Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

Comments

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I probably wouldn't seeing as how I don't have the time to get a full amount of gameplay a month for a $15 sub fee. It feels a tad bit broken as is right now but not too terrible. I am enjoying for the reason that it doesn't have a sub. I don't have to force myself to play hardcore to feel like I am getting my $15 worth every month.

• elm33elm33 Member Posts: 15
    no way. its not worth a subscription. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by remyburke
    The game is pretty amazing. All those that are hating on it are obviously allergic to fun. Seriously guys, if you don't enjoy GW2 for what it is, I think it's time to just walk away, because nothing is ever going to please you. Have fun being miserable.

I agree. Of the people that I know playing they are having a blast. I seldom if ever see anything negative in the game chat, it is very refreshing to read things about game content and not about someones mother. The game is definately keeping people entertained! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm not playing the game now...I'm deferring my purchase until probably the first patch. However, I would not be playing the game if it had a sub. A lot of people would see this as a reflection of GW2's value. I see it as I'm tired of paying subscriptions and feeling like I'm wasting money if I'm not playing the game every day.

I kinda got that same feeling when I started working alot more. I did not have the time to put in a game like I used to so that made me question paying a sub fee for a game.

Around £2.50 a week for a sub...

I am not sure how little I would actually have to be able to play to question that kind of money. 30 mins a week maybe?

If I honestly had this little time to be playing the game I honestly would not even be playing a MMORPG. That's just me though.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    When one of the main selling points is not having a sub fee it seems like you should be asking if people would have bought it with a sub fee. My answer would be no. If we are really honest nobody would stick around if they pulled a sub fee out of nowhere tomorrow.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48

Kind of a foolish question, really. Would you still play it if it only had 3 classes? What if you couldn't use a mouse?

It doesn't have a sub fee, it has more than three classes, and you can use a mouse. I play it and I like it.

Honestly, I don't know that I am playing another sub fee game in the future. I think that those days are past for me.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I'm not playing the game now...I'm deferring my purchase until probably the first patch. However, I would not be playing the game if it had a sub. A lot of people would see this as a reflection of GW2's value. I see it as I'm tired of paying subscriptions and feeling like I'm wasting money if I'm not playing the game every day.

I kinda got that same feeling when I started working alot more. I did not have the time to put in a game like I used to so that made me question paying a sub fee for a game.

I am not sure how little I would actually have to be able to play to question that kind of money. 30 mins a week maybe?

If I honestly had this little time to be playing the game I honestly would not even be playing a MMORPG. That's just me though.

I will not pay to play a mmo if I dont have the time to actually sit down and enjoy playing it. Its not about the $15 because its not alot of money at all.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I will not pay to play a mmo if I dont have the time to actually sit down and enjoy playing it. Its not about the $15 because its not alot of money at all.

oh, I agree Mannish, the sub is actually a pittance. How much time per week makes that £2.50 a worthwhile spend to you though?

Like I say, mine is probably 30mins at least. Maybe an hour. If I played less then that I definitely would question the value of a sub. I agree with you though, if I had this little time to spend in the game I wouldn't choose a MMO as my genre.

How little would you have to play before you feel like you are 'wasting' money? You really feel like you need to be playing 'every day' in order to get value out of that £2.50? Was that a literal statement?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i voted taht i dont pay subs for any game jsut because the poll its missing options. 

If GW2 had a sub i would play it the same way i play WoW. In WoW i dont pay for more than 2-4 months in a year because i dislike subscriptions. I like the game so i play the free month and then within the year i alternate 2-4 months of sub, no more than that and only for WoW because i love its lore with a passion, nothing else. GW2 is amazing and the B2P model is perfect so ill be playing GW2 for a long time and buying expansions and some vanities here and there as i see fit.

Ive bought every new sub based mmo and i only have played the first free month in all of them. Only WoW i payed like 5  months total since i bought it.

B2P for life (for me)

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

I wouldn't pay a sub myself, I find it hard to log in and play for more than a couple of hours at the moment, the DE's actually got a bit tiresome for me, was hoping things would get a bit more exciting as I progressed but they just rinse and repeat the map objectives for every zone. I also don't feel connected to my character for some reason, might be because of the fairly basic character creation or possibly the fact my character has a predetermined voice and scripting for my story, something I hated in swtor (sorry to bring that game up, had to), I personally think they really could of added some fun features like adding fortresses around the world to defend etc, I know this is basically what happens in pvp but I think some open world pvp or tower defence against npc's would be fun for the game.

So no I wouldn't sub, but at least as it is now it's always going to be there should I feel like playing.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Hands down, yes. 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

If this game isn't worth a monthly fee, then NO game is worth a monthly fee.

That said, the game's design is such that if you really like the game you'll probably have to buy gems at least for shared storage.  Even with separate crafting storage, shared storage fills up pretty fast.

So while I'm glad they don't charge a sub fee, I've happily paid for gems to unlock additional storage, and may even buy some more character slots.

• genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44

No, if they decided to add a sub model. I wouldnt play it any more if I already own it. Because that will be a bait and switch.  One of the reason why Guild wars sold alot in the first place becuase it was buy to play. It wouldnt seem like GWs if they turned it into a sub model mid way.

No I not cheap as I do pay subs to other mmos one at a time.It just it should stay a buy 2 play model which what worked for the game.  

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Probably not, the reason being i like to play other games and having that MMO sub monkey around my neck is more a chore these days.

It's not a finacial matter as i will be spending in the ingame store, it's just that when i sub to a game i find i have to play, rather than doing as i do now and enjoy many games, across many genres and platforms.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

No, I think not.

While it's a well-made game, the "content" itself (other than the basics like the artwork, environments and sounds) is just not really high caliber in my opinion. And the systems do not have enough variety. I pay for either variety of systems or depth of content. SWTOR and TSW has rich stories. WOW has rich endgame and a variety of systems. From what I've seen, GW2 has none of that. 

It's a good game to step into and explore, and I *am* enjoying myself doing just that, but that's going to take, what? A month? More or less.

So, yeah, as things stand, to me this seems like a solid one-month game with a lot of "above averages" and almost nothing brilliant except for the artwork. If they added some more systems (preferably non-combat ones to start with) and much more story of much higher quality, I could think of paying a sub. 

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

It depends on the model.  I wouldnt do a B2P for 60 dollars and a sub.

But if they dropped the B2P I would sub for 3-4 months (covering the same sixty dollars I wouldnt mind investing to begin with).

From my perspective the sub model is dead for me.  My last attempt at a sub will be FFXIV 2.0 and Im not sure if that will win me over.  I just have an issue paying a monthly fee for a game that I wont be able to play everyday.  I much prefer a cash shop where I can pay when I want for exactly what I want for ala cart.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I'm sorry, but everytime I see someone complain about paying a sub. all I see is "I'm cheap and need to get a better job so I stop thinking of $15 a month as the end of the proverbial world".
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    Game is a step back from GW1 imo...I can't stand it

Those are pretty strong words! GW1 really sucked.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by abyss404
    I'm sorry, but everytime I see someone complain about paying a sub. all I see is "I'm cheap and need to get a better job so I stop thinking of $15 a month as the end of the proverbial world".

You gotta realize that some of us don t have alot of time so often we dont get our moneys worth......Others like to play multiple MMOs....They dont want that 15 per game to turn into 100+ a month.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by abyss404

For me, it's not the amount of money.  I've already bought 2 months worth of sub in gems to open up more storage space.

It's just the idea that I might pay $15 bucks one month and not even log in once.  Or only for a short time, etc.  To me, this feels like buying a ticket to go see a movie and never entering the theatre.

Next month, LotRO RoR comes out and when that happens, I may not play this game once for a month or two.  But I will come back to it, and I'll have all the access I always had, and all my storage space to boot.  Same as when the next MMO or SPRPG comes out.

So for me, it's not about how much it is, it's about feeling like I'm buying something tangible and "virtually" eternal with that money.

• bladedancerbladedancer Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Yeah I would, at least for a while, it's not the single best mmorpg out there, nor is it the savior of the genre, I find it entertaining however, and suits me well enough :)

Peter Griffin: you know those germans, if you dont join the party, they?ll come get ya

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    Game is a step back from GW1 imo...I can't stand it

Bingo. I m also going to say this poll will be as accurate as the ratings system here. I would bet half the yes' would not sub.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Nope.
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    The game really isn't based around having a sub, so no.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I'd probably sub for a month or three then play somehting else then return to it the same I do withevery other sub based game .

Sub based games are on the way out so the question in a few years will be would you ever play a sub based game again .

Once people get used to buy to play games chances are in a few years the majority of games will see a subscriptions as a rip off .