Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rangers: rez your pets or don't bring them into battle in the first place

roscorosco Member Posts: 51

How many time did it happen to you ? In the middle of a big battle (PvE or WvW) you see a rez icon in front of you, and as you start to rez your teammate, you notice that the guy is actually an animal.

1) I won't lose my time rezzing a pet when even it's master doesn't find it valuable to rez it himself. Is a pet so crappy that you can play with or without it in the same way ?

2) This pet death icon should be different than the player death icon. they are just too different in value. I will rez anyone, anytime, ASAP, but not a pet. I don't even want to lose time trying to discernate if it's a player or an animal.

3) This costs me money and loot too, because I cannot spam the loot key whenever I want in a big fight, since a roaming ranger will sometimes bring it's "rez target" into your action zone, stopping your loot since you might be trapped in a useless rez animation while you just wanted to loot the zone. So you just stop looting for a time, and yes, you forget stuff on the floor.

We don't need to see a dead pet on the minimap either.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by rosco

2) This pet death icon should be different than the player death icon. they are just too different in value. I will rez anyone, anytime, ASAP, but not a pet. I don't even want to lose time trying to discernate if it's a player or an animal.

i agree

ideally,  give players an option to toggle OFF pet rezzing

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Option to disable or diff icon it would be ok ..

but for the rest .. it's my pet If I don't want to rez it until after the fight and I have looted then I'm not going to 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

So, you'd rather Rangers waste time rezzing the pet and, especially in WvW or sPvP, possibly lose a battle due to that? It takes a while to rez them you know...

The problem here is that ANet put everything on the same button. It's convenient for standard PvE but not for anything else. A seperate button for pets or an option to disable pet rezzing with that button is what is needed.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Wish there was a way to set looting to another key rather than the action key.

Trying to loot in some events when there are dead NPCs or pets around is irritating.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I'm not going to rez my pet in the middle of a fight, it's dangerous and I can spend my time better.

The ball is in Arenanet's court not the Ranger players, they should do something about it if it is a problem.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

I am a ranger and never rez my pets. if one dies then i just switch to the other one. sometimes i have to wait a little bit for the cool down,  which is not that much longer then how long it takes to rez.

Anyways maybe you should try and pay more attention to whats going on.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Agreed partly but isn't the pet icon already different (players blue, pets white, same as NPC's)? Anyway, I find it most annoying because in a hectic fight it is often to much work to target the person who is down and ending up rezzing a pet (who die way to fast) or a NPC just makes no sense.

As to the value of pets. They have some value but not a lot in a big fight. Their main problem is that they are very very very weak, especially since most Events are above level, one hit and they are down.

You can have two active pets and switch them in combat, so first pet goes down, call a second but this option is not known by everyone and even then, that just means you got two one-hit wonders. Storing your pet is possible but lets face it, most ranchers are hunters and complex actions are not their strong point.

On the other hand, some pets make highly decent tanks or add buffs or debuffs that significantly help a fight. Also, some ranchers have very useful support skills equipped and might be to busy trying to keep everyone alive to rez their pet. Maybe the OP has to lay of his insane DPS and consider what is best for the team? He starts of with a legit issue but as his rant continues it seems he is just upset he can't just spam loot (what is he afraid off, that loot disappears during an event if he waits until after the fight). It won't cost him money or loot.

And "your" action zone? Why exactly is the OP playing a MMO? He seems much more suited to a single player game.

MMO players don't owe you happiness, they are free to play their own way, even if it gets on your nerves. I for instance would vote for the death penalty for all bunny hoppers. Perfectly reasonable in my view but alas, game companies so far seem reluctant to implement death over IP.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    It's even worse when you do try to rez your pet mid fight and accidently click on a player .. I mean come on stop dying .. it cost's me money and time :p

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

While we are talking pets. I often have it on non attack mode. And use it when I'm in trouble. I also often call it back to me when it seems to not be doing so good.

I forgot you can call your second pet when the first one goes down.. I might want to change tactics now.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Pets kinda suck
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    I could have sworn the icon for the pet was grey while a players is blue. Maybe I am mistaken. The only time it annoys me is when I am trying to go for the kill in pvp via banner, when there is a dead pet there and it selects the revive instead.
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

How many time did it happen to you ? In the middle of a big battle (PvE or WvW) you see a rez icon in front of you, and as you start to rez your teammate, you notice that the guy is actually an animal.

1) I won't lose my time rezzing a pet when even it's master doesn't find it valuable to rez it himself. Is a pet so crappy that you can play with or without it in the same way ?

3) This costs me money and loot too, because I cannot spam the loot key whenever I want in a big fight, since a roaming ranger will sometimes bring it's "rez target" into your action zone, stopping your loot since you might be trapped in a useless rez animation while you just wanted to loot the zone. So you just stop looting for a time, and yes, you forget stuff on the floor.

I agree, but actually, rangers should NOT rez their pets. They should SWAP them.

I play a ranger predominantly. When I notice my pet's health getting low I EITHER F3 to recall it or F4 to swap it for a fresh pet. That new pet usually lasts long enough for the cooldown so when it is getting low, I swap it for the original.

Proper pet management is the key.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Requiem1066
    It's even worse when you do try to rez your pet mid fight and accidently click on a player .. I mean come on stop dying .. it cost's me money and time :p

QFT. Funny thing is, the dude is probably one of those that starts raging if people wont res him because theyre busy looting and killing other stuff.

Its pretty clear some people here havent played a ranger and dont know that aside rom how easily they die sometimes, theyre very useful for buffs and debuffs if the ranger controls his pet properly.

As for stowing your pet. You cant in fights. It automatically appears as soon as you go into combat mode, even from taking fall damage. Its just a cosmetic thing to put it away.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I'd bet money that my pet out damages players. Rezzing it is not a waste, I can assure you that :) .

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"Rangers: rez your pets or don't bring them into battle in the first place"

Ragers: learn the difference between blue and white or stay off my battlefield.

How many time did it happen to you ? In the middle of a big battle (PvE or WvW) you see a rez icon in front of you, and some noob is rezzing some ranger's pet instead of a player?

1) I won't lose my time rezzing you after you wasted combat time kneeling over a dead cat.

2) This pet death icon is different than the player death icon. they are different in value. I will rez anyone, anytime, ASAP, but not some dude that is so oblivious that he's just running in circles loot/rezz-spamming the F key.

3) This costs me money and loot too, because you're dropping the team's dps and support the entire time you're genuflecting over some ranger's hot pink moa that, honestly, the ranger possibly wanted dead anyway.

We don't need to see you on the minimap either.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Eh, pets rez really fast compared to people, so I haven't found this to be an issue.
  • NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

I suggest you help whenever there is need to rez. Having two people rez a pet gets the ranger back into the fight much faster, and minimizes the risk of him getting hit by some area of effect while he doing it on his own.

The game usually benefits from cooperative actions, - and I think you should encourage that in yourself, even if your time is valuable and 2 or 3 seconds to help rez is alot to ask of anyone. No really.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

yeah you should help with pet rez's because that Ranger isnt doing dps AT ALL when its rezing their pet and  for every additonal person helping to rez reduce the time it takes to get that pet and that ranger back in the action.

ranger alone rezing pet 20secs

ranger + someone else rezing pet 10secs

ranger+2 more reing =5secs..

same goes for rezing any ally.

worry about looting when everything is dead..itll still be there

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    It really aggitates me when I try to res a player but I end up starting to rez a friggin pet because of the close proximity .  I wish there was an option to filter out pets.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Pets kinda suck

And any ranger that ignores their downed pet is a poor ranger.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Pets die too fast in this game.. same with NPCs too.  They need to last more than 15 seconds before they die. >.>
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Pets kinda suck

And any ranger that ignores their downed pet is a poor ranger.

I think the problem is the time to res your pet. As someone els ementioned, the time spent ressing your pet is time spent not killing stuff. With being able to switch pets after your 1st one dies, it usually seems more effective to just keep attacking away and wait for the cooldown to switch again than it is to completely stop fighting in order to res your pet.

They really need to take a better look at the pets and either boost their survivability a little bit, decrease the cooldown on swapping pets, or increase the res speed of pets. Not saying it needs to be a huge change, but just enough to where either a) its more worth it to stop and res your pet or b) pet ressing isnt an issue because you can swap faster

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    In my experience, pets work similarly to how pets have always worked in more traditional MMORPGs, but that doesn't quite fit GW2's combat system.  This means that pets can die in seconds unless you micromanage them, which can be a real PITA in an intense fight.  I don't really think it's the rangers' fault for there being so many dead pets in a battle.  Rather, Anet needs to figure out how to make pets work with their combat system.
  • UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88

well said

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    In my experience, pets work similarly to how pets have always worked in more traditional MMORPGs, but that doesn't quite fit GW2's combat system.  This means that pets can die in seconds unless you micromanage them, which can be a real PITA in an intense fight.  I don't really think it's the rangers' fault for there being so many dead pets in a battle.  Rather, Anet needs to figure out how to make pets work with their combat system.

Maybe pets need to go defensive and return to their masters side at say 25% health. As it is now they just stay in and die with no self preservation. I hear the my pet needs help message but by then the next hit is death and even if I get my heal off its no sure thing my pet gets healed.