and that is just basic speculation.  So lets say 5 servers per CSR, a fair workload, that's $450,000 LOW estimate.  I see a salary in there for at least a year and a ton of profit.  Unemployment is through the roof in every state.  Customer service training can be done in less than a week, especially since the majority of the issues will already have scripted solutions, and actual bugs will just be forwarded to devs anyway, and that workload is not increased by number of servers, since bugs are universal.

    Honestly, CSRs could work from home, and do their job remotely, so any reasoning that there are not enough unemployed bodies at their physical location is another poor excuse and a lack of business ingenuity.

    Every excuse people come up with is just that, an attempt to blame something else for a failure.  A string of failures. :)

    Good luck.  I see Guild Wars 2 being next to SWTOR in the bargin bin at Wal-Mart in the near future.  Remember that game?  Less than a year out and it's now $14.95 as the stores try to just clearance the crap to break even.

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Sucks for OP...i'm having a blast in the game!

    image
  • mearimeari SydneyPosts: 101Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by yhar

    Seriously, artifical scarcity is a marketing ploy, used to create a false increased demand.

    maybe you havent heard how some players have had to wait almost 4 days to get support for their GW2 accts?

     

    more players means more support needs to be hired too -- its not just add more servers and walk away

    A low estimate for revenue per server is $90,000 and that is just basic speculation.  So lets say 5 servers per CSR, a fair workload, that's $450,000 LOW estimate.  I see a salary in there for at least a year and a ton of profit.  Unemployment is through the roof in every state.  Customer service training can be done in less than a week, especially since the majority of the issues will already have scripted solutions, and actual bugs will just be forwarded to devs anyway, and that workload is not increased by number of servers, since bugs are universal.

    Honestly, CSRs could work from home, and do their job remotely, so any reasoning that there are not enough unemployed bodies at their physical location is another poor excuse and a lack of business ingenuity.

    Every excuse people come up with is just that, an attempt to blame something else for a failure.  A string of failures. :)

    Good luck.  I see Guild Wars 2 being next to SWTOR in the bargin bin at Wal-Mart in the near future.  Remember that game?  Less than a year out and it's now $14.95 as the stores try to just clearance the crap to break even.

    Ah.. now the agenda surfaces. Don't pretend you were ever trying to buy the game, you just came to bash. So, what's your usual account here?

  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by Thornz2000

    So you made a MMO account to share your feelings right?

    Well they halted sales for now to make sure they have servers for everyone. This is the 1st MMO I ever seen halting sales to get things lined up so the servers will not be over loaded.

    This MMO is well worth it, but sorry they put boo boo's all over your feelings.

    So thx for stopping in for a quick chat, but must get back to the game.

    Another reason I'm glad they didn't let me buy a digital copy.  Typical dbag fanboi who would rather make snarky comments rather than accept that the company failed to anticipate, failed to react, is losing countless sales because of that and makes excuses that are just tired just tired "we care about our fans"!

    It's not about caring, it's really just about poor business strategies. *shrug* have fun. Glad you are there, so I know I won't ever run across you.  lol

  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by yhar

    Seriously, artifical scarcity is a marketing ploy, used to create a false increased demand.

    maybe you havent heard how some players have had to wait almost 4 days to get support for their GW2 accts?

     

    more players means more support needs to be hired too -- its not just add more servers and walk away

    A low estimate for revenue per server is $90,000 and that is just basic speculation.  So lets say 5 servers per CSR, a fair workload, that's $450,000 LOW estimate.  I see a salary in there for at least a year and a ton of profit.  Unemployment is through the roof in every state.  Customer service training can be done in less than a week, especially since the majority of the issues will already have scripted solutions, and actual bugs will just be forwarded to devs anyway, and that workload is not increased by number of servers, since bugs are universal.

    Honestly, CSRs could work from home, and do their job remotely, so any reasoning that there are not enough unemployed bodies at their physical location is another poor excuse and a lack of business ingenuity.

    Every excuse people come up with is just that, an attempt to blame something else for a failure.  A string of failures. :)

    Good luck.  I see Guild Wars 2 being next to SWTOR in the bargin bin at Wal-Mart in the near future.  Remember that game?  Less than a year out and it's now $14.95 as the stores try to just clearance the crap to break even.

    I guess I'll put this throwaway account on ignore since you don't have the sack to whine on your main account.

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • DfixDfix Clark MIlls, NYPosts: 242Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by Thornz2000

    So you made a MMO account to share your feelings right?

    Well they halted sales for now to make sure they have servers for everyone. This is the 1st MMO I ever seen halting sales to get things lined up so the servers will not be over loaded.

    This MMO is well worth it, but sorry they put boo boo's all over your feelings.

    So thx for stopping in for a quick chat, but must get back to the game.

    Another reason I'm glad they didn't let me buy a digital copy.  Typical dbag fanboi who would rather make snarky comments rather than accept that the company failed to anticipate, failed to react, is losing countless sales because of that and makes excuses that are just tired just tired "we care about our fans"!

    It's not about caring, it's really just about poor business strategies. *shrug* have fun. Glad you are there, so I know I won't ever run across you.  lol

    Thank you for stopping the sales, ArenaNet .

    Vivik-Cerberus
    image
  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by meari
    Ah.. now the agenda surfaces. Don't pretend you were ever trying to buy the game, you just came to bash. So, what's your usual account here?

    I came here to express my frustration with a company who is either involved in artifical scarcity in order to portray inflated demand, or worse, inept on so many levels they can't even handle a launch, where demand is the greatest and the potential for sales (and lost sales) is at its peak.

    I don't care how great a game is, if the company behind it shuts down sales because it never expected the amount of interest, then we know they aren't very good at paying attention to their customer base from the start.

    If you think criticism for valid problems is "bashing", feel free to say whatever you need to say to minimize the points I have expressed.  While it may make you feel better as a fanboi, it won't put the lost thousands of dollars into the pockets of the developers. :)

  • mearimeari SydneyPosts: 101Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by meari
    Ah.. now the agenda surfaces. Don't pretend you were ever trying to buy the game, you just came to bash. So, what's your usual account here?

    I came here to express my frustration with a company who is either involved in artifical scarcity in order to portray inflated demand, or worse, inept on so many levels they can't even handle a launch, where demand is the greatest and the potential for sales (and lost sales) is at its peak.

    I don't care how great a game is, if the company behind it shuts down sales because it never expected the amount of interest, then we know they aren't very good at paying attention to their customer base from the start.

    If you think criticism for valid problems is "bashing", feel free to say whatever you need to say to minimize the points I have expressed.  While it may make you feel better as a fanboi, it won't put the lost thousands of dollars into the pockets of the developers. :)

    No, you came here originally with a conspiracy theory that Anet wanted to drive sales to the collector editions. Since that got shut down, you should have admitted you were mistaken that it's some kind of greed.

    Instead you went on a gish gallop and jump onto other issues and throw out ridiculous claims like being able to set up servers overnight and installing software in 2 hours.

  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by EricDanie
    You could easily purchase the game on other digital retailers by the way, they even have a list there, besides many other unofficial ones.

    The way you came to such a conclusion when being uninformed does make me worry though, they might indeed lose a lot of sales to the people that are completely outside of the loop on the official updates from ANet and end up dreaming about evil plots of greed.

    The problem with this statement is, having a "list of retailers" that will sell digital copies is not really of any value if none of the retailers on that list are actually selling digital copies. :)  Oddly enough, EVERY retailer has mysteriously "sold out" of all their digital copies.  Amazon, Gamestop, Gametap, Gamefly.  Really?  There are lots of copies on the shelves at stores, actual scarce items, meaning a physical limited supply.  But somehow no retailer has a digital copy, something with no actual scarcity.

    You guys can throw all the insults you want or stand by flimsy justifications, but it doesn't hold water.

  • Syno23Syno23 LA, CA, CAPosts: 1,360Member
    Go to Amazon.com or GameStop to buy your physical copy. Don't bash ArenaNet for your shortcomings.
  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by Syno23
    Go to Amazon.com or GameStop to buy your physical copy. Don't bash ArenaNet for your shortcomings.

    http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Pre-Purchase-Online-Access/dp/B008MAYXI0/

    Don't be too hard on yourself for not looking before typing.

  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbournePosts: 1,134Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by meari

     

    Ah.. now the agenda surfaces. Don't pretend you were ever trying to buy the game, you just came to bash. So, what's your usual account here?

    Probably an account called WoWCustomerRelationsRepresentative, lol :P

    You can kinda read where he was going with this thread all along. He could've just as easily pick it up from stores if he wanted to get it (like how most ppl get Diablo 3). No one would be arguing against getting a box as oppose to digitally if they have to since box is actually better value (because you actually got printed material).

    Just another attempt by an "unknown" source to sabotage yet another new popular MMO's image/reputation by spreading misinformation.

  • DrachasorDrachasor Columbus, OHPosts: 2,678Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by Syno23
    Go to Amazon.com or GameStop to buy your physical copy. Don't bash ArenaNet for your shortcomings.

    http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Pre-Purchase-Online-Access/dp/B008MAYXI0/

    Don't be too hard on yourself for not looking before typing.

    PHYSICAL COPY.

    Your link is to the digital.  The physical copy is in stock.

  • TrionicusTrionicus Fort Lauderdale, FLPosts: 497Member Uncommon

    They are attempting a business strategy. It didn't work on the OP and they lost 2 sales, that simple. We will never know how much they gained by employing this tactic though, I'd love to see those stats.

  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by itsneo

    I'm sorry, all I see here is ....

     

    OP = RAGE TROLL

     

    no more.. no less.  

     

    go to game stop or some other local game store and pick up a copy.   jesus.   it's not that hard man..  really, and certainly not worth this thread.

     

     

    Of course a fanboi can only see "rage troll".  Despite the fact that I don't type in all caps, I don't go about cursing or typing in unreadable gibberish.  I have very valid points, I have expressed how a better business would have handled these problems.  But no, none of you can actually respond to these, you just stick your fingers in your ear and shout "troll".  Sad really.

    P.S. The Gamestop in my town does not sell PC games in store.  It's console only.  

    On top of that, I was interested in buying online.  Their failure to provide this option is my reason for having no further interest in buying the game, which I stated from the beginning.  The game is definitely available if I go buy a physical copy, but, as so many of you don't actually want to comprehend what I have been saying, I don't want to buy a copy now.  I came here to explain why I didn't buy it, not to complain about it not being available. It's tough I know, when someone shows something negative about a game company you are a fan of, you want to defend it blindly.  That's overly obvious here.

    However burying your head in the sand and ignoring blatant business errors is not a solution.  So call me whatever names you like.  Because being called names by strangers really doesn't do anything but give me a chuckle. :)

    And it doesn't make your game company any smarter.

  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Just another attempt by an "unknown" source to sabotage yet another new popular MMO's image/reputation by spreading misinformation.

    How's those justifications working for you?  Feels good not to actually address issues and just brush them aside, eh?  lol  No misinformation here.  Anyone reading this thread can go look for themselves.  Every digital copy outlet has been shut down.  I don't buy stuff in stores for my own reasons.  Artificially trying to force me into a retail store is just a bad business decision.

    Something they are apparently good at making.

  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 triadelphia, WVPosts: 409Member
    Gametap or game stop, bought mine digtal from game stop and downloaded it. Not  hard   to find :-P and this was 2 days ago. So  u all cant troll this, got the info where u can get them from, from the website.
  • mearimeari SydneyPosts: 101Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by itsneo

    I'm sorry, all I see here is ....

     

    OP = RAGE TROLL

     

    no more.. no less.  

     

    go to game stop or some other local game store and pick up a copy.   jesus.   it's not that hard man..  really, and certainly not worth this thread.

     

     

    Of course a fanboi can only see "rage troll".  Despite the fact that I don't type in all caps, I don't go about cursing or typing in unreadable gibberish.  I have very valid points, I have expressed how a better business would have handled these problems.  But no, none of you can actually respond to these, you just stick your fingers in your ear and shout "troll".  Sad really.

    P.S. The Gamestop in my town does not sell PC games in store.  It's console only.  

    On top of that, I was interested in buying online.  Their failure to provide this option is my reason for having no further interest in buying the game, which I stated from the beginning.  The game is definitely available if I go buy a physical copy, but, as so many of you don't actually want to comprehend what I have been saying, I don't want to buy a copy now.  I came here to explain why I didn't buy it, not to complain about it not being available. It's tough I know, when someone shows something negative about a game company you are a fan of, you want to defend it blindly.  That's overly obvious here.

    However burying your head in the sand and ignoring blatant business errors is not a solution.  So call me whatever names you like.  Because being called names by strangers really doesn't do anything but give me a chuckle. :)

    And it doesn't make your game company any smarter.

    No, your original reason for not wanting to buy is because you thought Anet is being greedy. Now you're clutching for straws to cover how you failed on every single turn. You couldn't even search Amazon properly or else you'd know that both physical and online delux are available. 

    I know it may be a new concept to you, but at least be a man and admit you were wrong.

  • AfroPolackAfroPolack Linden, NJPosts: 2Member
    Best Buy Seems like they still have some keys in stock for a DD. Not really for the OP as it seems that he has his heart set on not buying the game, but to those that want to get it, try there.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by itsneo

    I'm sorry, all I see here is ....

     

    OP = RAGE TROLL

     

    no more.. no less.  

     

    go to game stop or some other local game store and pick up a copy.   jesus.   it's not that hard man..  really, and certainly not worth this thread.

     

     

    image

  • yharyhar Asheville, NCPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Gametap or game stop, bought mine digtal from game stop and downloaded it. Not  hard   to find :-P and this was 2 days ago. So  u all cant troll this, got the info where u can get them from, from the website.

    Gametap: Not Available

    http://www.gametap-shop.com/buy-download-pc-games/Guild-Wars-2-Standard-Edition-1651-25.html

     

    Gamestop: Not Available

    http://www.impulsedriven.com/guildwars2

    If you go to the Guild Wars 2 website, and check their list of online retailers for digital downloads, you will see that ALL of them seem to not have digital copies.  Oh they have plenty of box copies but none of them will sell you a digital copy.

    I don't have the capability to get out on a whim.  I am disabled, cannot drive and live alone.  I live in a very rural area and delivery companies require me to come to their distribution warehouses.  I spent weeks having to deal with Fed EX last Christmas just  to try and get gifts sent to me by family.  I will not apologize for my limitations.

    I don't care if Guild Wars fails or not.  I came here to express my frustration with their decision to stop online sales, while obviously not stopping box sales either in stores or online.  The lame excuse about caring for the customers would possibly make sense if they suspended sales as a whole, but nobody is sold out of box copies, but everyone is sold out of digital copies.

    I know you guys just want to make one justification after another, but saying "we won't sell you this copy but we will sell you this box version instead" doesn't really sync with the whole "stopping sales for the benefit of our customers" excuse.

    I give up on trying to talk about this real issue, because all I see are snarky attacks whose only purpose is to defend the company you are a fanatic about instead of actually listening.  There is no value in trying to communicate with those who have no interest in anything contrary to their fantasy view of a company that is making very bad business decisions, which will ultimately limit the game you are playing.

     

  • Syno23Syno23 LA, CA, CAPosts: 1,360Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by Syno23
    Go to Amazon.com or GameStop to buy your physical copy. Don't bash ArenaNet for your shortcomings.

    http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Pre-Purchase-Online-Access/dp/B008MAYXI0/

    Don't be too hard on yourself for not looking before typing.

    I said physical copy.

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,419Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by Thornz2000

    So you made a MMO account to share your feelings right?

    Well they halted sales for now to make sure they have servers for everyone. This is the 1st MMO I ever seen halting sales to get things lined up so the servers will not be over loaded.

    This MMO is well worth it, but sorry they put boo boo's all over your feelings.

    So thx for stopping in for a quick chat, but must get back to the game.

    Another reason I'm glad they didn't let me buy a digital copy.  Typical dbag fanboi who would rather make snarky comments rather than accept that the company failed to anticipate, failed to react, is losing countless sales because of that and makes excuses that are just tired just tired "we care about our fans"!

    It's not about caring, it's really just about poor business strategies. *shrug* have fun. Glad you are there, so I know I won't ever run across you.  lol

    It would probably help your argument if you didn't come across as a cranky knobhead.

     

    It would help your argument if your original premises weren't almost immediately shown to be false.  IE, Deluxe edition is retail, digital editions could be bought from outlets other than Anet.

     

    It would help if your made up scenarios were based on real experiances rather than just made up out of thin air to justify your position.   Have you ever set up a server for a complex game on short notice?  Have you ever tried to set up one (either your own or a rental) on a major holiday weekend?   There is no magic server wand that plops new, fully tested servers into the world.   I think Anet has already added 6 servers to try to alleviate some of the problems, probably all the back up capacity they had planned for.

     

    Most online gaming companies have to walk a fine line on release of a new game:  Too many servers and they will have to consolidate later on to the accompaniment of  'The game is failing!' crys.   Too few and players become unhappy and leave.  Anet's Overflow server set up is really a great move, and any game coming out after this that doesn't implement something similar, is crazy.   That doesn't mean it will be flawless, or that they won't have a bigger hit on them than they expected.  I'd like to say that I am sorry that you couldn't get the game as you wanted, but ... no really I am not.

     

    Given that you could have solved your claimed problems with a little bit of due diligence, why should we give any extra credence to your complaints or theories?     

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Prescott Valley, AZPosts: 167Member
    Originally posted by yhar

    I watched the videos on YouTube.  I read the reviews in magazines.  I read many forum threads.  I got excited about the game.  I went to GuildWars 2.com and clicked the Buy Now button.  I was ready to buy a copy for me and my girlfriend and we were gonna give this new adventure a try.

    Digital version...SOLD OUT.   Digital Deluxe version...SOLD OUT.  The $150 Collector Edition...the only option.

    Really?  Do you honestly think people in the 21st century believe you can sell out of a digital copy?  Your efforts did not net you $300 for two new players, it didn't even net you $120 as I was expecting to shell out.  It netted you $0 because of your greed.

    Some might say, their servers are too full.  How long does it take to throw up another server?  Another dozen servers if needed.  If you don't have enough servers to meet the game demand.  Add servers.  Don't just create some artificial scarcity by which people have to buy a $150 version.

    There are copies in stores, but I won't be buying it.  Not after the bad taste this shady strategy has left with me.  It could be an awesome game.  But I won't give it another look.  You had an opportunity to make a sale, and you refused it with your fail attempt to funnel people into an overpriced version of your game.  Fire your marketing people.  You guys are missing out on who knows how many thousand sales.

    The $150 dollar version is a box copy, just like the standard retail edition. Those are both available right now, you just need to actually get out of your chair and invest enough time to go to the store. They shut down the digital copies because as hopeful as they were, they were still surprised by how many people purchased the game. Try doing a little research next time.

  • mearimeari SydneyPosts: 101Member
    Originally posted by yhar
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Gametap or game stop, bought mine digtal from game stop and downloaded it. Not  hard   to find :-P and this was 2 days ago. So  u all cant troll this, got the info where u can get them from, from the website.

    Gametap: Not Available

    http://www.gametap-shop.com/buy-download-pc-games/Guild-Wars-2-Standard-Edition-1651-25.html

     

    Gamestop: Not Available

    http://www.impulsedriven.com/guildwars2

    If you go to the Guild Wars 2 website, and check their list of online retailers for digital downloads, you will see that ALL of them seem to not have digital copies.  Oh they have plenty of box copies but none of them will sell you a digital copy.

    I don't have the capability to get out on a whim.  I am disabled, cannot drive and live alone.  I live in a very rural area and delivery companies require me to come to their distribution warehouses.  I spent weeks having to deal with Fed EX last Christmas just  to try and get gifts sent to me by family.  I will not apologize for my limitations.

    I don't care if Guild Wars fails or not.  I came here to express my frustration with their decision to stop online sales, while obviously not stopping box sales either in stores or online.  The lame excuse about caring for the customers would possibly make sense if they suspended sales as a whole, but nobody is sold out of box copies, but everyone is sold out of digital copies.

    I know you guys just want to make one justification after another, but saying "we won't sell you this copy but we will sell you this box version instead" doesn't really sync with the whole "stopping sales for the benefit of our customers" excuse.

    I give up on trying to talk about this real issue, because all I see are snarky attacks whose only purpose is to defend the company you are a fanatic about instead of actually listening.  There is no value in trying to communicate with those who have no interest in anything contrary to their fantasy view of a company that is making very bad business decisions, which will ultimately limit the game you are playing.

     

    Sigh, one last time.

    Your failure No 1. You came here, claiming Anet is being shady because they've stopped digital sales but didn't for collector edition. Except collector edition is retail only.

    Your failure No 2. You then complained it doesn't make sense for Anet to stop their own digital sales then point you to other digital retailers. Except Anet cannot stop retailers from selling what keys they've already purchased/been allocated.

    Your failure No 3. You then claim servers can be set up overnight and software installed in 2 hours. Except that simply does not happen in IT. 

    Your failure No 4. You now claim they should have stopped sales entirely, that everyone is out of digital copy and nobody is out of physical copy. Except there are obviously digital delux editions available and some local stores have run out of physical GW2 boxes. Your continued failure to grasp that once a retailer purchases their stock Anet cannot stop them from selling them astounds me.

     

    Seriously, I don't care if you're disabled or not. Man up and admit you were wrong.

This discussion has been closed.