Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 avoid the same fate as SWTOR?

Comments

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

SWTOR failed because it was an instanced singleplayer game and people just ran out of content and stopped playing, like they do with singleplayer games. And because it did nothing new.

GW2 emphasizes community, long term RvR, and has a few nice innovations to keep people going.

Is even more intanced and it feel more singleplayer than swtor.

? Wow.  I'm amazed at how many lies you're able to spout across just a few posts.  GW2 has 8 dungeons.  Not 12.  Not 20.  8, and those don't even begin until your in the 30s.  Other than that the only instances are your personal story ones and if you had ever actually played the game you would know that those are significantly smaller than any personal instance in The Old Republic.  And even then your personal quest is only every handful of levels, compared to TOR where you have a lengthy personal instance in every area of area planet in the game.  Not to mention all the side-quest single-player instances.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

SWTOR failed because the game producers listened to the fanboys on its forums. The hype for the game was insane till the point that it was supposed to be the end all to all gaming and completely dominate the MMO scene.

It didn't.

It didn't even get close.

Why SWTOR failed is an intresting discussion but lets not get into that today, lets instead focus on hype. Can you think of any other game that has a hord of fanboys proclaiming that this game is going to totally change the industry and be the biggest thing ever since sliced bread?

Gosh, yeah GW2 might just be considered a heavily hyped game. And while the game has some intresting features. It is far from perfect.

Take one of its core features. Events. Perfect idea right? Well... during launch weekend, yes. But how do they compare to dungeons/instances in more classical games?

Very good you think, no waiting for a group?

That is true, now you are both waiting for a group AND a event. In some of the less travelled areas it is already possible to find events where there is nobody present. Getting people to get there is even harder. No summon capability, and lots of events have a limitted time to arrive. Once the launch rush has died and with it the zerg, you actually need a balanced group to survive some events.

And you can't just log in for a two hour session and do a instance with your mates, an event might not be up during that time. Or the server might get a patch and shut you out with no announcement.

Might events turn into Everquest 2 rare spawns? They were hard bosses that just spawned on very long times and they were boring as hell because of the waiting. How do you spawn the behemoth? Just wait in a swamp?

The game so far is a rollercoaster to me, fun but rollercoaster rides are short for a reason, people can only stand them for so long before a rollercoaster becomes not fun and then highly uncomfortable. I haven't reached that point yet, but then I haven't player GW2 exclusively to keep from being burned out to quickly.

But some are already burned out. 

SWTOR ultimately failed for me because the core gameplay was very very boring. GW2 base combat isn't much better, solo in this game is just leaving on auto-attack. It is events and the group combat that is fun in this game (for me) and that needs an active community, no people in an area for an event just makes for very boring solo play. That killed SWTOR, being on Alderaan and not seing another player for hours was boring.

If GW2 can avoid that, it will succeed. It might but I don't think this is the ultimate MMO yet. 

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    No...... after a month, people will quit paying sub and in second month servers will begin to be merged. Third month Anet will announce that GW2 is going F2P.

If GW2 goes F2P I quit.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    TOR didnt start out strong. and the difference is, GW2 will only get bigger with time (unlike TOR)
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    TOR didnt start out strong. and the difference is, GW2 will only get bigger with time (unlike TOR)

What are you talking about?, and gw2 wont get bigger, with content updates every 9-12 months, it will lose people after the 1st month or sooner

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Guild Wars 2 world is alive and has substance, as much as i really wanted SWTOR to work the engine sucked together with the fact i never really felt like i was in a living world.

What are you talking about?, and gw2 wont get bigger, with content updates every 9-12 months, it will lose people after the 1st month or sooner

Total bulls hit.

Even the low level dynamic events are fun to repeat over and over imo.

Im having more fun doing those than i did in my 4 months worth of playing SWTOR.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Urko

Total bulls hit.

Im having more fun doing those than i did in my 4 months worth of playing SWTOR.

I know u are being sarcastic you cant be serious, At least, u find fun to hunt bunnys and feed cows

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    No...... after a month, people will quit paying sub and in second month servers will begin to be merged. Third month Anet will announce that GW2 is going F2P.

I hope you are being sarcastic cuz if not you really need to read up on GW2, at least.

There is no sub. All you need is buy the game. It is already f2p after you bought the game.

Total bulls hit.

I know u are being sarcastic you cant be serious, At least, u find fun to hunt bunnys and feed cows

mega serious actually, if you think theres more fun (and i played 4 months of it) to be had in SWTOR , your being sarcastic.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Total bulls hit.

I dont like feeding cows or hunting bunnies. Thats why I dont do those events again. Its quite easy to choose not to repeat any event you did not like. But I really like stopping the bandits from blowing up the water pipes so I run by that area sometimes in hopes that the event is going.

You seem to have a very limited view of this game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

LoL, you dont even need a grp in GW2, not even talk.

You don't need a group in any mmo to hit max level especially the way they are made now so as usual I doubt most take you the least bit seriously or would love to know what your point is.

On second thought scratch that...doubt most would...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Total bulls hit.

I dont like feeding cows or hunting bunnies. Thats why I dont do those events again. Its quite easy to choose not to repeat any event you did not like. But I really like stopping the bandits from blowing up the water pipes so I run by that area sometimes in hopes that the event is going.

You seem to have a very limited view of this game.

Yeah the events are ingeniously devised, they dont get boring.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Some are and some aren't. Kind of a mixed bag really. Not all the DEs are real unique or ingenious. Some are downright fucking tedious and repetitive.

Still, there are those that shine and if you complete the chain (assuming it is one that has one) are pretty cool.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

SWTOR failed because it was an instanced singleplayer game and people just ran out of content and stopped playing, like they do with singleplayer games. And because it did nothing new.

GW2 emphasizes community, long term RvR, and has a few nice innovations to keep people going.

LoL, you dont even need a grp in GW2, not even talk. Is even more intanced and it feel more singleplayer than swtor. GW2 doesnt have long term RvR, endgame is all about grind karma and do dungeons like any other MMO before, and do thing that you can do at level 1, Also, gw2 have nothing new or innovative, DE  are a quest with a timer, nothing dynamic on them. And you dont have NPC with quest, you have NPC with a heart and guess what, A QUEST. Fanboys are amazing, at the end only them will be playing the game. 

The reason there isnt any need to form a physical group is down to the ingenuity of the game , where it recognises buffs and attacks as if the players were physically grouped , thats the beauty of the gameplay.

I felt really alone in SWTOR , i havent in this game from day 1, once you get piling into an event with a group of other players, they become your group.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Some are and some aren't. Kind of a mixed bag really. Not all the DEs are real unique or ingenious. Some are downright fucking tedious and repetitive.

Still, there are those that shine and if you complete the chain (assuming it is one that has one) are pretty cool.

Yeah but the ones that arent imo are very few.

Even ones where a group is killing loads of Cow like things (Doyak) for the meat to hand in is fun all the way, sounds bland in writing but playing it is totally different.

I find that particular one hilarious.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Define "lose people."  If I decide not to log in for 6 months am I technically "lost"?  If I buy the initial game and play for a month or if a play every day for a year, isn't that all the same for ArenaNet? 

All ArenaNet has to do to sustain their model is convince current players to be repeat buyers on the expansions.  Everything else is gravy.  It's a far more sustainable model than most subscription MMOs that have to convince (usually failing) people to stay subscribed past the first free month, and then every month after that.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

Originally posted by Korusus

Define "lose people."  If I decide not to log in for 6 months am I technically "lost"?  If I buy the initial game and play for a month or if a play every day for a year, isn't that all the same for ArenaNet? 

All ArenaNet has to do to sustain their model is convince current players to be repeat buyers on the expansions.  Everything else is gravy.  It's a far more sustainable model than most subscription MMOs that have to convince (usually failing) people to stay subscribed past the first free month.

Im sure there will be expansion type affairs for this in the pipeline.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Total bulls hit.

How adorable. Another person who hasnt even played the game and thinks they know what there is to do in it. I mean, theres not things like the Fire elemental, Frozen Maw event, etc. Just hunting bunnies and feeding cows.... that sthe entire zone.

BTW, whoever said they will add content every 9-12 months? Expansions perhaps, but if you actually knew what you were talking about you would know that Arenanet has stated that they will be adding in more and more Dynamic Events periodically to increase replayability and give people more stuff to do. I cant remember exactly which article / interview this was discussed in, I think it was one of the interviews with Colin.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

The reason there isnt any need to form a physical group is down to the ingenuity of the game , where it recognises buffs and attacks as if the players were physically grouped , thats the beauty of the gameplay.

I felt really alone in SWTOR , i havent in this game from day 1, once you get piling into an event with a group of other players, they become your group.

I didnt feel any more alone in TOR than I have in other MMOs.  Could have been that I was playing with friends a lot of the time.  But as someone said in another thread, it's easier to play these games with friends going in than having to make friends in the game a lot of times.

Although I like the mob experience DEs give, it doesn't really feel like a group.  It feels almost in-between playing with other players and npcs...everything just becomes so chaotic with the overflow of action and lack of chatter amongst people.  It's a neat feature, but I'm not sure it's going to be the final solution to the grouping issues prevalent in MMOs these days.

But the grouping/social decline in MMOs as of late I think has more to do with the genre itself going mainstream and  being less of a roleplayers' niche than really a design issue.

Still enjoying the game, but I'm sure in several months time there will be a good percentage of the community saying this game was "fail" or it lacked in other ways.  It's the over-hyping of these games that really turns the community sour.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

LoL, you dont even need a grp in GW2, not even talk. Is even more intanced and it feel more singleplayer than swtor. GW2 doesnt have long term RvR, endgame is all about grind karma and do dungeons like any other MMO before, and do thing that you can do at level 1, Also, gw2 have nothing new or innovative, DE  are a quest with a timer, nothing dynamic on them. And you dont have NPC with quest, you have NPC with a heart and guess what, A QUEST. Fanboys are amazing, at the end only them will be playing the game. 

And haters are predictable. Of course only fans of the game will be playing. Would you expect haters to make up the majority of the player base? Can you truly be that obtuse?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    I played swg back in the day (precu)...watched SWTOR since it was only a rumor....followed it through and played beta...bought the CE...and i can say GW2 may be a theme park...but I'm already having way more fun than i did in swtor.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

While I don't see GW2 sinking as fast as SW:TOR (no sub with GW2), it will struggle in the same areas that so many of the previous modern MMORPGs have.

GW2 is a really well put together game.  It lifted all the things that worked in WOW, Warhammer, Rift, etc., and put a spit shine polish on the product.  Well done ArenaNET

With that said....you're STILL running kill quests.  You're STILL running escort quests.  You're STILL running collect quests.  You're STILL getting chained along with quests, that serve as the primary vehicle improve your situation in the game.

For those that haven't played this kind of game for the last 7 years.....it's an amazing game, and should hold your interest for quite a while.  However, if you've been on the Linear progression MMO ride since the beginning of WOW.......the shiney wears off  rather quick.  The repetitiveness & same tired progression model smacks you in the face after only playing for a few days.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by RajCaj

While I don't see GW2 sinking as fast as SW:TOR (no sub with GW2), it will struggle in the same areas that so many of the previous modern MMORPGs have.

GW2 is a really well put together game.  It lifted all the things that worked in WOW, Warhammer, Rift, etc., and put a spit shine polish on the product.  Well done ArenaNET

With that said....you're STILL running kill quests.  You're STILL running escort quests.  You're STILL running collect quests.  You're STILL getting chained along with quests, that serve as the primary vehicle improve your situation in the game.

For those that haven't played this kind of game for the last 7 years.....it's an amazing game, and should hold your interest for quite a while.  However, if you've been on the Linear progression MMO ride since the beginning of WOW.......the shiney wears off  rather quick.  The repetitiveness & same tired progression model smacks you in the face after only playing for a few days.

yeah, a quest is a quest no matter how you put it. but instead of being boring like most MMOs do it, they have found an inovative way to make the same kill 20 creatures, bring this person here, collect 20 badges into an eventfull event. 

not only that. they have made it so you AUTOMATICALLY group up for those "Quests" so you are not soloing your game.

the proof that they are in your group, blow your horn (call of nature?) and see that EVERYONE around you doing the same quest will get the buff. 

so Anet has found 1) a way to make your Quests less tedious and more enjoyable 2) grouping with players that feels like you are in a group working with people, but at the same time not forcing you to interact with them (yeah figure out that logic but its true fact) and 3) a vast polished world with very good replayability in the PvP and the PvE world. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell
    Originally posted by RajCaj

yeah, a quest is a quest no matter how you put it. but instead of being boring like most MMOs do it, they have found an inovative way to make the same kill 20 creatures, bring this person here, collect 20 badges into an eventfull event. 

not only that. they have made it so you AUTOMATICALLY group up for those "Quests" so you are not soloing your game.

the proof that they are in your group, blow your horn (call of nature?) and see that EVERYONE around you doing the same quest will get the buff. 

so Anet has found 1) a way to make your Quests less tedious and more enjoyable 2) grouping with players that feels like you are in a group working with people, but at the same time not forcing you to interact with them (yeah figure out that logic but its true fact) and 3) a vast polished world with very good replayability in the PvP and the PvE world. 

I like youre #2 point and think its something a lot of people overlook about the game when theyre comparing it to stuff like WAR PQS. In WAR, You could form an entire Warband and go do a PQ. But guess what.... like 3/4 of your buffs, as well as your group heals only effect your particulary party. So youre groupe dup with 24 people, but really it only counts 6 of you as being together and your support skills only apply to them.

Examples:

Runepriest / Zealot buffs are only useable on party member, not even able to use on your warband

Guard only works on Party members, not Warband

Damage buffs from classe slike Sorc / BW only work on party, not wb

AP regen buffs from classes like shadow warrior and witch hunter only work on party, not warbands

In GW2 they allow you to use all this type of stuff to suppor tnot only your own party, but everyone in the area.