Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waiting for a while, will I be left behind?

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I almost never buy any game until after it's been out 6 months. If I wait 6 months to start playing GW2, will I be left behind?

Do you think the game will change a lot in 6 months?

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• RenamedRenamed Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by olepi

I hope so.

• ChuChuTrickChuChuTrick Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Nope, you wont be left behind, the game is designed around having an awesome personal experiance. Any new content should be avaliable to the hardcore gamre and weekend warrior alike.
  • HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    Well, it really doesn't take a lot of time to reach max level so you don't really have to worry about getting left behind there. There isn't much of an endgame gear grind so you won't really have to worry about falling behind there either. You could maybe worry about having to compete against people who are more experienced than you in sPVP but most of the top GW2 sPVPers have been in closed beta for a long time so even if you bought the game today you would be behind. So, in summary, I don't really think you have to worry too much about falling behind by waiting a few months.
  • MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I often wondered how the dynamic events would be, once the zerg horde moved on over the course of the next few mos.  I think they will be played how ANet wanted them to be played, but only time will tell, I guess. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

If I wait 6 months to start playing GW2, will I be left behind?

no

there will always be new people trying the game

existing players rolling alts or scaled down to your level

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I almost never buy any game until after it's been out 6 months. If I wait 6 months to start playing GW2, will I be left behind?

You will not be left behind. GW2 will sell like hotcakes for quite sometime. With the alt-itis inducing play you are sure to run into people levelling in 6 months as well as new players alike.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

You won't be left behind in anything since there is no tier based dungeon progression here. You can stop and comeback and start playing game again whenever you feel like. Is that what you were trying to say?

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

If being logical and not either a fanboy or hater then TBH it's hard to say . No one , not even the armchair Dev's that litter the forums can predict what will happen in 6 months time 

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

you won't be left behind, im still going back to areas as a lvl 76 :) just fun times plus my alts are comin soon

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Alt-itis? Oh no! I get that bad if the game is good for it.

I loved CoH for two reasons: easy grouping,. and tons of alts. What I've been hearing, and seen in later MMO's, is a reduced focus on grouping. But alt-itis is something I can catch :)

------------

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

No you will not be left behind. They have a wonderful leveling system. If you have friends who are level 80 they can come play with you no matter what your level is. They will delevel down to you. Even the first dungeon which is at level 30 a level 80 can play it and will be level 30.

I hope in 6 months they have added more things like housing and guild halls. Maybe some more dungeons because I like when games kick out content as does everyone else lol. But really why wait 6 months? You only buy the game once and never have to pay for it again. I am sure you can enjoy it now and won't regret it. Even if you get bored or something you can always come back anytime because you own the game. I am having a blast and loving every minute of it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

You won't be left behind in anything since there is no tier based dungeon progression here. You can stop and comeback and start playing game again whenever you feel like. Is that what you were trying to say?

There's really no place "to go" so you can't really fall behind much.

Couple of months in you'll be caught up with the best of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to get GW2 and start playing it then.

My favorite games are open "virtual worlds", and exploring and just existing in these worlds is half the fun for me. Sounds like GW2 could be good for me.

I also had a BLAST with DAOC in the early days doing RvR. Nothing since has come close, so I have high hopes there too.

Now if they just had a scenario editor like Ryzom, where you can be DM and watch the others play ....

------------

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    You're better off progressing your already lvl 85 WoW toon to 90, its better than GW2.  GW2 is boring.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to get GW2 and start playing it then.

My favorite games are open "virtual worlds", and exploring and just existing in these worlds is half the fun for me. Sounds like GW2 could be good for me.

I also had a BLAST with DAOC in the early days doing RvR. Nothing since has come close, so I have high hopes there too.

Now if they just had a scenario editor like Ryzom, where you can be DM and watch the others play ....

Good choice. I think in the end you will be happy you got this game now instead of in 6 months. There is definetly lots to explore. Hell I hate exploring I can't stand it but for some odd reason I am loving it in this game. Maybe its the scenery or something I don't know. I still need to explore harder to find those jump puzzles people keep talking about. I love puzzles lol.

Originally posted by Betaguy
    You're better off progressing your already lvl 85 WoW toon to 90, its better than GW2.  GW2 is boring.

I actually never played WoW. I went from DAOC, to City of Heroes, to Ryzom, to PotBS and Vanguard.

I used to play new MMO's, but I took an arrow in the knee, and am occupied with that for now.

------------

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I actually never played WoW. I went from DAOC, to City of Heroes, to Ryzom, to PotBS and Vanguard.

I used to play new MMO's, but I took an arrow in the knee, and am occupied with that for now.

I still play DAoC atm... only decent  RvR imo.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37

Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?

I still play DAoC atm... only decent  RvR imo.

I got my first 50, a mini, a little after Shrouded Isles came out.  The old Emain.

I did play some when NF came out, but not for very long. I actually liked CoH a lot; the best game there was for informal grouping. CoH had the "fireworks" factor, where the graphics could set off your brain :)

PoTBS is fun for someone who is a real sailor, and Vanguard is pretty good too (especially with an SSD drive).

Being a Lord of the Rings fanatic (the books), I got a lifetime to LoTRO. Not bad, but I don't play much. SWTOR was a waste of time, as was Tabula Rasa (IMHO).

The two most fun times I've ever had was in DAOC doing RvR, and Ryzom after I built a scenario, published it, and watched players solve my puzzles. Great fun!

------------

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46

Some people hit the level cap in a long weekend so at most you'll be a couple days behind.  :)