Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Keep NcSoft from shutting down City of Heroes" petition passes 10,000 names

Comments

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Get those 10,000 people that might or might not even play the game subscribe by becoming VIP and there would be a better chance of it not closing instead of just signing a form.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Instead of signing the petition those people coulda been playing to keep it alive.

I haven't played it much this year, other things have cropped up, but I have been subbed to it the entire year, since it went F2P, gathering 400 points each month.

They should just stop creating more MMOs, that is what keeps people away. People keep trying the latest things, and each new game just keeps getting more and more short lived, and then you go back to your favourite MMO but then it is shut down, and the new game is crap, and then you have nothing to play!

Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Get those 10,000 people that might or might not even play the game subscribe by becoming VIP and there would be a better chance of it not closing instead of just signing a form.

You can not subscribe, they have taken away the option

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    You can't stop stupid people from putting their name under a stupid cause.

That has got to be one of the most uneducated sentences I have ever read.

A few of my friends play CoH and they are very discouraged that the game is being shutdown.  Is it so wrong of them to try and save the MMO that they enjoy playing?  Simply because you don't like it does not mean its stupid or that the effort to save it is stupid, and it really doesn't mean that the people playing it are stupid... No. The quote above defines ignorance.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by LachyFTW
    This is pointless, the decision is already made and a petition won't change a thing.
    Exactly. This is a business, not some governmental agency. While I am sad to see CoH closing it's doors, clicking a little button on some webform will not change a thing. Buying subs and in-game items would make them think twice about it. Even then, it will forever be held over the threshold of the door, one step from getting the boot.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

10,000 people play CoH, and 10,000 people signed the petition.  Similarly when SWTOR gets shut down, 10k people will still be playing, and 10k will sign a petition.  Plus, being F2P, it likely does not generate much money with those numbers anyways.

It's still not enough to justify keeping the doors open.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I mailed 10,000 apples to Summer Glau. Everything should be fine now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by smokedogg311
    Unless your sending them a nice chunk of money in with that petition then you can kill CoH goodbye.

Yeah the majority of those 10k probably never even played the game...When I played it early this year it was a ghost town, and that was after f2p was implemented....Im sure it holds some nostalgia for alot of people who played years ago, but in 2012 it doesn't measure up anymore.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

A few of my friends play CoH and they are very discouraged that the game is being shutdown.  Is it so wrong of them to try and save the MMO that they enjoy playing?  Simply because you don't like it does not mean its stupid or that the effort to save it is stupid, and it really doesn't mean that the people playing it are stupid... No. The quote above defines ignorance.

No, I'm sure it is you who is showing your ignorance here. NCsoft will not continue supporting a game simply because a handful of people want them to, but because it is not profitable anymore. If there is no future, no money in it, why support it? Perhaps NCsoft will put those employees to better use in some other project. Who knows? Do you?

Those who signed are like some Greenpiece activists. Sure, they make noise but will they accomplish anything? -Unlikely. That petition is stupid.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

No, I'm sure it is you who is showing your ignorance here. NCsoft will not continue supporting a game simply because a handful of people want them to, but because it is not profitable anymore. If there is no future, no money in it, why support it? Perhaps NCsoft will put those employees to better use in some other project. Who knows? Do you?

Those who signed are like some Greenpiece activists. Sure, they make noise but will they accomplish anything? -Unlikely. That petition is stupid.

How do you know it is not profitable? Got a link or something that proves it 100% that it is not profitable or is that because it is the most likely reason?

I bet you would think it stupid of people still trying to save EQmac after Smedley came on and gave reasons why it had to close. They craeted more that just noise, they saved EQmac.

Without knowing the real reasons why it is closing, someone could say something, that makes the person deciding its fate, think twice, and then they reverse the decision.

If people like something, and do not put any effort into trying to save it, then those people are the stupid ones, as when it is too late to do anything about it, you will always wonder that if you did add your name, that it would have made the difference, but if you do add your name, and it does nothing, then you know you did all your could to try and save it, and never then live in regret.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I'm just wondering what happened?

I assumed they shut it down because it wasn't making money, but what happened?  I played on/off since launch, it appeared to have a very stable population of ~150k for years.  Did f2p really kill it that much?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    I'm just wondering what happened?I assumed they shut it down because it wasn't making money, but what happened?  I played on/off since launch, it appeared to have a very stable population of ~150k for years.  Did f2p really kill it that much?
    It is really unclear as to why they are shutting the doors. Here is the official announcement

"In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

What the hell is wrong with some of you? People want to take a swing at saving a game they love to play. If people who don't support the game with money want to add their voice to it then so be it! So what if this doesn't bring it back, so what if it might seem a little to little, it's been proven to work before, so why not let them take a swing at saving something they love?

Why do people call this a stupid cause? 

Why do people mock them for making this petition.

I swear MMORPG.com is spiraling down into the deepest part of the shit...

I signed it, not because I play it, but because I would rather see a few people get their game back, how ever little hope it may contain.

Its obvious that simple logic is lost on you, so I won't waste any more time than I feel your worth.  Your reply is laughable at best.

I will simply point you to history and the many small groups of people who took up arms to fight for a cause... If it came down to a fight I would not want you on my side.

Its obvious that simple logic is lost on you, so I won't waste any more time than I feel your worth.  Your reply is laughable at best.

I will simply point you to history and the many small groups of people who took up arms to fight for a cause... If it came down to a fight I would not want you on my side.

By no means does this come even close to taking up arms for any cause. This leaves me eagerly awaiting for your next argument. Perhaps you'll compare me to some of the evil "-isms".

By no means does this come even close to taking up arms for any cause. This leaves me eagerly awaiting for your next argument. Perhaps you'll compare me to some of the evil "-isms".

I would have liked to have seen a more intelligent reply...

And the fact is, this DOES have the spirit of a small group fighting for something against enormous odds.  Now, if you don't mind, I must get back to my PC version of Dark Souls... I signed that petition.

I would have liked to have seen a more intelligent reply...

And the fact is, this DOES have the spirit of a small group fighting for something against enormous odds.  Now, if you don't mind, I must get back to my PC version of Dark Souls... I signed that petition.

You posts don't exactly inspire an intelligent reply. PC version of Dark Souls sure is a good console port. image

Someone must have made that on their coffee break.

Originally posted by Enerzeal

What the hell is wrong with some of you? People want to take a swing at saving a game they love to play. If people who don't support the game with money want to add their voice to it then so be it! So what if this doesn't bring it back, so what if it might seem a little to little, it's been proven to work before, so why not let them take a swing at saving something they love?

I signed it, not because I play it, but because I would rather see a few people get their game back, how ever little hope it may contain.

For one, you can waste your time more usefully. This petition is like prayer. You feel like you've contributed - that you've done something - but in reality, you've done nothing. It all comes down to how you feel, not what you've accomplished.

It is a pointless, useless act. I support this euthanasia.

Posting to say that this is all pointless and people are stupid for trying to save a game, IS stupid and pointless. It gets nowhere at all, except to rub people the wrong way. At least the petition has a chance of saving the game, and if it works it will not have been stupid and pointless.

If the EQmac crowd did NOTHING, then that game would have been closed, but through all their emails and petitions they accomplished in saving EQmac http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=183280

It took 2 weeks for the players to do their magic, but the initial few days from Jan 27th they accomplished nothing, as Smedley came on told them saving EQ mac was no good. http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182907

This has only been 1 working day since the closure announcement (I assume Monday was a holiday in the US - Labor Day)

Even  if someone from NCsoft came on today or tomorrow, and siad something similar to what Smedley wrote on 31st Jan (which is the same timeframe from the initial closure announcement for EQmac), there is still hope, as Smedley changed his mind by 14th Feb

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

Exactly, there's no harm in doing it.. even if it's a long shot. it's STILL a shot. There are people who are losing a community of friends and online buds from years of gaming... you can be  your pessimistic arses they will be trying to extend the time some.

Originally posted by Chiram

Exactly, there's no harm in doing it.. even if it's a long shot. it's STILL a shot. There are people who are losing a community of friends and online buds from years of gaming... you can be  your pessimistic arses they will be trying to extend the time some.

So doing harm to NCsoft is not counted, is that it? They wouldn't shut a game down in a whim you know. I'm sure they have their reason. If you don't dig into your wallet, what good is that petition?

Originally posted by superniceguy

Posting to say that this is all pointless and people are stupid for trying to save a game, IS stupid and pointless. It gets nowhere at all, except to rub people the wrong way. At least the petition has a chance of saving the game, and if it works it will not have been stupid and pointless.

If the EQmac crowd did NOTHING, then that game would have been closed, but through all their emails and petitions they accomplished in saving EQmac http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=183280

It took 2 weeks for the players to do their magic, but the initial few days from Jan 27th they accomplished nothing, as Smedley came on told them saving EQ mac was no good. http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182907

This has only been 1 working day since the closure announcement (I assume Monday was a holiday in the US - Labor Day)

Even  if someone from NCsoft came on today or tomorrow, and siad something similar to what Smedley wrote on 31st Jan (which is the same timeframe from the initial closure announcement for EQmac), there is still hope, as Smedley changed his mind by 14th Feb

You are giving me red herrings. I'm not against petitions, I'm against this petition. Like in the above reply, if you're not going to reach into your wallet, what good is this petition?

Originally posted by Chiram

So doing harm to NCsoft is not counted, is that it? They wouldn't shut a game down in a whim you know. I'm sure they have their reason. If you don't dig into your wallet, what good is that petition?

Who is doing harm to NCsoft? No one

They will see the petitions, and if they can keep it going they will as Smedley was able to do with EQmac. If they see they can not keep it going they will not.

The fact that this is a rushed announcement, and there has been no official schedule set up yet,  has hopes that they are just seeing what the reactions of people are, from the shutdown announcement. If there are loads of people protesting against the closure then it may not get shut down, and operate a Plan B.

You are giving me red herrings. I'm not against petitions, I'm against this petition. Like in the above reply, if you're not going to reach into your wallet, what good is this petition?

I am already subbed to it for 6 months as of last week until March 2013, and have bought 5 15 day time cards, to activate 3 more accounts, which I am not sure will actually work. What more is there to do?

Why assume people are not putting money into it?

I am already subbed to it for 6 months as of last week until March 2013, and have bought 5 15 day time cards, to activate 3 more accounts, which I am not sure will actually work. What more is there to do?

Why assume people are not putting money into it?

Because signing something is far easier than actually putting money on the table. And some posters did admit they signed the petition but had no interest in paying or playing it. There is no way of knowing how many signatures in that petition came from people like these.

Who is doing harm to NCsoft? No one

They will see the petitions, and if they can keep it going they will as Smedley was able to do with EQmac. If they see they can not keep it going they will not.

The fact that this is a rushed announcement, and there has been no official schedule set up yet,  has hopes that they are just seeing what the reactions of people are, from the shutdown announcement. If there are loads of people protesting against the closure then it may not get shut down, and operate a Plan B.

Are you saying that if they don't really mean to shut it down, they wont, but if they do, they definitely will?

This discussion has been closed.