Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of us can admit we were wrong?

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I'm actually have a blast personally, now.  At first it was a little meh, but then I joined a guild, participated in a lot of WvW as well as took up some crafting, and it's becoming absolutely addictive.

But then, I went in without paying any major attention to the hype.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It's kind of funny, thinking about the folks asking cae for links.  I know I've spent a way too much time here and there disccussing GW2; so I went looking for my posts.  When I did not find them, it dawned on me - they weren't here.  They had been over in the SWTOR and TSW beta boards; because every where you turned - there were GW2 fanbois like a plague of locusts.  Then again, back on the RIFT beta boards - it was the SWTOR folks.  Was it a case that cae was on some forum where the invading fanbois of some other game were invading?

Of course, cae could be making the whole thing up.  Then again, I might still be asleep in the bed behind me.  I haven't had enough caffeine yet to decide....

It could be a pseudo elaborate troll - that works simply because of the psychological traits of fanbois.  Keep in mind, haters tend to have that same traits - so they are equally simple to troll in such a manner.

Tinfoil hat time, I believe that some fanbois and haters have even used it to their own advantage.  It was the main reason I wanted to comment on this thread - the bit about how things get lumped in together.

• Michael brings up a single criticism, a valid criticism, but he is lumped in with the haters.
    • Donatello brings up a single positive, a valid positive, but he is lumped in with the fanbois.
    • Leonardo brings up a single criticism, a valid criticism...and brings up a single positive, a valid positive - he'll get lumped in with the haters by the fanbois and in with the fanbois by the haters.
    • Raphael reads the posts and looks for something to hit...

As for the tinfoil hat thing, the more silly complaints and positives that are posted - the more likely that legitimate complaints and positives are going to be ignored and lumped in with that silly fanboi/hater nonsense.

Then we get into the obvious part that's ignored.  I don't like green beans.  Nobody's going to convince me that I do.  There are people that do like green beans.  Nobody's going to convince them that they do not.  People do not spend countless hours trying to convince the other that they are wrong - when discussing green beans; but dayum - bring up opinions on a  MMO...and bazinga - both sides go to town.  They're opinnions - it's subjective.  It doesn't work that way.

Sure, there might be the rare factual discussion that takes place - those are always odd - tends to be one side or the other just trolling...or...in denial, delusional, whatever...

But those subjective discussions are just a trip - mind boggling, to say the least.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Tawn47
    Originally posted by caetftl
    Originally posted by Storman1977

OP, I really couldn't care less about GW2.  It looks nice, and apparently has a huge number of fans.  I wish the game all the success in the world.  I will probably not ever play it, it's just not my cup of tea. 

But, right now, all people are asking for is proof that you participated in the "fanboism" of the game.  As it is right now, for all we know, you are just another "hater" pretending to be a "fanboi apologist."  Your account here is less than a week old and under 20 posts, you're an unknown entity.  This is still the internet, bub.  Even widely excepted truth is looked at with skeptisism.  So some schmuck offering up apologies for actions he/she may or may not have done, without proof, comes off entirely disingenuous.

But that in and of itself is the beauty of god's design.  The people that would accept my apology are the ones I am apologizing to, the people that will throw out personal attacks, I don't care about them. 

You are now claiming a higher authority is intervening with this charade..  oh, yeah I mean legitimate post (lol)..   come on, this has gone on long enough - admit you're just having a bit of fun..

I believe in god, and i believe he turns the ankles of the lost so that we may see them coming.  It was a tough pill for me to swallow when I looked back at my posts, and had to witness the type of fanboi I used to be, completely identical to half of the posters in this thread.  But once you start seeing things objectively you have such a great understanding of it all.  I believe god taught me that lesson for a reason, and if you are trying to make a mockery of my faith, well that says enough about you. 

Originally posted by VirusDancer

It's kind of funny, thinking about the folks asking cae for links.  I know I've spent a way too much time here and there disccussing GW2; so I went looking for my posts.  When I did not find them, it dawned on me - they weren't here.  They had been over in the SWTOR and TSW beta boards; because every where you turned - there were GW2 fanbois like a plague of locusts.  Then again, back on the RIFT beta boards - it was the SWTOR folks.  Was it a case that cae was on some forum where the invading fanbois of some other game were invading?

Of course, cae could be making the whole thing up.  Then again, I might still be asleep in the bed behind me.  I haven't had enough caffeine yet to decide....

It could be a pseudo elaborate troll - that works simply because of the psychological traits of fanbois.  Keep in mind, haters tend to have that same traits - so they are equally simple to troll in such a manner.

Tinfoil hat time, I believe that some fanbois and haters have even used it to their own advantage.  It was the main reason I wanted to comment on this thread - the bit about how things get lumped in together.

• Michael brings up a single criticism, a valid criticism, but he is lumped in with the haters.
    • Donatello brings up a single positive, a valid positive, but he is lumped in with the fanbois.
    • Leonardo brings up a single criticism, a valid criticism...and brings up a single positive, a valid positive - he'll get lumped in with the haters by the fanbois and in with the fanbois by the haters.
    • Raphael reads the posts and looks for something to hit...

As for the tinfoil hat thing, the more silly complaints and positives that are posted - the more likely that legitimate complaints and positives are going to be ignored and lumped in with that silly fanboi/hater nonsense.

Then we get into the obvious part that's ignored.  I don't like green beans.  Nobody's going to convince me that I do.  There are people that do like green beans.  Nobody's going to convince them that they do not.  People do not spend countless hours trying to convince the other that they are wrong - when discussing green beans; but dayum - bring up opinions on a  MMO...and bazinga - both sides go to town.  They're opinnions - it's subjective.  It doesn't work that way.

Sure, there might be the rare factual discussion that takes place - those are always odd - tends to be one side or the other just trolling...or...in denial, delusional, whatever...

But those subjective discussions are just a trip - mind boggling, to say the least.

I appreciate your contribution to this thread, while I don't agree with everything you are conveying, I appreciate that it is coming from a very civil and reasonable place.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    not me, that's for sure. but that's just because i wasn't wrong. sorry it didn't work out for you though.
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    I guess I just dont understand what people were expecting. It is a great game and there are elements that go beyond most mmos but I dont know if there is much any developer can do to really make a ground breaking Theme Park. I mean you can make AI behave in semi random behavior pattern..but lets be honest. We have had old school sandbox games in the past. We have had the themepark run. Really the only place left to go for mmos is a super hybrid. Having a complete sandbox game but add theme park encounters in it. I am happy with guild wars 2 but i do not find it to be an game to end all games. It may be around awhile but I doubt to the end all praise as so many had wanted.

Thats what i m thinking

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

It's amazing how ppl are still looking for "The Next Big Thing", the "Perfect Game". Please wake up, if you put these kind of expectations on any game you most likely is going to be always disapointed.

Is GW2 perfect? Of course not! Are there things I would add or cnage? Of coursde yes!

But still, for me, it's a great game! It's fun, it has great graphics, great character creation, the story is interesting, I like the mechanics, the music,  the open world, the cities. I am having fun!

I feel sorry for those who expected something revolutionary because it is not, it's just one very good game. Try to have fun like most of us, come on.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Storman1977

OP, I really couldn't care less about GW2.  It looks nice, and apparently has a huge number of fans.  I wish the game all the success in the world.  I will probably not ever play it, it's just not my cup of tea. 

But, right now, all people are asking for is proof that you participated in the "fanboism" of the game.  As it is right now, for all we know, you are just another "hater" pretending to be a "fanboi apologist."  Your account here is less than a week old and under 20 posts, you're an unknown entity.  This is still the internet, bub.  Even widely excepted truth is looked at with skeptisism.  So some schmuck offering up apologies for actions he/she may or may not have done, without proof, comes off entirely disingenuous.

But that in and of itself is the beauty of god's design.  The people that would accept my apology are the ones I am apologizing to, the people that will throw out personal attacks, I don't care about them. 

Which makes you an unrepented sinner, but hey have fun with that and the burning that will happen afterwards.

Originally posted by gravesworn
    I guess I just dont understand what people were expecting.

That's the rub of it, no?  Different people had different expectations.  Different people experienced different results based on those different expectations.  If somebody expected X, but got Y - and Y < X - well, then they're not going to be happy.  If somebody expected Y and got Y, well - they're going to be fine, right?  Somebody might have expected Z, but gotten Y - where Y > Z; and they could have been pleasantly surprised.  It's that simple in many cases.

Subjective expectations.  Subjective experiences.  Subjective opinions.

Yet there's the need to prove somebody wrong or somebody else right?

Mind boggling...

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

There were a lot of trolls on the gw2 fansite forums, there were a lot of "haters" but there were also a lot of people that seem to have been extremely accurate about how gw2 would turn out, who were also lumped in with the trolls and haters because we were biased.

Let me be the first to apologize... I was one of those fanbois that would defend the game and assumed everything would be really amazing because it is 2012.  Now I feel so silly reflecting on all the past conversations I had.

I remember one fellow sharing his concerns about wvw lag, performance issues in large groups, class mechanics and how the new trinity wasn't any better, and how the game had no truly challenging end game.  I just assumed anet had enough savvy to completely avoid such flaws, but the game I got was really simplistic.  I honestly don't know how it took so long to create a game with so little substance. 

I still play it, albeit casually, and the game isn't hard to stomache or anything, but it definitely isn't that groundbreaking MMO that was going to set the new standard, that many of us swore it would be. 

I think you ARE the first! everyone else is still waiting around with their pitchforks and torches to march on the unbelievers...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    Cae, I'm a rational empiricist.  I can not and do not accept blind faith.  You can and do, good for you.  To expect it of others may be a direct result of your reliance on religion, but it is also an excercise in futility.  Especially on the internet.  Why should someone/anyone except what could be a false apology?  As it is, I've seen no proof of wrong doing.  So, either you have no reason to apologize, or you're trying to get attention.  Without proof of the wrong doing you're apologizing for; we can only surmise, from the information available, that you are merely seeking attention.  
  • paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by kertin
    I was troll but everything I said even thanks to "trolling" is true! I gave GW2 two months until ppl ll find out its not as good as you thought. And now I can say that some of you ralised it sooner than I expected. My true opinions about GW2  cost me few warnings and two bans tbh^^

I don't really see why people troll for the sake of trolling, but I do find it interesting that sometimes the trolls see things more clearly than the anti-trolls.

That's because you, like a lot of people, don't understand what trolling is or what it isn't.  The term became popular despite it's actual meaning and used for things that are not trolling.  Saying "trolls see things more clearly than the anti-trolls" shows that you, like tons of others, call anything you don't agree with trolling.

• HocrsmartHocrsmart Member Posts: 2

This game was vastly overhyped. I think anet was too concerned about pleasing their fanboys than making a great game. So far, its a good game with some nice changes but most of the game is a perfect example of what happens when you let players who have no idea how to make a video game dictate how to make a video game. 

"Oh you guys are sick of the trinity? Alright lets make dungeons a total wipefest."

"Oh you guys want skill based combat? Here, put on a weapon and the game tells you what to do. Also heres two dodges and one heal."

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

This thread isn't for people who are tossing out personal attacks at me just because I stopped being a fanboi... This is to apologize to the people that I once judged unfairly when they were much more objective than me. 

If you really feel the need to try and assassinate my character just because I no longer blindly love the game as you do... go ahead, but it just makes you look as silly as I once did. 

Example of a personal attack: "Your mother was a hamster and your father smellt of elder berries."

What is happening here: we are bringing up the fact that none of your claims about being a fanboy in the past can be shown.  If you do have a posting history, it isn't here, so why not link some of your mistaken claims to show us HOW you were wrong, break down these "past conversations" and dissect your wrongdoing.  It would give you the credibility we say you are lacking.

It appears to me that, of the ways that you can gain credibilty, "look, my post count is bigger than yours" don't seem to appeal to you, and saying things with lots of objective information (links, posting history, comparison charts of false claims and actual results) doesn't seem to be in your style.  Maybe try using some other method (this might help a bit).

Now, in fairness, my opinions are all completely moot, as forums are completely devoid of any requirement for facts, credibility, listening to what others say, or rational responses.  I guess it is up to other posters to call offenders out on these things...

Lastly, I certainly am not going to admit to being wrong about this game.  I enjoy the game immensely.  To me, that is what matters.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Originally posted by paroxysm

That's because you, like a lot of people, don't understand what trolling is or what it isn't.  The term became popular despite it's actual meaning and used for things that are not trolling.  Saying "trolls see things more clearly than the anti-trolls" shows that you, like tons of others, call anything you don't agree with trolling.

Yep, that's another fun one in discussions about games (and it's spread all over the place, to be honest).  If somebody disagrees with you (not you, paroxysm - just one of those general "you" things) - there's no possibility that there could be any validity to what they're saying; even if it's a case of it being an obviously subjective difference where they're sharing their feelings on a matter (looking at a picture of a kitten - one person might get all warm and gushy while another remembers their kitten that died; so they feel sad)...if the other person does not agree, they must be trolling.

All those Republicans be trolling the Democrats, man...they be trolling.  Or was it the Democrats that are trolling the Republicans?  They be trolling each other, and if you disagree with what I say - you be trolling...unless of course, you're looking at it from your perspective and see that I'm disagreeing with you - - - then I'm the one trolling.  Oh noes, everybody be trolling!

It's definitely one of those words that has lost its meaning and is used incorrectly almost all the time...meh.

Anybody that does not agree 100% with something you (again, not YOU - but just a you) - is obviously a trolling fanboi or trolling hater...meh.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I was troll but everything I said even thanks to "trolling" is true! I gave GW2 two months until ppl ll find out its not as good as you thought. And now I can say that some of you ralised it sooner than I expected. My true opinions about GW2  cost me few warnings and two bans tbh^^

I don't really see why people troll for the sake of trolling, but I do find it interesting that sometimes the trolls see things more clearly than the anti-trolls.

It's because the term "troll" is often (and typically) used by closed-minded and intolerant people to describe anyone whose opinion doesn't reflect their own.  It's a lazy way for people to avoid having to actually address a differing opinion in an intelligent manner. Text-book ad-hominem.

The "trolls" often see things more clearly because they're not actually trolls to begin with. They're just not blinded by and emotionally wrapped up in the hype over a game and are willing to see its flaws as well as its features.

Goes something like this:

Person A: "GW2 is amazing! Best MMO ever!"

Person B: "It does look and sound good, but here's a few things that I'm not so crazy about...."

Person A: "OMG, go away troll. I'm sick of you haters not agreeing with me! Stop posting so I can go on believing that my opinion is the only valid one!"

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

There were a lot of trolls on the gw2 fansite forums, there were a lot of "haters" but there were also a lot of people that seem to have been extremely accurate about how gw2 would turn out, who were also lumped in with the trolls and haters because we were biased.

Let me be the first to apologize... I was one of those fanbois that would defend the game and assumed everything would be really amazing because it is 2012.  Now I feel so silly reflecting on all the past conversations I had.

I remember one fellow sharing his concerns about wvw lag, performance issues in large groups, class mechanics and how the new trinity wasn't any better, and how the game had no truly challenging end game.  I just assumed anet had enough savvy to completely avoid such flaws, but the game I got was really simplistic.  I honestly don't know how it took so long to create a game with so little substance. 

I still play it, albeit casually, and the game isn't hard to stomache or anything, but it definitely isn't that groundbreaking MMO that was going to set the new standard, that many of us swore it would be. 

Why dont you post with your real forum name instead, or are you so afraid that your real forum name is one of troll who keeps bashing GW2?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Part of your problem was believing in the hype to begin with.  It was a (known) marketing tool.  GW2 was never going to be the savior, messiah, or whatever other rediculous title that was awarded.  No game ever will be.  Think about it... in order for that to be true almost EVERY player would have to love and support the game.  And we all know thats an impossibility since every gamer is different.  Throw in the fact of the evolutionary changes and that in and of itself alienates a portion of the gamers.  Some gamers simply wont like that.  So how is that comment even believeable?

Even the issues are subjective.  Some gamers (such as myself) dont allow the issues to detract from the value I recieve from the game.  Others will feel the opposite.

So what exactly are you admitting here?  

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am not concerned about the OP's posting history, he made his point, he said his piece.

Honestly I am an MMO skeptic so I don't jump on the Fanboi bus very often.   GW2 is a good game, it is Fun but for me it isn't very satisfying, though it has provided tons of forum entertainment challenging the Fanbois proclamations on its supposed genre Superoirity.

I do hope that it becomes an AMAZING success for years to come....

Because it optimizes everything I see wrong with the MMO genre ( Solo play, No risk only reward, ADHD progression, Themeparks) and if it can convince the Masses to never play another MMO then DEVs will be forced to make something different and prehaps even go back to the traditonal MMO elements from back in the day like   Grouping, Challenge and Risk in a Virtual world.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Nice of you to admit it. I have been saying for a while now that GW 2 is just a solid ThemePark MMO and that is what it is. After a few months, those people who thinks this game is so awesome, will realise this as well because I heard the same type of praising for SW:TOR. But when you look at both games objectively they really are not doing something different.

The gameplay is still the same linear progression through level bracketed zones and quests with the difference that the quests behave differently in the sense that you dont walk up to an NPC but rather just bump into them (or in the case of heart quests, look them up in the map).

PvP is not much different, the WvWvW looks quite similar to WAR'r or DAoC's RvR. The instanced one is also similar to WAR or WOW with the (dis)advantage that everyone gets bumped up to max level.

So even though this game have alot of novelties, like that you can fight when you are downed, weapon swapping and attunement and what not, at the core it is just another ThemePark. A good, solid one, but still most people will get bored in a few months and move on. That is the nature of ThemePark MMOs.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by VirusDancer
    Originally posted by paroxysm

Yep, that's another fun one in discussions about games (and it's spread all over the place, to be honest).  If somebody disagrees with you (not you, paroxysm - just one of those general "you" things) - there's no possibility that there could be any validity to what they're saying; even if it's a case of it being an obviously subjective difference where they're sharing their feelings on a matter (looking at a picture of a kitten - one person might get all warm and gushy while another remembers their kitten that died; so they feel sad)...if the other person does not agree, they must be trolling.

All those Republicans be trolling the Democrats, man...they be trolling.  Or was it the Democrats that are trolling the Republicans?  They be trolling each other, and if you disagree with what I say - you be trolling...unless of course, you're looking at it from your perspective and see that I'm disagreeing with you - - - then I'm the one trolling.  Oh noes, everybody be trolling!

It's definitely one of those words that has lost its meaning and is used incorrectly almost all the time...meh.

Anybody that does not agree 100% with something you (again, not YOU - but just a you) - is obviously a trolling fanboi or trolling hater...meh.

Indeed.  Yesterday, I was talking to my nephew.  He described a situation in an fps game where he "trolled" someone.  He was all happy about it.  I proceeded to explain to him that what he did was not trolling, how trolling is a bad thing, and how he was just being a jerk to the other player.  Hoping he got it.   It took forever for him to learn about how cheating at games was cheating yourself.  I explained and explained.  But he couldn't see it until he did it himself and saw how boring the game got, how none of it was his skill, and how it cut short his fun.   Listening to him lamenting how stupid cheating at games is was awesome.  Saying things like "I wonder how good they are without their cheats." gave me a little spark of hope. 

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

I accept your apologies, OP

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Yamota

Nice of you to admit it. I have been saying for a while now that GW 2 is just a solid ThemePark MMO and that is what it is. After a few months, those people who thinks this game is so awesome, will realise this as well because I heard the same type of praising for SW:TOR. But when you look at both games objectively they really are not doing something different.

The gameplay is still the same linear progression through level bracketed zones and quests with the difference that the quests behave differently in the sense that you dont walk up to an NPC but rather just bump into them (or in the case of heart quests, look them up in the map).

PvP is not much different, the WvWvW looks quite similar to WAR'r or DAoC's RvR. The instanced one is also similar to WAR or WOW with the (dis)advantage that everyone gets bumped up to max level.

So even though this game have alot of novelties, like that you can fight when you are downed, weapon swapping and attunement and what not, at the core it is just another ThemePark. A good, solid one, but still most people will get bored in a few months and move on. That is the nature of ThemePark MMOs.

Im trying to figure out what everyone was expecting?  I thought ArenaNET was transparent in what they were delivering.  And its execution IS different from what we have today and its in that where I enjoy the game.  

But it being the best thing ever, I dont see any game holding that title ever.  All games have flaws and limitations.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by redman875

Overhypeing a game is just as bad and just as negative for sales as overly trashing a game.

Honestly, neither are that damning in the end.. these are forums with a few hundred regular posters and some lurkers.  We're just bored people arguing, the real success or failure of GW2 or any MMO is almost completely out of our hands.

This, the forum PvP is just for those who like a rumble, if you like a game you are a fanboy/girl, if you dislike it you are a troll. I didn't bring down ToR with my pithy comments and no one here will bring down GW2 or make it succeed, it's all just froth and the appeal of the game is the coffee.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    I find it to be really fascinating, that I make a thread to discuss gw2 and apologize to people of a certain crowd, and the other crowd attempts to derail it with personal attacks, insults, and accusations.  I can completely relate to that compulsion though, I was once just like that. 

You keep mentioning this "crowd" you wronged and how you want to communicate your regret to them.  Seeing as how you won't reveal who you are, where you did it and what you did, the apology is pointless. 

Even as a trolling attempt, this is pathetic.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

It's because the term "troll" is often (and typically) used by closed-minded and intolerant people to describe anyone whose opinion doesn't reflect their own.  It's a lazy way for people to avoid having to actually address a differing opinion in an intelligent manner. Text-book ad-hominem.

The "trolls" often see things more clearly because they're not actually trolls to begin with. They're just not blinded by and emotionally wrapped up in the hype over a game and are willing to see its flaws as well as its features.

Goes something like this:

Person A: "GW2 is amazing! Best MMO ever!"

Person B: "It does look and sound good, but here's a few things that I'm not so crazy about...."

Person A: "OMG, go away troll. I'm sick of you haters not agreeing with me! Stop posting so I can go on believing that my opinion is the only valid one!"

A bit more like this:

Person A: "I don't like GW2 because (insert made up issue about a feature/mechanic that they read somewhere from another troll but havent experienced)"

Person B: "That's not right at all. It actually works like this (insert actual information from the game)"

Person A: Completely ignore corrections to their lies / misconceptions and "OMG you fanbois are so blind to everything. You cant see the truth that I see. Im smarter than all of you because I know (repeat made up issue again, even though they still havent played or are just too stupid to understand simple things in MMOs)"

This discussion has been closed.