Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 things GW2 does better than any other game...

MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Ok, so this isn't a review, an objective first impressions or anything remotely thorough. It's just my personal 5 reasons why Gulid Wars 2 looks by far more promising than anything else the last years.

5. Performance - Hell yea Anet! That's how its done. My rig (PheX6, 6850HD) went down crying on rifts zergs, it threw up and fainted on SWTORs ilum. Guild Wars 2 WvW, 50 players on screen, 20+ effects, still >20 fps. Never invent a new engine if your old one works. Way to go. They even recycled the animations from 2004, and they still rock compared to the crap other devs have churned out.

4. Public quests - Warhammers quests were environment related but almost never soloable. Rifts events are pure chaos, often repetetive and generic with usually no link to the area you're in. They just "happen". Guild Wars 2 just nailed it. You go somewhere, something environment-related is going on and its scaling in difficulty. Finally you feel like you're actually defending the keep.

3. Crafting - God, finally someone gave crafting bags and crafting chests and crammed inventoriy the axe. Ingredients are there when you need them and gone when you're off fighting stuff, they're sorted, they're always accessible without running. I remember running my heels off in Vanguard for crafting the simplest stuff. I always liked exploring and gathering, not friggin logistics. Thanks Anet.

2. Exploration and down-leveling - And no. I DO know that this game is not free roam columbus style like Dark and Light or Star Wars Galaxies. It even has zoning. But it REWARDs people for exploring, not with crap, but with actual progression related stuff. And downleveling guarantees that no matter how epic you think you are, a level 5 drake CAN kill you. Love it. 

1. PvP/WvW. It's the best part of Warhammer reanimated. It's - for me - even DaoC again. Finally, after the idiocy of SWTOR, Warhammers late RR80 trains, after crashing sieges in AoC and ridiculous gear-one-shot battles in Aion. A game that captures the spirit of RvR again. With an uncompromising "No bullshit"-attitude, no heal-wars, no CC fest and a lot of utility for every class. Dodge, run, hide, cast while running. Perfect 10. I think I'll stay, just because "hop in and beat people up"-RvR is finally back and breathing. For me, after 10 years since DaoC.

Kudos A-Net. I haven't enjoyed myself as much since well before 2005.

M

P.S: Oh yea, and I do aknowledge the bumps. Like 2 hour WvW queues on prime, or broken auction house, or inability to play with friends when in overflow... That's all really bad and stuff, but not even close to the rolleyes I've been through on other releases the last years.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Interesting opinion. Glad you like the game

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

you forgot; no ninja looting or ninja mobs:)

Best mmo i have played. there is always people, never feel lonely.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    All of these points are shared by me as well.  
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    100% agreed OP
  • Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

Lol, enough with the DAOC stuff. It doesn t even compare. All it is is a bunch of people trying to out dps the other. Trinity, and class definitions is what gives DAOC it s flare. WvW is pointless and boring.

Re subbed DAOC to see if I was wrong, and IMO, not even fair to compare the 2 , DAOC is far superior in this area.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Meridion

Ok, so this isn't a review, an objective first impressions or anything remotely thorough. It's just my personal 5 reasons why Gulid Wars 2 looks by far more promising than anything else the last years.

5. Performance - Hell yea Anet! That's how its done. My rig (PheX6, 6850HD) went down crying on rifts zergs, it threw up and fainted on SWTORs ilum. Guild Wars 2 WvW, 50 players on screen, 20+ effects, still >20 fps. Never invent a new engine if your old one works. Way to go. They even recycled the animations from 2004, and they still rock compared to the crap other devs have churned out.

Some PCs crash randomly and experience HUGE lag. Feels like controlling a tank.

4. Public quests - Warhammers quests were environment related but almost never soloable. Rifts events are pure chaos, often repetetive and generic with usually no link to the area you're in. They just "happen". Guild Wars 2 just nailed it. You go somewhere, something environment-related is going on and its scaling in difficulty. Finally you feel like you're actually defending the keep.

PQ zergfest. You do the same kill, loot, gather repetitive tasks. Boring.

3. Crafting - God, finally someone gave crafting bags and crafting chests and crammed inventoriy the axe. Ingredients are there when you need them and gone when you're off fighting stuff, they're sorted, they're always accessible without running. I remember running my heels off in Vanguard for crafting the simplest stuff. I always liked exploring and gathering, not friggin logistics. Thanks Anet.

No sense of competition from nodes. Boring crafting.

2. Exploration and down-leveling - And no. I DO know that this game is not free roam columbus style like Dark and Light or Star Wars Galaxies. It even has zoning. But it REWARDs people for exploring, not with crap, but with actual progression related stuff. And downleveling guarantees that no matter how epic you think you are, a level 5 drake CAN kill you. Love it. 

Gear and progression becomes worthless because you're never overpowered on low level zones.

1. PvP/WvW. It's the best part of Warhammer reanimated. It's - for me - even DaoC again. Finally, after the idiocy of SWTOR, Warhammers late RR80 trains, after crashing sieges in AoC and ridiculous gear-one-shot battles in Aion. A game that captures the spirit of RvR again. With an uncompromising "No bullshit"-attitude, no heal-wars, no CC fest and a lot of utility for every class. Dodge, run, hide, cast while running. Perfect 10. I think I'll stay, just because "hop in and beat people up"-RvR is finally back and breathing. For me, after 10 years since DaoC.

PvP zergfest doorwars, copy paste warhammer online, etc etc etc.

M

P.S: Oh yea, and I do aknowledge the bumps. Like 2 hour WvW queues on prime, or broken auction house, or inability to play with friends when in overflow... That's all really bad and stuff, but not even close to the rolleyes I've been through on other releases the last years.

Hahaha. There. I'm saving our critics the trouble. Feel free to argue with these statements. They're not mine though. I just wrote what I've been picking up from other people. It's so easy to write these things, as I realized.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Love the game but not very much about what you said describes why. None of these are amazing features in my mind. Some of them are negatives to be honest.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    5 well swtor is a low benchmark. I don't think performance is that great. I got better in war, once they fixed it. I get better in tsw, although mass pvp in that is borked in other ways. But its ok.
    4 & 3 agree
    2 you can do this in coh, but... also level up friends too.
    1 its best of the past 10 years or, but still isn't daoc good (or planetside)
  • Smitt3kSmitt3k Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by DMKano

Sorry but the mechanics of Rifts invasions are FAR better - the rifts do not appear in fixed locations and the invasions can take over entire zones.

In GW2 dynamic events are a misnomer - they should be called SE's - scripted/static events - always happen in the same places have no impact on the world (some have minimal impact).

Anet should be ashamed for such blatant lying - there is nothing dynamic about running a triggerd script!!

So from this point forth I am calling them SEs 

I am not sure you are playing GW2. There are alot of dynamic and sweeping changes that events have on the landscape.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Sorry but the mechanics of Rifts invasions are FAR better - the rifts do not appear in fixed locations and the invasions can take over entire zones. In GW2 dynamic events are a misnomer - they should be called SE's - scripted/static events - always happen in the same places have no impact on the world (some have minimal impact).So from this point forth I am calling them SEs In Rift there are periods when you can relax - lulls between rifts and invasions - this feels more natural. GW2 is non stop same scripted events that happen around the clock repeatedly - its way too forced and annoying. Also Rifts invasions can encompass entire zones - needing multiple groups of players working in different areas of the zone simultaneously. GW2 scripted events happen in small concentrated areas Anet should be ashamed for such blatant lying - there is nothing dynamic about running a triggerd script!! 

We will agree to disagree I think. Rifts felt so repetitive and just downright boring that I stopped paying attention to them unless they got in my way. The Rift system was a complete 100% failure for me. Same with dynamic events in WAR which were way too static. GW2 found just the right compromise to make me want to seek them out while they are close wihtout having them forced on me because they were blocking all of the other content. They are also varied and interesting while the Rift ones were repetitive and very boring.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

i like the game,but your 5 reasons are highly subject to ones own opinion..

5) lots of people are still having problems with the game even with high end machines.I get higher FPS in TSW than I do in GW2....both games maxed settings.

4) DE's are fun,but they only shine if they arent zerged...which is rare.

3) I'd take Vanguards crafting ANYDAY OF THE WEEK over GW2...

2) again,I would take Vanguard 'columbus style' of exploration over enclosed, hide a couple treasure chests and jump challenges here and there style of exploration.I want to explore the wonders of the world,not be taunted like a dog trying to find its hidden toy.

1)Ive only played light pvp so far,so cant really comment.Will only say that DAOC's style still puts GW2's version to shame.It had different factions,each faction had its own style and own flavor of class molds.Factions were seperated by realm and by look.Not just a different colored name tag.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I don't think it does any one thing better than any other game. It does several very well tho tyhat other games probably can't match overall.

I'd say I'm a fan of the exploration part of the game the most. Haven't really had much to explore in previous games.

• swtorfanswtorfan Member Posts: 8

To the OP, The one and only reason i stopped playing is the down-levling. Down leveling sucks big time. For me i am not the best player out there and i do love a challenge but when i spent 3 hours for a level 8 quest at level 8 and was not able to complete it , it thought hey i will get to level 9 and that will help me complete the quest... boy was i pissed when i was down graded to level 8 and still could not handle the quest.

I am not saying anything bad about the game just saying i suck enough and get to frustrated when i do not even have a chance unless it was some kind of bug but anyway pissed me off enought to quit.

I do hope this games sticks around for the people that really love it because it does look like a nice game, just not for me. I guess i have to be honest and say world of warcraft is more my type of game. But hey each their own.

Good Luck GW2

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by swtorfan

To the OP, The one and only reason i stopped playing is the down-levling. Down leveling sucks big time. For me i am not the best player out there and i do love a challenge but when i spent 3 hours for a level 8 quest at level 8 and was not able to complete it , it thought hey i will get to level 9 and that will help me complete the quest... boy was i pissed when i was down graded to level 8 and still could not handle the quest.

I am not saying anything bad about the game just saying i suck enough and get to frustrated when i do not even have a chance unless it was some kind of bug but anyway pissed me off enought to quit.

I do hope this games sticks around for the people that really love it because it does look like a nice game, just not for me. I guess i have to be honest and say world of warcraft is more my type of game. But hey each their own.

Good Luck GW2

I can see your point but I completely disagree.  The level scaling in gw2 is its greatest feature.  It makes the whole game relevant all the time.  

i suggest you practice and improve your skills to complete your level 8 quest. 

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Good Luck GW2

Hope you haven't given up yet... did you know that you can group up for those Personal Story Quests?

Invite a friend or guildie along to help you out.

Originally posted by Smitt3k

Sorry but the mechanics of Rifts invasions are FAR better - the rifts do not appear in fixed locations and the invasions can take over entire zones.

In GW2 dynamic events are a misnomer - they should be called SE's - scripted/static events - always happen in the same places have no impact on the world (some have minimal impact).

Anet should be ashamed for such blatant lying - there is nothing dynamic about running a triggerd script!!

So from this point forth I am calling them SEs 

I am not sure you are playing GW2. There are alot of dynamic and sweeping changes that events have on the landscape.

I just hit 72 - so tell me a single event in GW2 where the entire zone gets taken over by an event and needs multiple groups in each part of the zone working together.....

There is nothing that even comes close to large epic Rift invasions in GW2, it's small crap where a portion of the map gets impacted for a short time before the scripted event gets triggered again 5 min later.

Is that a fair thing to say? Rift zones are smaller than GW2 zones. What you said is true though in that there's not one DE that affects an ENTIRE zone (e.g. Kessex Hills), but you have to understand the scale of what you're looking for.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Meta_event

Specific events form a meta event. Each event brings changes to the world. Nothing geographic though. What changes are small and large doodads (e.g. towers, beehives, water pumps, etc.) and they remain in such state unless taken back by players (no reset timer). Taking each part of a meta event into consideration, isn't the resulting area just as big as a modest Rift zone? You just don't feel its scope as epic because there's no drastic change to the entire landscape as far as your eyes can reach. It'd be awesome if ANet does a DE like that though, which I'm sure they can implement.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Good Luck GW2

Sorry that you weren't able to get the hang of the game Swtorfan. I do have to give you major props for admitting that your GW2 skills were sub par and that WoW is your type of game. Most people wouldn't do that. 

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Gear and progression becomes worthless because you're never overpowered on low level zones.

M

Hahaha. There. I'm saving our critics the trouble. Feel free to argue with these statements. They're not mine though. I just wrote what I've been picking up from other people. It's so easy to write these things, as I realized.

Truth is the easiest after all .

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I really liked the Dynamic Events in Tabula Rasa. The Bane would attack the forts. If the Bane took over the fort you couldn't do the quests inside.

(The only real problem was each realm had shards, I wish they would have gotten rid of those in Tabula Rasa)

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Opinions are all fine and good.   Crafting though, seriously?  Just because they let you store items in an alternative place? Are we seriously going to gloss over.  Just how low end the crafting is as whole.  Your PC stands there like a lump of coal during the whole process of crafting. Being bound to craft stations. The lack of depth. Something that WoW has been picked apart for, but Anet does it, and it's fine. 

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    Even if you believe GW2 does things better it has all been done before. People are tired of eating toast everyday...
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

To the OP, The one and only reason i stopped playing is the down-levling. Down leveling sucks big time. For me i am not the best player out there and i do love a challenge but when i spent 3 hours for a level 8 quest at level 8 and was not able to complete it , it thought hey i will get to level 9 and that will help me complete the quest... boy was i pissed when i was down graded to level 8 and still could not handle the quest. I am not saying anything bad about the game just saying i suck enough and get to frustrated when i do not even have a chance unless it was some kind of bug but anyway pissed me off enought to quit. I do hope this games sticks around for the people that really love it because it does look like a nice game, just not for me. I guess i have to be honest and say world of warcraft is more my type of game. But hey each their own. Good Luck GW2

Wait.. GW2 levels you down sometimes? Isn't that one of the main reasons why people chose WOW over EQ1? I was really considering GW2, but not anymore. Downleveling is a major deal breaker for me.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Ikonis
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

M

Truth is the easiest after all .

Haha, I wish.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

The graphics are decent, my performance hasnt been as smooth as yours (i7 w/ 2b gtx560 X2)  During pvp the system was very laggy and I myself didnt experience any game crashes guild mates have.

Pure chaos?  Most of the DE's ive been in (level 30) is nothing but pure chaos.  No stratagy, no healing (I tried once but got bronze), everyone just spamming 1-5.  

Crafting bags?  I dont play WoW and know they have crafting bags, and crafting chests.  This comment just makes you sound lazy.  

This is not the 1st game that rewarded you for exploring.  LOTRO  give you deeds which increase specific stats (actual progression related stuff) when you explore new areas.  Down-leveling is a personal opinion, I just dont see the need for it unless you dont have enough content in the rest of the game. 

M

I cant comment on #1 I don't PvP that much mainly cause of the lag, I am happy for people that enjoy this game, by no means does it do ALL 5 of the things you mentioned the best.  

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Seriously, i really do like this game.  I dont think its the fucking pariah like most people, but i am getting really friggin tired of connection issues, shit like the AH being down, etc etc.  I've been at the launch of every major MMO since EQ1 with the exception of WOW, and though there has been worse, none have been this bad for this long.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche