Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need GW2 to fail

Comments

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

I was going to agree with you, until I got to about this part. 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

A prison mmorpg

Not sure I'd want a prison MMO.   The shower room rape boss is pretty brutal.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

OK, first, you have to realize there's no toast. YOU'RE toast.

And then, no we need no games to fail. Ever. Things don't work that way. For example, variety in games doesn't diminish because of successful games, it does so because of unsuccessful ones.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

All joking aside, the most startling thing about this thread is that the OP has offspring.

This is a serious.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    If your 9 year old can't operate a toaster, you probably already failed.
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    If your 9 year old can't operate a toaster, you probably already failed.

Hahaha..thanks for making me laugh. That was funny as hell..lol!!

• Chopper_LoverChopper_Lover Member Posts: 20

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

The secret world sucks , SWTOR was a disaster and hopefully GW2 will bomb.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

Mhan, those are awesome ideas! But I really can't imagine how difficult that would be on the developer's side. I'm not saying it's not possible. It will be too difficult but worth it.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

1. A Prison MMO.... not sure how this would workout but I know i would never play such a game unless the prison is set in a hi-tech future on a massive planet!

2. Wild West MMO ! Might be interesting but would require some high creative writing to pull ppl into this genre!

3. Zombie mmo well this already kinda exists in fantasy mmo's (undead). Again this would be in a high-tech world!

4. i can agree about towns and homes! TSW can still add Apartments to the game!

5. One True server well it can work but the world will still be broken into by servers. The technology isn't there yet to make one true seemless world.

6. Music into our own house ingame! well this will work as long as the home is instanced only on your pc! Why you ask? Because the devs/publisher will have to pay for royalties to use in game! 

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

*Sigh* this again.

It always amuses me when people shout 'failure breeds innovation!'.

Think for 1 second and see if you can find a product that innovated a lot in the last decade then re-read the thought you had; 'failure breeds innovation'. Then calmly think to yourself why you thought wrongly and how to avoid that mistake in the future.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

GW2 moves a good distance away from the WoW formula.  If it failed, then we'd see less innovation, not more as people kept sticking to copying WoW.

Edit:  Oh, I forgot this was the thread with the guy who made his kid cry over toast (and then had his kid go wake up mom for the toast).

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.

This

+1

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Eh...maybe you should stick to making toast for your son?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I really hope that's just a story to try and illustrate your point.

Anyway, if all MMORPG fail to make money, why would developers continue to make MMORPG? When MMORPG are so expensive that most Indie developers cannot make them, why would Indie developers make MMORPG?

If the MMORPG genre "crashed", there wouldn't be any MMORPG developed. The best you could hope for would be Minecraft style 100 or 200 people servers.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

DayZ comes to mind immediately. yeah

• MrRealityMrReality Member Posts: 43
    This is true OP because If I ate toast everyday I would eventually get sick of it. I'm not quite sure some understood what you were trying to say.
  • UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58
    I has a toast :)))
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

The secret world sucks , SWTOR was a disaster and hopefully GW2 will bomb.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

The crash have already happened. Wow started to bleed players fast over a year ago and EAs most expensive game ever failed miserably and decided to go F2P less than 8 months after release. While a few games have done OK like Rift most of them have gone really bad.

We do need GW2 to be a success or noone will invest in the genre again, and we would have to live with really badly made indie games like Mortal online for a long time.

But it shouldt succeed to well either.

In my perfect scenario the MMO genre are topped by 3 large and different game. GW2, Class 4 and World of darkness online would be perfect. GW2 becuase it actually tries to be different and while it is nowhere near so newthinking like games like Archeage it is the first AAA MMO trying to be different, and it is really well made.

But someone also needs to prove that other games than fantasy level based game can make money.

Class 4s different mechanics and zombia apocalypse world is perfect addition since it try to do things very differently but still have some really great names working on it (like lead designer Jaff Strain) and a really good budget.

World of darkness online both because it is a player driven sandbox and because it tries to make a MMO as close to a pen and paper RPG as possible, and CCP is probably the most competent sandbox devs out there in the MMO world at least.

But if GW2 fail as well as TOR while Wow continue to loose players many investors might consider MMOs as a sure way to loose money and might pull the plug on many promising projects. Someone must prove that you still can make money on MMOs, preferably without copying Wow.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    How hard is it to make toast? Put bread in toaster, push button down and wait.

Must be one of those new fandangled "electronic" toasters with a computer on it!  Why, back in my day we just had toasters like what you are describing! You push the button down then wait for it to pop out! If you wanted it lightly toasted, you wait for however long it takes and pop it out yourself!  These new e-lectronic toasters suck!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by itgrowls

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

Phew, Class 4 for the win every day.

Yeah, the picture is from Class 3 which is a introduction to the MMO and a reguklar multiplayer game instead of a MMO.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.

I like GW2 as much as the next person but do you actually like the game as much as you are making out? Seems to me you spend most of your time defending or rebuffing anyone  on these forums who has a different take on GW2 than you have.

How do you find time to play the game?

Go play your game,ArenaNet don't need you to be they're knight in shining armour for god sake.

Fans like you do GW2 more harm than good.

I don't agree with the OP but then again it really does not bother me what people think about GW2,unlike you.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by jpnz

*Sigh* this again.

It always amuses me when people shout 'failure breeds innovation!'.

Think for 1 second and see if you can find a product that innovated a lot in the last decade then re-read the thought you had; 'failure breeds innovation'. Then calmly think to yourself why you thought wrongly and how to avoid that mistake in the future.

I hear that...

Innovation can sometimes breed success if it's value added, but:

-failure WILL NOT breed innovation.

-if making a certain type of game, such as a theme park, results in failure, a company WILL NOT move on to a design with an even worse track record for success.

-the old "themepark vs. sandbox" argument is irrelevent in this day and age.  In the end, most players want CHOICES.  Tons of 'em.  They don't want to be railroaded down a path, nor do they want to be dumped into an MMO that's better described as "etch a sketch online".  People want a game where, no matter which direction they run, they'll find a crapload of different things they can participate in.

GW2 has that.  It doesn't have to be a sandbox to acheive it. 

But hey... ya want sandboxy-ness... try being a cook.

Originally posted by Castillle
    Originally posted by Magnetia How hard is it to make toast? Put bread in toaster, push button down and wait.
    Must be one of those new fandangled "electronic" toasters with a computer on it!  Why, back in my day we just had toasters like what you are describing! You push the button down then wait for it to pop out! If you wanted it lightly toasted, you wait for however long it takes and pop it out yourself!  These new e-lectronic toasters suck!

You could probably teach a 9 year old child how to make toast, even on one of the new toasters. They'll probably be better at it anyway.

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by Thebigthrill A prison mmorpg A cowboy themed mmorpg A zombie mmorpg
    Phew, Class 4 for the win every day.

Yeah, the picture is from Class 3 which is a introduction to the MMO and a reguklar multiplayer game instead of a MMO.

If it's not on a PC, it didn't happen.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Toast is a crap breakfast.

Seriously, you've got a growing boy there, a quick shot of simple carbs just isn't going to cut it. I recommend you at least include a generous helping of image.

On a side note, I made toast in GW2 yesterday, all by myself.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

I like GW2 as much as the next person but do you actually like the game as much as you are making out? Seems to me you spend most of your time defending or rebuffing anyone  on these forums who has a different take on GW2 than you have.

How do you find time to play the game?

Go play your game,ArenaNet don't need you to be they're knight in shining armour for god sake.

Fans like you do GW2 more harm than good.

I don't agree with the OP but then again it really does not bother me what people think about GW2,unlike you.

I agree with you Sylvarii but i think some times frustration is warranted. Some posters here do need to be proven wrong especially when they spread false and wrong information about GW2.

The best way to beat a GW2 troll is to hit them with facts and credible information. However, when people criticise GW2 on basis of valid problems and shortcomings there is no need to bash or insult them. I myself criticise GW2 a lot but then there are people who have some kind of agenda and try to make it appear as if GW2 is failing or going to fail soon.

I mean yesterday a guy was saying that Anet should remake GW2 because they screwed up.. /facepalm.

This discussion has been closed.