Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rangers: rez your pets or don't bring them into battle in the first place

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by rosco

2) This pet death icon should be different than the player death icon. they are just too different in value. I will rez anyone, anytime, ASAP, but not a pet. I don't even want to lose time trying to discernate if it's a player or an animal.

i agree

ideally,  give players an option to toggle OFF pet rezzing

Cannot stress this enough. Have you suggested it to them?

This is annoying as fuck.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Pets kinda suck

And any ranger that ignores their downed pet is a poor ranger.

Or doesnt feed it Pedigree Chum while we are at it :P

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

The problem is most Ranger players don't understand pet management at the moment. If your pet is about to die and you switch pets, the cool down is 15 seconds. If you wait for it to die, the cool down on your next swap is 1 minute. 

You also have the ability of pulling your pet back to you before he dies. I have no trouble keeping my pets alive even in dungeons, but I seem to be the only one in my guild who is good at this as my friends pets are always dead. If the don't want to manage pets, they should be playing a thief or warrior with bows. 

You also can spec into stronger pets, however most haven't tried these builds much. 

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Pets kinda suck

then you are not using them properly

with the right pet combination, depending on the match, or situation. i can keep you bleeding and blind almost permanently. 

a ranger's pet is its class bonus. (just like engineer's turrets)

your traps and pets alone can cause enough damage to win a fight. weapons just make them deadly. (bows, then switch to 1H+dagger) 

also to the OP

unless i'm missing something you can't not bring your pet. it's not a skill, its innate to your character's ranger class.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Pets kinda suck

As with most things, it's totally situational.

For example, if my pet is dead and another player needs reviving, I'm gonna revive that player first. Also, if a fight needs my DPS right now I'm not going to step out of the fight to make my pet better instead. In fact I'm willing to bet money that within the next few days there'll be a thread titled "Rangers: quit rezzing your pets in combat u noobs!" or something similar.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

I'll say it again:

F4

Learn it, love it, use it.

A hunter should NEVER have to rez a pet. Proper use of F4. Ranger 101.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by cahenderson

I'll say it again:

F4

Preach on my brother!

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Gibbonici

Pets kinda suck

For example, if my pet is dead and another player needs reviving, I'm gonna revive that player first. Also, if a fight needs my DPS right now I'm not going to step out of the fight to make my pet better instead. In fact I'm willing to bet money that within the next few days there'll be a thread titled "Rangers: quit rezzing your pets in combat u noobs!" or something similar.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Originally posted by cahenderson

I'll say it again:

F4

Preach on my brother!

RE-QFT!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

The problem is most Ranger players don't understand pet management at the moment. If your pet is about to die and you switch pets, the cool down is 15 seconds. If you wait for it to die, the cool down on your next swap is 1 minute. 

You also have the ability of pulling your pet back to you before he dies. I have no trouble keeping my pets alive even in dungeons, but I seem to be the only one in my guild who is good at this as my friends pets are always dead. If the don't want to manage pets, they should be playing a thief or warrior with bows. 

You also can spec into stronger pets, however most haven't tried these builds much. 

Well, in PvE / Dungeons its one thing, but its a bit tougher to keep your pet up and pull it back / swap before it dies in WvW. Sometimes your pet will get in there and be fine for awhile and you can manage it, but other times the pet will wind up being in the center of a mass of AoEs and dead in 2 seconds.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Gibbonici
    Pets kinda suck

The time to rez plus the time you are not contributing to the fight is the reason pet swapping is critical to the Ranger and his ability to fight. Swapping allows your near dead pet to rest and come back fully healed in less time than it takes to rez in combat. Just have to make sure to watch their health and send them away before they die.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

How many time did it happen to you ? In the middle of a big battle (PvE or WvW) you see a rez icon in front of you, and as you start to rez your teammate, you notice that the guy is actually an animal.

1) I won't lose my time rezzing a pet when even it's master doesn't find it valuable to rez it himself. Is a pet so crappy that you can play with or without it in the same way ?

2) This pet death icon should be different than the player death icon. they are just too different in value. I will rez anyone, anytime, ASAP, but not a pet. I don't even want to lose time trying to discernate if it's a player or an animal.

3) This costs me money and loot too, because I cannot spam the loot key whenever I want in a big fight, since a roaming ranger will sometimes bring it's "rez target" into your action zone, stopping your loot since you might be trapped in a useless rez animation while you just wanted to loot the zone. So you just stop looting for a time, and yes, you forget stuff on the floor.

We don't need to see a dead pet on the minimap either.

most people in this game don't know that they can switch pets mid battle bringing in a completely healthy pet right off the bat i guess.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

its pointless to res a pet during WvW 

u res your pet just so u can RE res it after 5 sec

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    admitedly Im not a very high lvl ranger.. but i wish we had a pet heal that wasnt tied to OUR heal. If i have to choose betwenn using my heal when my pet needs it or saving it for when I might need it, Ill win ever time lol.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The problem is virtually nobody specs to pet traits so pets are obscenely squishy even the tank ones so they simply arent worth rezzing for the time it takes without specs.  Everyone wants a giant damage number epeen so marksman skirmish are the way a lot seem to spec.

Without pet traiting your pet will be dead fast then you heal at around 19 per tick taking 15-20 seconds of you being out the fight to get the pet back up.

I do spec to pets and healing and if my polar bear falls below 25%(bloody rare) it gets swapped out if by some weird chance swap is on cooldown and the pet has to die then I can get a pet back up and in the fight in 3 seconds with revive due to the pet healing enhancements that traiting to pets offers.

IMO Pets shouldnt be available unless you have began to spec to pet traits this would make more sense I'm not adverse to the creature still running round as a companion but it should not be able to attack be attacked etc until a certain number of traits into the line much like SWG's creature handler was and the base offered nothing more than a call ability with no commands and more commands unlocked with the tiers.

Pets can be excellent though I've lost count of the amount of thanks I have had when my pet drags someone's corpse off the ground with the search and rescue skill whilst I can still DPS or when the pet due to its high health and damage taking abilities can go to a revive I simply couldnt due to squishiness.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Well, in PvE / Dungeons its one thing, but its a bit tougher to keep your pet up and pull it back / swap before it dies in WvW. Sometimes your pet will get in there and be fine for awhile and you can manage it, but other times the pet will wind up being in the center of a mass of AoEs and dead in 2 seconds.

No, it's really not. *THIS* is a prime example about why GW2, as with GW1, is DIFFERENT than other MMO's.

You can't expect the person who mashes the most buttons the fastest to automatically win in this game. You have to *THINK*.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

My pets hardly ever die in any battle,i let pet attack and when it get's just under half way i call it back and let it heal then send him in again.

This is only when i'm doing DE and WvW

Simple..

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

when my pet dies i swap pets right away and keep swaping them and when the cool down goes slower and the pet is dead i dismiss it to avoid the OPs issues....

i always use my pets but they: 1) die too fast, and 2) deal TPS (tickles per second)..... their dmg suck, but oh well.... (that counts for every pet, ranger pets, necromancers pets, mesmers illusions and phantasms, elementalist elemental pets, engineer turrets, etc)

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

My pets hardly ever die in any battle,i let pet attack and when it get's just under half way i call it back and let it heal then send him in again.

This is only when i'm doing DE and WvW

Simple..

This is pretty much how I do it. At the moment I'm playing around with using my pets for their buffs/debuffs (or as alpha strikers) instead of just straight DPS, and only switching them when the situation changes. Seems to be working OK at the moment and it gives a bit of extra depth to combat.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by SQTO

I am a ranger and never rez my pets. if one dies then i just switch to the other one. 

Winner!!!

If you're not switching pets out when they die then you fail.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Nadia

i agree

ideally,  give players an option to toggle OFF pet rezzing

Yeah, good solution.

There really are a few more options I would like in the game, such as making it put all looted mats in the bank directly instead of forcing you to stop every 5 minutes harvesting to empty it out. And yes, the key to empty them all at once is gold.

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51

Anet answered my prayers. From the patch note:

Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    IF my pet dies, Im replacing it with f4. I usually have 2 pets.  A devourer with the poison field active or the cat with the stealth active.  If my cat gets low, I pull it back and let it regen or if I notice damage coming out a lot, I switch to the devourer.  Its ranged and fairly tanky.   Usually have to micro the cat behind the enemies and pull when I learn the aoe animation.  Ofc thats for dungeons.  For WvWvW or DE, my cat can survive an aoe blast so I can just pull it back and let the signet heal him to full.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Hey, OP! 

1)   Real men loot when the fight is over.  It's not like it vanishes.

2)   Swapping pets is elementary.

3)   Blue icon does not equal grey icon.

• GurrmonGurrmon Member Posts: 1

Apparently this was patched today.  Pets can no longer be revived.  Read the patch notes:

Ranger

• Beastmastery Trait: Instinctual Bond – Now grants 5 seconds of quickness to the player’s pet and can only occur once every 50 seconds.

• Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.