Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

i am worried--for this game

ArcheAgeFanArcheAgeFan new york, NYPosts: 46Member

Ok i did some look into this game from kickstarter, this game is suppose to be mmo earthrise independent dev whos making them.

 

There are a few concerns, hero engine---- swtor anyone?

and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay.

3rd what makes you think this wont be another earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online?

«13

Comments

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ArcheAgeFan

    Ok i did some look into this game from kickstarter, this game is suppose to be mmo earthrise independent dev whos making them.

     

    There are a few concerns, hero engine---- swtor anyone?

    and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay.

    3rd what makes you think this wont be another earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online?

    Although your post comes across as an ArchAge fan just trying to crap on what they fear may be competition, Iet's assume it's genuine concerns...

    What dev from Earthrise is working on this?

    What makes you think ArchAge will ever be released in NA/EU and, if it does get released here, what makes you think it will do better than DF or MO?

    See what I did thar?

     

     

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • TrionicusTrionicus Fort Lauderdale, FLPosts: 497Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by ArcheAgeFan

    Ok i did some look into this game from kickstarter, this game is suppose to be mmo earthrise independent dev whos making them.

     

    There are a few concerns, hero engine---- swtor anyone?

    and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay.

    3rd what makes you think this wont be another earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online?

    Although your post comes across as an ArchAge fan just trying to crap on what they fear may be competition, Iet's assume it's genuine concerns...

    What dev from Earthrise is working on this?

    What makes you think ArchAge will ever be released in NA/EU and, if it does get released here, what makes you think it will do better than DF or MO?

    See what I did thar?

     

     

    I saw what u did there, very nice sir, very nice indeed.

  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

    I guess there is a well laid out plan for how the game will feel, which attracts people, like sandboxers.  The alpha videos were so-so, but it's still early to mid in development I suppose, so I'll wait and see.

     

    On the Hero Engine, SWTOR had procured an unfinished version sometime early in the games development, thinking that coding an engine was a walk in the park - they would just fill in what was missing and make it work, within their unique specifications.  Well they bought what there was, then found out it wasn't so easy.  It was rumored also that the EA Bioware people who supported buying (and knew all about) the unsupported early version had left the company way before the game released ... but after Hero was paid.

     

    The sad series of events was only known about because EA had to balls to say that the graphics engine couldn't be improved upon much because of limitations of the Hero engine.  To which (surprise surprise) Hero posted all the events and poor decisions by EA to clear their name.  So the blame fell back on EA.  The source for the SWTOR-Hero engine is so mutilated from the original, that Hero will not support it.

    Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

  • ArcheAgeFanArcheAgeFan new york, NYPosts: 46Member
    You know why I'm skeptical it looks good on paper but what about the final release that is the skeptical part. Don't get me wrong it looks interesting.
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,002Member Uncommon

    You should be worried, MMORPG's cost money to make, and when a company starts begging for chump change on Kickstarter it's probably a red flag in terms of predicting the game's long term success.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Somewhere, WAPosts: 294Member


    Originally posted by Kyleran
    You should be worried, MMORPG's cost money to make, and when a company starts begging for chump change on Kickstarter it's probably a red flag in terms of predicting the game's long term success. 

    Actually they have been working on the game for free up until this point. So for them this isnt chump change. All the work up until they posted it on Kickstart was all on their free time and out of there own pocket. Even with the $ from Kickstart they are working on this for free as most of that $ is probably being spent on hardware and other resoucres needed in order to launch a game.

    Playing Fallen Earth.

  • BardusBardus Cornet, ALPosts: 460Member
    Originally posted by Lunchbox76

     


    Originally posted by Kyleran
    You should be worried, MMORPG's cost money to make, and when a company starts begging for chump change on Kickstarter it's probably a red flag in terms of predicting the game's long term success.

     

     


     

    Actually they have been working on the game for free up until this point. So for them this isnt chump change. All the work up until they posted it on Kickstart was all on their free time and out of there own pocket. Even with the $ from Kickstart they are working on this for free as most of that $ is probably being spent on hardware and other resoucres needed in order to launch a game.

     

    Correct I think. These guys have been working on this game for I believe 4 or 5 years on their own time and dime. I don't think anyone but a few artist have been paid anything yet and there is no office rent or other bills and taxes. 

    Look where all that money goes in the big companies. They have staff, insurance, taxes, vacations, office space and so on to pay for. The question is, where does most of the millions go we see invested in AAA games? Is it the actual button clicking and hardware to build the game or is it the cost of doing business? The guys making Repop  have no cost of doing business. The only money that needs spent is for the art, hardware and other like things they are not capable of doing themselves.

    Also Hero Engine is working hand and hand with the devs. Hero is not making a dime on this until it releases but they very much have a vested interest. Repop is going to be Hero's flag ship game so don't think for a second Hero isn't investing in Repop themselves.

    image

  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Ehrenfeld, PAPosts: 2,977Member

    @ OP

    You really don't have to worry at this point.

    I actually got full faith in this dev team and hope their game is truley a success story and if it is, well it will definitely turn heads against the bigger corps on what kind of mmorpg we all are looking for.

  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Cedar Springs, MIPosts: 762Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

    @ OP

    You really don't have to worry at this point.

    I actually got full faith in this dev team and hope their game is truley a success story and if it is, well it will definitely turn heads against the bigger corps on what kind of mmorpg we all are looking for.

    We can only hope that what you say will be correct... I hope it is...

  • KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Holloman AFB, NMPosts: 144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyleran

    You should be worried, MMORPG's cost money to make, and when a company starts begging for chump change on Kickstarter it's probably a red flag in terms of predicting the game's long term success.

     

    MMOs don't cost as much as people think if you have no overhead and no paychecks going out.

  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by Bardus

    Also Hero Engine is working hand and hand with the devs. Hero is not making a dime on this until it releases but they very much have a vested interest. Repop is going to be Hero's flag ship game so don't think for a second Hero isn't investing in Repop themselves.

    The Repopulation has it's own space on the Hero website, so I don't doubt this.

     

    http://www.heroengine.com/spotlights/the-repopulation/

    Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph SarajevoPosts: 1,070Member Uncommon
    any engine is good if are devs good

    only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

  • RenamedRenamed RiyadhPosts: 10Member

    Why do you think earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online were failures?

    If a game developer sells only 50 thousand copies of a game at ~40$ each while it cost them ~1 million to create, then it was surely a successful game. Even if it was their only source of income. Why? Because it made far more than its cost.

  • TweFojuTweFoju Saitama & Jakarta ( current )Posts: 1,013Member Uncommon

    yes i am worried too, i mean, when i play a game, especially MMO where there will always be an endless progression, i don't want the game to end sooner than we expected ( aka close down )

    just like Earthrise, actually this game almost is similar to Earthrise, a seamless 1 world server, true sandbox with faction, player made structure ( although Earthrise doesnt have any city builder )

    and if i recall, they had more budget than Repop too

    so, because to find this kind of MMO is hard now a days, i just hope that this doesnt turn into the 2nd Earthrise, i even hope that this game can last more than a decade, because if there is a game like this, i will be very dedicated to it

    So What Now?

  • MarlonBMarlonB HoensbroekPosts: 520Member Uncommon

    I had the same concerns ... at first.

     

    But now that i've spend some time on their forums and got to know the people behind Repop better, i am no longer concerned.

    These people are passioned, old-skool gamers that work on this every minute of their free time with much enthusiasm .. for several years already. They are not influenced by marketing suits or managers .. the full focus  is on making a FUN game.

     

    How often my friends and I moaned about the crappy state of games these days and "we should create our own".. well ... these guys did!

     

     

    "There are a few concerns, hero engine---- swtor anyone?"

    Engine is totally unrelated to the fun factor of the game.

     

    "and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay."

    Repop works with a lot of volunteering specialists. These people volunteer because they believe in The Repopulation and want to build a fun game, not another one of "those". AA has a payroll, the people that work there do so because they get paid for it, though that's not to say they are not equally passionate about it.

    No overhead, hard work and dedication, the low entry cost of hero engine and a lot of community support makes it possible.

     

     

     

     

     

    The Repopulation - Scfi Fi Sandbox.

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

    Ive been burned by way to many indie developers. Not getting excited for this. Will sit back and wait for a playable demo/trial/beta before i drop change on another indie game.

    But with that being said I wish the team luck and hope they can create a quality product. But trying to compare this game to ArcheAge is just dumb. ArcheAge has a very very good team behind it, a good budget, argueably the best engine out, and a very smart lead designer and amazing artists/animators.

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member

    People shouldn't talk about gaming engines if they really don't have a clue about them.  SWTOR's version of Hero, is basically their own.  As has been discussed on this website ad nauseum, the version Bioware purchased ages ago was incomplete.  It was in alpha/beta condition at the time, and they purchased it anyway because they needed it and were planning to highly modify the source code.

    Basically, the SWTOR version of Hero is there own engine and it does not reflect the current very well built Hero engine.

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

    People shouldn't talk about gaming engines if they really don't have a clue about them.  SWTOR's version of Hero, is basically their own.  As has been discussed on this website ad nauseum, the version Bioware purchased ages ago was incomplete.  It was in alpha/beta condition at the time, and they purchased it anyway because they needed it and were planning to highly modify the source code.

    Basically, the SWTOR version of Hero is there own engine and it does not reflect the current very well built Hero engine.

    The Hero Engine might not have been proven to be a failure with SWTOR because of how they took an unfinished product, but it hasn't been proven a successful good engine yet either. 

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • darker70darker70 stokePosts: 813Member
    Originally posted by MarlonB

    I had the same concerns ... at first.

     

    But now that i've spend some time on their forums and got to know the people behind Repop better, i am no longer concerned.

    These people are passioned, old-skool gamers that work on this every minute of their free time with much enthusiasm .. for several years already. They are not influenced by marketing suits or managers .. the full focus  is on making a FUN game.

     

    How often my friends and I moaned about the crappy state of games these days and "we should create our own".. well ... these guys did!

     

     

    "There are a few concerns, hero engine---- swtor anyone?"

    Engine is totally unrelated to the fun factor of the game.

     

    "and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay."

    Repop works with a lot of volunteering specialists. These people volunteer because they believe in The Repopulation and want to build a fun game, not another one of "those". AA has a payroll, the people that work there do so because they get paid for it, though that's not to say they are not equally passionate about it.

    No overhead, hard work and dedication, the low entry cost of hero engine and a lot of community support makes it possible.

     

     Well said Marlon and gratz on the purple,nice to see the team expanding i'll still fly the flag for the Teal as best  I can.image

     

     

     

     

    image

  • wowcloneswowclones Los Angeles, CAPosts: 127Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Although your post comes across as an ArchAge fan just trying to crap on what they fear may be competition, Iet's assume it's genuine concerns...What dev from Earthrise is working on this?What makes you think ArchAge will ever be released in NA/EU and, if it does get released here, what makes you think it will do better than DF or MO?See what I did thar?

     

     

    Couldn't have said it better Lok. Anyone wasting there time worrying about a game that isn't due out for a year still in alpha has issues or is just a hater. There are a million other things you could be worried about, like Archeage's North American release  announcement.

  • RyukanRyukan Mason, MIPosts: 706Member Uncommon
    I was under the impression that ex-SWG devs were working on this, everything about is certainly reminds me of pre-NGE SWG. I even saw a post from a dev on the official forums that mentioned the first expansion being a JTL-ish space expansion (which just about made me cream my jeans). At any rate this is my #1 most anticipated MMO coming out; if it ends up being as good as it sounds I'll drop all other games for this. (pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)
  • joshuahallsjoshuahalls Bloomington, ILPosts: 78Member Uncommon
    There are no former SWG devs on our team, not sure where that came from :-).  A lot of people influenced by it though.

    Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

  • JC-SmithJC-Smith Chiang MaiPosts: 412Member Uncommon

    Actually there is one former SWG dev that Josh probably missed as it was just a part on his resume, but he is a volunteer who came on in the past 6 months just wanting to contribute to the project. He is the only former SOE employee on the team though.

    We should stress, the game is similar to SWG in spirit and some of its designs. But it is not an SWG clone in any way. Many of our mechanics are very different. But similar to SWG it is a sandbox, features deep crafting, city building, has a similar pet system, skills based, etc. The PvE game is very different from SWG though, and many of the mechanics of other areas are very different. Although both games are skills based, for example, there are no boxes and mastery in Repop. You can use DNA to improve skills, but you don't unlock boxes. Abilities are earned through skill trees, but not automatically, you must acquire the Training Cards for them. We have many similarities to SWG, but Repop is also a very different game.

  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member
     If this game releases at all it is more apt to be released in horrid condition.  But that said, miracles can and do happen, so let's wait and see because they do have some pretty good ideas.
  • MarlonBMarlonB HoensbroekPosts: 520Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Terranah
     If this game releases at all it is more apt to be released in horrid condition.  But that said, miracles can and do happen, so let's wait and see because they do have some pretty good ideas.

    SWG was in horrid condition, yet the most fun i ever had ;)

    The Repopulation - Scfi Fi Sandbox.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.