Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XFire data from release - interesting graph

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9122/d3hoursplayedmay16toaug.png

This info was posted on the official forums http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413174840?page=1.

I realize tht lots of people refuse to even look at XFire data, but as with tons of other struggling games, it always seems to capture the general trend.  Patch 1.04 provided a reprieve but was timed shortly before GW2 which took another bite out of D3 for the short term at least.

If GW2 wasn't out, I probably would have went back to try out the changes.

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

1.0.4 didn't really change anything, but it is a step in the right direction.  It alleviates some dependency that characters have on gear.  However, it still isn't enough to right this sinking ship.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Well, D3  sold over 10 mil copies and gw2  has to struggle with 1 mil. Do i need to say more :)
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Well, D3  sold over 10 mil copies and gw2  has to struggle with 1 mil. Do i need to say more :)

No, because you have no clue what you're talking about.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This game just really missed the mark, that of which made D2 a longterm success.

Do you want to grind hours to obtain an item just to see someone else simply buy it?  Buying items with real money just kills the fun.  It kills the reward.

Some Blizzard fans say, "well item selling was so popular in D2, so whats the difference?" .. The difference is that not nearly even a huge portion bought anything.  Now that buying has become so easy, it ruined the game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

Oh snap. End of thread

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

Poster isn't that far off the mark.

We have no idea how many GW2 sold so far, but we know GW2 sold 1M before the official release date.

D3 sold 10M+ and was still in the top 10 game sales list thingy last I checked (2 months ago).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

Poster isn't that far off the mark.

We have no idea how many GW2 sold so far, but we know GW2 sold 1M before the official release date.

D3 sold 10M+ and was still in the top 10 game sales list thingy last I checked (2 months ago).

So they sold 10M+ ? That's great for initial profit, but the rapid decline of interest, shows this game is EPICALLY failing on the longterm profit goals!

This game was designed solely around the Real Money Auction House and to milk the players for time to come.

I personally I am glad Diablo III is epically failing, as it will hopefully mean that the terrible abomination called the RMAH will not become the new industry standard for new MMO's!

Anyone who even thought of making a living on the RMAH of this game must have had a good reality check by now! and see that you have to be chinese to make a profit or even a living out of it.

Diablo III is litterly ripe of terrible design decisions... it's not even funny!  Hence the rapid decline in interest shown in that graph.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by JeroKane

So they sold 10M+ ? That's great for initial profit, but the rapid decline of interest, shows this game is EPICALLY failing on the longterm profit goals!

This game was designed solely around the Real Money Auction House and to milk the players for time to come.

I personally I am glad Diablo III is epically failing, as it will hopefully mean that the terrible abomination called the RMAH will not become the new industry standard for new MMO's!

Anyone who even thought of making a living on the RMAH of this game must have had a good reality check by now! and see that you have to be chinese to make a profit or even a living out of it.

Diablo III is litterly ripe of terrible design decisions... it's not even funny!  Hence the rapid decline in interest shown in that graph.

10M copies x 60 = 600M 

600M x 70% (take out the retail cut and misc) = 420M minimum

Probably a lot higher than 420M since 'digital sales' is pure profit but w/e.

Yeah, it is so failing alright. / sarcasm

To argue that GW2 sold more than D3 at this moment is factually incorrect.

Could GW2 outsell D3 in the future? Sure, but right now, the poster wasn't factually far off.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by jpnz

10M copies x 60 = 600M 

600M x 70% (take out the retail cut and misc) = 420M minimum

Probably a lot higher than 420M since 'digital sales' is pure profit but w/e.

Yeah, it is so failing alright. / sarcasm

To argue that GW2 sold more than D3 at this moment is factually incorrect.

Could GW2 outsell D3 in the future? Sure, but right now, the poster wasn't factually far off.

The profit margin on box sales is a hell lot less than 70% !

Even if they made like 150 - 200 million net profit gain! That is great for the 2nd quarterly report! But that's it.

The FACT still remains, that this game has been solely designed around the Real Money Auction House!

So this game was made to create a continious longterm profit!  And I am terribly happy to see Blizzard falling flat on their faces with that greed and that this abomination is epically failing on the whole RMAH crap!

And you too should be glad, or every single MMO from now on will be nothing but a terrible RMT grind fest!

Terrible unfun grindfest games to push people to the RMAH!

Thanks but no thanks!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9122/d3hoursplayedmay16toaug.png

This info was posted on the official forums http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413174840?page=1.

I realize tht lots of people refuse to even look at XFire data, but as with tons of other struggling games, it always seems to capture the general trend.  Patch 1.04 provided a reprieve but was timed shortly before GW2 which took another bite out of D3 for the short term at least.

If GW2 wasn't out, I probably would have went back to try out the changes.

You are making a huge misstake there, Diablo 3 is not a MMO and the important thing about it is salesnumber.

D3 is a singleplayer game basically with some CORPG features and most people dont play games like that very long. 

And that is not really anything wrong either, I play few none MMO games for more than 6 weeks.

With the number of sales D3 had it is a huge success no matter what will happen now.

GW2 on the other hand is a MMO, its long time success depends on its expansions. I think it will do fine there but D3 have made Blizzard more money than the other 2 Diablo put together.

Game wise it might not be better but it sure is salewise and that is Activisions only concern.

Even if they made like 150 - 200 million net profit gain! That is great for the 2nd quarterly report! But that's it.

The FACT still remains, that this game has been solely designed around the Real Money Auction House!

So this game was made to create a continious longterm profit!  And I am terribly happy to see Blizzard falling flat on their faces with that greed and that this abomination is epically failing on the whole RMAH crap!

And you too should be glad, or every single MMO from now on will be nothing but a terrible RMT grind fest!

Thanks but no thanks!

Sure is, 30-50%, not 70%. Digital downloads on the other hand directly from Blizzard is pure profit, that is why Runic can take 20 bucks for TL2 but only sell online.

Thanks but no thanks!

This post is factually false but that's okay because this is one of those cases.

Usual 60 dollar game:  

20% is usually the retail cut, 30% is the publisher, 20% is the 'console' (if it is on xbox/ps/wii etc), 20% is the developer and 10% (ish) is marketing etc.

In D3 Acti-Blizzard also published the game and since it was only on PC, it would have been 70% (ish); 30+20+20=70

You keep using the words 'FACT'  but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Fact requires proof / citation not 'CAPTIAL LETTERS!'

Gdemami -

Originally posted by Karteli

This game just really missed the mark, that of which made D2 a longterm success.

Do you want to grind hours to obtain an item just to see someone else simply buy it?  Buying items with real money just kills the fun.  It kills the reward.

Some Blizzard fans say, "well item selling was so popular in D2, so whats the difference?" .. The difference is that not nearly even a huge portion bought anything.  Now that buying has become so easy, it ruined the game.

Did most people really play D2 that long? I remember myself playing it 6 weeks or so.

Now, the first Diablo I played for 4-5 months but it felt really challenging.

D1 were not so gear dependant, it actually took a whole lot of player skill to get somewhere there.

I do agree that D3 is the weakest link so far, mainly because its focus on gear grind is that of a MMO but the game really aint a MMO which I rather play in this case.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

Wow some people really feel so threatened by GW2, they have to mention it everywhere, even in threads that don't really concern it.

Must be a painful way to live like that..., always in fear  :(

Originally posted by coretex666

I like it when people on the forum use this word.

It shows that the person has no idea how business and economics work.

The fact that management are hired in order to maximize profit for the shareholders is an unknown concept to these people.

I understand that such person may view an average player in the market economy as "greedy".

How cute

Greed is the main point of capitalism and whats make the world go round.

I wouldnt call that realization cute, but you have to live with it. 

At times a person who just want to make a fun game do gets enough funding though, like Marcus from Minecraft. Fun games do have a way of getting in money.

But even with games the companies can become too greedy. Take SOEs F2P conversion. Me and my entire guild quit in disgust when EQ2 turned F2P, we werent prepared to pay that more so a company can become too greedy. Now not enough people might have done that so SOE still earned more but there is a limit to how greedy you can become.

You dont neccesarily max out profit by taking the highest price. MC Donalds do pretty well by selling stuff for a low price.

But of course do all companies need to get in money, that is not about greed but basic survival.

Change a game so it instead of $15 cost $25 if you want to play the endgame and have the nerve to call it "free", that is way over the top greed.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The problem with Diablo 3 was how really small the game was and how really repetitive it was.  After 7 weeks of playing the game, I had been there, and done it all end of story.  That was 7 weeks just part time not all the time playing it.

I never used the rhma, as who the heck cares I was getting all I needed from drops, and I could never see spending money there for any reason.

All in all I got my moneys worth, then it was time to move on.   I got a feeling a lot of folks did that as well. Xfire data or not the game was over with, unless you have add and are still playing it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by coretex666

I like it when people on the forum use this word.

It shows that the person has no idea how business and economics work.

The fact that management are hired in order to maximize profit for the shareholders is an unknown concept to these people.

I understand that such person may view an average player in the market economy as "greedy".

How cute

Greed is the main point of capitalism and whats make the world go round.

I wouldnt call that realization cute, but you have to live with it. 

At times a person who just want to make a fun game do gets enough funding though, like Marcus from Minecraft. Fun games do have a way of getting in money.

But even with games the companies can become too greedy. Take SOEs F2P conversion. Me and my entire guild quit in disgust when EQ2 turned F2P, we werent prepared to pay that more so a company can become too greedy. Now not enough people might have done that so SOE still earned more but there is a limit to how greedy you can become.

You dont neccesarily max out profit by taking the highest price. MC Donalds do pretty well by selling stuff for a low price.

But of course do all companies need to get in money, that is not about greed but basic survival.

Change a game so it instead of $15 cost $25 if you want to play the endgame and have the nerve to call it "free", that is way over the top greed.

Dude really don't tell any lies.  EQ2 wile it is free to play if you want to play end game you still sub and at the same price and if you do it like in 3 or 6 month terms it is even cheeper, but don't tell a lie saying it cost 25 bucks a month to sub,    That is a lie all day long.  One thing for sure free to play in eq2 is limited, but 25 bucks a month yea right.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Karteli

D3's problem is pretty easy to sum up. In D3, players are reaching the max level, but they aren't able to actually get through the final content. The content they can get through does not give them what they need to get through the content they can't get through.

That's it. The auction house is only relevant in that Blizzard considers it when looking at the drop rates. If they can remove that feeling of hitting a brick wall in the content, then players will keep playing. I don't think players who have stopped playing will come back, but new players won't get to a certain point and shrug the game off.

PvP is a big deal too, but it was horribly unbalanced and really it was just older players farming newer players right outside the gate to the town in D2. It shouldn't be too hard to improve on that.

** edit **

None of this based on XFire. It's based on the people at work who were all playing D3, and then suddenly weren't playing D3.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by lizardbones

D3's problem is pretty easy to sum up. In D3, players are reaching the max level, but they aren't able to actually get through the final content. The content they can get through does not give them what they need to get through the content they can't get through.

To be fair, Blizz is trying to fix it. Inferno was nerfed several times, and the latest patch 1.04, many classes (and drops) are buffed.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

To be fair, Blizz is trying to fix it. Inferno was nerfed several times, and the latest patch 1.04, many classes (and drops) are buffed.

Problem is, its just too late.

I looked forward to play it months before launch.

Got it, played it, got max level, got bored.

Stoppied a month after launch.

I dont even want to touch this again.

I miss Diablo 2 more than Diablo 3.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

1 month, that is way better than most box games already.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by lizardbones D3's problem is pretty easy to sum up. In D3, players are reaching the max level, but they aren't able to actually get through the final content. The content they can get through does not give them what they need to get through the content they can't get through.  

Maybe. It's certainly too late for the people who moved on to GW2...they aren't going to even try D3 again until they've sucked all the fun out of GW2 by talking it to death around the office.

Then there's TL2 coming out in Sept. I wouldn't have considered it a competitor to D3, but with they've already started collecting money to buy 4 packs through Steam and there's been no mention of D3 for awhile.

Again, I can't speak for a large number of people, I'm just relating what's going on around me.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.