Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Nope.

Not because GW2 is bad but because I've given up on subscription games. SWTOR was the last game to ever get a subscription out of me.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

this a first timer for me, playing gw.

no, i would and will not sub.

the only games i will sub is ps2 and archeage.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    Game is a step back from GW1 imo...I can't stand it

Honost question: In what way it's a step back?

Since GW1 was NOT a MMORPG and GW2 is supose to be, how is it a step back.

Not playing GW2 just yet, did play GW1 but never gone futher with it as I never got any expension for it. To me GW1 was a fun game for a very short period. Though I do very much understand it if people consider GW1 a MMO as many lobby combat oriented co-op games these day's also carry the tag MMO.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Yes.

Not having one just makes it that much better.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by vanderghast

I would have cancelled my subscription the first day once i realized there was nothing in the game but heart quests and DE's.  The games system reminds me too much of that last Final fantasy MMO where there were no quests just those stupid guild leves.  There's no content in this game and leveling becomes a chore that requires you to craft just to slightly keep up with he areas your in.  One stupid quest for each level and then a bunch of random walking around.  I don't feel compelled at all to explore because i know i'll run into a bunch of mobs i have to kill that give almost zero experience for killing.  I feel absolutely no desire to go explore that cave over there because what's the point?  The half hour i'll be in there i'll get maybe a bubble of experience and for what? 

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.  I can't beleive this game was in development for this long.  Would it really have been that hard to put a few quests in there just to give you some kind of reason to explore the world other than seeing another cave or another field?

If this game had a subscription, it would be a massive failure.

This pretty much is exactly how I feel about the game.

I think its ironic that you have this as your description:

"Developers forgot what made mmos special. Until we get that back the genre wont move forward."

GW2 is EXACTLY developers going back and realizing what made MMOs special.  Easily the best game world since EQ1.  MMOs were special because they were virtual worlds to experience.  In games like EQ and UO you werent told what to do, you just experienced things.

Yet, you are saying you don't like GW2 because they arent telling you what to do enough.

I realize this is just my opinion, and not everyone will feel this way.  But here is a fact for you:  relative to any other MMo at release GW has a LOT of content.  Trying to say it does not makes you just look stupid.  In reality you just don't prefer the type of content GW2 has, but its certainly there.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

If I could afford subscriptions then I would definitely pay sub for GW2, I love the game. Sadly, 15 dollars is too much in my country (or at least for my poor wallet), so I'm glad it's B2P. :)

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

No, I would not play the game with a monthly sub or with some kind of p2w ingame shop system. It is still GW2, you cant expect a blockbuster mmorpg like WoW which wasnt GW1 aswell.

The best is that you can start doing instant pvp without leveling, so this quiete cool for the crowd who has not the time for leveling up all the way to 80.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by abyss404
    I'm sorry, but everytime I see someone complain about paying a sub. all I see is "I'm cheap and need to get a better job so I stop thinking of $15 a month as the end of the proverbial world".

You gotta realize that some of us don t have alot of time so often we dont get our moneys worth......

$15 bucks is an extremely cheap night out.  A movie and a popcorn costs more than 15 bucks.  So its not hard to get value for it.

I know MMO playing has saved me a ton of money over the years.

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

I would if they planned to add enough content to keep my attention at end game and more eternal WvW maps that switch each week. I'm not talking about raids but epic story based content. In my opinion raids are pointless end game.

Unfortunatly the B2P model is going to limit how much content they add and how often they release it so it's going to be a long wait for content once the hype for the game settels.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Agree with the above poster.

I get the feeling that a good chunk of players playing GW2 are doing it because its a buy once, play for life and because its the new kid on the block.

With that in mind, I get the feeling Arenanet will not be doing that much money through the cash shop, enough to keep the game content flowing as we expect now in 2012.

Let's be honest, we are getting pretty cheapskates lately and I bet a lot of GW2 folks play because they want to play a decent game and not spend a dime after the box/digital purchase.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by teakbois

I would have cancelled my subscription the first day once i realized there was nothing in the game but heart quests and DE's.  The games system reminds me too much of that last Final fantasy MMO where there were no quests just those stupid guild leves.  There's no content in this game and leveling becomes a chore that requires you to craft just to slightly keep up with he areas your in.  One stupid quest for each level and then a bunch of random walking around.  I don't feel compelled at all to explore because i know i'll run into a bunch of mobs i have to kill that give almost zero experience for killing.  I feel absolutely no desire to go explore that cave over there because what's the point?  The half hour i'll be in there i'll get maybe a bubble of experience and for what? 

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.  I can't beleive this game was in development for this long.  Would it really have been that hard to put a few quests in there just to give you some kind of reason to explore the world other than seeing another cave or another field?

"Developers forgot what made mmos special. Until we get that back the genre wont move forward."

GW2 is EXACTLY developers going back and realizing what made MMOs special.  Easily the best game world since EQ1.  MMOs were special because they were virtual worlds to experience.  In games like EQ and UO you werent told what to do, you just experienced things.

Yet, you are saying you don't like GW2 because they arent telling you what to do enough.

I realize this is just my opinion, and not everyone will feel this way.  But here is a fact for you:  relative to any other MMo at release GW has a LOT of content.  Trying to say it does not makes you just look stupid.  In reality you just don't prefer the type of content GW2 has, but its certainly there.

GW2 is going back to realizing what made MMOs special?  What planet are you living on?  A world that is separated by loading screens, instanced pvp, no player housing/cities, no open world pvp, no crafting driven economy, easy mode game that takes a matter of days for hardcore or weeks for casual to level cap....that is going back to the MMO roots? 

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• Westside32Westside32 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Do you know what I am really getting tired of in the MMO industry.  People pushing what they feel about a game as fact about a game.  Instead of claming THE GAME sucks, is boring , is this or is that.  Trying saying THAT I got bored of the game, that the game is not for ME.  All you imbeciles get on here and cry and moan and bitch about every game that comes out.  Guess what news flash THEY ARE NOT MAKING GAMES SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU.  I know that one caught you off guard, because obviously that is how most of the game haters on here feel.  This has been said many times and I will say it again.  Why waste your time berating and downgrading a game you claim not to like or care about.  If you dont like a game or care about move on there are plenty out there.  If there are no MMO's out there for you that you like, it is time to move onto another genre.  But whatever you do stop trying to make people dislike a game just cause you do.  I mean really why waste more time on a game by  trying to make everyone else not like either.  

Here is another shocker for all you game haters, JUST CAUSE YOU DO NOT LIKE A GAME DOES NOT MEAN THAT PEOPLE WHO DO ARE ANYLESS INTELLIGENT OR LESS "HARDCORE" THEN YOU ARE.  I don't look down on people cause they dont like the same things I do.  So what gives u that right?  What makes u special and so much more in the KNOW then anyone else.  Everyone needs to get over themselves and there sense of HOW I FEEL IS HOW EVERYONE SHOULD FEEL mentality.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Nope. I'm done paying sub fees. There's very little reason for them to exist these days.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Kraylor

GW2 is going back to realizing what made MMOs special?  What planet are you living on?  A world that is separated by loading screens, instanced pvp, no player housing/cities, no open world pvp, no crafting driven economy, easy mode game that takes a matter of days for hardcore or weeks for casual to level cap....that is going back to the MMO roots? 

I am pretty sure majority of players wouldn't even touch the MMO with features you just described. So i am glad GW2 isn't going back to the roots.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

compared to all the other trashes out there including wow mop ?

yes

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Kraylor

I am pretty sure majority of players wouldn't even touch the MMO with features you just described. So i am glad GW2 isn't going back to the roots.

I am willing to accept that I am part of a niche, but that niche is what the MMOs were founded upon.  Tell me, why would you not want a more complex and deep MMO?

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• DallanonDallanon Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by remyburke
    The game is pretty amazing. All those that are hating on it are obviously allergic to fun. Seriously guys, if you don't enjoy GW2 for what it is, I think it's time to just walk away, because nothing is ever going to please you. Have fun being miserable.

This x1000.

After reading through almost every comment in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that no game will ever live up to some people's impossibly high standards.  

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Yes I would, I haven't had this much fun in years.

The shear amount of content is this game puts a lot of recent subscription based games to shame.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    I would sub.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

No 

To many Fantasy MMO's on the market for free to have to worry about subbing for one .. The market is saturated with them so there would be no problem finding one for free I would like 

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Probably not. To be honest the more I play the game the more flaws and bugs I see.  For example.  I was selling some junk to an NPC, a dynamic event rolled passed me and killed the npc camp as well as me and a few afkers. It's kinda amusing, but not uncommon for a event to suddenly appear and get you killed. Dynamic events remind me of rift in that they tend to end up with either nobody doing them, which likely means you can't do them alone or lots of people doing them in which case it's a good old fashioned zerg. Which brings me to WvWvW.

WvWvW in gw2 is just one wave of zerg and counter zerg. Now I know there is some strategy to it in building siege engines but yesterday when trying to take the middle island it was 6 hours of zerg with a few forts taken and retaken in between and when I logged off zero progress was made by any side. However, it does have the honour of being the first game to put my monster of a computer below 10fps.

There are the usual bugs and flaws everyone knows about such as bugged events, personal quests and the damn trading being shut as well as a few other things. Now I might sound like I hate the game, but I don't. I find the combat engaging the exploration and overall look and feel of the game well done. Although I don't think the game deserves the praise, hype and some of the higher scores of 95% it has recieved, I still think it's a good game. It's just not the classic we were promised.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
     I do not pay monthly fees for any game whatsoever.

• GoruduGorudu Member CommonPosts: 79
    I wont even play now and its free ather purchase.

Then why are you creeping on these forums?

• GoruduGorudu Member CommonPosts: 79
    I say no, not because it's a bad game, but because with the amount of free time I have, I can't justify paying monthly. I like the cash shop better, because at least then I can pay when I want. Monthly fees put pressure on the players. I hate feeling guilty for wasting 7.50 because I wanted to go on a little trip and not play my mmo.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

How about an option for I don't know I have not got one cahracter to 80 have no itnention on ruashing there so ahve nto seen enough of the game to make an informed decision on this subject?

However to even consider it the cash shop would have tog o and the game reowrked to work with a sub.I passed on TSW because of their sub+ cash shop and I woudl do the same for this game to.