Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: 'We Won't Back Down' - State of the Game Letter Arrives

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ragnar Tørnquist has published the August State of the Game letter for The Secret World. In it, he frankly addresses the recent Funcom lay offs as well as prognosticates about the future of TSW. Among other things, he tells fans that the team is not going to play it safe and is dedicated to keeping The Secret World today's most unique MMO.

So what's ahead in upcoming issues? There's a ten-person raid in New York scheduled for October, and it's not like any raid you've ever played before. We have a bunch of auxiliary weapons on the way, and more character customisation improvements. We have a huge and exciting new feature pencilled in for Christmas, which ties into the achievement system and gives a lot more meaning to the usual 'Kill 1,000 Vampires' goals. (After all, who hasn't wondered what it would be like to have some vampiric abilities to play around with?) We're creating intermediary decks with brand new clothing rewards; we have a ton of new missions and storylines in development; and we have a huge new adventure zone scheduled for next spring, bringing players back to Tokyo's Ground Zero, to face brand new threats, meet new characters, play new missions and explore an intriguing urban environment unlike anything you've ever seen in an MMO.

Read the full letter on The Secret World's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    sounds intresting now its jus to wait n c how it turns out :)
  • stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Cant wait til they put in rocket lunchers love blowing sh*t up.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Certainly a man with passion.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Did not read anything about improving horrible animations... is he improving horrible animations soon?
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    I'm glad I bought the lifetime for this :j
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Its so sad these guys are under a company that's on wall street..

The parent company had too high expectations (big sub numbers) for a game that was obvious was going to appeal a small part of the mmo market.

as such the parent company will want this game to go f2p to bring in more short term cash and there is nothing these guys can do to stop it, no matter how much content is delivered..
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Xstatic912

The parent company had too high expectations (big sub numbers) for a game that was obvious was going to appeal a small part of the mmo market.

as such the parent company will want this game to go f2p to bring in more short term cash and there is nothing these guys can do to stop it, no matter how much content is delivered..

well i have no objection with it goin f2p like most games these days..has long has they dont thin out the missions..i,e i want them to keep to the same format..if it helps i,m all for it.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

From a PR point of view... a terrible letter. It only speaks to its fans and is borderline condescending to everyone else.

Won't comment on the content as I'm really not interested... unless they bring in centaurs of course. /sarcasm

• OtheKOtheK Member UncommonPosts: 33
    you got my life-time subs. gz Ragnar and your team for what you done and what you plan to do, keep going ;)
  • xRaZAxxRaZAx Member Posts: 11

What are you talking about? Funcom is listed on Oslo børs.

Im a shareholder in Funcom. And there is no parent company.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by tryklon
    Did not read anything about improving horrible animations... is he improving horrible animations soon?

No, FunCom has no plans to implement a patch based solely on the personal opinions of a vocal minority.

The animations are fine.

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Thats very good to hear Ragnar:) Never give up Funcom!  I think TSW is great, and I will NEVER abandon it!!!
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't usually root for games. I figure if a game fails, the developer did something wrong and it the game should fail. Survival of the fittest and all that. With TSW though, I find myself wanting the game to recover. I don't even play the game. I have no interest in paying a sub and I have no interest in going from quest hub to quest hub and ending up in a repetitiveendgameraidgeargrind either, but I still would like this game to do better.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What quest hubs. Theres like one hub in the entire game, in the newbie zone.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by kevjards

well i have no objection with it goin f2p like most games these days..has long has they dont thin out the missions..i,e i want them to keep to the same format..if it helps i,m all for it.

'Course, it could go the way of CoX, and get shut down.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I don't usually root for games. I figure if a game fails, the developer did something wrong and it the game should fail. Survival of the fittest and all that. With TSW though, I find myself wanting the game to recover. I don't even play the game. I have no interest in paying a sub and I have no interest in going from quest hub to quest hub and ending up in a repetitiveendgameraidgeargrind either, but I still would like this game to do better.

This is the Irony of the situation.  This is why TSW is in the shape it's in. It's getting by but it's not storming the industry. Because it's a decent niche game. But nothing spectacular...Unless it's niche appeals to you. But unfortunately, that's not most. Sure there are plenty of people who want options in the market. Adn TSW offers one. It's always good for players to have the game of choice. 

But rooting from the sidelines watching on without participating isn't going to help the game. Not even remotely suggesting you should unless it's a game that appeals to you..just stating a fact) But TSW just lacks mass appeal.

But in the end.....I think TSW's biggest problem can be prefaced with "For the money.............."  Meaning, the game just doesn't deserve it's revenue model.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Well, they shouldn't have put it there. I got tired of it after the first few quests. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why a lot of people in the beta didn't buy the game. I would be surprised if the general feel of the game changed considerably after the newbie zone too. This update talks about a 10 man raid. It's a raid...one of the main reasons I've stopped playing MMORPG. Raids are too much on the OCD end of the spectrum. I need things closer to the ADD end of the spectrum.

In any event, I'm not going to buy the game and sign up for a sub to find out if the feeling of running through quest hubs goes away. I do want this game to do better than it has, but the setting and the story wasn't enough to overcome the feeling that I was just doing the same old things with different graphics.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Here's Another one of Funcom's issues. This is the same problem in all thir games. Why they make all their starter zone experiences different than the rest of their game on all their games is beyond me. I didn't play AoC (I've ony heard), but in AO, the Noob Island does not prepare you for what's ahead. It's totally different

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by lizardbones I don't usually root for games. I figure if a game fails, the developer did something wrong and it the game should fail. Survival of the fittest and all that. With TSW though, I find myself wanting the game to recover. I don't even play the game. I have no interest in paying a sub and I have no interest in going from quest hub to quest hub and ending up in a repetitiveendgameraidgeargrind either, but I still would like this game to do better.
    This is the Irony of the situation.  This is why TSW is in the shape it's in. It's getting by but it's not storming the industry. Because it's a decent niche game. But nothing spectacular...Unless it's niche appeals to you. But unfortunately, that's not most. Sure there are plenty of people who want options in the market. Adn TSW offers one. It's always good for players to have the game of choice. 

But rooting from the sidelines watching on without participating isn't going to help the game. Not even remotely suggesting you should unless it's a game that appeals to you..just stating a fact) But TSW just lacks mass appeal.

But in the end.....I think TSW's biggest problem can be prefaced with "For the money.............."  Meaning, the game just doesn't deserve it's revenue model.

Yeah, that's why I don't usually root for games. It doesn't really do anything. But the game doesn't feel like a good buy to me. I can recognize that it's a good game, it's just not a game I feel like I want to play. I would seriously consider playing without a subscription. I would definitely play if I could run my own personal server.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by tryklon

Yep, in october content patch the animations will be 33% more horrible.. :)

For the time being seem they're focusing their attention into making new content instead of tweaking the animations, and I do think it is what the game needs right now.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/10/view/forums/thread/308418/News-on-the-engine-upgrade.html

And you guys believe this company?

lol.

Considering they just laid off folks and are trying to maintain regular releases for their latest game, I'm not surprised they will delay the engine upgrade for AO. Let's face it, AO is not the current money maker (or even the potential money maker at this point), so it would be foolish for them to concentrate any of their resources on that game right now. TSW first and AoC second at this point, with a very small strike team focusing on the smaller, more micro-market MMO gaming field. Concentrating on core interest markets is the future of MMOs, and I think it's the right choice for Funcom. The days of big budget AAA MMOs are gone.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    "freedom from levels and classes"

I agree with ragnar on the latter, but levels, no, if anything "warring guilds" does that more than tsw.
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by kevjards
    Originally posted by Adiaris

From a PR point of view... a terrible letter. It only speaks to its fans and is borderline condescending to everyone else.

Won't comment on the content as I'm really not interested... unless they bring in centaurs of course. /sarcasm

oh wow.because someone likes a different game than your precious gw2..how many posts have you done bashing TSW..to me your just a troll..get over the fact that other people like different things.in one of your previous post you describe people has dumb.different people have different tastes..if your an adult you should know that.

Huh? I think you need to learn to read and I don't think troll means what y ou think it does. 

Also, I rarely comment the TSW forums, I don't like the game there's not much else to add to that. I always state (and since you've checked you should know,  "play whatever floats your boat"). I will however smack down posts that are filled with misinformation or hate-posts and such and don't really give a hoot one way or the other if you like "my precious GW2" or not. All that matters to me is that my friends, guild and I like it. 

In this specific case I'm talking about PR (as in public relations, ie my job). And as said, this is a bad letter to put out. Nowhere did I comment about any of its contents. If you don't get my line about the centaurs, and think it means something different than what I wrote, well then... I can't help ya out. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by lizardbones

That's my feeling too, though I did play it.

Where it hurts is that the biggest issues with the game IMO, a sizable number of buggy, broken quests(don't tell me I just don't know how to solve them, I do), are issues that I doubt dictated the lackluster box sales.  People just looked at the overall idea and sounded a collective "meh.".  Which sucks for me because I like the premise ALOT.

I do have to wonder if they turned alot of people off having box sales, a sub, AND a cash shop.