Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am SICK and TIRED of the "more difficult" crowd

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

In my opinion it is questionable how you can be the "hero" (I hate to use terms like that when talking about games but I mean it purely within the context of games) in a massively multiplayer online game when you simply do a quest/quest line every other Tom, Dick and Harry has done over 9000 times before.

We are talking about games here ... everything is an illusion. There is no real "hero".

But after you kill the lich king, there *is* a scripted event calling you the hero, right? An ilussion, no doubt, but still you *are* the hero of the land.

There is no difference in single player game. I am master chief in Halo and it does not matter millions and millions other have done the same. Entertainment is all about illusion anyway.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

In my opinion it is questionable how you can be the "hero" (I hate to use terms like that when talking about games but I mean it purely within the context of games) in a massively multiplayer online game when you simply do a quest/quest line every other Tom, Dick and Harry has done over 9000 times before.

We are talking about games here ... everything is an illusion. There is no real "hero".

But after you kill the lich king, there *is* a scripted event calling you the hero, right? An ilussion, no doubt, but still you *are* the hero of the land.

There is no difference in single player game. I am master chief in Halo and it does not matter millions and millions other have done the same. Entertainment is all about illusion anyway.

I mentioned the fact that I was talking purely within the context of games.

Within a single player, highly scripted game, you are the only protagonist to kill the bad guy and get the girl. Others may be playing the same game, but they are not coexisting within your game world. Within the context of an mmo that is clearly not the case.

A level one story may have an npc call you a "hero", or you could RP a hero to your hearts content. As soon as you step outside of your instance/bubble though, every other fecker is in the same "legendary" gear, with the same titles having killed the same boss, you are part of the crowd.

An mmo though does allow for stand out players within the game world, those are the players who are noted by the community for the reasons mentioned before. People who turn the tide of WvWvW due to their leadership, those helping numerous players to explore the wilds and giving out advice. Those who are noted as infamous pkers etc. Those are the players who come as close to the approximation of "heros" and "villains" within the contect of mmo games. That's the beauty of mmo games above single player games, there are no "real heros" but there are real, stand out players who influence the community of the games they are within.

Ofc is you view mmos as being able to offer nothing more than a single player experience with a chat tab and no longevity value above a couple of months, then you kill all of that (and alot more).

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

[mod edit]

I quite liked the hero as done by AoC. But being the hero means no one else is the hero. Now as you say we should treat these games as sleight of hand: I log on and play the hero for an hour and then play Mr 3 in the group without pause. But it is playing the hero that means you are on your own, that content is designed to be solo. So being the hero is detrimental to what a MMo is all about, which is multiplayer.

Now you could design a hero team, you might say in fact that something like SWTOR's separate hero missions they were doing just that. I can think of no other MMO which did separate class quests to top level? But we never did team hero missions, now that would be the best of both worlds, but then you solo guys are going to have to put up with that antithesis of a good evenings gaming…other people. :)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Elikal

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Grrrr

Serieusly Elikal? I mean if developers actually would listen to the "hardcore crowd" don't you think this genre wouldn't be as easy as it is today?

It's actually the casual crowd that make the majority of people in this genre so in turn the majority of MMO's are really pretty easy, and every now and then there comes a games with alittle more challenge and what do we see.....people complaining it's to hard.

I use to be all about becoming the best at my ingame profession. These day's I rather not else it makes the gameplay rather boring and sorry just to easy. I actually gimp myself to create my own challenge. Mind you I don't PVP in MMORPG as I pvp in other genre of games.

If developers would listen to the minority of gamers (hardcore gamers)we most likely have allot more virtual gameworlds aka sandbox type of MMORPG's, allot more freedom and allot more thinking it thru before engaging into battle.

It seems you've been very spoiled with the easy MMO's of the last couple of years and now you enter a MMO with alittle more challenge and you forget how many easy games there are out there.

But then again my hope is that you where being very sarcastic as you know for years we have seen most people complain about how complex MMO's use to be and that's the reason why so many MMO's have become so very easy....atleast to get into.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I really can't figure out what is so difficult about any MMO. In my opinion, everything has been so easy to the point where it was boring.

MMOs, in fact, are quite pathetic.

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Umm challenging games are fun. Why out the challenge?

Within a single player, highly scripted game, you are the only protagonist to kill the bad guy and get the girl. Others may be playing the same game, but they are not coexisting within your game world. Within the context of an mmo that is clearly not the case.

The whole idea of a game world is an illusion. What is a game world is what a dev said so cause the code & data can obviously share machines & hard disk.

So if you use instance or phasing, you are the ONLY one in that "game world" that kill the lich king and be the hero.

A level one story may have an npc call you a "hero", or you could RP a hero to your hearts content. As soon as you step outside of your instance/bubble though, every other fecker is in the same "legendary" gear, with the same titles having killed the same boss, you are part of the crowd.

So what? This is no different than go on the Starcraft chat-channel and talk to someone who has finished the campaign. Or go on the D3 chat channel with many who has killed Diablo.

That is no reason NOT to put some illusion of heroism in instances.

Originally posted by Tridian

Games that are TOO difficult are not fun.

Case in point, inferno difficulty in D3 when it was first released. People die again, again, again and again. Everyone was fed up. Blizz nerf the difficulty and the game was a lot better.

Another example. Sunwell. Most (like 98%) just gave up and not even try.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Grrrr

Equally, I too have had it with people screaming "I WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO ME!". They've completely taken over the industry and dumbed it down to near IQ straining levels.

I'm tired of pressing a button and killing 20 mobs before my quest has even begun.

I'm also horribly fed up with developers listening to the "Lowest Common Denominator" crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be their alternative form of TV, but with self-centric involvement from their own two hands to feel like they're part of that "TV show on rails".

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    I don't see how anyone could find GW2 hard.... Perhaps the WvW stuff primarily because the 'mass zerg' gets you killed frequently but overall. No.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Case in point, inferno difficulty in D3 when it was first released. People die again, again, again and again. Everyone was fed up. Blizz nerf the difficulty and the game was a lot better.

Your example is actually a very poor one. Blizzard even stated that they knew Inferno was going to be too difficult. They wanted to see how hard it was to progress and adjust it accordingly.

I've never played a MMO that was too hard. In fact, they have all been too easy.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

There's been numerous examples of mmorpg difficulty being adjusted downward.  Has any mmorpg had it's difficulty adjusted upward?

I have a really hard time believing anyone is listening to the so called "more difficult" crowd.  In fact, just the opposite.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Not everyone is interested in theorycrafting and are quite happy to copy the latest cookie-cutter builds. I think the philosophy that Blizzard seemed to employ in vanilla WoW was pretty good. The gameplay very easy to get into, but hard to master. The latter means that only very small percentage of players managed clear the end-game content before the first expansion. The difficulty was there for those who wanted, they were able to witness unique content and feel accomplished. This has been watered down since TBC.

Later, most guilds managed to clear the content in the normal mode and still see the content. The sense of accomplished was not the same as you got when you were one of the very few guilds to have killed a certain boss in vanilla. This is about making the content more accessable, but in fact it is about making it easier. I raided a lot in vanilla WoW and TBC, but I really hated the whole normal vs. heroic concept. In my opinion, it is simply lazy development. I preferred the harder content.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Grrrr

See, the problem with your theory is that those games aren't 'more difficult'.  TSW is a little rough at first if you spec your  character out wrong (and Funcom is adding intermediate Decks now to help solve that problem), but the reason you died was because you did it wrong.

Frankly, I don't know how you are dying a lot in GW2 at all. The only thing you should be doing really, is moving around in combat to help avoid getting hit.  Using both of your weapon sets will yield more DPS as well, but other than those two things, I haven't seen anything even remotely difficult about it.

Seriously though, if you need your game to be easier than GW2, you should probably be playing Farmville.  This is one of the friendliest and most accessible MMO games ever made.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

So basically this thread has shown that only a couple of people feel things are too hard and EVERYONE ELSE thinks they are too easy and moving in the wrong direction.

That is proof enough that games are too easy and need to get harder.

Asheron's Call just had a big patch and added a new zone/quest line that was very very tough. You know what players did? They went to the forums and thanked the devs for adding something hard back into the game and how much fun it was to try to get through this quest line and see the whole group die.

Games need to be tougher, MMOs even more so.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Im sorry but i cant take anyone seriously when they think TSW and GW2 is hard. [mod edit]

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    thief Run Dual daggers and Dual guns and you'll be fine. just pull combat stealth like mad and use backstabs a lot... id youre outnumbered.. stealth
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Your example is actually a very poor one. Blizzard even stated that they knew Inferno was going to be too difficult. They wanted to see how hard it was to progress and adjust it accordingly.

I've never played a MMO that was too hard. In fact, they have all been too easy.

Did you play Sunwell back in WOW BC? That is considered too hard by most, since only 2% did it.

Now Blizz did adjust raid difficulty after that.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Grrrr

Seriously I can only laugh at this. You do understand that 99% of the time, its the exact opposite? Devs nearly ever listen to the "hardcore" crowd, they prefer the listen to the casual noobs whining about the game being too hard for them because that's where the money is. Games have been dumbed down for the past 10 years or so... Maybe you should just learn how to play properly? Or maybe MMO's just aren't made for you? I don't understand the logic behind not wanting to have some challenge in our games. Do you find it fun to play a game when there's no challenge? I know I don't, because owning the same noobs or mobs over and over again without any difficulties isn't fun at all. That's the problem with MMO's, population is filled with 1/4 of good players and 3/4 of noobs who don't have a clue how to play and are so casual that they don't like to spend their time to learn to play, prefer to whine about a game being too hard and want their EZ mode back.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I find it hilarious how there are both folks screaming that GW2 is too hard, and folks screaming that GW2 is too easy.

I guess that maybe the difficulty is just right ;)?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Inferno Difficulty = RMAH incentive ;).

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Im sorry but i cant take anyone seriously when they think TSW and GW2 is hard. All i smell is a troll.

Elikal isn't a troll, he's been posting here a long time.

Some folks just like less twitchy games.  I know that GW2 would aggravate some of these folks, but well, no game is for everyone.

Personally, I play FPS's and RTS's as well as MMORPGs, so I'm used to twitch, and I enjoy the twitchiness of GW2.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Inferno Difficulty = RMAH incentive ;).

hardcore inferno (which is even MORE difficult) has no RMAH.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

D3 is a terrible option to use for arguing a point about an MMO. Especially when concerning a difficulty level as it has options regarding that.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Not to sound arrogant, but did you need some help with your character? I'm not saying I'm perfect in any way but i have noticed through trial and error with my engineer that if i make the wrong choices in the beginning with skill allocation that it was very much more difficult to both survive and to kill enemies especially when they run up in waves. So I've traveled around alot to get extra beginning skill points to enhance my engineer because i've spent the original points in useless abilities that didn't help me survive initially.

My theif is the same way tho i'm slowly figuring out what works. I haven't played the mesmer, maybe there's a weapon type that has a few AOE specific abilities that you could use?

The only other thing i've found extremely hard is the platforming. Some of the early ones have very little to stand on and it's not large enough for a large grumpy charr to stand on a toothpick to get to where I'm going LOL

I've played the thief and you need signets to be effective, the first one i've chosen is the one that increases damage, there are two others to choose from. Dual wield daggers seems to have a great maneuverability. Also, sword and dagger has been very helpful imo because it lets you escape to a teleport location u setup yourself removing a condition.

I dunno maybe this could help? Also, if the mail system is up, people are crafting like mad crazy maybe they could give you better weapons which helps a little in dps. 

Purhaps using duel pistols abilities will help?

I know what you mean. You see, I don't want a 200% power buff! I just want a TAD more oomph, a little bit more durable and powerful characters, just a little bit, so I am NOT standing on my toes and suffocating from adrenaline rush every single fight? Is that so much to ask??

Sorry. It just aggravates me devs always listen to the nerf crowd. ALWAYS! Why do always THEY have the final say? That's not fair! Just ONCE I wish they cater the games for ME not for THEM again!

Fucking seriously. They have heard you the last 10-15 years.. because games were dumbed down over the years.

And dont come with a old gamer.. I am a old gamer, too. And i have played since the first games for Atari Console or the first home computers appeared. And at that time, games were hard. They were not made to face palm through the game without trying to hard... it was much more a rarity to play through, than the opposite. And nowadays? I cant remember one game in the last 5 - 10 years which was not easily played til end without much thinking or trying. Just play and usually in a few hours the game is over already. WTF?

And now GW2 is a lil bit more difficult, but albeit far away from difficult, and you start complaining? You really want to play through any encounter the first time without even turn on your brain? well.. then play wow or any other game out there... no reason to dumb down GW2 any more.. it is easy enough.

In the open world almost everything is a nobrainer and single slice and dice anyway, and for the personal story you can cheat to dumb it down to your demand.. just take a few friends with you.. but it is doable solo, too. maybe not the first time.. but hell.. i can remember back at times that i played a few levels a few hundred times without solving them... and not everything has to be so fucking easy that an ape can do it. Why even playing? Maybe you should read a book or watch tv.. it is not that demanding.