Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think Sandboxes cannot have Themeparks in them?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

SWG Pre CU did, infact they were called Themeparks and they acted out as little quest hubs you did for a badge mainly. It's a bit like the real world where you have your sandbox, can do whatever you like in it and then you go to a Themepark for some fun. The only reason why people overlook this is because the content in SWG was poorly made, rushed and wasn't fun. It did have the right ideas however, sadly they get overlooked and because these themeparks were dotted all around the world with no levels you could do them at any time. This would always end up with new and old players doing this content at the same time because it's when they chose to do it and not when their level did through a linear world. 

Themepark MMOs become top heavy and dead, this is why the solo MMO has come about to try and fix this. Why hasn't the genre gone in the logical direction of non linear content?  It seems like a much better fix where no parts of the world die and you can always get a group. There is one MMO that still exists like this today and it's called EVE Online and every part of it's world is still populated. SWTOR could even learn a bit from freedom, instead of making them horrible Fleet Stations which turned the game into PSO, they coulda let the community decide on their hub like how Jita is in EVE. 

People always look at old sandbox games and think "it means no content" and I think the reason they had no content is because not even themepark MMOs did back before WoW when these sandbox games came out. WoW was really the first MMO to come out where you levelled from 1 - 60 on quests alone. It also set the bar on what people thought of as a dungeon from The Dead Mines. Usually at level 20 you'd get a room with 3 mobs standing in it at that time, then WoW gave you like an end level experience at 20 lol. 

I'd really love for developers to realise an MMO is a virtual world and to make one, instead of a linear level. You can make a non linear world with linear story experiences in them as the shape pf themeparks. The real world is like that and it works, so it'll work in games too...

Comments

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

That already exist.

Same for the people asking for "sandparks"

It's called oldschool themeparks, like EQ, DAoC, Lineage 1 & Lineage 2.

You have a lot of freedom and player made content in those games, less than in sandboxes, of course, but still MUCH MUCH more than todays themeparks.

ArcheAge is basically doing that, it's an oldschool themepark, but in this age of dumbed down casual MMOs, it's considered a sandbox... sad.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

And I would actually like to see a game like that again. I haven't kept up with it much, but hopefully Archeage will be good.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I want to say that Darkfall is a Sandbox in a themepark world.

But cant quite get there yet with words.

The FFA Full Loot ruins it.

Imagine Rift and WoW, but with:

*NO LEVELS!!!!!

*BOTH CLASS AND SKILL PROGRESSIONS TOGETHER (hybrid of class system and skill system)

*LAND MASS GIANT SEPARATE AND FULLY DEDICATED TO LAND SCAPING AND BUILDING ON THE LAND (think Minecraft but next gen and massively multiplayer)

*FACTION PVP FLAGGING (Think traditional WoW/Rift/DAoC/GW2/PS2 faction ruleset for PvP and territory and resource control.Cant attack ally faction members. Cant switch factions. cant make toons from other factions on same server)

*NO MORE QUEST AS A DOMINANT MEANS OF PROGRESSION!! ( think GW2 here. Quest can be there for things liek story/class/race ect, but not dominant)

but iam tired of going on with this topic. its been done many times before. in one eye and out the other!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

After playing Dayz which is the best MMO today even though it isn't an MMO this just improves any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FA6AsJ4lHs

If only you could do that in an MMO.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by kol56

That already exist.Same for the people asking for "sandparks"It's called oldschool themeparks, like EQ, DAoC, Lineage 1 & Lineage 2.You have a lot of freedom and player made content in those games, less than in sandboxes, of course, but still MUCH MUCH more than todays themeparks. ArcheAge is basically doing that, it's an oldschool themepark, but in this age of dumbed down casual MMOs, it's considered a sandbox... sad.

Vanguard fits the bill,like AA it's a hybrid MMO.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Who said that couldn't?  I've been advocating "sandpark" hybrids for a long time now as a way to add depth and more social features to themeparks that are starting to bore people to death.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

That already exist.

You have a lot of freedom and player made content in those games, less than in sandboxes, of course, but still MUCH MUCH more than todays themeparks.

ArcheAge is basically doing that, it's an oldschool themepark, but in this age of dumbed down casual MMOs, it's considered a sandbox... sad.

Themeboxes are way better than Sandparks!!!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

After playing Dayz which is the best MMO today even though it isn't an MMO this just improves any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FA6AsJ4lHs

If only you could do that in an MMO.

DayZ rocks.  They need to make the zombies more of an issue IMO.  It's just PvP with the zombies serving as noob killers.

Love the concept and I can't wait to see what it's like as a dedicated game.  Best "MMO" on the market currently.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Psychow

That already exist.

Themeboxes are way better than Sandparks!!!

No way!

Theme before box? clearly the best part should be first

Plus, it's sound like a themepark in a box, even worse than what we have now!

And the sand? WHERE IS THE SAND??!!1?!

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• NemajnebNemajneb Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by tixylix

SWG Pre CU did, infact they were called Themeparks and they acted out as little quest hubs you did for a badge mainly. It's a bit like the real world where you have your sandbox, can do whatever you like in it and then you go to a Themepark for some fun. The only reason why people overlook this is because the content in SWG was poorly made, rushed and wasn't fun. It did have the right ideas however, sadly they get overlooked and because these themeparks were dotted all around the world with no levels you could do them at any time. This would always end up with new and old players doing this content at the same time because it's when they chose to do it and not when their level did through a linear world. 

Themepark MMOs become top heavy and dead, this is why the solo MMO has come about to try and fix this. Why hasn't the genre gone in the logical direction of non linear content?  It seems like a much better fix where no parts of the world die and you can always get a group. There is one MMO that still exists like this today and it's called EVE Online and every part of it's world is still populated. SWTOR could even learn a bit from freedom, instead of making them horrible Fleet Stations which turned the game into PSO, they coulda let the community decide on their hub like how Jita is in EVE. 

People always look at old sandbox games and think "it means no content" and I think the reason they had no content is because not even themepark MMOs did back before WoW when these sandbox games came out. WoW was really the first MMO to come out where you levelled from 1 - 60 on quests alone. It also set the bar on what people thought of as a dungeon from The Dead Mines. Usually at level 20 you'd get a room with 3 mobs standing in it at that time, then WoW gave you like an end level experience at 20 lol. 

I'd really love for developers to realise an MMO is a virtual world and to make one, instead of a linear level. You can make a non linear world with linear story experiences in them as the shape pf themeparks. The real world is like that and it works, so it'll work in games too...

A pure sandbox would not have any themepark elements.  I know most call SWG a pure sandbox, as do I because for the most part it was...but the themepark hubs made it so it wasn't a total sandbox. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Nemajneb

A pure sandbox would not have any themepark elements.  I know most call SWG a pure sandbox, as do I because for the most part it was...but the themepark hubs made it so it wasn't a total sandbox. 

Pure, man. Totally uncut SWG. Some devs mix in a little themepark to pad it out and give you a nice numbing effect, but this SWG stuff is ... ma-a-a--a-an... this is a the good sh!t here. You'd have to mainline Second Life during a Goon invasion to top SWG, man.

Pure sandbox, yo.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Nemajneb

Pure, man. Totally uncut SWG. Some devs mix in a little themepark to pad it out and give you a nice numbing effect, but this SWG stuff is ... ma-a-a--a-an... this is a the good sh!t here. You'd have to mainline Second Life during a Goon invasion to top SWG, man.

Pure sandbox, yo.

UO was a hybrid, it had quests. !1!!

Pass the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNtlQm3z4E... i mean pass the controller bro.

-Seinfeld

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

Because the majority of people that scream out about how bad old MMOs were, or how bad sandboxes are, or how every game needs instances or should be just like WoW....

are morons who have never played a non WoW clone MMO, and are only making gross generalizations and guesses at what they were like. "No MMO can work without instances dur dum de derp".

Originally posted by Tibernicus

Because the majority of people that scream out about how bad old MMOs were, or how bad sandboxes are, or how every game needs instances or should be just like WoW....

are morons who have never played a non WoW clone MMO, and are only making gross generalizations and guesses at what they were like. "No MMO can work without instances dur dum de derp".

First time that i agree with you.

It's simple, really, WOW attracted a lot of non mmorpg players.

Now, all mmos are made for those people.

People that never really wanted to play MMOs in the first place.

-Seinfeld