Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: PAX 2012 Best in Show - Here's Why

Comments

• SiiionSiiion Member Posts: 69
    Will player content be able to formulate boss mobs with complex mechanics?
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

City of Heros did a similar thing too, cant remeber if cryptic was still involved when it was implemented,the idea is still very cool :^) LOL i miss running games >.0

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Cryptic left City of Heroes after Issue 10 was released.  The Mission Architect was released with Issue 14 more than a year later.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Starfired

Now THIS is innovation.

Guild Wars 2? WvWvW? Dynamic Events? Please.

Good job Cryptic. This is really bringing the traditional DnD experience to the MMO genre. Be a Dungeon Master! Its a fantastic idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong..............Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 has done this before.

Though this is good news.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Apparently no one here has played STO. that will show you just what the foundry is really about, it's not about innovation, it's about creating a game with very little content and then allowing the community to do your job for you. That's hardly innovative.

Pretty much this.

Also, as a Cryptic/PWE game, players can expect very slow, if any game content updates that are not in the cash shop.

And you can bet there will be "treasure chest keys" or some other mechanic for sale in the cash shop allowing the same kind of shady "gambling-lite" that is going on in STO.

In the end, to these supposedly great "player made content options", I say: so what.

If the rest of the game is crap, like other Cryptic titles, and the same cash for scam elements are there, like in other Cryptic titles, then whatever else that might be potentially good is in there, makes absolutely no difference.

• mxbxmxbx Member Posts: 42
    Cryptic?  This is sure to flop.  Those models look flat out terrible. 
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    I want to say I am super keen to get into the foundry. But I must temper my enthusiasm due to a poor track record by the Developer.
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    And does all this foundry stuff helps, when all those level hungry players reach endlevel? It is just letting the community make the content for what they even have to pay. It's not innovative, it's greedy and totally uninspired. And it is soo Cryptic too
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    If you think of some of the best selling games of all time, or most liked, ALOT of them have content generators and a huge mod community.  Warcraft 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, etc.  Why do I have to have some dev I've never met tell me which quest to do.  I wanna make my own!  Let me get out my wallet...you can have everything in it :)

Edit: except my driver's license...I kinda need that, but if you want it you can have it too, Cryptic :(
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Now THIS is innovation.

Good job Cryptic. This is really bringing the traditional DnD experience to the MMO genre. Be a Dungeon Master! Its a fantastic idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong..............Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 has done this before.

NWN1 and 2 was NOT a persistent open-world mmo though.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by goemoe
    And does all this foundry stuff helps, when all those level hungry players reach endlevel? It is just letting the community make the content for what they even have to pay. It's not innovative, it's greedy and totally uninspired. And it is soo Cryptic too

Then maybe you should just go and study economics instead of playing games, then? There IS such a thing as playing FOR the content, you see. 

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Foundry sounds amazing, but how can a game be best in show based on a single innovation? How is the rest of the game? All of the custom content tools in the world won't matter if the game design/mechanics aren't solid.
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Yuui

Now THIS is innovation.

Not sure this is either.  Pretty sure is more lobby based.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is PW people.  I guarentee you, it will cost dearly to use the foundry.  They will find a way to part you from your money and it will not be a slight parting.  Sure great feature, horrible company.   Those don't mix.  Getting excited about this game is a path to major disappointment.  

This site should know that, shame on them for promoting this game when they know it will end up being a rip off.

Originally posted by grapevine

Now THIS is innovation.

no its not. 

Its a set of non-instanced persistent (possibly zoned by districts of the city) areas and instanced dungeons.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by grapevine

Now THIS is innovation.

no its not. 

Its a set of non-instanced persistent (possibly zoned by districts of the city) areas and instanced dungeons.

They must have changed direction then, as originally they tried to coin a new type of game (OMG - online multiplayer game) and stated it wouldn't be a MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It do sounds good. I am glad Atari sold Cryptic, this game was set up for a huge failure until PWE bought it.

PWEs weak point have always been the story and here we can do that part ourselves. Cryptics weak points have been coding and money making them throw out fast cheap games with bad code. PWEs games are well coded so lets just hope Cryptic got help with that part.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    lol quests. theyre so 80ies.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Now THIS is innovation.

one that has been used before a few times now (one example, STO), nothing invented. move along.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

OK, Cryptic is a studio I had written off after STO.

After reading this I am now interested in this project and will continue to follow it further.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

and even in sto its terrible and used mostly for farming so 

and to top that off it IS cryptic, one of the worst developers in the western hemosphere

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    It's Cryptic and I don't believe that since the sale to PWI that enough of a corporate cultural change has occurred to make this game worth while. It's still for all intensive purposes it's the same people that brought us CO and STO.  The infamous Cryptic hype machine is starting it's pre-sales roll, aided by the media. I like the foundry, the c-store structure will be the make or break on this game.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Definitely looks interesting, cryptic has proven to be good at customization thingies.

As for that last paragraph: I still think it will be exploited in some ways by players, there really is no way it wouldn't be when they find so many things to exploit in games that have been designed bottom-up by devs.

Still, it will be very interesting to see what people come up with!

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford
    Originally posted by rentantilus
    Someone has finally stumbled upon the perpetual motion machine for MMOs: Get the customers to create their own content. Bravo!

I know, right? What's the most expensive component of MMO development? Content creation. Let developers give the basic story and create the systems to give players tools to create even more. It's a win-win proposition!

The most expensive component of MMO development is asset creation such as all the artwork that goes into everything. But you are definately on the right path with content creation. Wizards of the Coasts figured this out a long time ago with original PnP D&D. Make the manuals, world, rules, dice, and sell little figurines and the players will do the rest.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

If the game is entirely free-2-play (no required sub fee, no box/software purchase), would it be such a bad thing to monetize the game in such a way to make a profit?

You get to experience a core scope of the game (albiet limited).  If you like the game, you sub for more features/content/foundry sets or you buy it a la cart.

I don't have to buy the software (awesome!).  If I truly enjoy the game, I can support the game in a way that best fits my intentions (purchases via a cash shop, sub fee or both).  I could care less about the "lottery boxes"... No one is forcing you to buy them (or the keys to open them).  They usually don't enhance or increase enjoyment in the game (with the exception of the min-maxers).

While I think there are many legitimate concerns over how cash shops are stocked... I do think some players expect a high quality, entirely free experience... 

Believe it or not, the gaming industry as a whole (not just MMOs) is going through a transition.  Games are becoming increasingly risky and expensive to make.  They're becoming exceptionally expensive to purchase.  That is why we're in the beginning of an indie renaissance in addition to the big publishers talking about f2p for all genres of games.