Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to all those hitting 80...WHY?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Thanks for telling us how you play the game.  I guess everybody else is doing it wrong.

people can play a game how they want and should be able to but then complain it's not fun because you aren't playing it how it was designed to be played seems silly to me. They incorporated numerous ways to level in this game but their big focus for PVE and you can see this by reading dev blogs or listening to their Q & A's is the world they created, the ability to just go out and explore, to watch events unfold in ever changing zones. If you are going to rush past and ignore this aspect they put the most work into then complain about the game what do you expect?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    I'm 62 and I haven't been rushing at all, have barely levelled tradeskills and have barely WvWvWed.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Harttz

You don't play the game the same way as me! You must be an idiot! My way is the only way to play a game! If you play more than me then you have no life and if you play less then you are a casual carebear!

/thread

Hehe this ^^

Because we all know theres only one way to play the game and anyone that doesn't play just like the OP is a total idiot. God they nerve of some people, like they have the right to pay the way they want. The OP's way is the only way and God save us from the god forsaken trollish newb haters that don't play like God... urr oops I mean the OP

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Thanks for telling us how you play the game.  I guess everybody else is doing it wrong.

people can play a game how they want and should be able to but then complain it's not fun because you aren't playing it how it was designed to be played seems silly to me. They incorporated numerous ways to level in this game but their big focus for PVE and you can see this by reading dev blogs or listening to their Q & A's is the world they created, the ability to just go out and explore, to watch events unfold in ever changing zones. If you are going to rush past and ignore this aspect they put the most work into then complain about the game what do you expect?

Um excuse me but Ibelieve you are mistaken, oh oops sorry thats right you know how we are to play and how Arenanet intented us to play please forgive us less then omniscent Idiots.  However I do believe I read in several place though where arenanets main Focus was PVP NOT Pve and in fact their aim was to turn GW2 WvWvW into a esport. Of course I'm sure thats all wrong and you know best please continue to tell us how it "was designed to be played" as we are not all knowing like you.

Silly me I though GW2 as to be played for fun, not for the right or wrong way to play it.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I'm confused, I thought the game was designed, so that after you hit eighty,  you could go back to any zone an still have fun. I must have read that wrong. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

"game was designed this way" - please show me a dev post telling us how the game should be played.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    It's their $60. They can level how they want. I never understood it though. Its like buying a dvd movie and fast forwarding to the end and saying, "This movie wasn't much to do about anything."
  • JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    nah, they want to hurry up to get to level cap so they can whine and complain that there is nothing to do.  But like OP said its their $$$$ they do what they want to do i could care less.
  • TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by sonoggi

i cant imagine why people would wanna shit all over this game and powerlevel till 80. to those hitting 80 already - you must really hate the game (or play 24/7).

i logged about 50 hours on my guardian, enjoying DE's, personal story, spvp, tpvp and WvW. im only level 22 >.<  im enjoying every square foot of this beautiful world. 

50 hours? Highly doubt that. Literally completing two zones, which should, at most, take you 20 hours (giving you very large amounts of extra time here).

It's not that people are rushing toward 80, it's that they're actually seeing this content you say they're not seeing. This game isn't a grind fest. Levels are not an indicator of progress as a player or as a character, so stop trying to make that the case. Literally following the carrot on a stick that this game does for you w/ the hearts will get you to level 22 in less than half the time it seemed to take you. Doing other things, all of which provide XP to your character, adds up.

I honestly find it hard to believe that it has taken you that long to hit 22 unless you're documenting everything you do and having conversations with yourself about what just happened, how much you loved it, and how much nobody else could have possibly seen the same thing as you because they're all rushing to 80 and missing out.

On my Guardian character for instance I've done almost everything possible up to the point of being 25. I've completed almost everything in every starter zone, done a 15-25 zone, WV3'd for 10-12 hours, all within 25'ish hours on the character.

Because I've leveled quicker than you, does that mean I saw less than you? Nope. Does it mean I appreciate it more or less than you? Nope.

It just means you're slower at what you do. It doesn't mean you experienced more than us. People do things at different rates. Stop being discriminant.

Originally posted by Nitth

"game was designed this way" - please show me a dev post telling us how the game should be played.

so if I play a game like splinter cell and try to play it like gears of war and am upset it doesn't play how I want it to i should get upset? they are both third person shooters I should be able to play how I want.... they are made with differn't design philosophies and playstyles..  same thing with combat if i stand toe to toe I will get destroyed in this game because it was how it was designed.. should I complain about that as well?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Nitth "game was designed this way" - please show me a dev post telling us how the game should be played.
    so if I play a game like splinter cell and try to play it like gears of war and am upset it doesn't play how I want it to i should get upset? they are both third person shooters I should be able to play how I want they are made with differn't design philosophies and playstyles.. same  with combat if i stand toe to toe I will get destroyed in this game because it was how it was designed.. should I complain about that as well?

Whos doing the complaining in this thread? Think your being a bit pre-emptive to where this thread may be heading....The op stated that he thinks people rushing to 80 are in some way 'doing it wrong'.

To which my response is, Play how you like. Unless there is some ToS violation.

In regards to your quotes, Ive never played either of those games so i cannot comment.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

there have been a few that rushed to lvl 80 and a few of them have been A holes about it one of witch was spamming his lvl 80 gears to the chat window and got baned 2 times 1st for the spamming and the 2nd when they logon with another account started talking bad about how the lvl 80 got baned.

as for me i am lvl 49 with about 80 hours of play time but it does seams the higher you get the faster the lvl's come

so if I play a game like splinter cell and try to play it like gears of war and am upset it doesn't play how I want it to i should get upset? they are both third person shooters I should be able to play how I want they are made with differn't design philosophies and playstyles.. same  with combat if i stand toe to toe I will get destroyed in this game because it was how it was designed.. should I complain about that as well?

But unless I am reading things wrong, the game was designed so that after you hit eighty you could go back to lower zones and still enjoy the content.  You could never "Out level" a zone.

The OP is saying racing to 80 is not playing it was it was disigned to play. How is racing to 80, not playing it as it as designed? Because now ALL the content from 1-80 available to you. That is how it was designed.

Where have the Dev's said, "You must level slow or you will miss out on content?" That is how we desiged it. 

I am looking forward to playing this game when the initial rush is over, but posts like this give me mixed signals about the game because . 1) If I race to 80 I miss out on content 2) but previous posts have stated you can do all the content in a relevant way after hitting cap. This is a confusing contradiction. Which is it?

Originally posted by Vlhad7734
    nah, they want to hurry up to get to level cap so they can whine and complain that there is nothing to do.  But like OP said its their $$$$ they do what they want to do i could care less.

Link please?

Just because some of us are leveling faster doesn't mean we are bashing the game. Its a good game. Its weird how some players get things all twisted and figure because some people are leveling faster then them they must be power leveling to bash the game. Look I don't tell you how to play the game. I don't stop playing so I can come here and whine how some people are spemding to much time jumping  around to get to some spot, or simply standing around dancing or showing off new cosmetic look x20

So yes some of us have more time to play, and yes some of us like actually doing stuff in game rather then showing off, (looks) Goofing off (dancing like a madman/women) or checking to see if I can really reach that ledge and spending hours jumping around. Different strokes for different folks really. The games fine, its some of the weird conformist, "you must play my way" game fans that are silly. Guess every comunity has them.

So I'm higher lvl then you deal with it, get over the fact arenanet isn't forcing me to stay at your level and go play the game and have fun.

edit: sorry Vlhad this was not all aimed at you just as much to the op and a few other posters here that seem to know how the game is supposed to be played and imply those of us having fun and leveling faster then them are wrong because we don't play the same way they do.

Originally posted by Nitth "game was designed this way" - please show me a dev post telling us how the game should be played.

Whos doing the complaining in this thread? Think your being a bit pre-emptive to where this thread may be heading....The op stated that he thinks people rushing to 80 are in some way 'doing it wrong'.

To which my response is, Play how you like. Unless there is some ToS violation.

In regards to your quotes, Ive never played either of those games so i cannot comment.

guess I read what you wrote wrong then... :)

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

But unless I am reading things wrong, the game was designed so that after you hit eighty you could go back to lower zones and still enjoy the content.  You could never "Out level" a zone.

The OP is saying racing to 80 is not playing it was it was disigned to play. How is racing to 80, not playing it as it as designed? Because now ALL the content from 1-80 available to you. That is how it was designed.

Where have the Dev's said, "You must level slow or you will miss out on content?" That is how we desiged it. 

I am looking forward to playing this game when the initial rush is over, but posts like this give me mixed signals about the game because . 1) If I race to 80 I miss out on content 2) but previous posts have stated you can do all the content in a relevant way after hitting cap. This is a confusing contradiction. Which is it?

was replying to the wrong thread lol.. anyways yes you could play like that if you want.. people have alternate playstyles.. but to me seems like people who rush aren't interested in going back and enjoying the zones.. mostly they rush to 80 and complain there wasn't enough content even though they skipped or missed most of whats there

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

You can definitely do all the content after hitting level cap. Unfortunately the content doesn't scale to you, you simply scale to it. By this I mean, on average when I complete a lvl 80 event in Orr i get 12-14k xp. Go back to a lower level zone at 80, and you will get half that if you are lucky. The drops you get will rarely be of use in lower level zones too. So while you can go back and enjoy the content provided, it's not necessarily worth it in a reward sense.

That being said, now that I'm level 80 I fully intend to complete the map!

Originally posted by Jimmydean

You can definitely do all the content after hitting level cap. Unfortunately the content doesn't scale to you, you simply scale to it. By this I mean, on average when I complete a lvl 80 event in Orr i get 12-14k xp. Go back to a lower level zone at 80, and you will get half that if you are lucky. The drops you get will rarely be of use in lower level zones too. So while you can go back and enjoy the content provided, it's not necessarily worth it in a reward sense.

That being said, now that I'm level 80 I fully intend to complete the map!

I am looking forward to this. I was planning waiting a month, I waited on SW:TOR and it  saved me some money (I never bought it). I waited on TSW and now I am playing and enjoying it.

This game looks really good. I might not wait the month.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I just hit level 73, with about 125 hours of play time. I'm 73 due to the amount of time played, not because I've been power leveling. I've taken time to enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it. I'll probably hit 80 around the 135 hour mark. It's been a long while since I've played an MMO that took more than 80 hours to hit the level cap. Heck, there are very few MMOs since WoW launched that I've even wanted to play for 130+ hours total! (Sadly, I've only made it about 40 hours in to a number of MMOs the past three years).

Level scaling works and I think I'm only at around 33% world completion, so there is plenty for me to do even after I hit the level cap. I haven't even touched dungeons yet. I did play a couple hours of WvW and had a blast, though I haven't touched sPvP so far. I also know I have many alts to play over the course of the next year.

Every game has the power levelers that reach the cap asap, lose interest and move onto something else. However, for people wanting a long term MMO experience, this game is the answer to many prayers. I'm confident that if I keep working on my main, I'll easily be able to get 200+ hours of game play from one character. I also enjoy alts, so 1,000 hours between all characters is something I can also see myself achieving.

Thank you, Arenanet, for making an MMO that actually has some real meat to it, along with just being fun to play all around!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The trading post came up and I just couldn't stop crafting!  It took me straight to 80 (and actually leveled up 4 more times after that, gaining 4 skill points); I made a few gold in the process; AND I got to make all my own level 80 gear.  It was such a blast!  So don't tell me not to play and have fun the way I want.  

The thing about GW2 is the whole game remains open to you even after you reach 80.  No game out there penalizes players less for "rushing" to max level than GW2.  

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Homitu

The trading post came up and I just couldn't stop crafting!  It took me straight to 80 (and actually leveled up 4 more times after that, gaining 4 skill points); I made a few gold in the process; AND I got to make all my own level 80 gear.  It was such a blast!  So don't tell me not to play and have fun the way I want.  

The thing about GW2 is the whole game remains open to you even after you reach 80.  No game out there penalizes players less for "rushing" to max level than GW2.  

I'd like to know how you are making money crafting, because so far for me, it's been a complete money sink!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Hiting 80 so that you can move on with your life. Do some endgame, dungeons, WvW, crafting, continue building skill points. All that good stuff.
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Not sure how you can level " to fast " since you can only level at the speed the game allows you to .. if the game allows it then it can not be to fast 

(not including exploits ofc)

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    Originally posted by Vlhad7734

this =(

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    It took me 158 hours to get to level 80. I know, i know thats not alot of sleep but i was having to much fun and i still am.