Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down Leveling

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

It is one of the tools Anet uses to give players the illusion of a huge game world.

By always down leveling your character they make sure that you can play in all the zones while in other MMOs you will start a new Race to go through the leveling experience of there starter zone GW2 allows you to do it all on 1 character since lvls are completely pointless.

The game does not have more content for you could always go into low lvl zones in any MMo and do the quests there but it would be pointless to do so.

It also is a mechanic to ensure that there game works as intended if you would go into low lvl areas as lvl 80 you could change the outcome of all the DE by yourself so Anet does not have a choice in this matter they limited there options greatly with the choices they made so now ppl have to be downscaled or there game would break.

It does kill any serious attempt to play this game as an RPG for me it is just stupid but like i already pointed out i do understand why they use the mechanic.

Some mentioned the possibilities to do dungeons regardless of your level and i somewhat agree with that...HOWEVER they could just have a lvl cap for dungeons only and it would have the same result and i actually do not see much sense in doing lvl 30 dungeons if i am lvl 80 that is unless the drops in this game are pointless anyway (i guess cosmetic items could be the carrot on the stick to do low lvl dungeons for some tho)

Have you actually played the game? It does have a huge amount of content. I have talked to lvl 80 players and many of them have only done or been 20-30% of all the content.

I guess you really don't understand the idea of downleveling. It is so you can play with lower level guildmates/players and NOT 'one shot' everything in sight. Basically, it is preventing powerleveling. It is also there to make the game a challenge, not make it a walk in the park.

Why don't you actually play the game before you have an opinion - you can then have an educated one.

image ' totally nailed it. People don't realize that the amount of content for all those expansions in WoW, is easily filled by the content in GW2. They basically came out with the same amount of content as vanilla, bc, wotlk, cata all in a single release. If that's any indication of the level of content their expansions will have in future releases no one has anything to worry about. 

It's not like these people released only up to level 50 content to rush out a title at the last minute to maintain their impatient investors interests. yeah.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Honner
    Originally posted by freston
    Originally posted by swtorfan

It just makes me frustrated that i am unable to get past several of the class quests.

Thanks for your opinion.

Try doing them with some buddies. I think the personal story cant be soloed at some spots.

What lvl of story? image

Norn lvl 11 Rumors of Trouble A lot of players had a very hard time with this one and out of all the norn story i done so far this was the only one where players where asking for help to do it it may or may not be a bug or it is just set to hard

as for as the rest i love to craft and the down lvevling is a key part of that as most every thing need some low lvl matt to be used so i can go to low lvl zones and get the matts i need and styill have it be fun

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

What is everyone's thought on the Down Leveling?

My opinion is it sucks.. Everyone has a right to feel the way they feel but when i have a very hard time doing quest and go out to level up one more level just to go back to finish a hard quest to find out i am being down leveled that really pissed me off and that is why i have stopped playing for now.

Not that i hate the game because it is a nice game just not the type of game for me.

So what is everyone's opinion on the down leveling?

If WoW had down-levelling, I might go back and play it too because there is so much content I missed, it spoiled it by how fast you level. 

Down levelling is a great way to future-proof a game IMHO.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    As long as the down leveling isn't too severe. I want to still have an advantage in that area. No more than 4 levels higher than the area? I worked hard to level, I want to feel powerful.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

What is everyone's thought on the Down Leveling?

My opinion is it sucks.. Everyone has a right to feel the way they feel but when i have a very hard time doing quest and go out to level up one more level just to go back to finish a hard quest to find out i am being down leveled that really pissed me off and that is why i have stopped playing for now.

Not that i hate the game because it is a nice game just not the type of game for me.

So what is everyone's opinion on the down leveling?

very good idea imo. this way they increased the content by miles :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Its what makes the game amazing for me. I love that I can go anywhere at any level and not just one shot things, as well as getting XP for it rather than having everything 'greyed out' like in other games.

I always hated in MMOs when I would outlevel stuff and could just walk around previously hostile areas while skipping around while the monsters just look at me in awe.

Nope complete opposite for me, its the best feature!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by MercAngel
    Originally posted by Honner
    Originally posted by freston

It just makes me frustrated that i am unable to get past several of the class quests.

Thanks for your opinion.

Try doing them with some buddies. I think the personal story cant be soloed at some spots.

What lvl of story? image

Norn lvl 11 Rumors of Trouble A lot of players had a very hard time with this one and out of all the norn story i done so far this was the only one where players where asking for help to do it it may or may not be a bug or it is just set to hard

as for as the rest i love to craft and the down lvevling is a key part of that as most every thing need some low lvl matt to be used so i can go to low lvl zones and get the matts i need and styill have it be fun

It's a MMO, I am sure there is someone you can find who is willing to help you out.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by gieger808
    As long as the down leveling isn't too severe. I want to still have an advantage in that area. No more than 4 levels higher than the area? I worked hard to level, I want to feel powerful.

you will be at the same lvl of that area so the normal lvl of the mobs are 15 you will be 15 it does not inclued up leveling of the mobs in DE's so if a lot of players show up for a DE's and the mobs get up leveled to say 17 you will stay at 15. but you have the skills,  weapons and armor of the level you are so you do have an advantage over a turn lvl 15

lets say you lvl 30 and you go back and do a lvl 15 DE you are downleved to lvl 15 but when you get to the boss and most player know that most of the boss's can one hit. so a turn lvl 15 will get one hit by the boss but you down leveld from 30 will ot get on hit now yes you will loss a lot of health but will now go down.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by MercAngel.

you will be at the same lvl of that area so the normal lvl of the mobs are 15 you will be 15 it does not inclued up leveling of the mobs in DE's so if a lot of players show up for a DE's and the mobs get up leveled to say 17 you will stay at 15. but you have the skills,  weapons and armor of the level you are so you do have an advantage over a turn lvl 15

lets say you lvl 30 and you go back and do a lvl 15 DE you are downleved to lvl 15 but when you get to the boss and most player know that most of the boss's can one hit. so a turn lvl 15 will get one hit by the boss but you down leveld from 30 will ot get on hit now yes you will loss a lot of health but will now go down.

Yeah, mainly because you have better gear but also because you are specced with a lot more point than the 5 point a lvl 15 have. Not to mention that you have your elite skill unlocked while the lvl 15 dude only have 2 utility skills.

My thief guild thieves will make my DPS 3 times that of a lvl 15 at least. :)

Nothing in a game suxs as much as grey content.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Wow, as I was typing this I realize I like it and though I was thinking of some other ways to handle it, I don't want the system to be abused. :P I'm cool with it
  • CorvenDallasCorvenDallas Member UncommonPosts: 41
    The best feature, I used to roam around low level areas in Wow to do old quest, but as I was way too high level it was a boring experience, I think it would be a nice feature for Warcraft too, a lot of nice content is undervalored.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I really like it, though I CAN see it becoming annoying 6 months down the line.

It adds greatly to the replayability of the game, I've been leveling mostly in areas that are actually too low for me, just because I wanted to complete things, this wouldn't have been possible without starting to one shot everything otherwise.

At max level, you can actually return to things and possibly explore some new events while gathering resources or helping out others.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I like it because it doesn't make zones obsolete once you finish them.  
  • XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Mannish
    They should have done what FFXIV Reborn is doing and thats giving you the option to down level when you want to down level. Good idea but like many others poorly executed.

Option would let high level idiots spoil the fun for everyone else, like in other games. Its good the way it is.

Personal story is another thing. I dont see a reason not to have it optional.

I agree, I realized this when I was going to say we should have the options, but it will cause for people to be able to spoil the fun. I agree we should be able to choose to down level or not with Personal story though. 

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    As long as I'm getting experience and items for my real level, I like it. Much better than only +10 achievement points zerging quests in Redrige Mountains for stupid Colors Tabards...
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    I love it....plus it makes it that much harder for power-levelling services.
  • drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192
    i dont mind the idea of downleveling but it is way better then changing into a chicken

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

It kills the entire point of RPG system, i.e., improving your character and feeling the growth of your powers compared the environment and PvE. 

If the difficulty scales to your power, there is no need to have RPG system in place. 

People who like it are generally coming from the FPS games.

People who dislike it are generally coming from the RPG genre.

REALITY CHECK

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I love it, it keeps the challenge from bottoming out. I can get as high as I want but that level 20 boss type mod isn't going to get any easier. WHen I find a really good fight I can come back as many times as I want regardless of level and still find a bit of challenge in it. 

For me thats whats going to keep replay value high and aid the longevity of the game. You can't call your level 80 buddy over to face roll the area. And if you call in friends a lot of places will up the challenge to account for this lol. 

This is awesome as far as I'm concerned. 

And this is comming from someone who is mainly an RPG'er. 

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    They should have done what FFXIV Reborn is doing and thats giving you the option to down level when you want to down level. Good idea but like many others poorly executed.

Not sure I agree. A person who chose not to downlevel can still trivialize content for lowbies who are not inherently playing cooperatively with him. Unless FFXIV has a system in place to prevent this, it's still a poor execution.

In any mmo high levels can go to the low level area if they choose and trivialize content for lower levels but they dont do it. They dont because they gain nonthing from doing it. Having the choice is just better. Everquest 2's system is similar.

They dont? Please people have been griefing low level players since the day I started Ultima Online. To say people do not go and do it is ignoring reality. In games where it can be done it has been done. Its the reason i quit Lineage 2 the first week I started. I could not even play in the starter area without being griefed by higher level characters.

This system is great for me because when I want to join my brohter I am not forced to keep a character at his level. All my characters can be his level.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I personally don't really like it except for the story areas and I assume dungeons.  If I just want to gather mats, I should be able to just go by the low level mobs without having to fight them all.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I personally don't really like it except for the story areas and I assume dungeons.  If I just want to gather mats, I should be able to just go by the low level mobs without having to fight them all.

I dont mind fighting them because a lot of my mats come from mobs. I see your point but for me killing mobs is getting mats in many cases. Especially blood. I get quite a few from the small and tiny bags some mobs carry that you have to open.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

It is one of the tools Anet uses to give players the illusion of a huge game world.

By always down leveling your character they make sure that you can play in all the zones while in other MMOs you will start a new Race to go through the leveling experience of there starter zone GW2 allows you to do it all on 1 character since lvls are completely pointless.

The game does not have more content for you could always go into low lvl zones in any MMo and do the quests there but it would be pointless to do so.

It also is a mechanic to ensure that there game works as intended if you would go into low lvl areas as lvl 80 you could change the outcome of all the DE by yourself so Anet does not have a choice in this matter they limited there options greatly with the choices they made so now ppl have to be downscaled or there game would break.

It does kill any serious attempt to play this game as an RPG for me it is just stupid but like i already pointed out i do understand why they use the mechanic.

Some mentioned the possibilities to do dungeons regardless of your level and i somewhat agree with that...HOWEVER they could just have a lvl cap for dungeons only and it would have the same result and i actually do not see much sense in doing lvl 30 dungeons if i am lvl 80 that is unless the drops in this game are pointless anyway (i guess cosmetic items could be the carrot on the stick to do low lvl dungeons for some tho)

Have you actually played the game? It does have a huge amount of content. I have talked to lvl 80 players and many of them have only done or been 20-30% of all the content.

I guess you really don't understand the idea of downleveling. It is so you can play with lower level guildmates/players and NOT 'one shot' everything in sight. Basically, it is preventing powerleveling. It is also there to make the game a challenge, not make it a walk in the park.

Why don't you actually play the game before you have an opinion - you can then have an educated one.

I did and am still playing the game yes.

I also am not just blindly praising everything which (at least in my opinion) makes me the one with the more educated opinion....

I am all for a lvl cap feature as long as the game does not force it on me (but i already explained why Anet does not really have a choice in that matter)

Like the lvl Sync in FF11 i join a pt and can sync my lvl and equip down to a lower lvl player i now can play with them as a low lvl cause i want to not cause i have to.

On a side note would i like to mention that a lot of the content (map completion) is nothing more but fake content again. 

Like the viewpoints is that really content?? Do i gain anything by visiting them? (well the ones with much climbing/jumping involved may count as jumping content)

But overall do i not see anything i did not see before i was at that point (and actually activated it).

I don't say GW2 does not have much content all i said is that with this kind of lvl cap system they give the illusion of actually having more.

Btw if my level does not mean anything since i will get caped down all the time why even bothering with a lvl mechanic?

Why not just lvl cap me up to high lvl zones i mean if the lvl means nothing anyway lets just get it done right and not stop halfway.

Maybe its just me but i want my hours of gaming/lvling to matter i want my lvls to mean something.

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

IMO downscaling makes you painfully aware you are playing a game and are not living in a world.

It really - for me - is an immersion-breaking mechanic.

I understand all the reasons why they did it, but still....

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by geremady

IMO downscaling makes you painfully aware you are playing a game and are not living in a world.

It really - for me - is an immersion-breaking mechanic.

I understand all the reasons why they did it, but still....

Your post made me think about this idea, and I actually think the exact opposite of you. In my mind, I see it as more realistic.

In the real world, better fighters (higher level in game terms) don't really have more health points. If I shoot a guy in the heart, it doesn't matter what his HP is, he's dead. What better fighters have is more skills; a bigger bag of tricks. They know how to punch, so they hit harder. All these things are true in GW2 downleveling; similar HP to everyone at that level, but more everything else.