Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: PAX Prime Highlights

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Pokket had the chance to attend last weekend's PAX Prime in Seattle and has some highlights of her adventures there to share. Keep reading and then share your thoughts in the comments.

I think it goes without saying that the Firefall booth was definitely one that was hard to miss. Last year it was their extreme amount of banner placement, but this time around it was their ginormous booth, amazing statue, and of course their paid cosplayers. Every time I had to go through that hall to get to the other, I had to walk through their booth. I will admit they definitely made a smart placement decision.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: PAX Prime Highlights.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Love FireFall= those arent firefall peeps !...wtf are they. nevermind, dont care.

<.<

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

Pokket,

Usually I find your stuff entertaining.  Lately, however, I'm getting distracted by a word you repeat over and over.  It reminds me of the line from The Princess Bride; "You use that word a lot.  I do not think it means what you think it means."  Its also starting to make me wonder about your objectivity when it comes to your reviews.

I'm not a hater and I'm no English teacher, but you've used the word "amazing" enough.  It seems like you use that word to describe everything.  While you did throw in an "astounding" for spice, after reading your article all I got was everything at PAX was "amazing".  In the end your use of "amazing" distracted me from the theme of  your article and I simply started counting the number of times you wrote "amazing".  "Amazing" is on the verge of becoming your catch phrase.  It has become like that Seinfeld episode where the doctor describes everything as "Breathtaking". 

In the future please try to use an "astonishing" or an "impressive" or an "electrifying" or an "extraordinary" or an "absorbing" or an "arresting" or an "exciting".  A quick flip through the thesaurus (that's not a type of dinosaur, kids) would make your writing much more "engrossing".

Glad you had an amazing time at PAX.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Tanemund

Pokket,

Usually I find your stuff entertaining.  Lately, however, I'm getting distracted by a word you repeat over and over.  It reminds me of the line from The Princess Bride; "You use that word a lot.  I do not think it means what you think it means."  Its also starting to make me wonder about your objectivity when it comes to your reviews.

I'm not a hater and I'm no English teacher, but you've used the word "amazing" enough.  It seems like you use that word to describe everything.  While you did throw in an "astounding" for spice, after reading your article all I got was everything at PAX was "amazing".  In the end your use of "amazing" distracted me from the theme of  your article and I simply started counting the number of times you wrote "amazing".  "Amazing" is on the verge of becoming your catch phrase.  It has become like that Seinfeld episode where the doctor describes everything as "Breathtaking". 

In the future please try to use an "astonishing" or an "impressive" or an "electrifying" or an "extraordinary" or an "absorbing" or an "arresting" or an "exciting".  A quick flip through the thesaurus (that's not a type of dinosaur, kids) would make your writing much more "engrossing".

To be fair to Pokket, it's my fault for not replacing those. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I'm still hoping for a video of PAX Pokket impressions with enough hand motions to cast an epic spell upon the world. It's just not as amazing to read about it in an article. (Did I use it right?)

• CyclesMcMipsCyclesMcMips Member Posts: 4
    Nice Photo

• zahir123zahir123 Member Posts: 21

whats wrong with the word "Amazing", I find it funny even.

Originally posted by zahir123

I think the grammar police are just getting bored of the spelling and punctuation QQing. I'm impressed that one word can trigger a 3 paragraph complaint though. I need to use amazing more often.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by IrishChai

I think the grammar police are just getting bored of the spelling and punctuation QQing. I'm impressed that one word can trigger a 3 paragraph complaint though. I need to use amazing more often.

The man has a point, If everything is "Amazing" How do you describe something that really does stand out from the crowd?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Pokket,

putting a planetside 2 picture while talking about firefall is weird but still the picture looks awesome 

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

My comment generated more responses than the article?  Now THAT is amazing.

I'm not the grammar police (I think I would be more properly classed as the "vocabulary police") and I regularly check out Pokket's reviews because I think on the whole she does a good job and reviews things like a gamer instead of a developer or designer.  I just thought I'd point out that reusing a word like "amazing" becomes distracting.  That's a shame because, as I said before, I think Pokket does good work.

I didn't question anyone's ancestrory or imply they were stupid.  I just offered some  constructive criticism, but I guess in today's society anyone who doesn't think something is perfect is just a "hater".

In any event we know who the real culprit is anway, right Bill?

Thank you to everyone for helping me make the point though.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by IrishChai

The man has a point, If everything is "Amazing" How do you describe something that really does stand out from the crowd?

Legen... wait for it... dary :D

My comment generated more responses than the article?  Now THAT is amazing.

I'm not the grammar police (I think I would be more properly classed as the "vocabulary police") and I regularly check out Pokket's reviews because I think on the whole she does a good job and reviews things like a gamer instead of a developer or designer.  I just thought I'd point out that reusing a word like "amazing" becomes distracting.  That's a shame because, as I said before, I think Pokket does good work.

I didn't question anyone's ancestrory or imply they were stupid.  I just offered some  constructive criticism, but I guess in today's society anyone who doesn't think something is perfect is just a "hater".

In any event we know who the real culprit is anway, right Bill?

Thank you to everyone for helping me make the point though.

Where did you get all that from? lol People get so serious here sometimes.

edit: .. and it's spelled 'ancestry', while we're on the topic of constructive criticism. :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Pokket,

next raid wipe I'm going to yell out it's all Bill's fault XDXDXDXD

It was funny back when WoW first came out, everyone always said, "It's the mage's fault" no matter what it was.
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Pokket,

It was funny back when WoW first came out, everyone always said, "It's the mage's fault" no matter what it was.

Ooh I gotta use that too. lol A new internet meme is born.

• Tonyg1717Tonyg1717 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, What was at Pax? Elaborate for those of us who miss this every other year or so?

City of Heroes
    Electropriest - Infiniti
    Dagan Nemens - Champion
    Cave Elf - Champion
    Dr Who - Triumph

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Pokket,

Talk to the hand, because the Pokket's not listening ;-)