Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fansite announces their account database was compromised.. told you so

DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Taken from GW2 Wiki latest state of the game

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates  (sorry forgot to add source)

"Today a Guild Wars related fan site announced that its account database has been breached. That's important but just one of many apparent breaches of other games and web sites that hackers have been collecting email addresses and passwords from. Protect yourself by using a unique password for each game and web site account you care about, and especially be sure to use a unique password for your Guild Wars 2 account."

Like I've said over and over again..... I'm curious what site is was.

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Deathenger

"Today a Guild Wars related fan site announced that its account database has been breached. That's important but just one of many apparent breaches of other games and web sites that hackers have been collecting email addresses and passwords from. Protect yourself by using a unique password for each game and web site account you care about, and especially be sure to use a unique password for your Guild Wars 2 account."

I called it out too and said it is too quick to put all blame on the players. I really feel like posting that old topic here aagain and show the rude comments by the usual suspects (GW2 fanatics) calling people who got hacked idiots, stupid and what not.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Well then, I guess people should change their bloody password and e-mails before they lose their accounts.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

I called it out too and said it is too quick to put all blame on the players. I really feel like posting that old topic here aagain and show the rude comments by the usual suspects (GW2 fanatics) calling people who got hacked idiots, stupid and what not.

The folks who got hacked are "idiots, stupid and whatnot" because they used the same username and password on the fansite and in their GW2 account. Once again, and always into the future - it's the USERS FAULT.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by jpnole

The folks who got hacked are "idiots, stupid and whatnot" because they used the same username and password on the fansite and in their GW2 account. Once again, and always into the future - it's the USERS FAULT.

Thanks for making an appearance on your own.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It's the users fault. It's not the fansites fault lol, and certainly not the account thieves fault.  It's the user's fault. 

People are so awesome.  Instead of having standards for a better world, they rationalize the one we have.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I've never understood why so many MMO's choose to use email as the account name. Is there a reason for this? I'm willing to bet MOST people sign up for a MMO anduse an email that they actually use as email...meaning your account name (email) is now in use and out there in the internet.
  • BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I too think we should know what site it was. I think we have THE RIGHT TO KNOW! Not that I am signed up with any sites aside from this one plus my log in info and pw differs from my GW2 one. If one fansite goes under so be it but we have the right to know who is not protected. I bet the people who run the site didn't even say anything to all the people who are signed up to the compromised site. If I used a site that was compromised I would want to know so I could take preventative measures and also leave that fansite.

Lets go Arenanet get the Iphone and Android App authenticators out already! Other games have them. Just do not do it like SWTOR did and mess it up lol

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Have a link to this info?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

Source?
    Originally posted by Psychow
    I've never understood why so many MMO's choose to use email as the account name. Is there a reason for this? I'm willing to bet MOST people sign up for a MMO anduse an email that they actually use as email...meaning your account name (email) is now in use and out there in the internet.

It really isn't so much the problem of the email itself. It is the fact that they use the same password for everything. That is how they are getting hacked. Basically if you have a universal password you're most likely going to get hacked if they hack into a database and get your email/pw. Every game I play has a different PW than my email and a diff PW for every game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    so.... which fansite?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    I don't think I've registered on any fansites, so I think I'm safe...right? Is there a way to change the email you use for your account to a different email?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

SO wait it's the user at fault for not using some common sense, but yet studios are innocent who don't use some as well? There are plenty of systems available in this day and age that monitor the origin of a log-in, as well as the hardware that said service is being pinged from.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CitalCital Member Posts: 18
    I'm not signed up to any fansite, yet my old Guild wars account was just hacked.. Soo.. Yeah.
    Originally posted by Cital
    I'm not signed up to any fansite, yet my old Guild wars account was just hacked.. Soo.. Yeah.

Wow, they knew your character names too? (Isn't that one of the security features of GW1)

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Have a link to this info?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

Is there a way to change the email you use for your account to a different email?
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Is there a way to change the email you use for your account to a different email?

Yes, unless they disabled that for now. 

Originally posted by Psychow

Yes, unless they disabled that for now. 

Huh. Guess I didn't search hard enough, cuz I didn't see it yet.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

https://lastpass.com/

For anyone interested. Slap a smartphone authenticator app of your choice to the program version you choose (I have it only as a Chrome extension) and voilà. Easily manage unique passwords for all your 100+ websites.

Originally posted by NBlitz

For anyone interested. Slap a smartphone authenticator app of your choice to the program version you choose (I have it only as a Chrome extension) and voilà. Easily manage unique passwords for all your 100+ websites.

I'm guessing it doesn't help you remember passwords for your MMO account because you changed it into something too hard to remember and now you have to wait for your ticket to be responded to after the labor day weekend huh?

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

That isn't true. We were hacked and they were different passwords. All of our passwords are KEYPASS generated so they are effective passwords and different for each account. The password was changed by customer service without any other form of authentication other that they knew the email address of the account. This isn't the only case of it happening like this. Spend five minutes reading the posts on twitter and facebook and you can see. You can blame the "user", but Arena Net should have had more failsafes in place. It isn't like they didn't know that accounts were going to be targetted. To say otherwise is just ignorant...but then again....

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I'm guessing it doesn't help you remember passwords for your MMO account because you changed it into something too hard to remember and now you have to wait for your ticket to be responded to after the labor day weekend huh?

Ouch. Hope you get it sorted out!

/boggle Don't you keep a sticky notepad and pen handy to write down new passwords just incase you make it hard? LOL. Lesson learned huh!