Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down Leveling

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    For Griefing purposes this is one of my fav things about gw2, However no lvl 5 drake can kill me unless im lvl 1 underwater with no weapons skills. Or i'm afk and some gm wants to have fun and spawns one on me.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by swtorfan

It just makes me frustrated that i am unable to get past several of the class quests.

Thanks for your opinion.

Bring help! Thats what I do, bring a friend for some ownage.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by Mannish
    They should have done what FFXIV Reborn is doing and thats giving you the option to down level when you want to down level. Good idea but like many others poorly executed.

Not sure I agree. A person who chose not to downlevel can still trivialize content for lowbies who are not inherently playing cooperatively with him. Unless FFXIV has a system in place to prevent this, it's still a poor execution.

In any mmo high levels can go to the low level area if they choose and trivialize content for lower levels but they dont do it. They dont because they gain nonthing from doing it. Having the choice is just better. Everquest 2's system is similar.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    They should have done what FFXIV Reborn is doing and thats giving you the option to down level when you want to down level. Good idea but like many others poorly executed.

Not sure I agree. A person who chose not to downlevel can still trivialize content for lowbies who are not inherently playing cooperatively with him. Unless FFXIV has a system in place to prevent this, it's still a poor execution.

In any mmo high levels can go to the low level area if they choose and trivialize content for lower levels but they dont do it. They dont because they gain nonthing from doing it. Having the choice is just better. Everquest 2's system is similar.

I actually had a huge problem with this in WoW, Aion, and RO. People farming nodes and named mobs for thier rare items and resources. Saying that they don't because you didn't doesn't quite make it true. However I'm glad you didn't. Lets hope reborn still has that feature for you thou when it comes out.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I hate it.  It will porobably drive me to quit playing.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

By my experience, people who backtrack lower level areas don't generally just go there for the kicks or to annoy lowbies.

1.) They're farming for mats, trying to level crafting, which they incidentally left out until level cap.

2.) They're boosting a friend or guildie. Not neccessarily solved by asking to join them, because then you'll be sucked into the same pace as them (which is relatively faster than a real lowbie would have taken). In the end it still ruins lowbie experience.

3.) To gank lowbies (not applicable to GW2)

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55

Yes, but if they didn't downlevel then higher leveled players would be farming karma on low-level DEs.  The lowbies in the area wouldn't even get a shot off.  

Originally posted by Weretigar

I actually had a huge problem with this in WoW, Aion, and RO. People farming nodes and named mobs for thier rare items and resources. Saying that they don't because you didn't doesn't quite make it true. However I'm glad you didn't. Lets hope reborn still has that feature for you thou when it comes out.

Never really played any those games so I cant really say much about them but gathering crafting mats should be done by anybody. It gives people reason to go back to places that they have been which adds to the exploration factor. As for farming named mobs if a game rewards high level players for killing low level mobs then its just bad game design.

Originally posted by Spartan212

Yes, but if they didn't downlevel then higher leveled players would be farming karma on low-level DEs.  The lowbies in the area wouldn't even get a shot off.  

If they choose not to down level then they gain nonthing from it. Like I said, Everquest 2 has a similar system.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    one of the games best features IMHO.. keeps all content relevant and any future content releveant.. say in 6 months they add a new level 30 dungeon well guess what my level 80 can go their and still have a challenge.. for me it's one of the best things about this game... oh also helping out my friends of lower level and not facerolling everything is nice as well..:)

Indeed, the whole level-scaling thing is one of the best features. OP is complaining about down-scaling, but I don't hear him complaining about up-scaling for Wv3. 1st time I went to Wv3 I was wondering how I could survive as a mere level 20. Up-scaling was the answer. For down-scaling it's the reason you already gave. I don't have to roll an alt to enjoy the challenge an (unexplored) area gives. Now I can just go there on my main...

• EmanioAmorEmanioAmor Member Posts: 7

At first i hated the down leveling but found it to be really awesome for a challenge. I remember considering myself OP after i found some good drops sporting a elite wep thinkin i'd go run bandit cave in the lowly areas, got ganged so bad and owned.I turned the game off  and stared at my desktop,i dont remember much after that.=(.

Came back the next day with a decent group  and really enjoyed myself, i'm not sure why i enjoy running some quests over and over with different people.I consider myself a real loner in these MMOs but i find myself talking to people more simply because the crowd is also nicer. I'll actually try to save downed players instead of walking over their corpse to save myself. I'll fight for them simply cus they'd do the same for me. 

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Man, was I intentionally skipped by Mannish? :D

I don't recall playing a MMO where mobs don't drop crafting materials. That includes the current FFXIV. Not sure about 2.0 though.

Also, is there no player boosting going on in any MMO you've played? Have you never experienced this before?

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I got to 80 pretty fast,  when i got there i only had 38% map completion, without downleveling i would miss 62% of the game on my main charicter.  i love that i dont have to make an alt or start from scatch to see everything.  and i am much more powerful in a 30 zone now then i was when i was 30
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I'm enjoying the downleveing myself. I have a friend that just joined in a day or so ago and I was at least 20 levels above him. I went back to the Human starting zone and was able to have a different run at things. My character is Norn so I get to be the odd ball giant amongst the zergs most times.

With this I was able to play and slow down my leveling just a bit (I don't really mind cause I'm playing with a friend) and at the same time he's able to level with no problem and is slowly closing the gap between us.. Mind you that I'm still progressing myself at the same time. I'm able to get decent XP from DE's even the lowlevel ones.

Also with me coming into contact with more of the lower level mats. I can also craft to keep up my level progression and keep myself somewhat relevant with gear as far as stuff I might be running into if I was in a zone at my actual level.

But it seems to be working as they intended for the most part.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Just think about how much easier it would be to grief in GW2 compared to other games.

In WoW, how do you grief by going to a lower level friendly zone? You'd have to follow that one guy around, stealing all of his kills. In GW2, you'd simply go to any nearby event and AoE everything before anyone in the area has a chance to attack. Even if you don't get anything back, you've inconvenienced dozens of people with minimal effort. It's just way too easy to grief without downscaling.

Don't forget that quests wait for you, but events do not. A high level player can't ruin your quests. He can only delay them. In GW2, events can be ruined without downscaling because if you're denied the event when it comes up, you'll just have to find another one.

And even without the intention of griefing, players would be powerleveling their friends through low level content, ruining the events (mostly by utterly removing any challenge and therefore fun) of anyone who happens to be nearby.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Think it's the best answer to the problem of playing with other friends and to keep other players from coming through an area and trolling the area. Yeah we still have Dbags that do that. 

So exactly what's wrong with it anyways? Are you sad that you can't one shot anything in the game? I've reached level 30 on a support class and i don't have that issue. Almost everything low level is no match for me now. Did you die because you didn't dodge or use your self heal at the right time?

cause i'd really like to know the REAL reason you posted this.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Best single feature in GW2 by far. I would love to see this kind of system to be implemented in every single MMO out there. Trivializing content by overleveling it is the best way to kill any fun in doing that content.

OP, you don't like challenge, do you?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I love it, it's a rerally great feature imo!

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    one of the games best features IMHO.. keeps all content relevant and any future content releveant.. say in 6 months they add a new level 30 dungeon well guess what my level 80 can go their and still have a challenge.. for me it's one of the best things about this game... oh also helping out my friends of lower level and not facerolling everything is nice as well..:)

It'd be a good feature *IF* the devs would put you at the *CORRECT* level. Theres a part of the norn story quest if you picked that you lost a horn, when you run into the person using the horn to summon ice creatures,t hat quest is needlessly hard. It's not challenging, just hard. You know theres something wrong when all your ally NPCs just die within 15 seconds of fighting.

They need to go back and redo some of these things or just make the down level optional because obviously some people don't want it and it just makes the game more frustrating than it already is.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    One of the best features of the game by far. You can play and gain experience anywhere you want, and it's an excelent way to avoid outdated game content since you'll always be able to play it no matter what's your level.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Krematory
    One of the best features of the game by far. You can play and gain experience anywhere you want, and it's an excelent way to avoid outdated game content since you'll always be able to play it no matter what's your level.

Sure you can gain experience anywhere you want but those 10xp you will be getting at lvl 78 when you go down to a lvl 1-15 area, might as well not be there. I still like the fact that it does make it so that you are at least a bit challenged even if you down level, but its still not enough, I still feel like I can overpower everything fairly quickly. Just like yesterday I went to farm some blood by the river on kessex hills for crafting and my eagle was just basically one shotting everything with the slash ability.

This was not how it was when I was the correct level for the area, I specifically remember those mobs being hard when I was the correct level because they had regen and as soon as they triggered regen they became a pain in the ass, so I dont feel like the downleveling is enough at the moment. But it doesnt bother me, I will complete every area regardless just for the sake of completion, im an achievement whore like that!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The people thinking a downscalled players isn't considerably stronger than a real level player are sorely mistaken.

A level 80 downscalled to level 5 is much more powerfull than a level 30 downscalled to a level 5 and the level 30 is much more powerfull than a real level 5. (as in the level 80 will kill in 2 shots, the level 30 in 4 shots and the level 5 will kill in 7 shots).

A level 80 in a starter area needs to be awake but barely so.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by swtorfan

What is everyone's thought on the Down Leveling?

My opinion is it sucks.. Everyone has a right to feel the way they feel but when i have a very hard time doing quest and go out to level up one more level just to go back to finish a hard quest to find out i am being down leveled that really pissed me off and that is why i have stopped playing for now.

Not that i hate the game because it is a nice game just not the type of game for me.

So what is everyone's opinion on the down leveling?

I think it is brilliant if you want to keep levels.

In a leveless game with a rather small gap between noobs and vets it is not needed of course but MMOs are rarely like that.

In TOR as example you cant finnish most storylines because they became grey and it makes no sense in MMOs that you easily beat a dragon in the old zone but gets killed by a wolf as soon as you enter a new ones.

Levels in themselves makes little sense but this makes it possible to visit older content and for the devs to set the difficulty better.

It is far from perfect but better than anything I seen before in a levelbased game.

Of course it is bad for people who suck at playing and cant complete quests even with new stuff locked up but either you actually should train and try to learn the game or give up. You would get there anyways in a normal MMO anyways when you get close to levelcap. Here you will learn to play earlier instead.

People are just lazy and give up too early nowadays. And no, it is not a generation thing but something EA and Activision have slowly implemented with easier and easier games. GW2 have some challenging parts and that is a good thing. If you cant beat them either train or skip them.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The people thinking a downscalled players isn't considerably stronger than a real level player are sorely mistaken.

A level 80 downscalled to level 5 is much more powerfull than a level 30 downscalled to a level 5 and the level 30 is much more powerfull than a real level 5. (as in the level 80 will kill in 2 shots, the level 30 in 4 shots and the level 5 will kill in 7 shots).

A level 80 in a starter area needs to be awake but barely so.

Thats simply impossible. It couldnt possibly be true. We all know GW2 has no progression...

Incase it wasnt obvious Im poking fun at the trolls who havent touched the game but think they know what the game has to offer, or somehow translated Arenanet saying "Gear and progression will be a bigger factor in Guild Wars 2 than in Guild Wars 1" into "We are completely removing stats and progression from Guild Wars 2".

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I love it and it's a brilliant idea.

It means I have a lot more of the world to explore. It doesn't matter if I'm level 40 and am in a level 20 zone.