Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hit 80 today: Big turnoff on leveling alts in all the same level 25+ zones

The way I leveled was:

1) Do every heart, POI and vista in each region.

2) Farm every ore node I came across

3) Do almost every DE that popped up on my map. 

4) Did story quests when I hit the appropriate level

I tried WvWvW just once, I was turned off by the zerg nature and the low EXP.  I was later turned off by the long queues.  I also tried crafting but found it didn't get me very far and I ran out of mats pretty quick.  I skipped the dungeons because I didn't want to run instances and felt I shouldn't have to.

In order to reach the cap with that four step approach, I ended up having to go to almost every zone that was tagged between 30 and 75.  The problem is that when I roll an alt, I'm going to be rerunning a LOT of content.

My expectation is that it should be simple and wait free to run one zone for each of the following level ranges: 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80.  Doing so would allow my first alt to run the alternate versions of those zones.  And a second alt could fill in by going to zones like the 35-45, 55-65, 70-75 and 75-80 zones.

The only way I could see that happening using my leveling preference would be to have rerun and search for DE's after I completed the zone.  I feel that the zones were plenty large but that they didn't present me with enough EXP to be at the cap of the current zone.

I also felt that the EXP per story quest was far too low in many cases relative to the time spent. especially at higher levels.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps.. oh btw found WvW gave me a TON of XP not sure what your issues with XP was in there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps

Just going to guess that you will take your  time and actually enjoy the game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps

Just going to guess that you will take your  time and actually enjoy the game.

i do spend a lot of time helping my friends learn the game as many of them are new to MMOs so this does take a chunk of time but still even if i wasn't i doubt id be past 40 on a single character

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    IM having the opposite experience Im level 20 and just finished my first zone.   Been having a pretty good time so far.  Ive played the crap out of this game since launch, I just dont understand how people blow through content so quickly.
  • HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I'm at 65 right now, and I'm only at 35-40% world completion. I know there's a lot more zones out there that i skipped where I could run an alt through, but I know what you mean. I too feel like my map completion addiction will soon become the my new grind on all characters. Hopefully there's enough DE content that keeps it fresh for me. Also I wanna try leveling up a character strictly on wvw.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I have a lot of things coming up that will impact my playing time and I love leveling.  I also get totally focused on leveling, but just because I put my hours in now and didn't spread them out over a month, that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.

Regardless of when I put my hours in.  There is an issue with each zone after 25 not really giving enough EXP by the time you complete it.  I shouldn't have to run both 30-40 zones to reach level 40.  I didn't skip or avoid anything while in them.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

My alt is level 14, and I haven't left the 1 - 15 area other than a quick trip to LA. I completed Divinity's and LA and approximately 60% of content in the 1 - 15 area. Mind you, I'm just enjoying the game and not using the  "make the best value out of my subscription" mentality, so maybe it's just more suited to me.  I also had a couple hour run in WvW at level 12 which netted me 1 levels xp.

My main is a 27 and has completed  2x  1-15 areas, and 1x  15 - 25 area  but I think I rushed that character a bit too. 

I don't doubt that if you've pushed max level, you're missing out on ALOT of the content. It's a shame if you ask me.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't doubt that if you've pushed max level, you're missing out on ALOT of the content. It's a shame if you ask me.

The point is to see them on alts.  Not to shoot my wad on the first character.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I have a lot of things coming up that will impact my playing time and I love leveling.  I also get totally focused on leveling, but just because I put my hours in now and didn't spread them out over a month, that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.

Regardless of when I put my hours in.  There is an issue with each zone after 25 not really giving enough EXP by the time you complete it.  I shouldn't have to run both 30-40 zones and both 40-50 zones, ...

with the amount of XP crafting and PVP gives it seems the curve of XP for the zones was designed with this is mind.. granted not everyone wants to do crafting or pvp but just seems like thats how it goes.. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'm levelling a lot slower than some, maybe because I'm a whole lot less methodical than that.  I wander around, hardly complete any of the areas, and basically just do whatever I feel like doing.  Guess I've already repeated a lot of the lower level content numerous times, but not really worried about repeating content.  The way I'm playing it, it's just a massive world to run around in, rather than a railed linear path to be repeated.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40

The way I leveled was:

I tried WvWvW just once, I was turned off by the zerg nature and the low EXP.  I was later turned off by the long queues.  I also tried crafting but found it didn't get me very far and I ran out of mats pretty quick.  I skipped the dungeons because I didn't want to run instances and felt I shouldn't have to.

In order to reach the cap with that four step approach, I ended up having to go to almost every zone that was tagged between 30 and 75.  The problem is that when I roll an alt, I'm going to be rerunning a LOT of content.

My expectation is that it should be simple and wait free to run one zone for each of the following level ranges: 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80.  Doing so would allow my first alt to run the alternate versions of those zones.  And a second alt could fill in by going to zones like the 35-45, 55-65, 70-75 and 75-80 zones.

The only way I could see that happening using my leveling preference would be to have rerun and search for DE's after I completed the zone.  I feel that the zones were plenty large but that they didn't present me with enough EXP to be at the cap of the current zone.

I also felt that the EXP per story quest was far too low in many cases relative to the time spent. especially at higher levels.

see the green highlighted part ? how does that equate to "skipping" game content ? i love how you make out likt the OP rushded through the game somehow magically  , its quite obvious he enjoyed the PVE content to almost completion in all zones..... gotta laugh at some of the fanboi's responses

Vanilla WOW wasn't the most fun leveling experience, but I think they got it right in the fact that your first character could easily level off of the zones in one continent and see the other continent on an alt.  That should be the standard.  

GW2 has the zones, just not enough content or EXP in them without grinding DEs.  The goal should be to provide choice and options on where to go when leveling.

Originally posted by Medicated03

The way I leveled was:

see the green highlighted part ? how does that equate to "skipping" game content ? i love how you make out likt the OP rushded through the game somehow magically  , its quite obvious he enjoyed the PVE content to almost completion in all zones..... gotta laugh at some of the fanboi's responses

TYVM for backing me up.  My approach seems very reasonable and my expectations aren't unreasonable in my mind.

I loved leveling, I just hated seeing so much content on one character.  It leaves less to experience for the first time on my other characters.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I think one of the issues is that youre doing the DEs that pop up on your map. There are a lot more DEs than that, and I think a lot of people dont realize it. When youre running around and random NPCs start shotuing at yout hings like "Hey you, come over here" or "Need some help over here", etc. They actually do need some help. Talking to them usually triggers DEs that dont spawn automatically, and unless you keep an eye out for them and interact with them, youll never even know theres a DE to do there because it doesnt show anything on your map.

I was making the same mistake at 1st. I was just watching my map for DEs, and kind of ignored the NPCs shouting at me as I ran by, treating it like normal NPC bullshit like in most games. I only recently started paying attention to them and have uncovered a lot of DEs that I hadnt run into before.

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

you do know that 30-40.40-50 are suggested level not the amount of levels you can get in the area right?

anyways  im level 80 and had no problem leveling. never had to grind never did crafting. beside the few dragons i killed a few times over but good loot was got for those.

not a fanboy, the game isnt perfect but i didnt have any issue with the exp. everything after 40 i flet gave too much exp and i leveled faster 40-80 then i did 1-40

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Well so far I've been taking my time levelling. And because I haven't ignored crafting & dungeons, I've severly out-levelled the personal story and the zones I play in, as I am a level 52 Sylvari on my level 40 personal story mission. Crafting gives a ton of XP (I've gained at least 5 levels from cooking alone and dungeons give about half a level per run (no matter what level you are and what dungeon you do). ArenaNet have factored in those kinds of XP gains, which is probably why a lot of people who blaze through the game, whilst ignoring multiple avenues of XP gain, find themselves running out of content.

Originally posted by Vhaln

I'm levelling a lot slower than some, maybe because I'm a whole lot less methodical than that.  I wander around, hardly complete any of the areas, and basically just do whatever I feel like doing.  Guess I've already repeated a lot of the lower level content numerous times, but not really worried about repeating content.  The way I'm playing it, it's just a massive world to run around in, rather than a railed linear path to be repeated.

same exact way I'm playing.. hardly even notice my XP bar till i see i ding a level

Originally posted by kaiser3282

I think one of the issues is that youre doing the DEs that pop up on your map. There are a lot more DEs than that, and I think a lot of people dont realize it. When youre running around and random NPCs start shotuing at yout hings like "Hey you, come over here" or "Need some help over here", etc. They actually do need some help. Talking to them usually triggers DEs that dont spawn automatically, and unless you keep an eye out for them and interact with them, youll never even know theres a DE to do there because it doesnt show anything on your map.

I was making the same mistake at 1st. I was just watching my map for DEs, and kind of ignored the NPCs shouting at me as I ran by, treating it like normal NPC bullshit like in most games. I only recently started paying attention to them and have uncovered a lot of DEs that I hadnt run into before.

noticed this as well my buddy is in his 30s and was in a zone said something along the lines of "damn not as many DE's in this zone" I asked him if he had explored around and talked to npc's to try and start DE's himself.. his repsonse "you can start DE's yourself?"

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I see your point, but some people treat content differently.  When Im doing DE's I dont just do them until the quest is updated then  move on.  I will sometime spend an hour or more in one place in a zone, farming mobs to learn their loot tables etc.  But thats just my play style.

edit : I actually create spreadsheets on all the mobs that show all the mats they drop etc, so some may see it as grinding but to me its all about the discovery of things.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    *snip*

noticed this as well my buddy is in his 30s and was in a zone said something along the lines of "damn not as many DE's in this zone" I asked him if he had explored around and talked to npc's to try and start DE's himself.. his repsonse "you can start DE's yourself?"

That's something I really like about the game. That I can be on my way to the next stage in my personal story and randomly hear an NPC talking/yelling about his/her plight. Most of the time I click on them and get a notification of a DE I would have missed if I simply ignored the NPC as ambient noise. So many times have these NPCs distracted more for upto an hour, from my personal story.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Medicated03

The way I leveled was:

TYVM for backing me up.  My approach seems very reasonable and my expectations aren't unreasonable in my mind.

I loved leveling, I just hated seeing so much content on one character.  It leaves less to experience for the first time on my other characters.

This concerns me as well for replayability.  It seems that everyone (the fanboys) expects you to be a completionist to "play properly", but that goes against the premise of ANet stating that the game is meant for many playstyles.  I like to explore, but I will be damned if I have to go everywhere and do everything.  Yet, from what I hear on Guru, it is what the fanboys expect players to do when a newly-arrived-at-80 says "what now".  It worries me that there isn't enough meat on GW2's bones yet.

My other concern is for WvW.  I'm an ex-DAoC player, and when you went out to RvR you had fun PLUS you earned RP's to build your character in an alternate way.  Now, I fully understand why ANet didn't copy that system because they wanted people to be able to jump in even at level 1 and not have to compete against a RR10 opponent.  However, from what I've read and hear from the players, it is a great deal of fun, but its kind of a hollow experience due to lack of satisfaction in the form of rewards.  Its like RvR-lite, if I am reading the commentary correctly.

Personally, I am waiting out the first month to let the launch chaos settle.  This also gives me a reasonable time to see how the game pans out now that people get to experience the full game, rather than a few hours here and there of select content.  I am hearing a lot of very mixed info, but I think some of the truer feedback is starting to come in.  Overall, I'm concerned that maybe its not all that, and isn't something that will hold someone's interest for more than a month or two.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

OK, and by all means, you can play the game how ever you want. I just haven't rushed at all with my second character and I'm finding that I am outleveling things.  I think it's a shame that I pushed my first character as fast as I did too, so I wasn't intending on being critical about you.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I think everyone is missing a very important point in this thread. One that no one is making directly.

Is that the games allows and supports all versions of play styles.

>Want to chew thru content and hit max level; this game is perferct for it.

>Want to level thru WvW; You can do that too, since all your pvp weapons and armor can be purchased by pvping.

>Want to level thru crafting; 100% viable. You'll level just fine gathering mats and discovering recipes.

>Want to level thru grinding mobs; There is enough variety to do just that. And you can still get decent loot drops.

>How about leveling thru dynamic events; Id say most people are doing it this way. And Im already seeing different scenerios for the same events. Very repeatable, and fun.

> How about leveling thru just exploration; Maybe not so much, but if you inclued Points of Intrest, Vistas, and hidden puzzles, you do get some very good experience. And its a big world, there is a bunch to see.

>How about leveling thru a combination of them all; Best way to do it in my opinion. Leaves a lot of variety for replayability.

This is truely a well balanced game. One that caters to all types of play styles.

And for me personally since it isnt focused on gear based end game raiding (or gear based laddered pvp) its a game that I can see myself enjoying for a long time to come.

And just so you know I dont think that GW2 shouldnt have end game raiding or laddered pvp, it should be part of Arenanets total package. But it shouldnt be the "be all, end all" of game playing and development focus like the current MMO titles that we have to choose from.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Lvling is so fast lol. I'm lvl46 in a lvl25-40 area and I'm positive that I will be 50 before I leave there. But then I don't focus on lvling , I just play the game , really eager to find and join events and complete maps. I also do WvW (at the moment less because my lvling speed is already ridiculously fast) and I craft a little if I happen to find new trophies that allow me to find new recipes.

But then I always find random ppl to group with if my guildies are not online, which makes me stay in areas even longer because often they want help to complete skill challenges etc.

I havent even visited all starting cities or areas below my lvl yet. My current 25-50 area is the first Norn one I see. I havent seen any Sylvari area yet. So its a mystery to me how ppl think that lvling is too slow.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I can kind of agree with with what the OP is saying.  I'm only lvl 14, and I completed the 1-15 sylvari starting area before I hit 13; that's with doing a lot of W v W, harvesting, and a bit of crafting.

However, if I want to craft I'm going to have to farm some mobs.  Just doing the content in the zone isn't leading to enough materials to really get into crafting.  I can also hop over to the Asura starting area and do some exploration in there if I want.

I could see it being a little tiresome running the same content with an alt, but honestly it's like that in pretty much every MMO I've played.  If I can level 4 guys to the level cap in Rfit, doing the same exact content 4 times, I won't have any trouble doing in in GW2 which I find to be a much more enjoyable PvE experience.

I also think it's a little unreasonable to expect a just released MMO to have enough content that you could run multiple alts and not experience the same content you already did.  No MMO actually provides that much content, not even after several years worth of updates.