Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need GW2 to fail

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Stryx74
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71 Toast is a crap breakfast.
    Seriously, you've got a growing boy there, a quick shot of simple carbs just isn't going to cut it. I recommend you at least include a generous helping of .

On a side note, I made toast in GW2 yesterday, all by myself.

Bacon.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by colddog04
    I'm not around kids very much, but aren't nine years olds able to make their own toast? 

That is where I thought this rant was going. No more hand holding and your kid learns to make his own toast. This would be a very important life lesson. Something the MMO industry need to learn. MMOs need to grow up and not perpetually stuck in the same childish habbits. When you learn to walk it is time to learn to run NOT go backwards and start crawling again which is what the WoW model represents.

Thinking of an MMO with Eve like structure but set in a mediaval world.

Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Sylvarii Originally posted by Eir_S That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.
    I like GW2 as much as the next person but do you actually like the game as much as you are making out? Seems to me you spend most of your time defending or rebuffing anyone  on these forums who has a different take on GW2 than you have. How do you find time to play the game? Go play your game,ArenaNet don't need you to be they're knight in shining armour for god sake. Fans like you do GW2 more harm than good. I don't agree with the OP but then again it really does not bother me what people think about GW2,unlike you.
    I agree with you Sylvarii but i think some times frustration is warranted. Some posters here do need to be proven wrong especially when they spread false and wrong information about GW2.

The best way to beat a GW2 troll is to hit them with facts and credible information. However, when people criticise GW2 on basis of valid problems and shortcomings there is no need to bash or insult them. I myself criticise GW2 a lot but then there are people who have some kind of agenda and try to make it appear as if GW2 is failing or going to fail soon.

I mean yesterday a guy was saying that Anet should remake GW2 because they screwed up.. /facepalm.

You can't prove an opinion wrong. Sometimes you can prove the facts supporting an opinion wrong, but the opinion itself exists in a state that is beyond right and wrong.

In this case it would take someone with a knack for historical research and a timeline showing a crash in a sector of a particular genre and whether or not it spurred innovation. I'm not that person, but maybe someone else here is.

Until then, the post on Spam has prompted me to remember a poem.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Poems are hard
    Bacon

• RaralRaral Member Posts: 12
    so yea i agree with most that most of your post was stupidish never hope a game will fail but it seems your after a good sandbox a real online world which for the most part hasnt been made it would be good if people quit pumping out mmos the market is too flood to support the population. what is needed is a game that people will enjoy for years to come like many did with everquest when it frist came out i havn't really found a game i felt like i was adventureing in since eq, swg to a point, that before fast travel when a boat ride was 15 mins or more a real massive quaility mmo with new things is needed 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Stryx74

On a side note, I made toast in GW2 yesterday, all by myself.

ya know you can also make cinnamon toast?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by Eir_S That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.
    I like GW2 as much as the next person but do you actually like the game as much as you are making out? Seems to me you spend most of your time defending or rebuffing anyone  on these forums who has a different take on GW2 than you have. How do you find time to play the game? Go play your game,ArenaNet don't need you to be they're knight in shining armour for god sake. Fans like you do GW2 more harm than good. I don't agree with the OP but then again it really does not bother me what people think about GW2,unlike you.
    I agree with you Sylvarii but i think some times frustration is warranted. Some posters here do need to be proven wrong especially when they spread false and wrong information about GW2.

The best way to beat a GW2 troll is to hit them with facts and credible information. However, when people criticise GW2 on basis of valid problems and shortcomings there is no need to bash or insult them. I myself criticise GW2 a lot but then there are people who have some kind of agenda and try to make it appear as if GW2 is failing or going to fail soon.

I mean yesterday a guy was saying that Anet should remake GW2 because they screwed up.. /facepalm.

You can't prove an opinion wrong. Sometimes you can prove the facts supporting an opinion wrong, but the opinion itself exists in a state that is beyond right and wrong.

In this case it would take someone with a knack for historical research and a timeline showing a crash in a sector of a particular genre and whether or not it spurred innovation. I'm not that person, but maybe someone else here is.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Poems are hard
    Bacon

Ok i re read my post again carefully and nowhere i was talking merely about an 'opinion'. And honestly i could care less about just an opinion. But when people try to pass their opinions as & fact then yes they need to be corrected.

Saying "game sucks" or "game is bad" is an opinion, i could care less about it. But when people say game is a failure and Anet needs to re make the game just like SE remade FFXIV it is not an opinion any more.

Another example... "GW2 is losing players".."it is bleeding subs"..not just an opinion, even though latest game status update mentions that  server capacity has been increased today because of increasing player numbers.

"GW2 gives almost zero experince when you kill mobs while exploring"..or 'GW2 is very light on content" not just an opinion. These are deliberate attempts to spread lies.

Its like saying lizardbones is gay and loves butt sex even though you are straight..i can't say 'hey Lizard man you are wrong because it is my opinion'. Some things are just plain wrong and lies and mere opinion can not change that.

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118
    lol, GW2 is what mmorpg's need to be at and go beyond. and dude it would only take sec to make your son some toast dont be a Jerk.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

What do most people want when they arrive home, tired and hungry?

Have a nice meal cooked by a professional or have have a kitchen filled with ingredients?

That is why your kid cried - he likes toast and you have been making him toast for 9 years so he knows you know how to make him toast.

That is why he cried.

The problem is that your wife actually makes a better toast than you and she isn't pricky in the morning.

So now you can have your self made breakfast alone.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

You know what's funny?  I think this topic is hilariously silly and yet, I wanted SWTOR to fail, so one could very easily so I'm little different than the OP.

But here's the thing SWTOR was not a very progressive MMORPG.  Its combat, and questing systems were almost a direct copy from WoW...with added VO.  In addition, it pushed so far into "single player" territory with its design, that oftentimes I forgot I was playing an MMORPG when I played it...I just did not feel this was a good direction for MMORPGs, it was basically stagnation + more single player features....yeah not what MMORPGs should be.

GW2 on the other hand...unless you completely, unequivocably hate all themepark MMORPGs, is actually a fairly progressive game.  All of the following components of GW2 are radically different from the norm:

1.  Combat

2.  Questing

3.  PvP (focus on balance instead of gear/level winning)

Those are all pretty major things...so I really don't see how anyone can argue that GW2 needs to fail to make way for more "innovative" (read "better") games.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

The secret world sucks , SWTOR was a disaster and hopefully GW2 will bomb.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

First off, a 9 year old can make his own toast.

Secondly, I think that the secret world is a pretty good MMO - not the best that was ever made, but Im playing it and liking it. But this is my own opinion.

Thirdly just because it is your own singular opinion that these features should be in an MMO doesnt mean that everyone else wants these things and that will solve all our problems lol.

I think you should add eggs to your breakfast so your blood sugar will be more stable.

Originally posted by Eir_S That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Poems are hard
    Bacon

This is true, but a pure opinion is also completely worthless in an argument or discussion.  It's kind of like...I can't "prove" the fact that you "think" roses are blue with yellow poka-dots is wrong...but why would I even try?  I would just accept that you're crazy and move on ;).

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Except..GW2 is amazing.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Zarriya   First off, a 9 year old can make his own toast.

Depends on the genetic inheritance he received.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Naevius

The kid is smart.

Why should he make its own crappy toast when someone else with more experience can make a better one for him to appreciate?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Newmoon

a prison mmo- can I grind in my cell all day? Crafting = license plates? Erm, no.

Cowboy themed? Fallen Earth, and it has zombies too!

Build towns, houses etc? Several MMOs coming down the pipe with that- pick your flavor. At least 8 sandbox MMOs coming.

EvE Online has it (outpost building), along with a jukebox you can add your own music to, and everyone is on the same server.

TADA!!!!!

Hahahaha!

Yeah this...;)

Playing GW2..

Oh just have to ask...

In a prison MMORPG, does the pet class have the ability to tame prison bitches?  Must he go to the shower to do so?

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Naevius

The kid is smart.

Why should he make its own crappy toast when someone else with more experience can make a better one for him to appreciate?

:D

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

I assume you meant the arcade crash? I certainly remembering playing the hell out of video games during the '80s, from the Atari to Nintendo to Commodore 64. There were PLENTY of games going around...

As far as the thread, why do we need a crash? Why don't you play what you want to play, I play what I want to play and everyone stfu? People are being ridiculous, these are just games afterall. 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Poems are hard
    Bacon

This is true, but a pure opinion is also completely worthless in an argument or discussion.  It's kind of like...I can't "prove" the fact that you "think" roses are blue with yellow poka-dots is wrong...but why would I even try?  I would just accept that you're crazy and move on ;).

This is where you turn to the person and examine his/her rationale behind this opinion. Afterall an opinion can be made under insufficient or false evidence or wrong assumptions.

In other words, I guess I'm saying that even opinions can be wrong.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

Those features you listed at the bottom of your post should be the standard for MMO's by now, NOT the garbage we have today.

Ya, I've been saying the same thing for awhile.  There won't be anymore innovation as long as close-minded gamers (like some of the ignorant children bashing your post right off the bat in the beginning of this thread) and "newer" generation gamers (the WoW crowd) continue to buy the same steaming pile of assembly line crap that has become the MMO genre.  Until these carbon copies constantly fail and leave the companies with no net gain, they will continue to feed us "junk".

I love how people immediately dismiss this thread with "lol dumbass u no like guild wars 2" as soon as they see that you're throwing GW2 in with the other carbon copies.  Sorry guys, Guild Wars 2 is the same shit.  I was an enormous fan of GW1 and played it for a very long time.  I wanted Guild Wars 2 to be a success so so bad, and waited for it for a very long time, but it turned out to be just another bland theme-park MMO with a few PvP perks.  We don't have to go into how or why it's one of those.  If you can't see it, you're in denial or you just don't know any better.  Period.

So what made Guild Wars 1 so good?  Innovation.  Nobody had ever done PvP like Guild Wars 1.  It was INNOVATIVE.  But I guess the gamers today are perfectly fine with playing the same damn game over and over, year after year.

Originally posted by Radar11x
    lol, GW2 is what mmorpg's need to be at and go beyond. and dude it would only take sec to make your son some toast dont be a Jerk.

^ This is what's wrong.  People just don't know any better I think.  This isn't what MMORPG's need to be at.  We were way past this and beyond YEARS AGO!  Ya, that's right.  Everything this MMO has, MMO's from the early 2000's did and better.  DAoC had WvW PvP, and with THREE different realms with over NINE classes to choose from for each realm and MULTIPLE races PER realm!!!  On top of all that, grouping was 100% necessary, and there were even big boss fights in PvE!  Do people not understand that?  Do they not see the effort developers use to put into games and compare it with the trash today?  I don't get it...

I'm sorry, but I honestly can't understand why people can't see through these game designs and realize that there is absolutely no innovation in this market anymore.  I can maybe understand if somebody hasn't experienced pre-WoW MMO's (so maybe their standards are way lower), but not if you've played the classics like DAoC, UO, Eve, etc.

We're stuck man, and not going anywhere.  I would suggest you do what I did.  Quit MMO's completely and hope innovation returns to this genre.  Visit these forums every once and awhile to see whatsup.  Until then, don't bother.  Let the kids be tricked into playing the same game over and over.

Sorry guys, the people falling for these new post-WoW cookie cutter MMO's are the same people continuously playing the Call of Duty carbon copies that has plagued our beloved FPS genre also.

Okay that just turned into a rant.  Whoops.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by lifeordinary Originally posted by Sylvarii Originally posted by Eir_S That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.
    I agree with you Sylvarii but i think some times frustration is warranted. Some posters here do need to be proven wrong especially when they spread false and wrong information about GW2.   The best way to beat a GW2 troll is to hit them with facts and credible information. However, when people criticise GW2 on basis of valid problems and shortcomings there is no need to bash or insult them. I myself criticise GW2 a lot but then there are people who have some kind of agenda and try to make it appear as if GW2 is failing or going to fail soon. I mean yesterday a guy was saying that Anet should remake GW2 because they screwed up.. /facepalm.
    You can't prove an opinion wrong. Sometimes you can prove the facts supporting an opinion wrong, but the opinion itself exists in a state that is beyond right and wrong. In this case it would take someone with a knack for historical research and a timeline showing a crash in a sector of a particular genre and whether or not it spurred innovation. I'm not that person, but maybe someone else here is. Until then, the post on Spam has prompted me to remember a poem. Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Bacon  
    Ok i re read my post again carefully and nowhere i was talking merely about an 'opinion'. And honestly i could care less about just an opinion. But when people try to pass their opinions as & fact then yes they need to be corrected.

Saying "game sucks" or "game is bad" is an opinion, i could care less about it. But when people say game is a failure and Anet needs to re make the game just like SE remade FFXIV it is not an opinion any more.

Another example... "GW2 is losing players".."it is bleeding subs"..not just an opinion, even though latest game status update mentions that  server capacity has been increased today because of increasing player numbers.

"GW2 gives almost zero experince when you kill mobs while exploring"..or 'GW2 is very light on content" not just an opinion. These are deliberate attempts to spread lies.

Its like saying lizardbones is gay and loves butt sex even though you are straight..i can't say 'hey Lizard man you are wrong because it is my opinion'. Some things are just plain wrong and lies and mere opinion can not change that.

Then the correction would be to tell them they are stating their opinion as a fact and then trying to explain the difference. It won't work though. They'll say they are just stating an opinion, and then continue to make predictions and statements that are presented as facts whether they are facts, opinions or nonsense.

I refuse to comment on my gender or orientation. I prefer to have an air of mystery. A certain Joie De Vivre without being tied down by the constraints of gender or orientation.

Bacon.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by lifeordinary Originally posted by Sylvarii Originally posted by Eir_S That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.
    I agree with you Sylvarii but i think some times frustration is warranted. Some posters here do need to be proven wrong especially when they spread false and wrong information about GW2.   The best way to beat a GW2 troll is to hit them with facts and credible information. However, when people criticise GW2 on basis of valid problems and shortcomings there is no need to bash or insult them. I myself criticise GW2 a lot but then there are people who have some kind of agenda and try to make it appear as if GW2 is failing or going to fail soon. I mean yesterday a guy was saying that Anet should remake GW2 because they screwed up.. /facepalm.
    You can't prove an opinion wrong. Sometimes you can prove the facts supporting an opinion wrong, but the opinion itself exists in a state that is beyond right and wrong. In this case it would take someone with a knack for historical research and a timeline showing a crash in a sector of a particular genre and whether or not it spurred innovation. I'm not that person, but maybe someone else here is. Until then, the post on Spam has prompted me to remember a poem. Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Bacon  

I wouldn't consider opinions worthless. A lot of discussions center around the opinions being held. The trick is to be able to discuss them, allowing for the idea that multiple, dissenting opinions can occupy the same mental space at the same time without anything breaking.

Using flowers, I might like the smell of the corpse flower, and you probably wouldn't. We have dissenting opinions on the same thing, and the world will keep moving just fine if we have different opinions. We could even discuss those opinions and why we hold them. Maybe corpse flowers remind me of my dead relatives. This information I would impart with a smile. At this point, don't drink the tea, ignore social convention and leave. So many people in horror movies would live long lives if they were just a little bit rude every once in awhile. After all, I think Roses are polka dotted.

With the flower example above, it is a fact that Red Roses are some shade of red. You can use a color scanner from a paint store to get the exact shade of red, but it will be some sort of red. Roses don't come in a polka-dot color. If I think Roses are polka-dot colored, I don't have an opinion, I have a delusion. It's probably correct to just accept that I'm delusional and move on in that case, but not because of my opinions. Delusional people are unpredictable, and while they're usually not violent, you never really can tell. :-)

Boy, I certainly have wandered far from the topic. My apologies.

Bacon.

I wouldn't consider opinions worthless. A lot of discussions center around the opinions being held. The trick is to be able to discuss them, allowing for the idea that multiple, dissenting opinions can occupy the same mental space at the same time without anything breaking.

Using flowers, I might like the smell of the corpse flower, and you probably wouldn't. We have dissenting opinions on the same thing, and the world will keep moving just fine if we have different opinions. We could even discuss those opinions and why we hold them. Maybe corpse flowers remind me of my dead relatives. This information I would impart with a smile. At this point, don't drink the tea, ignore social convention and leave. So many people in horror movies would live long lives if they were just a little bit rude every once in awhile. After all, I think Roses are polka dotted.

With the flower example above, it is a fact that Red Roses are some shade of red. You can use a color scanner from a paint store to get the exact shade of red, but it will be some sort of red. Roses don't come in a polka-dot color. If I think Roses are polka-dot colored, I don't have an opinion, I have a delusion. It's probably correct to just accept that I'm delusional and move on in that case, but not because of my opinions. Delusional people are unpredictable, and while they're usually not violent, you never really can tell. :-)

Boy, I certainly have wandered far from the topic. My apologies.

Bacon.

LOL I enjoyed that post.  But back on topic...

Here is why I think "pure opinions" are worthless to a discussion.  Try this...

"I think your post is wrong."

Go ahead and argue against that if you want, but it doesn't matter what you say.  My rebuttal will always be, "that's just my opinion, and I am entitled to it."  It is absolutely pointless for you to argue against it...there is no "winning" for either side.

This type of "pure opinion" argument is even a well-known logical fallacy:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~cmcgloth/portfolio/fallacies/argumentlazy.html

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Good luck with your toasts. I don't see why you'd want every MMO to fail and still hope something good would come from it. If you want things to evolve then support the games that evolve in the right direction. If everything fails then the genre will die and that will be that. If that's what you want then I'd suggest you just stop being interested in computergames.

imageimage
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Even if GW2 fails, TESO is already on the way. It's naive to think that the failure of one game will cause companies to try something completly unique.

So, there's nothing good to be had by Guild Wars 2 failing. I do not wish for any game or company to fail.

This discussion has been closed.