Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Top 5 Reasons to Cut Class

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We're not advocating skipping class, but if we were to do so... Garrett's got his list of five MMOs that are worth cutting for. Or in some cases, games that will help you ignore the lecture on Psych 101 quite well. Read on for this week's List.

So with college and school starting back up for everyone this week I thought I might go through some reasons to skip class.  I’m not saying it’s a good idea, but everyone needs a break now and again. Back in college I was notorious for missing classes, mostly because I was lazy. However, showing my age I once cut class to play a game of Civilization… the original. So for everyone gearing up to go back to school here are a few wonderful MMO and gaming hints to skip class and work and have some real fun.  Or maybe even just plain old stop paying attention, as a few of these titles are mobile-enabled.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The List: Top 5 Reasons to Cut Class.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Really Garrett,  Do you not think the upcoming generation is not already led astray by entertainment enough without one of the main gaming sites for the genre actively encouraging it.  This by far is the most ridiculous article I have ever read on here.

Kids ignore Garrett completely, focus on your studies not gaming,  your studies will define your entire life skipping a class to do a raid will not.

If your going to post waffle like this then at least have a disclaimer in there or do it with more sarcasm as Pokkets Fitness article was done.   That article you clearly see was tongue in cheek this is not.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by thamighty213

Really Garrett,  Do you not think the upcoming generation is not already led astray by entertainment enough without encouraging this.   This by far is the most ridiculous article I have ever read on here.

Kids ignore Garrett completely, focus on your studies not gaming,  your studies will define your entire life skipping a class to do a raid will not.

God man, be glad we aren't Japan at least! Dragon Quest doesn't just make kids skip classes, it cancels schools! When's the last time you've ever seen a country's government step up and tell a developer/publisher that they will be required to release their games on a weekend otherwise they can't release it at all?

Besides, with Order and Chaos Online (if i remember right) and the Minecraft pocket edition, you could play them in class. Just need a good spot.

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Really Garrett,  Do you not think the upcoming generation is not already led astray by entertainment enough without encouraging this.   This by far is the most ridiculous article I have ever read on here.

God man, be glad we aren't Japan at least! Dragon Quest doesn't just make kids skip classes, it cancels schools! When's the last time you've ever seen a country's government step up and tell a developer/publisher that they will be required to release their games on a weekend otherwise they can't release it at all?

Besides, with Order and Chaos Online (if i remember right) and the Minecraft pocket edition, you could play them in class. Just need a good spot.

And I fully support the asian models,  certain Korean games enforce a curfew on playtime and for korean games the equivelant of a social security/national insurance number is needed to verfiy age.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing similar in the west,   a 12 year old should not be staying up to midnight raiding when they have class the next day,  as so many parents don't give a rats ass these day's to police the kid's online time then perhaps the industry should.   We certainly shouldn't see the CM of one of the biggest western gaming sites encouraging gaming over education.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Weird columm. Why a topic on which games you should skip class for? I'm not even in school anymore, so this feels strange when reading.

Also, unless yuo really can afford too without causing great degree of problems, never skip class to go play an mmo.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing similar in the west,   a 12 year old should not be staying up to midnight raiding when they have class the next day,  as so many parents don't give a rats ass these day's to police the kid's online time then perhaps the industry should.   We certainly shouldn't see the CM of one of the biggest western gaming sites encouraging gaming over education.

And students should be forced to participate in various tests, including basic survival and general intellectually challenging games, such as mazes. If they should fail, they should immediately be put down - like dogs.

Yes, this sounds like the perfect way to rule people. Afterall, the government is not there to serve us, we're there to serve the government.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    The article is just being real with the times.. We all know kids do it, not just with mmo either.. New cod or hot console games gets released, act sick skip one day for that new or popular game..

It would be cool if games were released on a Thursday or Friday.. That being said, that's a good list of games, even though I haven't heard of #5 till now...
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    And here I thought this was 5 reasons to remove classes from MMOs lol.  Oh well another topic, another time.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    And here I thought this was 5 reasons to remove classes from MMOs lol.  Oh well another topic, another time.

Kinda what I was hoping for too....

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Take it from a guy who used to play video games for 70 hours a week; don't listen to this article.  In fact, play games less.  You'll be happier with your life.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by Treekodar

And students should be forced to participate in various tests, including basic survival and general intellectually challenging games, such as mazes. If they should fail, they should immediately be put down - like dogs.

Yes, this sounds like the perfect way to rule people. Afterall, the government is not there to serve us, we're there to serve the government.

No not at all but it makes sense to protect your future generations even if that means stepping in at a level like that.  Look at how much youth unemployment has risen in most EU countries and the US in the last decade whilst middle age and elder has actually dropped in a lot of cases.

Hey lets just encourage them to forsake education for video games though.  Should we have never introduced video and game ratings and allowed kids just to watch what they wanted etc theres many times our govt's step in to do what parents should be doing but aren't I see what Korea does in respect of some games as no different.    Society is getting stupid and thats not just a generalisation it really is,  exams are getting easier, education is getting worse but hey lets just encourage them to play games instead and spend their life on minimum wage.

I'm not saying every person who skips a class for games is going to end up that way but many do and what do they do when they are unemployable simply escape to fantasy by playing more games costing the rest of society a fortune in benefits.

The amount of "hardcore" mmo players that are simply living on benefits is obscene and Garrett's article is only serving to fuel the next generation of them.

I know a fair few guys who were bright people get caught up in the whole Ultima Online business,  dropping out of Uni to play it,  getting in £1000s of £ of debt with ISP's as back then the UK only really had bill per minute.   Some are still recovering from that debt now but guess what they do,  Yes sit and play MMO's instead of getting an underpaid job for how inteligent they are and inteligence wasted due to pissing the education years away on gaming.

Ask yourself this,   a kid is skipping class to smoke weed,  drink alcohol etc Would you actively encourage him to do or would you try to disuade him,   would you expect to see Jean Claude Van Damme come on an ad presenting the best 5 beers/spirits to drink whilst skipping class ?     This is no different.

2003-2004 I was one of those people so I do bleat on a little like a reformed alcoholic does,   I started skipping work to play SWG "One day wont hurt" 1 day turns to 2 2 turns to 3 before you know it your sacked.     That moment was a real wake up call to me,  I cut my hours right down got a new job and have been lucky to work my way to a CM position on a MMORPG and NEVER would I enourage my players irrespective of profit to the company to play over education in fact I have banned a few players for exam lead up at a parents request.   Each and every player has thanked me for it when exam results come in and 1 now works with me based on those results.
    Originally posted by TookyG
    Take it from a guy who used to play video games for 70 hours a week; don't listen to this article.  In fact, play games less.  You'll be happier with your life.

2003-2004 I was one of those people so I do bleat on a little like a reformed alcoholic does,   I started skipping work to play SWG "One day wont hurt" 1 day turns to 2 2 turns to 3 before you know it your sacked.     That moment was a real wake up call to me,  I cut my MMO hours right down got a new job and have been lucky to work my way to a CM position on a MMORPG and NEVER would I encourage my players irrespective of profit to the company to play over education in fact I have banned a few players for exam lead up at a parents request.   Each and every player has thanked me for it when exam results come in and 1 now works with me based on those results.

Never forsake, a job/education or fitness for a video game unless your after a life of minimum wage and heart attacks by 40.

Net going nuts double post
  • MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    MOP will be nice but Torchlight II will be the best reason not to do anything but click your little heart out.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    5 reasons to skip class

1 I'm 40 I would probably get arrested if I did go to class
    2 as above
    3 as above
    4 as above
    5 as above
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Well, I also thought this was going to be an article for why class should be removed from MMORPG's. As with the others I'm disappointed that you would spew out such pointless drivel onto the internet, sure, skip class if you want to grow up to be a C-Grade columnist on an internet website. 

The writer of this article is a inexcusable disgrace, and would do well to exile himself from humanity. Lest his foolish notions infect anymore minds...

Hi

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Really Garrett,  Do you not think the upcoming generation is not already led astray by entertainment enough without one of the main gaming sites for the genre actively encouraging it.  This by far is the most ridiculous article I have ever read on here.

If your going to post waffle like this then at least have a disclaimer in there or do it with more sarcasm as Pokkets Fitness article was done.   That article you clearly see was tongue in cheek this is not.

Er there was a disclaimer, he clearly said he did not recommend doing so, and I thought it was quite clear this was a tongue in cheek article.

There seems to be quite a few posters in this thread who missed that, are you the same folks that need warning labels on your coffee saying "danger, hot, may cause burns?"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

as a 16 year-old:

1. Play pool for free, I spent more days playing pool than learning useless things, because->

2. Fake parents signature to make all those useless missed hours moot

3. Learn the game well, make money from it

4. Graduate college

5. Realize you learned absolutely nothing at all that will help you in life from 3 years of college.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I lol'd

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

OT: The article was good for a chuckle, but the disclaimer needed to be a little more visable than just a little grey sentence at the top, not a lot of people read that part.

Still though, a fun read.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

The disclaimer is only on Suzies post so if you link to the article from facebook or wherever you come straight to the article.

Majorbiggs the thing is though we can see its intended tongue in cheek but in this age theres many who won't due to the more serious tone of the article as I mention earlier it written with a little more sarcasm as Pokkets fitness article was goes a long way.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Yes, a sick 'disclaimer' guys.  Not only is it dark grey against a blue blackground on a header that most people won't notice, it's also not a disclaimer as rhetoric advertising.

"We're not advocating smoking cigarettes, but if we were to do so... you should smoke *Cigarette Brand*. (That's right, I don't know any cigaretee brands, and I can't be bothered to google one)

Hi

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Actually I'm more interested in learning about Shakespeare, Plato and Philosophy 101 than the games on the list. Too bad I study Business & IT... Ah well, skipping class it is then ^^

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    A player that needs to skip class to play a game is probably one of those immature teenage trolls in game that annoys the hell everybody :P
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

My sarcasm detector is a little flakey, but this article makes my skin crawl. 

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Seriously? No Vanguard on the list?