Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

Comments

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    At the moment I would, most of the time I start burning out about now from an MMO. Yet I'm only level 54 and still have much to do such as dungeons, WvWvW and sPvP all which I find appealing. So as long as I'd find the game worthy and fun then I'd keep playing.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

From what I experience so far in this game, No.

I honestly picked it up since I was coaxed into it by my friends to play with them.

I don't mind paying a monthly fee for any mmorpg as long as I enjoy the game and my money goes to future content expansions, ifrastructure and better game support.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

I would pay $20 a month for this game, if there was no cash / gem shop.

If there was a shop with STRICTLY cosmetic items and nothing else, I'd pay $15 a month without even thinking about it.

I've been paying subscription fees for MMORPGs over the last decade which were inferior in almost every aspect to this game. It would make no sense to stop playing the better game because it had the same payment model.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Yes.

I intend to use some money in the cash shop for stuff like character slots and bank expansions anyway.

This game is more worthy of a monthly feee than most if not all subscriptions based games released these last years.

But of course, a subscription would involve the removal of the cash shop... ;)

Originally posted by vanderghast

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.

What is "almost criminal" is to spread such misinformation about the game. GW2 has more content at release than many MMOs have years after their release.

Second this. I must say I have come to realize people are dumber than I thought by reading comments such as "GW2 has no content / not enough content for a sub" It has more b((/&% content than any other game released in the past few years... by far. You may not LIKE it but you can't say it isn't there with a straight face.

Edit: oops had written a bad word, sorry!

What content? There is not alot of different things to do in the game and there is nonthing to work toward doing at higher level. A dungeon and thats it? No wonder people are level 80 already complaining about nonthing to do.

Please see my above post :) 

I'm level 80 and this is what I'm personally currently doing:

- Running dungeons (last storymodes and exolprable)

- Exploring/100% on zones/ Puzzles

- Now starting wvw

- Now starting spvp

- Working on my crafting recipes and discoveries

- Working on my cultural armor sets

- Collecting (dyes and minis)

- Putting away mats for my crafting alts

- Doing all the Boss DEs from trigger event to the end. 

- Achievement hunting

on the horizon: minigame tournaments with guild and achievements, legendary weapons and ofc... rolling one of the other 5 classes that I enjoyed. 

I've got lots to do!

• clarencechenclarencechen Member Posts: 4
    Be hornestly, i am quite disappointed with GW2.....nothing much but all the old mmo elements, those parts they said to be new but not, like the dynamic events, I played Warhammer online and RIFT, both did better than GW2....the player driven economy, EVE online is much much much much better than GW2, the skill system, dont mention the creativity in The secret world, the WOW also have very good and balanced skill system, only the weapson skill system is cool here, but the weapon type is so limited, and only 5 skill there....For the crafting part, the problem for most of the mmo, the items are NOT consumble at all, only the potions, food, etc, just like old mmorpg, why not make weapon parts, maybe enchanted magic effect or sth else like arrow, bullets consumble to make the whole economy running up as the gold is recycled very effiently...maybe the story line is cool, the graphic is cool, but the core part of the game...still no significant improvements.BTW, the PVP also....why not open pvp to make the game more funny...what i saw is mostly copied from warhammer pvp system....
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Morgaren

Right, people have been clammoring for a different way to do things, and the first time it happens, those who cried saying "I want a game that doesn't spoon feed me quest" Or "I am tired of quest hubs" turn around like little children.

You can't blow through stuff in this game. If you see some NPC's talking, you have to listen, cause they may be talking about something going on nearby. I saw some people talking about the water didn't look clean, and I had to travel across the zone to see bandits destroying the water tower. I didn't click on someone who said please go save our water tower, nor did I stumble upon it by accident, although I have stumbled into other situations by accident. Thats content. Thats a new way to do questing, and if you don't get it, sorry your dumb.

I try not to be too fanboyish, but seriously, this game did alot of things different. If you have been complaining about wanting something different, and say this is just same old same old, you the kind of person who would complain if somone hung you with a new rope.

In other words you have to "roleplay" to get quests?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I voted, no. I'm a very open fan when it comes to GW2.. but one of the reasons I am that fan is because of the payment plan and wonderful cash shop setup.

I would definately not pay monthly for this game, but I don't have to so it doesn't matter.

Will it always be my priority game? No. Will it always be on my HDD? Yes. Will I buy every expansion and login for every update? Definately.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by clarencechen
    Be hornestly, i am quite disappointed with GW2.....nothing much but all the old mmo elements, those parts they said to be new but not, like the dynamic events, I played Warhammer online and RIFT, both did better than GW2....the player driven economy, EVE online is much much much much better than GW2, the skill system, dont mention the creativity in The secret world, the WOW also have very good and balanced skill system, only the weapson skill system is cool here, but the weapon type is so limited, and only 5 skill there....For the crafting part, the problem for most of the mmo, the items are NOT consumble at all, only the potions, food, etc, just like old mmorpg, why not make weapon parts, maybe enchanted magic effect or sth else like arrow, bullets consumble to make the whole economy running up as the gold is recycled very effiently...maybe the story line is cool, the graphic is cool, but the core part of the game...still no significant improvements.BTW, the PVP also....why not open pvp to make the game more funny...what i saw is mostly copied from warhammer pvp system....

What old is new again - Remember GW1 was BEFORE Warhammer and did have verious distinct PvP elements - Warhammer borrowed form there.

WoW did not have a balanced skill system unless you liked macros. GW2 limits your choice, just like GW1 did because eaven though each build has it's strengths, they also have inherent weaknesses. That was the same in GW1 - there is not UBER build in this game.

Your list you posted, you want a clean slate - play Tale in the Desert.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I never pay ,ore "gladly" but I would pay the monthly fees. I been paying a lot of monthly fees for a lot less in the past, B2P is just glaceing on the cake.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Orphes

In other words you have to "roleplay" to get quests?

I dont think so, no. You can if you want to and youll get a lot more out of the lore if you do, but you might as well walk around killing stuff and follow the easy pointers of the DEs.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    The fees don't bother me, but then $15 per month is nothing compared to what I pay for my other hobbies, activities and entertainment.  MMO games are one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I can think of.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I would not pay to play the game. I'm content with the cash shop. 

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by vanderghast

I would have cancelled my subscription the first day once i realized there was nothing in the game but heart quests and DE's.  The games system reminds me too much of that last Final fantasy MMO where there were no quests just those stupid guild leves.  There's no content in this game and leveling becomes a chore that requires you to craft just to slightly keep up with he areas your in.  One stupid quest for each level and then a bunch of random walking around.  I don't feel compelled at all to explore because i know i'll run into a bunch of mobs i have to kill that give almost zero experience for killing.  I feel absolutely no desire to go explore that cave over there because what's the point?  The half hour i'll be in there i'll get maybe a bubble of experience and for what? 

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.  I can't beleive this game was in development for this long.  Would it really have been that hard to put a few quests in there just to give you some kind of reason to explore the world other than seeing another cave or another field?

If this game had a subscription, it would be a massive failure.

Yeh, I guess the developers are well aware of the fact that their game gets dull for many players within the first month who wouldn't pay for another month. The fact that the game had a higher box price (55 EUR) and no subscription means the developers didn't really believe in the longevity of their game. This is like a very cheap "lifetime" offer.

What a crock. Yeah they spent five years or so making the game knowing it had no longevity. Congrats on the stupid response of the day award. The game was never going to have a sub fee. Its not like at the last minute the devs decided the game was weak so sell it high but never charge.

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Finding it hard enough to log on as it is... i would not have even brought the game if it had a sub..

Same here. I'm at level 47 atm, played a lot of WvW and got to like 172/143 in crafting (Tailor/Jeweler) and find myself thoroughly bored atm.

But I don't think it's the game, it's probably me. MMORPG's just aren't as fun for me as they used to be.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    The fees don't bother me, but then $15 per month is nothing compared to what I pay for my other hobbies, activities and entertainment.  MMO games are one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I can think of.

QFT.

I have spent much more on my other hobbies. I just wish there was a good MMO out there which doesnt have anything like I have seen before.

A bold new gaming aproach.

I guess its too risky financially speaking, but I would love to see one day.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I almost never pay sub fees anymore.  I wouldn't have bought the game if it had a subscription.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by remyburke
    The game is pretty amazing. All those that are hating on it are obviously allergic to fun. Seriously guys, if you don't enjoy GW2 for what it is, I think it's time to just walk away, because nothing is ever going to please you. Have fun being miserable.

I like GW2 but that statement is absurd.  No game is a catch all for MMO fans.  There are too many diverse tastes.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I honestly don't know. I am enjoying it thus far, but it hasn't been out long enough to say if I would or wouldn't. I am pleased that I don't have to pay one, tho.
  • GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Definitely, yes. I'm level 80 and doing tournaments with my guild premade, dungeon runs and crafting on the side.

There is a crapload to do, and frankly, I just don't have time to do WvW even though I want to. Maybe later once I've got all my crafting done.

The PVP tournaments alone are worth years of sub fee to me. It is the best PVP ever made in a MMO game, and personally I find it more enjoyable than the MOBA games from which it is clearly inspired.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

QFT.

I have spent much more on my other hobbies. I just wish there was a good MMO out there which doesnt have anything like I have seen before.

A bold new gaming aproach.

I guess its too risky financially speaking, but I would love to see one day.

Let's say you like to do robotics.  One set of parts costs $600 and another set $300 dollars.  The same basic process goes into making them.  Would it really make sense to buy the $600 parts?

No.  And if you said "but $600 is a lot less than I'd spend on a new gaming computer" you have now failed economics.

Point is, comparing games to non-games in terms of cost is rather ridiculous.  You compare games to other games.  Of course, sub fees don't fair to well when you do this, because it is a ridiculous charge for a game.  But if you pay sub fees, and recognize this, congitive dissonance would tend to make you justify the cost to yourself even if it isn't justifiable (we tend to resolve cognitive dissonance based on our behavior -- interesting tidbit).

I rambled a bit there, but the point is you can't compare gaming in cost to other hobbies in terms of decided what cost is reasonable for a game.  Otherwise you'll decide that a video game that you play for 30 hours should cost hundreds of dollars (based on movie prices).  But that's just now how it works.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Slythe
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Finding it hard enough to log on as it is... i would not have even brought the game if it had a sub..

Same here. I'm at level 47 atm, played a lot of WvW and got to like 172/143 in crafting (Tailor/Jeweler) and find myself thoroughly bored atm.

But I don't think it's the game, it's probably me. MMORPG's just aren't as fun for me as they used to be.

Thats because MMOs arnt as good as they used to be, and thats includeing GW2.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

A pointless question, Areanet has done this before with the original GW and it makes the game what it is. The lack of a subscription fee also clearly shows in how the game is run. No subscription based game could get away with the sub-par customer support, lack of ingame GM's and no official forum while the official site is a clear "oh my god we can't handle the traffic" mess.

A lot of kids wonder why some MMO's need a monthly fee and it is simple, adults have to pay for their own food. That means people working for a company demand a wage and that wage has to be payed out of income generated by the company. Most often through having customers pay for stuff.

50 bucks for a boxed game is significantly less income then 50 bucks for a boxed game plus 12x15 bucks for a fee. Do the math. So either Areanet found a way to stop its employees from needing food or it hires significantly less of them.

The original GW feel was much closer to a Korean game and GW2 is little different. The game itself is good but you do get the feeling that customer support is competely missing. Just imagine Blizzard just bring WoW down with a 3 minute notice. Everyone would scream bloody murder, your raid, your group just poof gone whenever Blizzard felt like releasing a trivial patch.

Hell, there aren't even any patch notes, clearly communicating with its customers is at the moment restricted to the occasional twitter messages. Compare this to SOE community and the experience is clearly very different.

So, would I pay a monthly fee for GW2? Duh. NO. Not for what they currently offer. It would be like asking if I would pay 3 michelin star prices for a McD burger. No. I MIGHT pay a premium for a real michelin chef created hamburger but NOT for a McD burger as it is right now. Not that said burgers are bad, they just aren't worth a higher price.

GW2 is the game it is, louse customer support and all, thanks to it business model. If Areanet were to change its business model, it would have to change the game or at least how they operate it.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

We all know how good of a deal it seems, you pay once, play for life.

It seems most people I have spoken to, still play and will play it mostly because it has no monthly fees and not so much because it is a VERY good game. The game is plagued with bugs and service failures, so I have to wonder if we would all be saying good things if this game had a subscription.

But how many of you would keep playing this if it had subscription?

Do you think this game is good enough to have one? 

Thanks!

The only REAL problems I have with the game right now are the WvWvW queues and the overflow situation. And yes, I understand how overflow works and am actually a fan of the idea. I just think ANet, in their haste to NOT repeat the mistake BW made opening up too many servers, has opened too few.

Otherwise, I love the game. Would I pay a subscription for it? That question is immaterial as it's not how ANet does business. I AM pleased enough with the game and generally how ANet is running things (aside from the two glaring issues they have with account security and the problem they had with the authentication servers they put in place to help with the security) to periodically purchase some gems from the store. In all likelihood, I'll probably spend as much in gems as I would on a subscription, the difference being they're not COMPELLING me to pay.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by sfc1971

A pointless question, Areanet has done this before with the original GW and it makes the game what it is. The lack of a subscription fee also clearly shows in how the game is run. No subscription based game could get away with the sub-par customer support, lack of ingame GM's and no official forum while the official site is a clear "oh my god we can't handle the traffic" mess.

A lot of kids wonder why some MMO's need a monthly fee and it is simple, adults have to pay for their own food. That means people working for a company demand a wage and that wage has to be payed out of income generated by the company. Most often through having customers pay for stuff.

50 bucks for a boxed game is significantly less income then 50 bucks for a boxed game plus 12x15 bucks for a fee. Do the math. So either Areanet found a way to stop its employees from needing food or it hires significantly less of them.

The original GW feel was much closer to a Korean game and GW2 is little different. The game itself is good but you do get the feeling that customer support is competely missing. Just imagine Blizzard just bring WoW down with a 3 minute notice. Everyone would scream bloody murder, your raid, your group just poof gone whenever Blizzard felt like releasing a trivial patch.

Hell, there aren't even any patch notes, clearly communicating with its customers is at the moment restricted to the occasional twitter messages. Compare this to SOE community and the experience is clearly very different.

So, would I pay a monthly fee for GW2? Duh. NO. Not for what they currently offer. It would be like asking if I would pay 3 michelin star prices for a McD burger. No. I MIGHT pay a premium for a real michelin chef created hamburger but NOT for a McD burger as it is right now. Not that said burgers are bad, they just aren't worth a higher price.

GW2 is the game it is, louse customer support and all, thanks to it business model. If Areanet were to change its business model, it would have to change the game or at least how they operate it.

A couple things wrong with your post:

1) They dont just bring it down with a 3 minute warning. They announce in their status updates when they will be bringing down the server or pushing out patches, and its typically at Midnight PST every time. Not only that but the 3 minute warnings arent for server downs, theyre for client side patches, which means it kicks you, you spend a few second patching, and youre back in. When they actually bring the server down for work, not client side patches, they give 60 minute notices.

2) I can only think of a handful of MMOs that actually provided good customer service, had active GMs, etc. Paying a sub does not ensure quality anything. Just look at some of the games that have launched in the past few years that have provided little to no customer service (maybe an automated response if youre lucky), have no active staff in-game assisting players, and let exploits run rampant throughout their games, and constantly promise "we're going to fix this issue, we swear" for months on end with no fixes. WAR, DCUO, Darkfall, etc. All horrible service, all sub games (yeah iI know about the F2P change with DCUO, but im talking when it hd subs at launch).

3) Official forums were never even going to exist, just like they didnt in GW1, and instead they were going to let the community run their own like GWGuru (where some of the Anet staff were already active). It was never a problem with GW1, but now all of a sudden its a huge issue for some people, and shortly before launch they announced they will add forums, but its hardly a priority considering they almost never existed int he 1st place.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

No!

The game is okej as free not more.