Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] Neverwinter: PAX 2012 Best in Show - Here's Why

Comments

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon
    Hm, aren't 90% of all Skyrim mods useless trash and buggy? So why should I be so excited about that? Not so sure. Might be good, might be bad. I hope to see a considerable part of Faerun 4e world, it has changed quite a lot. Alas "Neverwinter" sounds more like a very tiny area with many instanced dungeons. Hmmm.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Nooo, AKPosts: 1,781Member

Will the modding community actually embrace it though?

And will Cryptic make a core game that is actually fun?

Star Trek's ground combat, for instance, is not fun.

Champions Online is... marginally fun.

Even with custom missions, those two games aren't all that fun at their core.

I'm still not sold on this idea, even if its it is a sound concept. I'm fine with customers making game content. I'm just not confident in the developers actually developing a fun game.

• SiiionSiiion Old Forge, PAPosts: 69Member
    This sounds great but how complex can it get? Is there a way to change mob mechanics and add in 'boss' type scenarios that require multiple people to accomplish?
  • SiiionSiiion Old Forge, PAPosts: 69Member
    Will player content be able to formulate boss mobs with complex mechanics?
  • zaylinzaylin Olympia, WAPosts: 789Member

City of Heros did a similar thing too, cant remeber if cryptic was still involved when it was implemented,the idea is still very cool :^) LOL i miss running games >.0

• hehenephehenep Charlottesville, VAPosts: 221Member Uncommon
    Cryptic left City of Heroes after Issue 10 was released.  The Mission Architect was released with Issue 14 more than a year later.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Starfired

Now THIS is innovation.

Guild Wars 2? WvWvW? Dynamic Events? Please.

Good job Cryptic. This is really bringing the traditional DnD experience to the MMO genre. Be a Dungeon Master! Its a fantastic idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong..............Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 has done this before.

Though this is good news.

• BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,948Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Apparently no one here has played STO. that will show you just what the foundry is really about, it's not about innovation, it's about creating a game with very little content and then allowing the community to do your job for you. That's hardly innovative.

Pretty much this.

Also, as a Cryptic/PWE game, players can expect very slow, if any game content updates that are not in the cash shop.

And you can bet there will be "treasure chest keys" or some other mechanic for sale in the cash shop allowing the same kind of shady "gambling-lite" that is going on in STO.

In the end, to these supposedly great "player made content options", I say: so what.

If the rest of the game is crap, like other Cryptic titles, and the same cash for scam elements are there, like in other Cryptic titles, then whatever else that might be potentially good is in there, makes absolutely no difference.

• mxbxmxbx Honolu, HIPosts: 42Member
    Cryptic?  This is sure to flop.  Those models look flat out terrible. 
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Adelaide, AKPosts: 953Member
    I want to say I am super keen to get into the foundry. But I must temper my enthusiasm due to a poor track record by the Developer.
  • goemoegoemoe HannoverPosts: 183Member Uncommon
    And does all this foundry stuff helps, when all those level hungry players reach endlevel? It is just letting the community make the content for what they even have to pay. It's not innovative, it's greedy and totally uninspired. And it is soo Cryptic too
  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    If you think of some of the best selling games of all time, or most liked, ALOT of them have content generators and a huge mod community.  Warcraft 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, etc.  Why do I have to have some dev I've never met tell me which quest to do.  I wanna make my own!  Let me get out my wallet...you can have everything in it :)

Edit: except my driver's license...I kinda need that, but if you want it you can have it too, Cryptic :(
  • YuuiYuui KaunasPosts: 723Member
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Now THIS is innovation.

Good job Cryptic. This is really bringing the traditional DnD experience to the MMO genre. Be a Dungeon Master! Its a fantastic idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong..............Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 has done this before.

NWN1 and 2 was NOT a persistent open-world mmo though.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by goemoe
    And does all this foundry stuff helps, when all those level hungry players reach endlevel? It is just letting the community make the content for what they even have to pay. It's not innovative, it's greedy and totally uninspired. And it is soo Cryptic too

Then maybe you should just go and study economics instead of playing games, then? There IS such a thing as playing FOR the content, you see. 

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TalinTalin West Babylon, NYPosts: 824Member
    Foundry sounds amazing, but how can a game be best in show based on a single innovation? How is the rest of the game? All of the custom content tools in the world won't matter if the game design/mechanics aren't solid.
  • grapevinegrapevine PeterboroughPosts: 1,927Member
    Originally posted by Yuui

Now THIS is innovation.

Not sure this is either.  Pretty sure is more lobby based.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon

It is PW people.  I guarentee you, it will cost dearly to use the foundry.  They will find a way to part you from your money and it will not be a slight parting.  Sure great feature, horrible company.   Those don't mix.  Getting excited about this game is a path to major disappointment.  

This site should know that, shame on them for promoting this game when they know it will end up being a rip off.

Originally posted by grapevine

Now THIS is innovation.

no its not. 

Its a set of non-instanced persistent (possibly zoned by districts of the city) areas and instanced dungeons.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member

Paying a sub fee for the "privilege" of doing most of the devs work for them. Cryptic, you ARE the Scam King. lol

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

• grapevinegrapevine PeterboroughPosts: 1,927Member
    Originally posted by grapevine

Now THIS is innovation.

no its not. 

Its a set of non-instanced persistent (possibly zoned by districts of the city) areas and instanced dungeons.

They must have changed direction then, as originally they tried to coin a new type of game (OMG - online multiplayer game) and stated it wouldn't be a MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,030Member Uncommon

It do sounds good. I am glad Atari sold Cryptic, this game was set up for a huge failure until PWE bought it.

PWEs weak point have always been the story and here we can do that part ourselves. Cryptics weak points have been coding and money making them throw out fast cheap games with bad code. PWEs games are well coded so lets just hope Cryptic got help with that part.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member

http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1876

"Still, Neverwinter was once a very popular franchise, and many gamers remember that. As such, the new Neverwinter won't be like a traditional free-to-play MMORPG. According to Perfect World, it won't be quite like traditional MMORPGs at all. Jack Emmert, Cryptic Studios' COO, once told MaximumPC, "It's not an MMO in the sense that there aren't zones with hundreds-and-hundreds of people. You are not fighting for spawns. There's a very strong storyline throughout the game. So it's more of a story-based game closer to things like Dragon Age or Oblivion, which we really try to follow.""

There you have it. it's not an mmo. It's just a rehash of the old Neverwinter Nights game with a cash shop thrown in. At least the original Neverwinter Nights you paid for the box and that was it. It's just more of this current developer trend of "How can we monetize singleplayer games?" .

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

• lathaanlathaan viennaPosts: 475Member Uncommon
    lol quests. theyre so 80ies.
  • ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,232Member Uncommon

Now THIS is innovation.

one that has been used before a few times now (one example, STO), nothing invented. move along.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon

OK, Cryptic is a studio I had written off after STO.

After reading this I am now interested in this project and will continue to follow it further.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon