Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down Leveling

swtorfanswtorfan Member Posts: 8

What is everyone's thought on the Down Leveling?

My opinion is it sucks.. Everyone has a right to feel the way they feel but when i have a very hard time doing quest and go out to level up one more level just to go back to finish a hard quest to find out i am being down leveled that really pissed me off and that is why i have stopped playing for now.

Not that i hate the game because it is a nice game just not the type of game for me.

So what is everyone's opinion on the down leveling?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    one of the games best features IMHO.. keeps all content relevant and any future content releveant.. say in 6 months they add a new level 30 dungeon well guess what my level 80 can go their and still have a challenge.. for me it's one of the best things about this game... oh also helping out my friends of lower level and not facerolling everything is nice as well..:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• swtorfanswtorfan Member Posts: 8
    Good point on the down leveling for the dungeons if they add them in the future. I was not thinking about that.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

The whole "downleveled because I'm one level higher than a hard quest" is kinda the point of downleveling; it would be just like any other MMO if downleveling didn't downlevel you.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I strenuously object. lol. This is by far one of the best features of the game. There are no outleveled dead zones so everything is worth doing as long as you like the scenery, etc. This was a better solution than even the excellent system in EQ2.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    It doesn't make me feel crippled for exploring all starter areas before moving on to the higher level ones and neither does it make me feel bored by one shotting all mobs due to the level difference. Because of this, I totally love it and believe it is a move forward towards making a more common occurrence of world designs in which all areas remain relevant even if your level says it should be a "waste of time" to experience it.

That is why i was thinking the game might not be for me. Some challenges i am not capable of doing with some disabilities so i was wanting that one extra level to do the quest.

Thanks for your opinion though.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

When you are down leveled and you are still having trouble with a quest you must go find better GEAR to get better STATS.

Everybody says gear doesn't matter in this game but it's actually quite important.  If you are a crappy geared lvl 10 player when you get down leveled to say lvl 5...  Well, you're still going to be a crappy geared lvl 5 player!

If you have trouble with a quest you just gotta grind out basically any area for some better gear and then tackle the quest again.

It just makes me frustrated that i am unable to get past several of the class quests.

Thanks for your opinion.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by EricDanie
    It doesn't make me feel crippled for exploring all starter areas before moving on to the higher level ones and neither does it make me feel bored by one shotting all mobs due to the level difference. Because of this, I totally love it and believe it is a move forward towards making a more common occurrence of world designs in which all areas remain relevant. 

This.  Down scaling is gw2 greatest feature.  All content is relevant as is all new added content. 

Originally posted by swtorfan

It just makes me frustrated that i am unable to get past several of the class quests.

Thanks for your opinion.

like said above most likely it is your gear that is the issue

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Good point and this is why it might be a bug or someting because i did get better gear i thought but it never changed my stats so i could not figure that out. Is it possible it was just bugged out?
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I love it! I can level and enjoy my game at my own pace, and not have to wait for my sons to keep up with me. They work and I don't, so I have plenty of time to play. If I am level 40 and they are 12, no problem!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Since i play alone i did not think about that.. That is a very good point with down leveling.
    Good point and this is why it might be a bug or someting because i did get better gear i thought but it never changed my stats so i could not figure that out. Is it possible it was just bugged out?

you sure? i'd double check your Hero panel and unequip the gear then equip it

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Thanks for your opinion.

Some class quests are wildly imbalanced. They'll get nerfed eventually.

Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Thanks for your opinion.

Some class quests are wildly imbalanced. They'll get nerfed eventually.

thought all content in this game was super easy? at least thats the word on the streets:P you are right though I noticed some class quests much more difficult than others.. but you can always respawn at the checkpoint which puts you right back where you were with the enemies you killed already dead so it gets easier as long as you can kill a few of them before you die:)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

What is everyone's thought on the Down Leveling?

My opinion is it sucks.. Everyone has a right to feel the way they feel but when i have a very hard time doing quest and go out to level up one more level just to go back to finish a hard quest to find out i am being down leveled that really pissed me off and that is why i have stopped playing for now.

Not that i hate the game because it is a nice game just not the type of game for me.

So what is everyone's opinion on the down leveling?

For me its refreshing and welcoming in the open world. No more level 80's boosting their guildies monopolizing an area, leaving us real lowbies scavenging for kills. It's not disruptive of others. Although I would have preferred an optional down-levelling for personal stories, since I'm only doing them alone and not affecting anyone else's gameplay. They can implement rulings like if I bring someone with me the option to downlevel is disabled (because I brought backup), or don't give me EXP if I disabled downlevelling. Just give me an option to choose not to downlevel.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

I responded to your post in another thread too OP...

Were you aware you can group up for your Personal Story Quests?

Ask any friends/guildies if they can join you and you can overcome the challenge together!

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

I understand the point's people are making but I also agree with the OP in one respect .. For the personal story or " one off's " the down scalling could be removed .

Afaik you can't revisit your story quests once you have done them so removing the scalling for them wouldn't be an issue 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    They should have done what FFXIV Reborn is doing and thats giving you the option to down level when you want to down level. Good idea but like many others poorly executed.
  • kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

I don't like it.

For the same reason i didn't like Oblivion's level scaling.

It removes the RPG of the game, then it becomes a pointless button mashing action game with no real progression.

If i wanted to do low level content... i would make a new alt and experience a different class.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Mannish
    They should have done what FFXIV Reborn is doing and thats giving you the option to down level when you want to down level. Good idea but like many others poorly executed.

Not sure I agree. A person who chose not to downlevel can still trivialize content for lowbies who are not inherently playing cooperatively with him. Unless FFXIV has a system in place to prevent this, it's still a poor execution.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    [mod edit]

The quote under your avatar is really ironic considering this post.

I'm a huge fan of the game but I find what you said honestly repulsive in addition to unnecessarily insulting to the OP, especially if you read the thread.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kol56

I don't like it.

For the same reason i didn't like Oblivion's level scaling.

It removes the RPG of the game, then it becomes a pointless button mashing action game with no real progression.

If i wanted to do low level content... i would make a new alt and experience a different class.

There is still progression, and I really dont get what is so extremely hard for people to grasp about the downleveling. You are STILL stronger, even with the downleveling.

You have trait points spent that you didnt have at low level, giving you stat boosts, bonuses to skills, and special effects. Increased weapon damages, higher crit, faster cooldowns / faster Initiative regen, etc.

You have more skills / slot sunlocked, including elites if youre over 30.

You have better upgrades in your upgrade slots than at lower level, usually with multiple stats on them instead of just 1 stat.

You can use consumables (food, etc) that give you better buffs than at lower levels.

Does that sound like theres no progression and no advantage to being higher level? Its funny though. For all the people I see saying the game is so easy, I see nearly as many people crying they cant handle lower level content when downscaled.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It's one of the best features of the game.  If you can't handle not being able to one shot everything, play something else.  I think the concept is great, it keeps everything relevant.