Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

Comments

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Your poll is rigged to paint GW2 in a bad light. I wouldn't pay a monthly subscription for GW2, but it's not because I don't think it's not good enough for one. It's because I will no longer pay a subscription fee for MMORPG's that aren't virtual world simulator type games. GW2 IS worth a subscription fee compared to other games on the market that still has them. It offers much more of what I like to see than other games.

There aren't rampant bugs from my experience the way you put it, but there are some problems that would affect my decision to subscribe if I was inclined to subscribe to a themepark game.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i feel so sorry for these who pay monthly subs for games like WoW ,etc

i love so much EVE, but i cant stand its monthly fee, its killing my joy for the game... once i was paying monthly fees but that killed my joy and forced me to grind like a mad dog... no more monthly fees

i play World of Tanks, i like it, if there is any good update i buy some real money coins just for their work ...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Karteli

Well SWTOR had a monthly fee, and tickets would generate a canned response or just go unanswered.  Some tickets would just sit and after a week or so, just time out and disappear.  Either that or the customer service rep got to work and saw they had 10 thousand tickets assigned to them for that day .. and they were like, man thats too much work .. delete .. delete ... delete ... delete ... delete.. delete...

My friend called the SWTOR customer "service" several times.  He said he got an Indian dude who knew absolutely nothing about the game and didn't help him at all.  His questions went unanswered for weeks, so he just dropped the game.  Was about time, IMO, he wasn't really enjoying himself.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by Mannish

Dunno if you'll ever read this... but what he said wasn't correct..

Why explore a cave?  Easy... DE's, POI, Vista etc..

This game isn't for the people who want to just kill stuff.  You get a lot of your xp from exploring.

This game is actually not for explorers. The world isn't interesting enough. It is not EXPLORING if you just FOLLOW your mark on the map to the nearest VISTA. That's just blindly following a quest tracker or vista tracker in this matter. 

Exploration is if you're actually not following your map to the next vista, Exploration is if you go off the path, which is impossible in GW2, because GW2 has some attraction on every step (anti-exploration) and you can't really find anything special, which wouldn't be marked on the map already before you discovered it. GW2 world is too small and too filled up with all these mini attractions, which can be seen on your map long before you actually discover them.

REALITY CHECK

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Let me see,why would I explore that cave over there?

Maybe because it has a chest with loot?

Yeah, I like my shinnies.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Thillian

This game is actually not for explorers. The world isn't interesting enough. It is not EXPLORING if you just FOLLOW your mark on the map to the nearest VISTA. That's just blindly following a quest tracker or vista tracker in this matter. 

Exploration is if you're actually not following your map to the next vista, Exploration is if you go off the path, which is impossible in GW2, because GW2 has some attraction on every step (anti-exploration) and you can't really find anything special, which wouldn't be marked on the map already before you discovered it. GW2 world is too small and too filled up with all these mini attractions, which can be seen on your map long before you actually discover them.

if you play the game press "H" and then look at achievments at the explore section, and count how many achievments are for secret jumping quests which are not in the map, and for each one you need at least 1 hour if you dont read spoil-guides about them, ah yes there is no indication for these in your map ^^

This game isn't for the people who want to just kill stuff.  You get a lot of your xp from exploring.

AKA "I haven't actually explored so I missed the loot chests that don't show on the mini map and other mini bosses/mini dungeons so I'll just say you can't explore in GW2".

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I agree with this, I have finished every area I have been in, I am just about to hit level 78 and have nearly 40% of the content complete ( as per the map statistic ), and I must say that there is no real exploration, apart from the "find where the jumping puzzle is", sure you can explore but most of the time is just to go to a vista so you can complete the area, there really isnt anything interesting when you get there, 10% of the time you will find the odd event or some random veteran mob, the other 90% is just get the vista/poi and get back to the places where there are DEs and hearts going on.

And mind you some vistas must have been made by some intern, honestly, I have found a couple worth watching, but some, jesus christ when its like 15 seconds of looking at a wall or something, really bad camera angles. 

I must say tho, the events have improved somewhat since about lvl 65, they have become a bit more challenging and I have actually encountered longer DE chains that make more sense, rather than the isolated kill the centaurs. The ice dragon was also pretty damn epic, so I am getting a bit more excited again about DEs.

What they should have done is make it so that all the hearts and vistas and skill points are totally invisible on the map unless you talk to a scout or in some way select the option to reveal them.  It would have pleased both crowds.
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    What they should have done is make it so that all the hearts and vistas and skill points are totally invisible on the map unless you talk to a scout or in some way select the option to reveal them.  It would have pleased both crowds.

You can always press the button in the left bottom corner of the map to disablewhatever you want.

But clearly, from the posts in here it is clear people haven't been exploring and finding treasure chests and mini bosses/mini dungeons/hidden jumping puzzles.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Eir_S

You can always press the button in the left bottom corner of the map to disablewhatever you want.

But clearly, from the posts in here it is clear people haven't been exploring and finding treasure chests and mini bosses/mini dungeons/hidden jumping puzzles.

I doubt it.  Most people aren't used to finding hidden things in MMOs.. they're usually very straightforward, almost hand-holdingly awful in that sense.  If you're able to disable certain map objectives, that should be a good enough answer for some people... at least as good as the tried and true "Well if PvE is too easy, wear crappy armor" response.  Take that for what it's worth to you personally.  Everyone wants the game to play itself for them nowadays.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Has anyone spent in Gems/Upgrades what you would spend in a sub fee?

I read people here saying they spent 2-3 months worth of subs, but its understandable though.

I just wonder after all the upgrades are upgraded, what else there is left to buy.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    I don't understand why anyone wouuld pay monthly for WoW when they can play GW2 for free. I just don't get it...
  • DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
    What is this mysterious thing called monthly fee?
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

To answer title question:

Honestly, no.

I am playing tho and enjoying atm for what it is - Themepark 1.7

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I would like to see the PvE side of the game to the end.

WvW / sPvP doesn't appeal to me in this game.

TSW offers so much more for the subscription that I most likely dropped GW2 if it had a sub.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Nope, i treat GW2 like i do to GW1

casually play.

• MaxmmoMaxmmo Member Posts: 10
    id rather pay for a sub and get everything upfront. meaning WoW, EQ2 games like that give content between expansions, no sub means no real content till next expansion. i hate these free to play games with cash shops that sell dumb sh*t its a slap in the face to players and i am sick of it. EQ2 and WoW have sh*t they sell also but for example with EQ2 if u decide to buy suit of cosmetic looking gear you can use it no mater what gear you have on. Free to Play is over rated and GW2 is a joke.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Nope. Combat feels a bit to clunky and boring to me. Over-all its okay but its not sub worthy to me at all. *Goes back to following a zerg, hitting 1 and afking*
  • sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

Dude this game is so for Exploreres.Ive spent this last weekend exploring.Not looking for the Vistas.Just seeing what zones are what and whatt they look like and they are so good looking its rediculous.Ive found zones I shouldnt be in and nearly got my self killed there but man it was fun just seeing the scenery.I dont know if you truly know what exploration means.You can come over a hill and find anything from a Centaur base lobbing Catapults too a swamp filled with Undead, Castles, Towns and ruins everywhere..Not for explorers are you kidding me?

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Nope, I dont play sub games

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Honestly, no.  My time dealing with subscription MMOs are pretty much over. I am totally OVER feeling that pressure to get your money's worth of playtime. I always liked the LoTR style cash shop that GW2 modelled theirs after. It never felt intrusive or like it was ripping you off like 99% of other cash shops. I have no regrets with the monthly fees I've paid over the years, I got plenty of value entertainment with WoW, EQ2, Rift and others, but the genre has been really stagnant and GW2 pretty much set a new bar for me. MMORPGs from now on have to be pretty damned *exceptional* and push the genre forward in big ways to justify a subscription fee for me. (And the only other ones that seem to be doing that is ArcheAge off the top of my head.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Probably not to be honest.

Mainly because my RL friends are kinda not playing GW2 anymore. Most actually are gearing up for the 'holiday' releases that are coming out with Madden leading the way.

Then its Tekken Tag2, then its Torchlight 2 then its DOA5 + WoW Cata then its NFS, FiFA, COD, BF etc etc

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I'm pretty addicted right now. Way more addicted than I was to SWTOR at this stage. This harkens back to things like DAOC for me. 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah, what's a sub fee. I spend 10 times that on beer.