Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hit 80 today: Big turnoff on leveling alts in all the same level 25+ zones

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by dorksmetal

you do know that 30-40.40-50 are suggested level not the amount of levels you can get in the area right?

anyways  im level 80 and had no problem leveling. never had to grind never did crafting. beside the few dragons i killed a few times over but good loot was got for those.

not a fanboy, the game isnt perfect but i didnt have any issue with the exp. everything after 40 i flet gave too much exp and i leveled faster 40-80 then i did 1-40

Read the OP again.  I wasn't saying I had trouble leveling.  My complaint is in regards to my first alt redoing a lot of zones.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps.. oh btw found WvW gave me a TON of XP not sure what your issues with XP was in there

they're called locusts.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

How a person wants to play a game is... well... personal.

I appreciate your approach and the struggles you had with it but is it ok for some of us to ask you questions about that approach or offer suggestions on how to overcome the struggles?

Not wanting to see *any* content more than once while leveling is certainly your right to hold as a preference, but I have to ask you if you think you are being fair to the design of the game to treat the vast majority of content (the DEs) as "one shot throwaway" quests?

One of the things I love about this game is I can wander through the a zone and participate in the same events over again and have them feel like different experiences. Sometimes it was due to the size of the group. Or its composition. Or whether we succeeded or failed. Or whether I chose to defend the Eastern Gate or the Western one.

When I first started playing in the BWEs I wanted to "save" content and areas like you to "keep it fresh" so every BWE and Stress Test I played in Queensdale. After 3 BWEs, 2 longer Stress Tests, and Launch I still experienced new Events I hadn't seen in previous playings.

I'm still not tired of the area either. It's fun! I love it! It is likely that every character I make will go through Queensdale along with whatever racial area they call home.

Like I said at the beginning of my response, your personal preference is yours and it is 110% your right to choose how you want or prefer to play. Maybe what I'm suggesting simply won't work for you. But please try to keep an open mind and reflect on your approach. I really feel like you are treating DEs like one-time quests that simply aren't worth experiencing again. I don't think that is their design.

Please at least consider that.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I do the same thing you do and I'm not having your problems at all. 

Sounds like you need to repeat a few dynamic events and run to them whem people on map chat state they are up. Sounds like you are only doing DE's as they come along while you run around. You can can 1 or 2 DE's a few times and gain a level. I always outlevel the zone before I finish it.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

you do know that 30-40.40-50 are suggested level not the amount of levels you can get in the area right?

anyways  im level 80 and had no problem leveling. never had to grind never did crafting. beside the few dragons i killed a few times over but good loot was got for those.

not a fanboy, the game isnt perfect but i didnt have any issue with the exp. everything after 40 i flet gave too much exp and i leveled faster 40-80 then i did 1-40

Read the OP again.  I wasn't saying I had trouble leveling.  My complaint is in regards to my first alt redoing a lot of zones.

You should try taking one of your alts, and try something a little different. Don't use the map. Just look at your surroundings and navigate where you are. Listen to the conversations of the NPC's and just follow your instincts.  I really really wish that a person could turn every part of the UI off except the skillbar.  I think you might be surprised in how much better the ratio might seem if you take your time and enjoy it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

with how events work you can go through the same zone multiple times and see new events,  events you only saw at the end or ones you only saw a tiny part of.. if you have issues leveling alts in this game I hate to think how you would handle it in most other games that have very linear and direct leveling paths where you do the exact same quests in the exact same order each time....

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Sounds like you need to repeat a few dynamic events and run to them whem people on map chat state they are up. Sounds like you are only doing DE's as they come along while you run around. You can can 1 or 2 DE's a few times and gain a level. I always outlevel the zone before I finish it.

In my experience there were only a few times when anyone announced a DE, and that was because they needed help.  It would certainly have been a lot better if I could see where every DE was on the map.  I did make the mistake of missing out on starting DE's early on as I thought they were automated.  But I almost never skipped an event when it popped up for me.

I'll probably roll an alt soon and so I'll see if I was mistaken on certain things.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

The way I leveled was:

1) Do every heart, POI and vista in each region.

2) Farm every ore node I came across

3) Do almost every DE that popped up on my map. 

4) Did story quests when I hit the appropriate level

I tried WvWvW just once, I was turned off by the zerg nature and the low EXP.  I was later turned off by the long queues.  I also tried crafting but found it didn't get me very far and I ran out of mats pretty quick.  I skipped the dungeons because I didn't want to run instances and felt I shouldn't have to.

In order to reach the cap with that four step approach, I ended up having to go to almost every zone that was tagged between 30 and 75.  The problem is that when I roll an alt, I'm going to be rerunning a LOT of content.

My expectation is that it should be simple and wait free to run one zone for each of the following level ranges: 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80.  Doing so would allow my first alt to run the alternate versions of those zones.  And a second alt could fill in by going to zones like the 35-45, 55-65, 70-75 and 75-80 zones.

The only way I could see that happening using my leveling preference would be to have rerun and search for DE's after I completed the zone.  I feel that the zones were plenty large but that they didn't present me with enough EXP to be at the cap of the current zone.

I also felt that the EXP per story quest was far too low in many cases relative to the time spent. especially at higher levels.

Welcome to a level based game... should of known this as soon as you started playing and realized it was similar to certain other games.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

with how events work you can go through the same zone multiple times and see new events,  events you only saw at the end or ones you only saw a tiny part of.. if you have issues leveling alts in this game I hate to think how you would handle it in most other games that have very linear and direct leveling paths where you do the exact same quests in the exact same order each time....

Yep. Ive played 3 Asura characters through the 1st zone, and on each one I wound up discovering new DEs that I hadnt experienced on the previous plkay throughs. I also took 1 of my Asura and my Charr to Wayfarer Foothills (Norn starter area) and ran into new DEs I hadnt expereienced when I went throughit on my Norn toon.

Originally posted by Nightfyre

The way I leveled was:

1) Do every heart, POI and vista in each region.

2) Farm every ore node I came across

3) Do almost every DE that popped up on my map. 

4) Did story quests when I hit the appropriate level

I tried WvWvW just once, I was turned off by the zerg nature and the low EXP.  I was later turned off by the long queues.  I also tried crafting but found it didn't get me very far and I ran out of mats pretty quick.  I skipped the dungeons because I didn't want to run instances and felt I shouldn't have to.

In order to reach the cap with that four step approach, I ended up having to go to almost every zone that was tagged between 30 and 75.  The problem is that when I roll an alt, I'm going to be rerunning a LOT of content.

My expectation is that it should be simple and wait free to run one zone for each of the following level ranges: 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80.  Doing so would allow my first alt to run the alternate versions of those zones.  And a second alt could fill in by going to zones like the 35-45, 55-65, 70-75 and 75-80 zones.

The only way I could see that happening using my leveling preference would be to have rerun and search for DE's after I completed the zone.  I feel that the zones were plenty large but that they didn't present me with enough EXP to be at the cap of the current zone.

I also felt that the EXP per story quest was far too low in many cases relative to the time spent. especially at higher levels.

Welcome to a level based game... should of known this as soon as you started playing and realized it was similar to certain other games.

I thought they learned from the backlash on SWTOR for a completely linear leveling path.  It looked that way from the map and the zone levels.  And I assumed they were the first to get it right since WOW gave us two paths.

In my experience there were only a few times when anyone announced a DE, and that was because they needed help.  It would certainly have been a lot better if I could see where every DE was on the map.  I did make the mistake of missing out on starting DE's early on as I thought they were automated.  But I almost never skipped an event when it popped up for me.

I'll probably roll an alt soon and so I'll see if I was mistaken on certain things.

sort of missing the whole point of the game in a way.. i know people hate to hear that but it's like playing TERA or this game and complain you can't just stand around and go toe to toe with everything without dying.. game was designed a certain way and to get the most out of it should be played that way. Again not telling people how to play but to understand and really enjoy PVE i would read the dev blogs and see how this world was designed.. if you are trying to paly it like other MMOs you will probably not be happy with it.. you play it like a open world type RPG you will probably enjoy the game a TON more.. at least I know it do:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

sort of missing the whole point of the game in a way.. i know people hate to hear that but it's like playing TERA or this game and complain you can't just stand around and go toe to toe with everything without dying.. game was designed a certain way and to get the most out of it should be played that way. Again not telling people how to play but to understand and really enjoy PVE i would read the dev blogs and see how this world was designed.. if you are trying to paly it like other MMOs you will probably not be happy with it.. you play it like a open world type RPG you will probably enjoy the game a TON more.. at least I know it do:)

The whole point of the game is to play how you want. He's not "doing it wrong" because he doesn't want to repeat content. It is an issue with any level based game. 

I'd take the word of someone who is level 80 and actually seen the game over a developer who wants to sell the game, and someone who's only experience beyond level 30 is what the developer tells them.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps.. oh btw found WvW gave me a TON of XP not sure what your issues with XP was in there

exactly. Same here. My highest is level 30 as well, because in this game there is nothing to rush to the end for. Not to say it doesn't have an end game but it's not all focused at the end like most games. Althroughout the game are dungeons, and i highly doubt you hit every meta event post level 30 personally because i've seen through a friend's gameplay (who's crazy about leveling to max as well) what those events look like later on.

It amazes me that people do this but, what can one do about it. We tried to warn you not to rush. 

Originally posted by Jimmydean

The whole point of the game is to play how you want. He's not "doing it wrong" because he doesn't want to repeat content. It is an issue with any level based game. 

I'd take the word of someone who is level 80 and actually seen the game over a developer who wants to sell the game, and someone who's only experience beyond level 30 is what the developer tells them.

my highest guild memeber just hit 70.. he has 41% of the world discovered.. he has missed numerous zones on his way to 70.. so most likely OP is missing a lot of the zones content. Thing is yuo can easily level to 80 just by PVP or crafting or combination of them all that's what they mean by play how you want. And again like said above you can play the same zone mutliple times and each time it won't be exactly the same. Which is lot more than can be said for most any other MMO

You should take into consideration that people aren't telling him he's supposed to repeat content, rather that he's rushing past content.

For example, one might ask if he's taken on the world event in the human 1 - 15 area.  The Shadow Behemoth. There are alot of events that need to be progressed through stages of events before you've actually completed them. Has he done all those events to the fullest? 

The point is, that if he rushes through these areas, without taking the time to "smell the roses" so to speak, then he will HAVE to repeat content because he burned through every area doing half of the content. I really don't think this is exclusively Anets fault.

Now you've seen it, you can't unsee it!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled

You should take into consideration that people aren't telling him he's supposed to repeat content, rather that he's rushing past content.

For example, one might ask if he's taken on the world event in the human 1 - 15 area.  The Shadow Behemoth. There are alot of events that need to be progressed through stages of events before you've actually completed them. Has he done all those events to the fullest? 

The point is, that if he rushes through these areas, without taking the time to "smell the roses" so to speak, then he will HAVE to repeat content because he burned through every area doing half of the content. I really don't think this is exclusively Anets fault.

So you're suggesting that Arenanet wants us to go back and repeat events over and over again until we hit the level point where you don't have to double up a level range zone? Because as a level 80, I can tell you that would not be fun or interesting at all. Most zones that are labeled as 60-70 give you about 4 levels after fully exploring the map / full map completion. This would leave you grinding DEs for 6 levels, and considering the amount of them bugged you would be hard pressed to find that many events.

So you're suggesting that Arenanet wants us to go back and repeat events over and over again until we hit the level point where you don't have to double up a level range zone? Because as a level 80, I can tell you that would not be fun or interesting at all. Most zones that are labeled as 60-70 give you about 4 levels after fully exploring the map / full map completion. This would leave you grinding DEs for 6 levels, and considering the amount of them bugged you would be hard pressed to find that many events.

No. What I'm suggesting is that if you take your time, and play through the content that is available in 1 zone, you won't be short on experience. I have 60% complete on the human 1 - 15 area at level 14 and I haven't been grinding DE's though I did get 1 level from WvW. I did some crafting and spent time exploring, looking for jumping puzzles and interesting spots.  I know that it's possible to get full levels by just doing the 1 area without grinding. Just don't be in a rush. It's there, it's just not all active constantly, so you need to take your time.

EDIT: Either I missed it, or he changed the title but I don't have anything to say about the 25+ zones, as I haven't been there yet.

No. What I'm suggesting is that if you take your time, and play through the content that is available in 1 zone, you won't be short on experience. I have 60% complete on the human 1 - 15 area at level 14 and I haven't been grinding DE's though I did get 1 level from WvW. I did some crafting and spent time exploring, looking for jumping puzzles and interesting spots.  I know that it's possible to get full levels by just doing the 1 area without grinding. Just don't be in a rush. It's there, it's just not all active constantly, so you need to take your time.

EDIT: Either I missed it, or he changed the title but I don't have anything to say about the 25+ zones, as I haven't been there yet.

Yea 1-25 isn't the problem. 40-80 is.

my highest guild memeber just hit 70.. he has 41% of the world discovered.. he has missed numerous zones on his way to 70.. so most likely OP is missing a lot of the zones content. Thing is yuo can easily level to 80 just by PVP or crafting or combination of them all that's what they mean by play how you want. And again like said above you can play the same zone mutliple times and each time it won't be exactly the same. Which is lot more than can be said for most any other MMO

I played 88 hours to hit 80 and competed 55% of the world map.  I barely explored the WvWvW maps, and I assume they are also part of the 100% completion.

I certainly didn't complete the cities other than Black citadel or the other races starting zones (as that will spoil rolling races there).  I did complete every zone between 25 and 70 (which I consider a problem).  In order to make leveling easier I probably did half of the zones starting at 70.  I didn't do the 75-80 zome or the 80 zone.

There was nothing wrong in how I leveled.  There should be no waiting around waiting around for DE's, if I finished the zone I moved on.

I changed the title only, fairly soon after posting.  That's because people clearly weren't reading the content of the post.  The issue is that I was able to complete 100% of all of the zones between 25 and 70 and was still only level 70.  Something that really hurts replayability.

I loved leveling, I just am disappointed that I've seen all the zones between 25 and 70 on my first character and only some DEs will be new on an alt in those zones.  I have started an alt and am changing to gathering everything I find.  That's a far less efficient way of leveling but will likely allow for the discovery of more DEs while leveling.

I played 88 hours to hit 80 and competed 55% of the world map.  I barely explored the WvWvW maps, and I assume they are also part of the 100% completion.

I certainly didn't complete the cities other than Black citadel or the other races starting zones (as that will spoil rolling races there).  I did complete every zone between 25 and 70 (which I consider a problem).  In order to make leveling easier I probably did half of the zones starting at 70.  I didn't do the 75-80 zome or the 80 zone.

I certainly didn't do anything wrong, I was simply being efficient in leveling.  No waiting around for DE's, if they weren't popping up I moved on.

that's one of the issues though to really get the most out of the zones you should go around and look out to start DE's on your own not just hope they pop and if not move on.. i can't tell how many events I missed on the first playthough of a zone that I got into the next time I was around in the zone. But to me if you play the way you are it still adds a LOT to playing an alt as you will see new events in each area as you level up another character. The world was meant for you to revisit zones and have new experiences unlike most MMOS where once you complete a zone there is really very little if any reason to return in many cases(especially lower level ones). 

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Dear OP.

Turn ON NPC names.

Click named NPCs and check the surroundings, start Events.

People that wait for events will always get bored.

that's one of the issues though to really get the most out of the zones you should go around and look out to start DE's on your own not just hope they pop and if not move on.. i can't tell how many events I missed on the first playthough of a zone that I got into the next time I was around in the zone. But to me if you play the way you are it still adds a LOT to playing an alt as you will see new events in each area as you level up another character. The world was meant for you to revisit zones and have new experiences unlike most MMOS where once you complete a zone there is really very little if any reason to return in many cases(especially lower level ones). 

Once you've completed a zone, I don't understand why I would return to a lowbie zone as a level 80 unless it has a dungeon.  Maybe if something amazing happened like a true invasion with brand new events that affect other zones.

I think they really could expand on the DEs quite a bit.  Right now the limitation is the added development time and the issues of having a zone overrun by the enemy and making it more difficult for people to level in.

Once you've completed a zone, I don't understand why I would return to a lowbie zone as a level 80 unless it has a dungeon.  Maybe if something amazing happened like a true invasion with brand new events that affect other zones.

I think they really could expand on the DEs quite a bit.  Right now the limitation is the added development time and the issues of having a zone overrun by the enemy and making it more difficult for people to level in.

because they are fun? have you done all the meta events of the 1-15 zones? each one has 2 meta events which are a lot of fun and give good rewards.. the sylvari one against the giant frog that transforms everyone into differn't animals is a lot of fun.. frozen maw event is a blast.. i could probably do the fire elemental event in the asura zone 50 times and not get bored that fight is amazing.. The shadow behemoth is just crazy for a 1-15 boss..  my guild mates are having a ton of fun in the zone the shatterer spawns at... have you played in Orr yet?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Vanilla WOW wasn't the most fun leveling experience, but I think they got it right in the fact that your first character could easily level off of the zones in one continent and see the other continent on an alt.  That should be the standard.  

GW2 has the zones, just not enough content or EXP in them without grinding DEs.  The goal should be to provide choice and options on where to go when leveling.

I think Anet missed the boat on that one.

I agree, it would be nice to have unexplored content still waiting for you when you create your alt. I'm an altaholic, so I enjoy different leveling paths (guess that's y I did not like Rift). I think developers are just too busy, lazy, or uninterested in multiple paths.