Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Yes I would, I haven't had this much fun in years.

The shear amount of content is this game puts a lot of recent subscription based games to shame.

I have found very little of all this "content" to be what I conder "fun". It's a zergfest where your enjoyment may be based upon your ability to quickly tab target and / or AOE everything in sight so you can get credit for killing the mob before it's disintegrated in 2 seconds or less.

There are things in the game that are enjoyable. I love the exploring. I love the crafting. I love the shared gathering nodes. But the PvE "content" is supposed to centered around these Dynamic Events and I have yet to find them engaging or fun. In fact, whenever one pops up I tend to roll my eyes and lo-and behold here comes the 20-man zerg and the "event" is quickly over. Yay?

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I would much rather pay a monthly fee than get nickel and dimed to death for every little thing in the game.  The extra bag, for example.
  • trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Well its a tough question and as an avid Pay to play kind of player Im not finding it easy to get my head round gems and cash.

I would love it if GW2 was pay to play but everything would need to change, Im not playing monthly AND getting such a tiny bank space.

Im keeping in mind my own sig, Be a fan not a fanboy, so Ill just say Im so glad I picked up this game and kept going,

I found it quite hard when I took my elemental up to 20, switched to a class that can survive better and now im cruising thru the lvls, in fact I spent the whole of yesterday lvl 25 running around a new starting area collecting cooking stuff and exploring the map.

A wonderfull game id recomend to anyone, only thing im not happy with is the utter rubbish on chat with trolls and a fair bit of racisim. I dont understand why people feel the need to say whatever they want to other players in general chat.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i voted no.

i'm not sold on the "no trinity" thing. WvW is a huge zerg fest. combat is incredibly fast paced and i'm not sure i like all these 3 second abilities that go on cooldown even if you dont hit anything. the camera mouse is making me want to punch something. if i could only punch those guys that kept using the "seamless world" frase wehn describing GW2.....there is a lot of instancing, even WvW is split in zones. there are NO sandbox features here, TOTAL themepark (wasn't really expecting any).

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I would gladly pay up to $15 a month to any mmo I am active with, cheap gaming. I won't pay more simply because of precidence and principal.

I would be very satisfied with FTB with a $15 month. That is no pruchase neccesary but with a $15 a month charge. That would make me try out a lot of games that want $20 or more that I don't because of that initial cost, like Tera, like TSW, like Star Wars. Again if I like it and am active $15 is nothing.

That said, I'm not sure why there aren't $5 and $10 a month subs. Seems very legit to me. Guild Wars 1 and even 2 just capturing $5 per month seems reasonable and if it brought in more new content, better servers and support, I'd be totally for it. Again if I'm actively playing a mmo, this charge is dirt cheap vs buying new games instead.

Guild Wars 2 cannot know ask for $15 a month even if they wanted, they sold us a game with terms in stone imo. Now if they offered something for it, then that is another story, like $25 in gems each month for $15...

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i voted no.

i'm not sold on the "no trinity" thing. WvW is a huge zerg fest. combat is incredibly fast paced and i'm not sure i like all these 3 second abilities that go on cooldown even if you dont hit anything. the camera mouse is making me want to punch something. if i could only punch those guys that kept using the "seamless world" frase wehn describing GW2.....there is a lot of instancing, even WvW is split in zones. there are NO sandbox features here, TOTAL themepark (wasn't really expecting any).

pretty much this.

and i just want to say instead of guild wars it should be called Zerg Wars. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Psychow

The shear amount of content is this game puts a lot of recent subscription based games to shame.

I have found very little of all this "content" to be what I conder "fun". It's a zergfest where your enjoyment may be based upon your ability to quickly tab target and / or AOE everything in sight so you can get credit for killing the mob before it's disintegrated in 2 seconds or less.

There are things in the game that are enjoyable. I love the exploring. I love the crafting. I love the shared gathering nodes. But the PvE "content" is supposed to centered around these Dynamic Events and I have yet to find them engaging or fun. In fact, whenever one pops up I tend to roll my eyes and lo-and behold here comes the 20-man zerg and the "event" is quickly over. Yay?

True there  are 20 man bumrush to events and it's quickly dealt with, wait a few more weeks and the population will spread out more and the zones will change due to no instant zerge groups pop up.

And yes some DEs are somewhat boring the real fun ones are the ones you trigger your self by talking to npc or kill some mobs.

I still find DE system much more fun the world feels alive more "dynamic" than classic quest hub1--------->quest hub2------->kill mobs that just stand still in packs to ding to next level.

Atleast I can skip DE in GW2, in classic games you cant skip quests beacuse they tend to be linked to next quest hub and if u havent done the first ones the quests in the second quest hub isnt there for me to do.

GW2 is a breeze of fresh air for me.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i voted no.

WvW is a huge zerg fest.

It's a frikkin server battle what did you expect, 1v1?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Westside32Westside32 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Really?  If i see one more person post that W v W v W is nothing but a zerg fest I am going to scream.  Explain to me who you can have massive PvP with out a zerg?  Explain or show a case of a game with 50 or more people on each team isnt a zerg to begin with.  Stop crying about things that are inherent to what you are crying about.  At least GW2's W v W v W has tried to accomplish this  with the supply chains and multitude of defensive positions you can attack besides just THE MAIN TARGET.  There is a ton of Tactics and strategies involved in winning W v W v W.  Majority of all these negative posts really sound like you logged in got to level 2 jumped to W v W v W ran to a keep see more then 10 people attacking log off and called it all zerg.  No way you invested any credible non biased time in the game.   I really feel all you haters, hated the game before it came out and are now just using anything you can try to grasp on too, to make the game sound as bad as you want it portrayed.  Is it the holy grail of MMO's? No.   Is it the worst thing to come down the pipe this year? No.   Again if you do not like the game then move on and stop wasting your time and ours on these stupid posts.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Westside32
    Really?  If i see one more person post that W v W v W is nothing but a zerg fest I am going to scream.  Explain to me who you can have massive PvP with out a zerg?  Explain or show a case of a game with 50 or more people on each team isnt a zerg to begin with.  Stop crying about things that are inherent to what you are crying about.  At least GW2's W v W v W has tried to accomplish this  with the supply chains and multitude of defensive positions you can attack besides just THE MAIN TARGET.  There is a ton of Tactics and strategies involved in winning W v W v W.  Majority of all these negative posts really sound like you logged in got to level 2 jumped to W v W v W ran to a keep see more then 10 people attacking log off and called it all zerg.  No way you invested any credible non biased time in the game.   I really feel all you haters, hated the game before it came out and are now just using anything you can try to grasp on too, to make the game sound as bad as you want it portrayed.  Is it the holy grail of MMO's? No.   Is it the worst thing to come down the pipe this year? No.   Again if you do not like the game then move on and stop wasting your time and ours on these stupid posts.

WvW is nothing but a zerg fest.

i just wanted to make you scream.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by vanderghast

I would have cancelled my subscription the first day once i realized there was nothing in the game but heart quests and DE's.  The games system reminds me too much of that last Final fantasy MMO where there were no quests just those stupid guild leves.  There's no content in this game and leveling becomes a chore that requires you to craft just to slightly keep up with he areas your in.  One stupid quest for each level and then a bunch of random walking around.  I don't feel compelled at all to explore because i know i'll run into a bunch of mobs i have to kill that give almost zero experience for killing.  I feel absolutely no desire to go explore that cave over there because what's the point?  The half hour i'll be in there i'll get maybe a bubble of experience and for what? 

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.  I can't beleive this game was in development for this long.  Would it really have been that hard to put a few quests in there just to give you some kind of reason to explore the world other than seeing another cave or another field?

If this game had a subscription, it would be a massive failure.

I cannot possibly disagree more. This game's PvE is packed tight with content. You practical are tripping over things to do and are showered with XP no matter what you are doing. I'm only level 38 but there is a ton of content I've already missed!

Perhaps it would have been better to say it does not have content you enjoy?

Anyways to the OP it's hard to say. One of the main appealing features of Guild Wars is the lack of monthly fee. I like to enjoy multiple games at once. On average I'm playing 3-5 games a month. So this meshes well with my play style. Monthly sub games I feel committed to play the game, and that commitment ultimately drives me away.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by trozyxxx

Well its a tough question and as an avid Pay to play kind of player Im not finding it easy to get my head round gems and cash.

I would love it if GW2 was pay to play but everything would need to change, Im not playing monthly AND getting such a tiny bank space.

Im keeping in mind my own sig, Be a fan not a fanboy, so Ill just say Im so glad I picked up this game and kept going,

I found it quite hard when I took my elemental up to 20, switched to a class that can survive better and now im cruising thru the lvls, in fact I spent the whole of yesterday lvl 25 running around a new starting area collecting cooking stuff and exploring the map.

A wonderfull game id recomend to anyone, only thing im not happy with is the utter rubbish on chat with trolls and a fair bit of racisim. I dont understand why people feel the need to say whatever they want to other players in general chat.

I keep  seeing people complaining about bag / bank space....

On top of your "normal" bank, you also have the collectables/crafting mats section which gives you nearly 300 slots of space.

How many MMOs even HAVE 300 slots in a bank? Not many.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I am honest... no, i wouldnt. No game is worthy of that.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Pay 140 bucks or so a year for one game...

Or buy maybe 5-14 new and old games with the same amount of money.  Eh, I think I'd go with more games.

And frankly, if it had a sub, that would encourage them to make design choices that I wouldn't like in the future.  As a non-sub game, they don't have the same financial incentives at work.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

I keep  seeing people complaining about bag / bank space....

On top of your "normal" bank, you also have the collectables/crafting mats section which gives you nearly 300 slots of space.

How many MMOs even HAVE 300 slots in a bank? Not many.

Everyone can also make their own guild and belong to multiple guids.

Make your own guild.  Get 1000 influence in it.  Spend it on a 50 slot guild bank.  Get more if you want.  I'm making a guild on each of my characters.

And heck, gems right now aren't that bad.  2 gold would be enough for another bank tab (30 slots).

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Pay 140 bucks or so a year for one game...

Or buy maybe 5-14 new and old games with the same amount of money.  Eh, I think I'd go with more games.

And frankly, if it had a sub, that would encourage them to make design choices that I wouldn't like in the future.  As a non-sub game, they don't have the same financial incentives at work.

So you're saying the best choice is to just stop making MM0's unless they are free or cost less than some cheap games on Steam. Gotcha...

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I would but only if they removed all the instancing and made it a seemless world (for the most part I understand dungeons and what not being instanced).
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I do not pay monthly fees for any game whatsoever.

Or should I say, I will never pay monthly fees for any game whatsoever anymore. There are too many F2P and freemium games out there, and going to be released that there is no reason to ever do it again.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't think a $15 subscription fee for an mmo they like/love is not worth it. I mean, seriously, it's .50 cents a day to play 24 hours a day if you like. Where else can you get entertainment like that? I know I can't, except netflix $8 a month. Family of 3 nice dinner out, $100-$150. Movie for 3, I can't get out of there less than $75 bucks.  I know people that spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year on xbox/playstation games that they beat in a day or tow, and end up spending way more than a years subscription to an mmo. I just don't get how people would fight against 50 cents a day, heh.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Kraylor
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

GW2 is going back to realizing what made MMOs special?  What planet are you living on?  A world that is separated by loading screens, instanced pvp, no player housing/cities, no open world pvp, no crafting driven economy, easy mode game that takes a matter of days for hardcore or weeks for casual to level cap....that is going back to the MMO roots? 

I am pretty sure majority of players wouldn't even touch the MMO with features you just described. So i am glad GW2 isn't going back to the roots.

I am willing to accept that I am part of a niche, but that niche is what the MMOs were founded upon.  Tell me, why would you not want a more complex and deep MMO?

Almost everything you described has nothing to do with complexity or depth.  

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    If they would just make games into a virtual reality that we had complete control over, we wouldn't be having these discussions.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Nope. I can't afford subscriptions; more accurately, I'm too much of a pennypincher to even consider it nowadays.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Amjoco

It might be because this isn't Rift or WoW where you race to the end of the game to start playing it. These players that are level 80 already are stuck in that mindset and missed the entire premise of the game.  

The game is jam packed full of content, some people are just looking for the way they want it to be, not the way it is presented. 

The problem is to some MMORPG means something greater than strictly dev content and PVP. This is why so many games have went F2P IMO ( and of course then there's WOW). Not every MMO gamer comes from these games I certainly don't and I know I'm not alone. This content designed MMO trend has failed over and over and over to hold so many players. Simply because the most important pillar to these players is missing, community oriented design. Nothing to build toward as a community. No real reason to interact outside of running a dungeon or PVP group. Where's the true co-dependence? WHere's the reason to interact?

I felt it in WAR and I feel it again here, that they make it far to easy to just ignore that aspect and just play solo (around others instead of working with others). There's more to this genre than WOW....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

GW2 is going back to realizing what made MMOs special?  What planet are you living on?  A world that is separated by loading screens, instanced pvp, no player housing/cities, no open world pvp, no crafting driven economy, easy mode game that takes a matter of days for hardcore or weeks for casual to level cap....that is going back to the MMO roots? 

I am pretty sure majority of players wouldn't even touch the MMO with features you just described. So i am glad GW2 isn't going back to the roots.

I am willing to accept that I am part of a niche, but that niche is what the MMOs were founded upon.  Tell me, why would you not want a more complex and deep MMO?

Almost everything you described has nothing to do with complexity or depth.  

You are being puposely obtuse, ignorant, or haven't played a MMO pre WoW.  Nobody with any objectivity can say that any AAA release in the past 5 years is more complex and deep than UO, SWG, EQ, Vanguard, or DAoC.  You can say it has more scripted PvE content...but that's it, and it lacks any other kind of content.

The opposite of complex and deep is an instanced world with no open world pvp, no player housing/cities, no player driven economy, 6-8 classes that can be leveled in 2 weeks or less.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Psychow

There are people that find full loot pvp fun.  Everyone enjoys different things.  I had an event today that started with gatheriing underwater artifacts, which i almost chose not to do because I didn't feel like swimming, but figured what the hell and did it.  After it was over the npc ran back to town and I followed him.  Upon arrival at town another NPC comes running over and they discuss the artifacts, and how one appears ot be a summoning stone.  Then pirates attacked to try to get the artifacts back, and had to be fended off.  After the pirate attack, the artifacts were transported to another location and had to be protected.  Then at that location they end up summoning a badass imp to fight, which was not an easy fight.  It was *very* engaging to me and interesting to see unfold.  And the world is chock full of things like this.  Its a very unique style and a breath of fresh air for many people.