Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this is why WoW is still the top contender

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

And why a lot of MMOs fail. WoW, has the most AMAZING cinematics. When I first opened up WoW, seeing the Tauren's individual hairs move and the dust he throws...it was just amazing. And after that, every time an expansion hits...there is so much publicity from their cinematics. So much hype comes from them. A good friend of mine gets so excited when a pre-release cinematic comes out for a WoW expansion.

Now there have been a couple MMOs I know of that used cinematics. One used in-game graphics (but no one gets excited about that), and then I believe SWTOR used WoW-like cinematics. And, while SWTOR may have failed in gameplay...because SWTOR used an amazing cinematic trailer. Every fan (including me) got so hyped about it. It was just amazing to watch.

Then GW2...I opened it up, waiting to see an amazing cinematic. And I got...a play? With some 2d art. I was very disappointed and didn't get me excited to play the game at all.

I think if GW2 really wants to succeed, they should come out with an amazing cinematic. This will launch the game into orbit, in terms of popularity. It works for all other MMOs that have done it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Cinemeatics is the reason WoW is on top? Really?

I just... I don't know what to say.

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    cinematics < theme park < sand box/virual world

When in doubt, troll.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Cinematics doesn't make a game last, endgame does which GW2 fails at anyways.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    In my personal opinion WoW has the best cinematics in every single mmo ever created. But im not sure why you need to compare that with GW2. It would be awesome to have GW2 cinematics jsut like WoW has but the lack of them is not a game breaker in any way for me. A subscription is a game breaker for me more than lack of cinematics

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Was really hoping for something else other than CGi for a reason they have succeeded. Oh well.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Artean
    cinematics < theme park < sand box/virual world

Every sandbox game has failed, except for EVE. Funny thing is...EVE too, has AMAZING trailers. Every time their free expansion comes out, an awesome trailer is released.

No coincidence that WoW, with its amazing trailers....and EVE with its amazing trailers...are both successful. Where no other themepark or sandbox is.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Really? Lololol. I didn't know people still played that.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by colddog04

Cinemeatics is the reason WoW is on top? Really?

I just... I don't know what to say.

uh uh uh wait. i do! ...

no i dont. damn.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Cinematics means nothing in the long run, unless you are trying to make a interactive movie.

WoW got to where it was because it opened up the MMO genre to the masses and because all of it's competitors either fell flat on their face, or were too niche to gather anything beyond 300,000 players at maximum.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

And why a lot of MMOs fail. WoW, has the most AMAZING cinematics. When I first opened up WoW, seeing the Tauren's individual hairs move and the dust he throws...it was just amazing. And after that, every time an expansion hits...there is so much publicity from their cinematics. So much hype comes from them. A good friend of mine gets so excited when a pre-release cinematic comes out for a WoW expansion.

Now there have been a couple MMOs I know of that used cinematics. One used in-game graphics (but no one gets excited about that), and then I believe SWTOR used WoW-like cinematics. And, while SWTOR may have failed in gameplay...because SWTOR used an amazing cinematic trailer. Every fan (including me) got so hyped about it. It was just amazing to watch.

Then GW2...I opened it up, waiting to see an amazing cinematic. And I got...a play? With some 2d art. I was very disappointed and didn't get me excited to play the game at all.

I think if GW2 really wants to succeed, they should come out with an amazing cinematic. This will launch the game into orbit, in terms of popularity. It works for all other MMOs that have done it.

true amazing trailers and cutscenes help alot getting "into" the game.

developers undervalue the importance of great cinematic trailers and intros. wow mastered this and those trailers alone create soo much hype its crazy :D

for me GW2 is far away from WoW quality..u dont feel like you are in  big world..everything is instanced..

man WoW has several continents and it really is a huge world with open pvp and no portals everywhere and u can enter every damn city just by walking or riding in. GW2 doesnt have that.

• ProbertProbert Member Posts: 18

I agree with the OP gerenal thought, I wasnt in to all the hyep or anything I wasnt sure If i was going to pick up GW2 or not. Some friends got and told me it was ok, so I did.

I install it, create a char and was waiting for some epic cini cut to explain whats going on..(most games nowadays do it pretty good) and I got some lame thing and I'm not even sure how to describe it, it was so bad. It didnt get me into wanting to play it anyhow.

Not saying the game is bad, its ok nothing really that special about it...we have seen this all before.  IMO it was the worse opening to a game in very long time. TSW had a really good opening wanting me to dive in and figure out what was going on, best one i've seen in awhile.

So far the char story cut scenes are pretty lame and un-eventful, again not say the game overall is bad but the cut scenes and voice overs are horrid to what I was thinking would be the norm anymore with SWTOR and TSW that have taken that to a new level.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Cinematics doesn't make a game last, endgame does which GW2 fails at anyways.

So your statement says that WoW is the only good mmo out there, right? since nothing else has the "endgame"  and only WoW has succesfully lasted long on top

Thankfully i havent reached the so praised endgame in WoW with any of my 8 characters so i dont have to quit the game for other reason than the subscription.

NOTE: I know you didnt directly mention WoW, but obviously compared to your comment it is the only mmo with what people call "endgame" so i had to mention it.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

What if someone doesn't like WOW?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    This is pretty dumb.  DC Universe had the best intro out there, so did WAR, and they never got WoW numbers.  The reason I played WoW was because of the game, not the CGI.  This one is really reaching.
  • sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

Not only that, but I just love how everyone in GW2 made fun of the "Kung fu pandas" while their entire game looks like it was made b Disney. I mean, they have freaking fairies as a race for christ's sake! Not to mention a mediocre story worthy of Saturday mornings in Disney channel.

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

Originally posted by Eir_S
    This is pretty dumb.  DC Universe had the best intro out there, so did WAR, and they never got WoW numbers.  The reason I played WoW was because of the game, not the CGI.  This one is really reaching.

DCUO and WAR had sweet cinematics as well as Swtor but i liked more WoW's, just personal preference. Also at least for me, the reason i played WoW is the Lore, not the gameplay, not the CGI

:)

LOVED DC Universe intro.  Downloaded and stream to my TV every now and then.  Wish they made a movie with that theme and CGI style.  :-)

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Outside DC Universe, which did have a great intro...WAR sold quite a lot. 1.2 million is no small number.

See, it is the excitement and hype that a cinematic builds. Whether the game is good or not is a different matter. Each time a WoW cinematic is released, it is one (or has been in the past, Panderia just seems lame), the most talked about news. Everyone gets very excited when a WoW cinematic is released.

Same with EVE...every time an EVE cinematic is released, I go in and spend 15 dollars cause it was so amazing.

A cinematic (a proper one), does a LOT for a game.

Originally posted by sr7olsniper

Not only that, but I just love how everyone in GW2 made fun of the "Kung fu pandas" while their entire game looks like it was made b Disney. I mean, they have freaking fairies as a race for christ's sake! Not to mention a mediocre story worthy of Saturday mornings in Disney channel.

what game is that? it sounds horrible. Guild Wars 2 is a good one you should check out and just came out.

Originally posted by rojo6934

DCUO and WAR had sweet cinematics as well as Swtor but i liked more WoW's, just personal preference. Also at least for me, the reason i played WoW is the Lore, not the gameplay, not the CGI

:)

I felt the WOW lore was deep. I could tell there was substance behind it.  I just couldnt deal with the comical nature of it.  As soon as I saw "Murder was the case that they gave me"  I couldnt continue playing.

The mechanics were fun and I WANTED to like it, but they were just too outdated for me to keep interest.  If they did an upgraded WOW "2" or some sort of sequel I would definitely give it a spin.   The hook for me would have to be combat.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

I guess that's why SWTOR is doing so well.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

It is something they do so well. All of the trailers have been amazing and some of the in game cinematics are fantastic too, although not as finished of course using the in game character models as the base, but that being said the 'Wrathgate' cinematic is by far still my favourite reward cinematic in the game.

Not sure about this being the reason for WoW being the contender, but it does catch the eye, no doubt about that.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85
    Best cinematics....worst graphics in game.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    In my personal opinion WoW has the best cinematics in every single mmo ever created. But im not sure why you need to compare that with GW2. It would be awesome to have GW2 cinematics jsut like WoW has but the lack of them is not a game breaker in any way for me. A subscription is a game breaker for me more than lack of cinematics

/thread.  GW2 world proves to be one huge epic cinematic experience, doesn't need them.  WoW has amazing cinematics no doubt, but thats prob not why its at the top.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL