Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 avoid the same fate as SWTOR?

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

Been playing GW2 since EA on the 25th and imo it is much, much, much, much more polished game with a beautiful world, interesting races, interactive pvp,  the game engine isnt absolute trash,  launches with basic features and then some,  AH isnt horrid  (ok, so it is down alot, though, which is annoying).  GW2 has all this and more and its F2P.   So the game has started out strong but so did SWTOR, but then again, game had so much hype that, I think, alot of people were blinded and didnt see how flawed the game was.  I personally, dont think GW2 will poop out like SWTOR did.    GW2 is #1 or #2 on the xfire chart, so that is a good sign.   Hopefully we finally have a good alternative to go to for something different instead of Wow, and wont be another AoC, Aion, Warhammer, Rift, TSW, SWTOR. 

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    No...... after a month, people will quit paying sub and in second month servers will begin to be merged. Third month Anet will announce that GW2 is going F2P.
  • SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    No...... after a month, people will quit paying sub and in second month servers will begin to be merged. Third month Anet will announce that GW2 is going F2P.

I heard somewhere that they're already planning to add a cash shop...

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815

I quit playing SWTOR during closed beta. I like to play games that are "virtual worlds", where you can play a role. SWTOR was dead.

I haven't played GW2, but the reviews all talk about a vast, open world, that you are free to explore. I could probably play GW2 a lot longer, just for that reason.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Better watch out, SWTOR gained a few % on xfire last week.

Everyone is super excited that there might be new patch coming out within the next 6-12 months, under the new 3rd promise for faster content releases, which EA pledged a couple months ago.  People are just flocking back in now to avoid all the website lag, which is anticipated to hit hard when a patch comes out, maybe even as soon as next Easter.  It has 2 new dialog scenes - woohoo!

I bet ArenaNet will pump out expansions pretty fast to keep players interested though (thinking like SOE EQ, doing 1 a year at first, accelerating to 2 per year later) ... SWTOR works on the "coming soon, please don't unsubscribe!" BS and all EA's lies, .... but with a B2P game, ArenaNet MUST keep content rolling out, otherwise they will go broke .. sure fluff cash shops work to generate money, but after awhile .. after someone buying all the 1-time unlocks for stuff ... all thats left is more of the same vanity extras .. which won't be exciting without content expansions ...

It was estimated that 10% of WoW players bought vanity junk from Blizzards cash shop ... if the % carries over to GW2, that won't be enough income to stay afloat.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59

I AM PRETTY SURE SWTOR WILL BE A BETTER GAME THAN GW2 WITH MORE PEOPLE PLAYING.

AND IF U THINK IT'S TRUE, BECAUSE THIS IS STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WHAT IS GUILD WARS 2? JUST SAYING :) 

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

um

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

um

I mean, people loves star wars, with the new f2p opcion, people is coming to swtor

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

rawr

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Hardly believe it.

SWTOR was sub-based and probably wasnt worth it. Hence the reason why majority started to pack ther stuff and move onto other places.

GW2 is one time purchase and for that price have already more content than any other SP RPG with the same price may provide. 

Now my question is: did SWTOR had similar quallity/content as GW2, for i didnt bothered to touch it? If so, then i could make more accurate comparison between two.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    The good news is, with a 75% or so population drop, most of the current issues will fix themselves.  Good news for those still playing, not so good news for ArenaNet and NCsoft.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

we'll see if that's really going to happen. GW2 going F2P, why, why in the world would that happen? They can sell even more copies so that people will have an idea that they will never ever hae to pay for a subscription again. And to get to level cap takes about the same amount of time as SW:TOR.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I seen Star Wars from 1977. 1980 and 1983.

SW:TOR isn't Star Wars.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

GW2 is 10 times the game SWTOR was, it is night and day the quality of these products. Also it doesn't have monthly subs so people who are on the fence won't quit quite as fast. So my answer is no, after 5 hours of SWTOR beta I could tell it was garbage. GW2 is much better.

• draussdrauss Member Posts: 93

So much lulz here. Clearly you all have missed that GW2 is no subscription. You buy it... You own it... You can play in 6 months time no worries... Its the same as the 1st game which is still going 6 years later with no subs...

So no servers to be merged.. They have their box sales.... They push nightly server upgrades out which take the game down for 20-40min. Client updates require a client restart only.

So I guess I will just not pay my sub next month and still play it anyways. In fact I just won't pay a sub at all and play probably the best game to come out in the last year and for the foreseable future for the next few years.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Assuming you mean the same fate as "Is it going to lose a whole bunch of players really fast", no I don't think so.

Lack of sub should keep people coming in and out for quite a while, there's a lot to the game.    Will there be a point where there aren't as many people playing it at any one time as right now?  Probably.   I can't see it simply crashing though.

I have to figure years from now even if people are playing some other game regularly, many will just pop in for some quick WvWvW or sPVP or something like that.   No real committment. 

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

incompareable.

sotor was p2p

gw2 is b2p

swotor failed bigtime

gw2 is failing bigtime right now.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Thralia
    incompareable. sotor was p2pgw2 is b2p swotor failed bigtimegw2 is failing bigtime right now.

No it isn't but I can tell from my limited time here that you have an agenda and will say anything to discredit the game for some odd reason.

Originally posted by drauss

So much lulz here. Clearly you all have missed that GW2 is no subscription. You buy it... You own it... You can play in 6 months time no worries... Its the same as the 1st game which is still going 6 years later with no subs...

So no servers to be merged.. They have their box sales.... They push nightly server upgrades out which take the game down for 20-40min. Client updates require a client restart only.

So I guess I will just not pay my sub next month and still play it anyways. In fact I just won't pay a sub at all and play probably the best game to come out in the last year and for the foreseable future for the next few years.

Man..you guys really suck at understanding sarcasm don't you? even though i tried my best to make it so obvious by mentioning 'F2P¨' thing.

/sigh.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Sentime
    The good news is, with a 75% or so population drop, most of the current issues will fix themselves.  Good news for those still playing, not so good news for ArenaNet and NCsoft.

Which issues? Everything seems fine to me. I'm not baiting you but are you talking of the Trading Company which is working, or what?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

incompareable.

sotor was p2p

gw2 is b2p

swotor failed bigtime

If anything GW2 is steam rolling the competition. Keep your hating up, you are losing one post at a time. ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

incompareable.

sotor was p2p

gw2 is b2p

swotor failed bigtime

Failing right now? allright...maybe that is why Anet increased server capacity today to accomodate increasing number of players? if that is how game fails..i hope more game fails because we really need it.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Why would GW2 go to the same fate? They don't charge a subscription.....
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

GW2 has at least 3x the replayability of SW:TOR.

In SW:TOR, once you leveled a char on each side, you've seen it all. That's definitely not true in GW2.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RaralRaral Member Posts: 12
    the fate of gw2 is all depeanted on the fate of other mmos in a flood market it will probblly retain a good number only because people don't have to pay more for it saying it better than tor is a bit out of place there two differnt styke of games where is a tradional themepark game that most mmos go by to a point and gw2 is free but it also has at least for first impressions a bit of a grind game. i doudt ethier game will die few mmos ever do once out the real thing to watch is when tor goes f2p  the two games also differ a lot on content direction tor has more pve end game and gw2 is more pvp orindted at the end game
  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    i waited 5 years to play guild wars 2. Ive been int he beta's for ALL the current AAA titels,  Guild wars 2 was the only 1 i didnt get to try. Guess wat my attentions fully focused on the game, ive been having so much fun that the more i level up, more i get addicited  to it.  GW2  will not fail, it is B2p, ya buy n play free 2 play forever. as for the cash shop its ingame, same as the first game. Their doing everything rite. Reading this entire thread, i must say, the fourm trolls  are rolling hardcore to try n spur up a fight. srry if you  all hate that guild waars 2 is succeeding and lived up to its hype and ur games didnt.    Mb tell the game u all like to get a notepad n start taking notes from ANet :-P